2.5

Pros

Cons

• Customer Service:
    • Available Plans:

Farmers Insurance takes good care of you fast.

I have had Farmers insuarnce for 4years now and I would never switch to another company. I have Auto insurance for me and my wife as well as home owners insurance with Farmers. The prices have never increased over the 4 years I have had the insurance and that is real surprising since we had a house fire in 2008 and the house and all our personal property in it had to be replaced. Farmers handled our claim quickly and got us our money fast and were always helpful throughout the whole ordeal. Most companies immediatedly raise your rates after a claim, but Farmers did not raise ours. I have never needed to make an auto claim but I believe they would handle it just as well as the handled the home owners claim. I have not tried anything else they offer but the insurance part is great. I would never switch to another company. Even if they could offer a really low price, I do not think I will ever get better service from any other company. If it is available in your area you should give Farmers insurance a try, you will not regret it.

middle of the road, it all depends on what you are looking for

As with all companies, Farmers has its good points and bad points.

I actually was a customer of Farmers, and then became an Agent with Farmers, so I have seen the...Read complete review

As with all companies, Farmers has its good points and bad points.

I actually was a customer of Farmers, and then became an Agent with Farmers, so I have seen the penny from both sides.

As a customer, things always went smoothly, I never had a problem, except with the constant rate increases and the various "Miscellaneous Charges" that never could be explained or removed! My agent was great and was the reason I thought it would be a good idea to become one.

As an agent, I realized that the Farmers system is greatly flawed and their computers don't always synch up with the information that is input. For example, when a customer gets a renters, auto and life policy, they get a multi-policy discount. However, when the system runs it validation, if there is more than one driver in the house, but only one life policy, it will drop that discount with no warning to either the agent or the customer, until the customer gets their bill and sees a huge increase. And fixing it, well that is a complete JOKE!

Even the best agent in the district where I worked had MAJOR problems with the different systems which was highly frustrating. Also the billing, they allow you to pay monthly, even give you the option to get a discount for setting up 'Auto-Pay' but then they will charge you not only a monthly fee based on the amount billed, but also an initial 'Policy Fee', so you are actually paying MORE to pay it monthly, even with the supposed DISCOUNT they give.  Also, they don't give a discount for those who pay it in full up front like some companies do.

It is also very apparent that the company has no interest in 'GOING GREEN' or even being eco-friendly. Any change, either by an agent or by the system just running, they send you all sorts of mail. A minor change, like you added a secondary phone number, they will send you the ENTIRE policy again, which can be a good 30 pages.  Any billing adjustment, they send you a new bill. I had a customer that needed to make an adjustment to her policy, and it generated 14 pieces of mail in 5 business days.  I actually had customers calling and asking me to STOP SENDING THEM THINGS IN THE MAIL. It was ridiculous. And there is no way to "turn off" the mail, or the constant notifications.  What was frustrating more than anything though was when the customer would get 3 bills for the same billing period but with 3 totally different amounts due on each. Then when they would call me looking for an explanation, I would call the billing department and they couldn't give me an answer either.

Also there was never a way to tell a customer "This is what you will see on your bill" or "This is exactly how much you owe and you will be paid in full", because there was never a certainty it would remain consistent.  Bills constantly were wrong and the way Farmers has their billing set up, there is never a time when the customer is actually "paid in full" they are either ahead or slightly behind.

It was a very illuminating experience working for them after I had been a customer for so long. Their systems and the lack of flexibility in their products were so frustrating that I removed their products from my agency and switched my insurance to State Farm.

All I got from them was constant frustrations with no answers, and uncompetitively priced, limited products to offer customers; and HUGE problems with billing or discounts.

Even for a perfect driver, you will experience rate hikes for no apparent reason. They have excellent claims department, but at the same time, they will be very stingy as what will be covered and how much they will pay. Also unless you ask the specific questions, they won't just give out answers or information.

So as a consumer when you are not a professional in that industry and don't have the time to be a professional in the industry, you are counting on the transparency and information the agent or company gives you, hoping it is the WHOLE story and not just part of it, like bait. However, with Farmers you will find, its very hard to get the WHOLE story or even the consistent story every time.

NEVER GET FARMERS

from Los Lunas, NM

Comments about Farmers Insurance:

This is a terrible insurance company. I have had so many problems since the beginning.
First I got Farmers because I was paying way to much and wanted a cheaper insurance, Famers just so happened to say they were the cheapest, which they were the first few months. After the third month of having this insurance it went up and when I called they said my Military discount got taken off for whatever reason and that they were going to add it back on. So I the next time I go to pay my bill I call and use my card over the phone. Then all of the sudden I have purchases for hundreds of dollars I've never been to. Turns out right around that time my agent just up and left without even telling his employees. Seems weird to me. So then I'm now moved to a new agent who retires a couple months later, so now I was again switched to another agent. I finally got a new insurance company, hoping I'd be done with Farmers, NO. I cancelled my policy 3 months ago and they are still trying to pull money from my bank account causing me overdraft fees and return item fees and when I call all they say is it wasn't cancelled. This company is ridiculous and no one every seems to know what they are doing. Please do not even consider going through this company for insurance you payment will go up every month without an explanation and even when you cancel your policy apparently they think its still ok to charge you. Also no one has gotten back with me on this issue they keep sending me to different people.

Horrible coverage

from New Jersey

Comments about Farmers Insurance:

I recently had an auto accident man who hit me from behind at 60mph received multiple summons went thru my policy needed rental horrible took rental less then a week after accident haven't even received settlement no questions it was 100 negligence of the other vehicle however treated as if they worked for him had a friend who was hit head on went thru her geico policy and they even helped her with all of her other expenses and she had 30 days to get out of rental best part is I'm injured and my own insurance company is not helping me

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

Keeps increasing premiums for home and auto

from Oklahoma

Comments about Farmers Insurance:

Just received notice that my mortgage payment has increased and solely due to farmers raising the annual home owners premium. Every other facet that calculates escrow actually decreased including taxes! I've never filed a claim but I'm certain I'm paying for losses of others that Farmers has paid out. I'm switching immediately to another carrier.

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

Poor claims processing and no call backs

from Hobs new mexico

Comments about Farmers Insurance:

I had a claim with my house in hobbs new mexico, I called my agent there four times and did not get a call back. I finally got ahold of front desk answering service and told that the agent would call me back. Still nothing. I filed the claim and since I was not in state I had them get in touch with a friend. Told they could not respond for 3 days. City told me repair needed immediate attention. Farmers agent showed up three days later and called me for failure to show. I told him that he had set up the time with my friend there. I was not in the state. He told me that is not his fault that I was not in state and was cancelling my claim. I called you. Got it repaired and charged for 5 hour work but work actually took 1 hour by a company there. . I called farmers and told them that I had gotten it fixed and told since I did not wait for their man to get there, there would be no reimbursement and after deductible offered 35.00. Farmers is a joke overall. The first time I had a claim they were all over it. Now they take my money and run. Agent never did ever call me back or try to help.

Lazy and Incompetent Insurance Campany

from Fort Worth, Tx

Comments about Farmers Insurance:

Got into an accident I was almost all the way backed out and a lady was backing up and hit me. She event admitted it was her fault at the time until she made a claim against me. There was no damage to my vehicle but hers was already missed up. Farmers Insurance got an investigator that lived in another state and never really investigated. He only got statements. He never really tried to contact the witness. I am leaving Farmers and will never use them again.

cost more than quoted

from Salem IL

Comments about Farmers Insurance:

We called and spent a lot of time checking into getting a new car and home insurance policy from different places, Farmers came in the lowest. We got our quote about a month before our old policy ended and now after having them for 3 weeks, they are claiming we don't qualify for the discounts they told us we got, even after giving them all the stuff they asked for before. Now we are waiting to see how much it is going to go up so we know if we should start looking around again.

Confusion, Secrecy & Ethics Issues

from Iowa

Comments about Farmers Insurance:

We bought a home, and switched our coverage of 41 years from another company to Farmers Insurance due to rising premium costs. I paid insurance in full to Farmers and the local agent was VERY HELPFUL. However, I never got any more communications from them until the local agent called to tell me that I had not sent the final payment. I drove into his office and handed him the check that same day (Friday) and told him that I would be back the next Monday to insure a newer car through them, also. The agent took my check, smiled and then went off to lunch. On arriving Monday morning, the office was closed...with a note taped on the window--until further notice...no agent, customers standing outside the building and all of us wondering what was going on. I called the local and the corporate office many times. No one knew what was going on. After repeated calls, I found that the agent had been "let go or quit." I discovered they had dropped my auto insurance 2 weeks after taking it out, my homeowners insurance was cancelled because the inspector "could not find it" even though both the corporate office and another local office did find it! And since the inspector could not find it, the company just decided to cancel my policy--without notice, sending me a check as reimbursement at the end of August and their explanation was: "company declined!" When they discovered their mistake after calling them on it, they insisted on making my insurance "retroactive" to the date I first applied for insurance--both for the car insurance and the house insurance. Not only is honest dubious but so are their ethics. I would not be insured by this company, if I were you. There are plenty of businesses out there who will do right by you...regardless of who's at fault. It just seems incredible that Farmers Insurance wants their money AFTER the fact...RETROACTIVE. That's not insurance at all. That's like betting on a horse after he crosses the finishing line!

Jacks up premiums by 25+% yearly; terrible customer service

from Philadelphia, PA

Comments about Farmers Insurance:

I switched from progressive to farmers last year because they were the best deal for a home & auto bundle. Prior to signing up, I asked my agent how much renewal increases were, and his response was so sales-y: "it really depends on your driving record and claims record but usually the renewal is just a few dollars more". Having had 0 claims in my life and a perfect driving record, I was surprised that my rates had gone up 30% this year upon renewal. My agent argued that this increase was due to analysis by their underwriters. Whatever the cause, it was a shock.

Customer service is fairly poor using the 1800 number. I had late fees incorrectly applied to my account, which took 30 minutes and tons of arguing to fix. There were other problems with overbilling, deceptive coverage (read your contract carefully!) and promises not fulfilled (e.g. Coming to my house to photograph my belongings). In all, this is a terrible company to do business with. I'm just thankful I didn't have to deal with them for a claim!

WORST Company

from DECATUR< IL

Comments about Farmers Insurance:

My husband and I switched to farmers insurance after a not so happy incident with state farm, where their depreciation value for our new vehicle drove us to get a repossession from our new replacement vehicle after our car accident. Farmer's knew this and stated since the accident was considered not our fault as the other person was driving without insurance they wouldn't count it against us in our new policy with them if we switched. So we did. BAD BIG MISTAKE! Farmer's kept us on the edge, for 3 months straight the agent here in Decatur, IL kept lying to us about what our coverage was about and how much we were supposed to pay. We had no discounts applied and he lied about not letting the not at fault accident count against us. It did, for 3 months we were paying the quote the agent gave us, $100 for one vehicle per month...on the 4th month we get a cancellation notice directly from the hq of Farmer's stating we didn't even pay the down payment for the starting insurance coverage and we owed $400 additionally for late payments! WHAT?!! When I go to my agents office with this letter he shuns me, says he's on the way to a meeting...He leaves the office and doesn't come back. I spend the next week trying to contact him. 24 hours before the cancellation notice takes effect, he contacts me lets me know I knew all about this that because of my accident I didn't qualify for any discounts, even if we were not at fault, and no forgiveness was applied, and he told me we had to pay an extra $400 for being late on my insurance payments! I about flipped! I couldn't believe this human being used us a scapegoat for his lies and mistakes...BAD BAD BAD COMPANY!

Farmers - Lesson Learned

from Roscoe, IL

Comments about Farmers Insurance:

When I had an issue and needed Farmers it took them 2 weeks to provide my detailed policy and 6 weeks to make a judgement on the claim. I highlighted this performance to their President and CEO and he offered to switch agents for me. How does throwing his agent under the bus help with poor internal performance? I then checked Consumer Reports etc and talked with local auto repair shops to find Farmers is lowly rated by all. Switched all insurance to Amica. We pay more but have piece of mind knowing we are with a top company.