Other Travel Websites:

Cons

• Features:
    • Customer Service:

Expedia.com: My Most Visited Travel Web Service

Travel is an important part of my life and I have utilized most every travel service on the internet at some point. One web site that I seem to turn to more than any other is **Expedia.com**. This on- line travel service offers quick flight searches, competitive pricing, and several other services to assist the traveler in finding the best deals. **Web Site Commentary:** Expedia.com is a full- service travel web site and it can be used to search for flights, cruises, rental cars, lodging, and special activities. The search functions work like they do in other sites and they ask enough information to find a list of matches for your desired flight, cruise, etc., without getting too specific. The site then returns some potential matches and asks you, the potential customer, to look over the choices and narrow down your selection.  Expedia.com lists its search results in price order, from lowest to highest. Customers can change the sort order to fit their desire (for example, flights can be sorted by arrival time, departure time, or duration), but the default sort is by price. This is a nice change from other web sites, which often sort the results in a way that is most beneficial to the business. Expedia.com lets you, the customer, see the lowest priced option first in order to save you the most money.

I like the search function at Expedia.com  and I notice that it has been improved over the past several years. With flights, for example, Expedia.com provides the ability to select a different, nearby airport directly from the search results page, for price comparison purposes. There is no need to click "back", on your browser, to start over. You can make these changes quickly and painlessly, right there on the search results page. They could improve the search function more by adding a feature that would allow customers to look at flights one day (or two) before or after the selected dates, for quick comparisons. But the search function is still good and it returns flight results in good time. After making your selection for your vacation plan, Expedia.com will display a full summary of your desired purchase, along with options to add more services if you like. These other services can be hotels, car rentals, activities, and more. I used to be annoyed by this when I first started to use Expedia, but I have grown to appreciate these offers. Often, these extras are offered at a discount rate and they can save travelers a good amount of money on their vacation costs.

Does Expedia.com offer competitive prices? The answer is yes, for the most part. Expedia.com offers good prices on flights that are usually just as inexpensive as any other travel site. However, lodging and cruises are a mixed bag. What you find in Expedia.com may or may not be the best deal available and it is important that you continue to search and make price comparisons before you accept.

**Bottom- Line Viewpoint:**

Expedia.com is a very good travel web service, for flights and other travel- related items. It's easy to use, and the prices are competitive. It doesn't always have the lowest price available, but it has become my travel website resource of choice and I will usually check Expedia.com before I check any other internet travel site. Good search options and good information keep me coming back to Expedia.com to fulfill my travel needs.

beware of lies on expedia.com - it doesn't mean what it says...

Expedia.com is simply horrible!  Not only does the website contain blatant misrepresentations, its customer service is totally incompetent.  I just spent an hour with a represenative that didn't even understand English.  The website had stated that the it was providing an "Expedia Extra" of "No additional hotel-imposed fees at check-in or check-out" if I booked a certain hotel for a certain range of days.  However, when I tried to book it, it gave me a total based on the room rates and stated that there will be additional hotel fees of $20/day added on.  So, I called customer service about it, and all they told me was that the hotel fees were mandatory.  So, I asked what's with this "Expedia Extra?"  The customer service rep could not provide an answer.  He simply repeated that the hotel fees are mandatory even though Expedia.com plainly states "Expedia Extra! - This hotel has no additional fees imposed at check-in or check-out."  At one point the customer service rep tried to pretend he didn't see that written on the website.  When I called him out on in (I had the website open as I was talking to him), he backtracked and again repeated, "the hotel fees are mandatory."  So finally, I asked to be transferred to someone more knowledgeable about what this "Expedia Extra" is supposed to mean, he hung up on me!!  Even if Expedia.com had the lowest price on the website, I'll never use it again.  The people behind it seem to have no integrity and do not appear to treat their customers with even a hint of honesty or decency.  Never again!!

None Service/Bait and Switch

from Prattville, Alabama

Comments about Expedia.com:

On Tuesday, May 24, 2016, I bought 6 (six) round trip tickets from Rome, Italy to Atlanta, Ga. for my friends in Italy to visit over the Christmas and New Year holidays. My reservation was booked and confirmed for Dec 24, 2016 thru Jan 8, 2017. The itinerary # 1136158612357, confirmation MMX41A (Alitalia), with a Departure on Sat, 24 Dec on Alitalia 7600 operated by Delta Air Lines Inc. and Return on Sat 7 Jan, Alitalia 7601 operated by Delta Airlines Inc. I also purchased the Expedia Flight Protection Plan. In early October 2016 my friends were finally allowed to reserve their seats. Five of the seats were reserved without problems, however one name had a letter wrong and needed to be corrected. On Tuesday, October 11, 2016 I called Expedia customer service to correct the name. They told me to call Delta. I called Delta they told me to call Alitalia, Alitalia told me to call Expedia my ticket agent. I called Expedia on Oct 11, 2016 and talked to Mr Chung. I told him I needed to correct spelling of a name on the reservation. He assured me a correction was allowed. After about 50 minutes on the phone he told me to expect an email or phone call verifying the correction with 72 hours. Sounded good! On Friday, 14 October, 2016 after not hearing from anyone like promised, I called Expedia customer service again. My agent said her name was Lenona. After over 3 hrs on the phone back and forth with numerous people she finally told me they could not fix it today because Alitalia system is down. She told me she would call me back at 11:30 CST on Sunday, 16 Oct 2016. I stayed home from church to take the call. Of course like before it never happened. At 12:45 CST on Sunday Oct 2016 I called Expedia customer service again with and my wife on the phone. This time I got a customer service agent who said her name was Maya. Ran out of room, long story short Expedia never fixed the name and I had to purchase another ticket. They deny all responsibility.

Book through them for airport car at your own risk.

from Cancun Trip in December 2015.

Comments about Expedia.com:

I ordered a pvt car to and from the airport from Super Shuttle in Cancun. Waited 25 minutes at the hotel and finally took a cab for airport. I emailed multiple times & had hotel door man call. Very stressful when catching flight. Expedia was 100% unhelpful in getting a refund. Super Shuttle lied to them that they did show up despite the fact that I had door man's name who called them for me after the first 10 minutes and taxi receipt. Wasn't the money, just the stress of getting to the airport. Exchanged multiple emails & calls with Expedia, offered documentation of the no show. They sided with Super Shuttle anyway and claimed they had no authority with vendors. Had I booked it directly with a credit card, it would have been an easy dispute in my favor. Not sure which was worse; the car not showing up or all that time with Expedia customer service to discover a vendor no show booked through them is not their problem.

WORST!

from Seattle, Wa.

Comments about Expedia.com:

The absolute worst experience ever! I booked a vacation for my husband and I. I was already going to be in the area and asked that the booking be for the flight (for one) the hotel for two adults. Initially, I had a small issue and had to call back and ask a question. They couldn't find my booking...ok, so we were on the phone for awhile trying to find it. They accidentally booked the wrong e-mail address. Instead of aol...they booked it under a yahoo account; even though I said aol. Well, it happens, so I moved on. I had to change my booking. Reduce the hotel stay for ONE NIGHT. It took a total of ten hours on the phone to fix this simple issue. I had to call back several times and eventually talk to a supervisor to get the issue fixed....TEN hours on the phone!
This was just the beginning. Once we arrived at the hotel for our stay...mind you, I just did 6 days of missionary work and was exhausted, we were met with a call from the hotel stating that they only had a reservation for one person...not two. I had the itinerary that clearly stated the stay was for my husband and I, but he hotel wanted us to confirm with Expedia.
So, we spent THREE hours on the phone, in the lobby, trying to talk to expedia. They couldn't find the booking. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was put on hold...AGAIN! I finally got a supervisor on the phone (after three hours on the phone) and she was very rude and hung up on me! I WILL NEVER USE EXPEDIA AGAIN! We had to pay for the hotel....even though we already paid, only because we couldn't get a hold of someone from expedia. Then we discovered that the transport that we paid for through expedia wasn't aware of our booking, so we were out another forty bucks! Terrible, terrible service....avoid them at all costs!

Would never ever use again

from Ohio

Comments about Expedia.com:

They could not get the date of arrival correct and didn't return our phone call, we did the work with the hotel and expedia told us they were going to charge us for a night we were not there , we were. Sick to our stomach and while standing with the manager of the hotel they said they were talking to him and he wouldn't change the date ,they were rude and messed up a getaway that my wife and I haven't had in over twenty years, we have been married for thirty five and I'm a disabled veteran.I can not tell you how angry I am .I'm writing this a week after and feel as angry as the night we spent talking to rude people who didn't speak English well

couldnt be more angry

from ohio

Comments about Expedia.com:

so angry and lied to by expedia.com they couldnt get date right and return call , lied and said they were talking to hotel manager ( we were standing with him on cell phone ) and they couldnt speak english well , beyond mad , they ruined a night of our vacation

No Responsibility

from Tampa, FL

Comments about Expedia.com:

Missed a connection due to an hour layover in Ft Laud having to exit one terminal and bus to another. Expedia sold the tickets, but says they have no responsibility for selling an impossible connection. Silver Air blames Jet Blue, Jet Blue blames Silver Air. Disgusted.

Rental Car Rip Off

from Buffalo, NY

Comments about Expedia.com:

I will NEVER use Expedia again. I booked a rental car with Payless. The price on my confirmation email was $378. When I brought the car back completely undamaged and with a full tank, Payless charged me $584. Over $200 than what I expected to pay. When I questioned the cost, Payless basically told me they charged me a liability waiver charge of $155 that I never agreed to and that was not included in the original fees amount given to me. I was also charged $70 in tax. Basically this rental was a complete rip off. Expedia is clearly not reliable when they're working with companies that falsely advertise a lower price to bring in business only to overcharge their customers later.

Most invonvenient customer service ever

from philadelphia, pa

Comments about Expedia.com:

I booked a hotel room on this web site. Then a few days later, found the same hotel room on this same website significantly cheaper. I tried to cancel my original reservation online and there was no option. I tried calling and had to wait almost 6 hours for a call back - of course from someone overseas that was only reading from a script and I could barely understand. They made me wait on hold 27 additional minutes only to tell me they could not get in touch with a hotel manager due to it being after hours and I have to call back tomorrow. When I responded that my initial call was well within business hours and I should not be penalized for their inability to help me at the time of my initial call - the person seemed frustrated with me and would not assist further. When I book hotel room on competitor websites, they have alerted me when prices fluctuated down and easily gave me the best rate possible. This is the very last time I will be doing business with expedia.com

Sorry! We're Having Technical Problems. Please Try Again.

from Phoenix, AZ

Comments about Expedia.com:

Expedia is buying up all the competition and its service keeps getting worse. The servers crash all the time. If you can find an independent site, I would use that. Also, Expedia does not have Flexible or Fuzzy Dates, so there's no way to find a cheap flight window.

Best Western in NYC did not honor Expedia rate.

from NY, NY

Comments about Expedia.com:

Booked 3 nights at Best Western plus Seaport in NY, NY.
The rate changed when I got there. They said Expedia doesn't get it right.