Other Travel Websites:

Cons

• Features:
    • Customer Service:

Expedia.com: My Most Visited Travel Web Service

Travel is an important part of my life and I have utilized most every travel service on the internet at some point. One web site that I seem to turn to more than any other is **Expedia.com**. This on- line travel service offers quick flight searches, competitive pricing, and several other services to assist the traveler in finding the best deals. **Web Site Commentary:** Expedia.com is a full- service travel web site and it can be used to search for flights, cruises, rental cars, lodging, and special activities. The search functions work like they do in other sites and they ask enough information to find a list of matches for your desired flight, cruise, etc., without getting too specific. The site then returns some potential matches and asks you, the potential customer, to look over the choices and narrow down your selection.  Expedia.com lists its search results in price order, from lowest to highest. Customers can change the sort order to fit their desire (for example, flights can be sorted by arrival time, departure time, or duration), but the default sort is by price. This is a nice change from other web sites, which often sort the results in a way that is most beneficial to the business. Expedia.com lets you, the customer, see the lowest priced option first in order to save you the most money.

I like the search function at Expedia.com  and I notice that it has been improved over the past several years. With flights, for example, Expedia.com provides the ability to select a different, nearby airport directly from the search results page, for price comparison purposes. There is no need to click "back", on your browser, to start over. You can make these changes quickly and painlessly, right there on the search results page. They could improve the search function more by adding a feature that would allow customers to look at flights one day (or two) before or after the selected dates, for quick comparisons. But the search function is still good and it returns flight results in good time. After making your selection for your vacation plan, Expedia.com will display a full summary of your desired purchase, along with options to add more services if you like. These other services can be hotels, car rentals, activities, and more. I used to be annoyed by this when I first started to use Expedia, but I have grown to appreciate these offers. Often, these extras are offered at a discount rate and they can save travelers a good amount of money on their vacation costs.

Does Expedia.com offer competitive prices? The answer is yes, for the most part. Expedia.com offers good prices on flights that are usually just as inexpensive as any other travel site. However, lodging and cruises are a mixed bag. What you find in Expedia.com may or may not be the best deal available and it is important that you continue to search and make price comparisons before you accept.

**Bottom- Line Viewpoint:**

Expedia.com is a very good travel web service, for flights and other travel- related items. It's easy to use, and the prices are competitive. It doesn't always have the lowest price available, but it has become my travel website resource of choice and I will usually check Expedia.com before I check any other internet travel site. Good search options and good information keep me coming back to Expedia.com to fulfill my travel needs.

beware of lies on expedia.com - it doesn't mean what it says...

Expedia.com is simply horrible!  Not only does the website contain blatant misrepresentations, its customer service is totally incompetent.  I just spent an hour with a represenative that didn't even understand English.  The website had stated that the it was providing an "Expedia Extra" of "No additional hotel-imposed fees at check-in or check-out" if I booked a certain hotel for a certain range of days.  However, when I tried to book it, it gave me a total based on the room rates and stated that there will be additional hotel fees of $20/day added on.  So, I called customer service about it, and all they told me was that the hotel fees were mandatory.  So, I asked what's with this "Expedia Extra?"  The customer service rep could not provide an answer.  He simply repeated that the hotel fees are mandatory even though Expedia.com plainly states "Expedia Extra! - This hotel has no additional fees imposed at check-in or check-out."  At one point the customer service rep tried to pretend he didn't see that written on the website.  When I called him out on in (I had the website open as I was talking to him), he backtracked and again repeated, "the hotel fees are mandatory."  So finally, I asked to be transferred to someone more knowledgeable about what this "Expedia Extra" is supposed to mean, he hung up on me!!  Even if Expedia.com had the lowest price on the website, I'll never use it again.  The people behind it seem to have no integrity and do not appear to treat their customers with even a hint of honesty or decency.  Never again!!

Rental Car Rip Off

from Buffalo, NY

Comments about Expedia.com:

I will NEVER use Expedia again. I booked a rental car with Payless. The price on my confirmation email was $378. When I brought the car back completely undamaged and with a full tank, Payless charged me $584. Over $200 than what I expected to pay. When I questioned the cost, Payless basically told me they charged me a liability waiver charge of $155 that I never agreed to and that was not included in the original fees amount given to me. I was also charged $70 in tax. Basically this rental was a complete rip off. Expedia is clearly not reliable when they're working with companies that falsely advertise a lower price to bring in business only to overcharge their customers later.

Most invonvenient customer service ever

from philadelphia, pa

Comments about Expedia.com:

I booked a hotel room on this web site. Then a few days later, found the same hotel room on this same website significantly cheaper. I tried to cancel my original reservation online and there was no option. I tried calling and had to wait almost 6 hours for a call back - of course from someone overseas that was only reading from a script and I could barely understand. They made me wait on hold 27 additional minutes only to tell me they could not get in touch with a hotel manager due to it being after hours and I have to call back tomorrow. When I responded that my initial call was well within business hours and I should not be penalized for their inability to help me at the time of my initial call - the person seemed frustrated with me and would not assist further. When I book hotel room on competitor websites, they have alerted me when prices fluctuated down and easily gave me the best rate possible. This is the very last time I will be doing business with expedia.com

Sorry! We're Having Technical Problems. Please Try Again.

from Phoenix, AZ

Comments about Expedia.com:

Expedia is buying up all the competition and its service keeps getting worse. The servers crash all the time. If you can find an independent site, I would use that. Also, Expedia does not have Flexible or Fuzzy Dates, so there's no way to find a cheap flight window.

Best Western in NYC did not honor Expedia rate.

from NY, NY

Comments about Expedia.com:

Booked 3 nights at Best Western plus Seaport in NY, NY.
The rate changed when I got there. They said Expedia doesn't get it right.

Serious software problems.

from North Carolina

Comments about Expedia.com:

The software is a mess. I entered the site and pre-paid for 2 rooms in different cities during my trips. I was overcharged when the receipt came up for both rooms. Do not believe that the pay in advance rate is lower. They will charge the pay at the hotel rate to your card.
Use another travel site to book your rooms. When you call or contact the customer service is clearly in india. They do not help at all.

they messed up my flight

from whittier ca

I hate expeda now

Horrible!

from sherman, tx

Comments about Expedia.com:

Horrible. Don't buy the insurance! I bought the insurance during hurricane season and it didn't cover it. Then called to cancel over a day before due to a hurricane, the agent said it would be completely reimbursed, gave me her name and ID number. It was never reimbursed. Finally called them back a week later, the airline would rebook my flight for a fee. The new agent said they don't even have employee numbers and she did not make any comments on my chart so basically the first agent did what was easiest and lied. I don't mind paying the extra fee, although I still feel the insurance should have covered it, but the agents basically lie to make money and get out of work. Still on hold now for an hour trying to get this straightened out. UGH! Do not use Expedia!!!

Worst experiece ever during Hurricane Matthew!

from Ponte Vedra, Florida

Comments about Expedia.com:

I will never use Expedia again. I took my two daughters and my dog from Ponte Vedra, Florida to Panama City, Florida before Hurricane Matthew hit. I originally booked a room for Wednesday night through Friday night (not knowing exactly when the Hurricane would hit our area). After another day of keeping up with the news, I changed our room reservations to only Thursday and Friday night. I received an email from Expedia notifying me that the change had been made and there was no need to confirm with the hotel. After a 5 hour drive we arrived at the hotel, only to be told by the lady at the front desk, that Expedia never notified them of the change. They thought we were a "no show" and they gave our room away. At this point, every hotel in the city was booked due to the Hurricane. I frantically got online and looked for another hotel. We ended up having to drive two more hours to Pensacola, Florida to get the last room at a roach motel. Everything else was booked! So the three of us and our dog shared a King size bed. Worst experience ever!!!!! I tried calling Expedia, but after waiting for over an hour to speak with a real person, I hung up. I've learned my lesson never to use Expedia again!!! They are completely worthless!!!

overall impression

from New Braunsfel,tx

Comments about Expedia.com:

The practices of the company is deplorable.Their motto should be"take the money and run,then,pass the buck"!Don't believe the hype!

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

I'll never use expedia again.

from Phoenix, Az

Comments about Expedia.com:

There's plenty of travel agencies out there to deal with Expedia. My flight showed I could cancel within 24 hrs for free, my fault it took me about an extra 12 hours. I wasn't worried about it however because I bought the travel insurance. I needed to change my flight to another one with the same airline and the exact same dollar amount, same airport and same day, just at a different time. They wouldn't do it unless I pay a $200 fee to re-book. Apparently the travel insurance is a scam and they refuse to work with me. I've changed flights before directly through the airline and it's no problem at all, that's WITHOUT paying extra for "travel insurance." I've learned my lesson about using Expedia.