3.1

Cons

• Features:
    • Customer Service:

Expedia.com: My Most Visited Travel Web Service

Travel is an important part of my life and I have utilized most every travel service on the internet at some point. One web site that I seem to turn to more than any other is **Expedia.com**. This on- line travel service offers quick flight searches, competitive pricing, and several other services to assist the traveler in finding the best deals. **Web Site Commentary:** Expedia.com is a full- service travel web site and it can be used to search for flights, cruises, rental cars, lodging, and special activities. The search functions work like they do in other sites and they ask enough information to find a list of matches for your desired flight, cruise, etc., without getting too specific. The site then returns some potential matches and asks you, the potential customer, to look over the choices and narrow down your selection.  Expedia.com lists its search results in price order, from lowest to highest. Customers can change the sort order to fit their desire (for example, flights can be sorted by arrival time, departure time, or duration), but the default sort is by price. This is a nice change from other web sites, which often sort the results in a way that is most beneficial to the business. Expedia.com lets you, the customer, see the lowest priced option first in order to save you the most money.

I like the search function at Expedia.com  and I notice that it has been improved over the past several years. With flights, for example, Expedia.com provides the ability to select a different, nearby airport directly from the search results page, for price comparison purposes. There is no need to click "back", on your browser, to start over. You can make these changes quickly and painlessly, right there on the search results page. They could improve the search function more by adding a feature that would allow customers to look at flights one day (or two) before or after the selected dates, for quick comparisons. But the search function is still good and it returns flight results in good time. After making your selection for your vacation plan, Expedia.com will display a full summary of your desired purchase, along with options to add more services if you like. These other services can be hotels, car rentals, activities, and more. I used to be annoyed by this when I first started to use Expedia, but I have grown to appreciate these offers. Often, these extras are offered at a discount rate and they can save travelers a good amount of money on their vacation costs.

Does Expedia.com offer competitive prices? The answer is yes, for the most part. Expedia.com offers good prices on flights that are usually just as inexpensive as any other travel site. However, lodging and cruises are a mixed bag. What you find in Expedia.com may or may not be the best deal available and it is important that you continue to search and make price comparisons before you accept.

**Bottom- Line Viewpoint:**

Expedia.com is a very good travel web service, for flights and other travel- related items. It's easy to use, and the prices are competitive. It doesn't always have the lowest price available, but it has become my travel website resource of choice and I will usually check Expedia.com before I check any other internet travel site. Good search options and good information keep me coming back to Expedia.com to fulfill my travel needs.

beware of lies on expedia.com - it doesn't mean what it says...

Expedia.com is simply horrible!  Not only does the website contain blatant misrepresentations, its customer service is totally incompetent.  I just spent an hour with a represenative that didn't even understand English.  The website had stated that the it was providing an "Expedia Extra" of "No additional hotel-imposed fees at check-in or check-out" if I booked a certain hotel for a certain range of days.  However, when I tried to book it, it gave me a total based on the room rates and stated that there will be additional hotel fees of $20/day added on.  So, I called customer service about it, and all they told me was that the hotel fees were mandatory.  So, I asked what's with this "Expedia Extra?"  The customer service rep could not provide an answer.  He simply repeated that the hotel fees are mandatory even though Expedia.com plainly states "Expedia Extra! - This hotel has no additional fees imposed at check-in or check-out."  At one point the customer service rep tried to pretend he didn't see that written on the website.  When I called him out on in (I had the website open as I was talking to him), he backtracked and again repeated, "the hotel fees are mandatory."  So finally, I asked to be transferred to someone more knowledgeable about what this "Expedia Extra" is supposed to mean, he hung up on me!!  Even if Expedia.com had the lowest price on the website, I'll never use it again.  The people behind it seem to have no integrity and do not appear to treat their customers with even a hint of honesty or decency.  Never again!!

NEVER USING EXPEDIA AGAIN!!!

from New York

Comments about Expedia.com:

I booked a hotel through Expedia because they loaded many photos of an infinity pool. Granted that was the only reason I booked the hotel. It was what I thought, made the hotel special and worth paying $1300 a night!!! I know I splurged. This is my honey moon I'm talking about though. Two days later I found out that the infinity pool was not available to the hotels customers. It is a PRIVATE pool only available in the "honey moon suite". Expedia did not even list the honey moon suite as an option. So why the heck would you post so many photos of the infinity pool if we can even have access to it?!?!? Um... False advertisement, anyone?

The experience with customer service has been a nightmare!!! They won't take responsibility for anything. I wanted to cancel but they would penalize 1 nights hotel fee. That's $1300. They said " it's not their fault because the hotel gave them those photos to post" um... It's YOUR WEBSITE!! Did you not do your homework before loading photos up and giving false representation to your customers??

Wait time to speak with a manager is about 40 mins each time. Absolutely ridiculous!!' So pretty much they don't care about anything and they don't take responsibility for nothjng either. Expedia does not care about their customers

Frustrated with Expedia

from Portland, Oregon

Comments about Expedia.com:

I have been using Expedia for several years and, although I sometimes get a little attitude from the hotels for using a third party booking agency, I have been happy overall with the convenience, selection and service received. Until recently. I was booking a hotel during a roundtrip for the following evening, the price was listed at $116, I hit "Reserve Now" and got the option to PAY NOW for $116 or PAY LATER for $149, I entered my credit card information and was charged the PAY LATER rate. I emailed them immediately, we corresponded back and forth for several days and I just called hoping for better results and am left incredibly disappointed. They are sounding a bit like a broken record; I have been told repeatedly that "Expedia, like travel agents worldwide, uses a real-time reservation database, listing actual ticket prices and hotel or car availability. For example, as airlines fill flights or change fares, the database immediately reflects those changes. Rates online change at a moment's notice and are never guaranteed unless purchased and reserved." I get this. I actually understood it the first time they told me and did not need to hear four additional times. However, in my mind, this applies to price shopping--looking at a rate and coming back hours or days later to book and see the price has changed--not that it can change AFTER I have entered my credit card information. It is not ok to promise me one rate and charge me something else.
The gal I just got off the phone with did apply a $25 coupon to my account which gets me CLOSE to the price I was guaranteed, but I do not feel safe using their services if they feel they have the authority to raise the price in the middle of a transaction. I will be working directly with hotels for future bookings.

So disappointed

from philadelphia, pa

Comments about Expedia.com:

I am a single mother living paycheck to paycheck and decided to try and do something fun with my 2 yr old son over labor day weekend. I used my already high credit card to spend $500 on a round trip to take him to Florida and visit family. Because of the high price and since anything can happen when you have a young child, I paid extra for travel protection. Yesterday I heard the news about a hurricane scheduled to hit Florida this weekend, my weekend of travel. I was so relieved I bought the protection plan only to call Expedia and have them tell me that they could not cover my departing flight and the protection plan only covers cancellations due to severe illness or someone passing away (somehow me not wanting to travel to a place close to the effected hurricane areas with my toddler does not count as a good reason to cancel my flight). I was put on hold for 40 minutes just so the operator could tell me I needed to call the airlines myself and figure it out. This is completely ridiculous. What was the point of booking through expedia and buying travel protection? I paid extra $40 just for expedia's booking fee and they somehow can't help me cancel my flight? I am disgusted and honestly feel scammed. If you are planning on booking through here, please don't. You're safer just booking directly with the airline and protecting yourself that way. I use to book all of my flights through expedia, but after this experience I will never use them again. This is beyond disappointing.

Never Ever Use Expedia t

from Bozeman MT

Comments about Expedia.com:

Used them to book a trip. My flight was cancelled and I spent 2 hours on the phone trying to make alternate reservations. Representative did not help but offered $200,00 credit if I would not complain to his supervisor. Never could get re-booked. Wrote a letter to Expedia they said too bad not there fault. Never Ever use them.

never, ever again

from New Orleans, LA

Comments about Expedia.com:

I should have learned on the last booking when flight was cancelled and I tried to get a refund through insurance which they said didn't apply because I didn't book another flight through them. This time a cancellation of a flight into the city meant no way to use the hotel. Too bad. That's the way it is. Never, ever again. I mean seriously wish there was a negative star rating.

Do NOT Book Through Expedia

from Raleigh, North Carolina

Comments about Expedia.com:

I only gave them a star because the system did not enable me to give them zero. I have been on hold with Expedia for over two hours attempting to correct a booking mistake they made. No one has checked on me in that entire time and attempts to call on another line have been met without luck. The utter lack of respect and care they have for customers is appalling. I would not recommend them to an enemy.

NEVER use this company!!!!!

from Cincinnati OH

Comments about Expedia.com:

Clear bait and switch. You will not get the accommodations you pay for and they could care less once they have your money. So if you want a ruined vacation... Be my guest.

Its been a nightmare working with Expedia...

from Milpitas, CA

Comments about Expedia.com:

We made an international booking through expedia last year. Unfortunately, we had to cancel it because of a family medical emergency. Expedia told us that they would refund our money back. However in the past 2 months, I have spent uncountable hours with them on the phone getting the run around from one person to another (looks like no one knows anything), being asked to explain the situation again and again (there is no documentation), being asked to send emails confirming that the charge was actually made (as if they dont know!), being asked to call back once I have sent the email (seems like no one reads emails) and on and on and on. Its as if they are trying very hard not to give me my money back!

The whole experience has been extremely frustrating and painful and if there was an option to give them 'zero' stars, I would have selected that option. So far, no sign of the money back....

Don't get tricked into the pay before you know hotel name

from Humble, Texas

Comments about Expedia.com:

Expedia knew I was searching for a standard hotel. They made it appear as if they were offering the kind of hotels I was searching for in the area that I was looking. Then after payment, there was a never heard of the name little apartment looking hotel. Of course there is no refund. Costly lesson. I had to book and pay for a hotel in the area that I needed. Just wasted y money with Expedia.
Warning!!!! Don't trust Expedia, First time using last time. Would have given them a zero, but couldn't

Tell you anything, then don't stand behind it

from Lancaster, PA

Comments about Expedia.com:

Was looking to reserve a Motel room for one night that slept 5 people. Was told the accommodations had 2 queen size beds & a couch, and the description noted it could accommodate up to 6 people. I told Expedia this would be a late arrival. Arrived at 10:00 p.m.: Guest services was already closed. When an attendant arrived, he was very unaccommodating. The room had 2 full size beds (not queens) and no couch. The room and bathroom were not cleaned. When questioned, the reply was that was the best that could be offered & however we chose to sleep 5 people was our business. When Expedia was contacted their solution, too, was to do whatever worked, and implied it was frequently handled in their country (I'm assuming India) to manage 3 people to a bed. At nearly midnight we were out looking for a WalMart to buy an air pump and mattress. Any savings was lost, an exhaustingly long day of traveling was made even more exhausting, and additional cost caused by trusting Expedia to know what they were talking about assured us to never do so again.