2.2
FLOR Carpet Design Squares

FLOR Carpet Design Squares

2.2

• Reviewer Profile:
    • Avid do-it-yourselfer (4)

Recyclable, practical, & stylish. Yep, I AM talking about carpet

I had seen FLOR carpet tiles in magazines and liked the concept and look of them, but I resisted actually buying them because I was dubious that they'd actually work. Big Mistake! In person, they look great and even better, they work fantastically well too.

If you don't know exactly what FLOR tiles are, they are essentially 20" x 20" square tiles of carpeting that you can configure into a rug or even wall-to-wall carpet. They arrive in boxes and the first thing you'll notice is how heavy and sturdy they are, with a solid backing as well as stickers used to keep them in place. This addressed part of my initial concern - I thought they would slide around, but that wasn't the case AT ALL. Ours have been installed for over a year now and they are still in perfect position.

In terms of installation, you can literally do it yourself, although if you have a big space, two people working together is best to make sure everything lines up. If you are installing them as a rug, you need NOTHING else...no staples, no tape or crazy tools. If you are going to install them as a carpet, you might have to cut them to size to fit so that could be trickier, but overall - I was impressed with the ease of everything. I personally installed a medium sized rug and a small entryway rug and it took me less than 2 hours in total (and that's with me being a PERFECTIONIST about it lining up).

Interface FLOR tiles are a perfect if you have a dog, messy husband, kids, or just get tired of the same old look all the time. If you spill something, pick up a tile, wash it out, and put it back in place. If you have a dog named Bamboo or at least one with similar, um, habits, you will find this extremely useful. If you decide that you're tired of stripes, you can easily mix it up.

But if I just talked about how easy they were to use, I'd be missing the best part - AMAZING DESIGNS. They have an enormous array of styles, colors, patterns and textures. You can be extraordinarily bold with color or patterns or totally neutral too. Mine are gray, orange and citrine - and I love them. But I equally love the Disney tiles for kids...and well, they have SO many I couldn't possibly list here that you should just check out the site (psst - the skulls design is pretty fun!). I believe that one of the best parts of the FLOR product is actually their website and how easy they make things for you. They have tons of design galleries for inspiration and a helpful calculator tool to make planning your space a breeze. You can even order small sample packs so you can try before you buy.

Last but not least, FLOR tiles are recyclable and as a company, FLOR is committed to being environmentally responsible. At the end of the day, that might be the true definition of "Great design."

PVC backing is highly toxic

We were looking at laying FLOR Carpet Tiles in our 4 year old daughter's bedroom. These tiles are touted as being "eco friendly" for their recycled content. But when looking at green and recycled products, a high priority concern for our family is always the health effects of off-gassing of chemicals and chemical contents. FLOR tiles are made with a recycled PVC backing. According to the CHEJ (Center for Health, Environment & Justice),

“PVC is the most toxic plastic for our health and environment. No other plastic contains or releases as many dangerous chemicals. These include dioxins, phthalates, vinyl chloride, ethylene dichloride, lead, cadmium, and organotins. There is no safe way to manufacture, use or dispose of PVC products.”When we look at our daughter spending up to 10 hours a day in close proximity to these tiles, we have to look elsewhere for another less toxic floor covering. The whole modular tile concept is brilliant from a design perspective, but my daughter's health is more important.

be wary

from Anaheim CA

Pros

Cons

• Attracts Mold/Mildew

Comments about FLOR Carpet Design Squares:

DO NOT USE ON HARDWOOD FLOORS! Mine are ruined.

Waste of Money

from boyne city, MI

About Me Avid Do-It-Yourselfer

Pros

• Attractive Design

Comments about FLOR Carpet Design Squares:

The only thing good about this carpet tile area rug was the design I chose. It should have been 24 tiles to put together WHICH IS WHAT YOU ARE LED TO BELIEVE. It turned out to be 48 pieces. The tiles were cut in arched pieces. Some pieces were less that a 16th of and inch. Try making them stick with the dots. The cuts were not precise so the pattern never matched properly. You can tell where each piece of carpet tile is. Lines everywhere. It does not blend into an area rug. The pieces keep separating. I ordered extra sticky dots and have put this together 5 times over the past 6 months. It is not in a high traffic area. Make sure you order samples for true nap and color. The description of the tiles is inaccurate. You cannot shampoo this rug! Make sure you put the rug exactly where you want it to be because you cannot easily move it. Better yet, DO NOT PURCHASE IT!!!

Nope, don't do it.

from Washington, DC

About Me Avid Do-It-Yourselfer

Pros

• Attractive Design

Cons

• Deteriorates
          • Poor customer sevice
          • Quickly discolors
          • Uncomfortable Texture

Comments about FLOR Carpet Design Squares:

I do not recommend using this company for your flooring needs. The product looks nice, but does not last long and is very overpriced. Other companies are able to offer a higher quality product at less than half the price. It's also a risk to buy from this company, because they force you to get the product shipped to your home at a high cost, and if anything is wrong with the product, customer service will belittle you over the phone and make you pay shipping (which can be $100+) to return it. They will then only give you a partial refund. Avoid.

Web image should match the product.

from Seattle, Wa

Comments about FLOR Carpet Design Squares:

We ordered an area rug online. When it arrived it was much lighted that the online image. When I asked for a credit or to be able to use their bulk rate for return shipping they refused. It cost $150 to return the rug. If it had been the color I ordered I would have understood. When the item that arrives isn't what was ordered, they need to cut the customer a little slack.

If you have pets you really need to try these!

Comments about FLOR Carpet Design Squares:

I love my Flor Carpet tiles. I started out with them in my family room near the door and now they are in every room of my house covering my hardwood floors. I design them to be area rugs and runners. I love the color and designs and I mix and match them. Sometimes I change the ones in the bedroom and put them in the living room and vice versa. All rooms tiles coordinate so this way I can change colors, and how I place them for a new look depending on my mood and the season.

I love the designs. Some designs look industrial but then I dont choose them.

They are durable in my house with 5 large dogs. I love that if a dog vomits or goes potty on one then I can change it out with a spare and wash and dry the soiled one. How convenient!

Ease of Installation
            How much easier could it be? I have had some problems with them shifting but then I replace the dot. I have noticed that dirt will collect under the tile. I pick them up at least once a year and wash off the back. They are not thick plush carpets but they last with wear which suits me fine in my situation.

Huge disappointment!

Comments about FLOR Carpet Design Squares:

I received my FLOR today and was so excited that I couldn't wait to open up the box and start laying out tiles. I'd been to my local FLOR store twice and couldn't wait to piece this rug together to complete my livingroom...and as soon as I started taking tiles out, I was shocked at how poor the quality of the cuts were. Now, the quality of FLOR's tiles isn't great to begin with, but it is a green product and I was happy that I was choosing something Earth-friendly-because of that, I could live with the low-quality look and feel of the FLOR tiles. BUT! The tiles looked as if they had been cut by a five year old with a shaky hand using a butter knife. At least 1-2 edges of four on each tile I received were frayed and some cut so unevenly that it looked as if a chunk had been taken out of the sides. My husband and I tried every which way we could to piece this together thinking we could somehow mask or downplay the edges being a mess-but there is no way to do so. I don't recommend this product to anyone and don't know how FLOR can sell such a shoddy product. Good riddance!

• Ease of Installation:

Stains & shifting ruined zippy look

Comments about FLOR Carpet Design Squares:

The Flor tiles promised to be the perfect carpet for our combination mud room and home office - low pile for rolling desk chairs, washable, and customizable. We did a checkerboard of bright yellow alternating with tans, browns, orange & greens. It looked great. But almost immediately the yellow tiles were showing stains. The yellows were half of the carpet so rinsing out every stain was not possible.The other colors picked up a few stains as the months went by but the not like the yellows which also looked grayed with dirt.
            Gaps opened up between the tiles under the rolling desk chairs. It was difficult to realign the tiles and those fixes didn't last long.
            After 2 1/2 years we gave up. Got a low pile wool carpet remnant with a thin rubber gripper mat for the same price. It looks nice, resists stains, doesn't shift under the chairs, cost the same and should last forever.

• Ease of Installation:

Stylish flooring, but not plush

Comments about FLOR Carpet Design Squares:

FLOR tiles have their advantages. We've moved, and they are easier to transport than a huge rug. You just pull apart, but you'll need new stickers for the back. I've purchased them for all sorts of uses, ie. kitchen, foyer, dining room (but not bedroom). They remind me of the old wall-to-wall indoor/outdoor carpet. Thin, no padding. Traditional rugs are just nicer, period. But for certain uses, they can fit the bill.

Very interesting designs and colors. Great for a modern look

FLOR tiles are advertised as being practical because you can remove one to wash if it is stained, but as a practical matter you are not going to do that. It is a pain to pull them apart and to wash. They take a long time to dry and unless you have a really large sink, washing will be awkward. You'll probably want to buy new ones when they get so worn down or stained.

Ease of Installation
            Not super easy, but once you've put one of the rugs together, the others go faster. Be sure to order extra stickers.

Impossible to Vacuum!

Comments about FLOR Carpet Design Squares:

While the Flor tiles looked great the day we installed them, six months later I'm ready toss them out the window. I've tried the highest quality vacuum on every setting, as well as several other products designed to pick up standard, everyday things that get on carpet- NOTHING WORKS! I have actually crawled around picking up lint, string etc. I would not recommend this product.

Tiles separate with use.

Comments about FLOR Carpet Design Squares:

We purchased FLOR tiles for our to put by our front door. We had two of the tiles cut in half at the factory. When we installed them using a carpenters square, we found that neither of the tiles had been cut square. It's sad to have paid extra for the cuts to find them so poorly cut. We had to put those tiles on the outside so we could assemble the carpet. After about 2 weeks the carpet started coming apart. It is a poor design that cannot stand up to people walking on it. These two factors have made this a really unpleasant experience. Be forewarned, if you have kids and pets this carpet cannot hold up.

Product comes apart under use.

Tiles are nicely made but the dots can't keep them in place with use.