2.9

Cons

• Features:
    • Customer Service:

Expedia.com: My Most Visited Travel Web Service

Travel is an important part of my life and I have utilized most every travel service on the internet at some point. One web site that I seem to turn to more than any other is **Expedia.com**. This on- line travel service offers quick flight searches, competitive pricing, and several other services to assist the traveler in finding the best deals. **Web Site Commentary:** Expedia.com is a full- service travel web site and it can be used to search for flights, cruises, rental cars, lodging, and special activities. The search functions work like they do in other sites and they ask enough information to find a list of matches for your desired flight, cruise, etc., without getting too specific. The site then returns some potential matches and asks you, the potential customer, to look over the choices and narrow down your selection.  Expedia.com lists its search results in price order, from lowest to highest. Customers can change the sort order to fit their desire (for example, flights can be sorted by arrival time, departure time, or duration), but the default sort is by price. This is a nice change from other web sites, which often sort the results in a way that is most beneficial to the business. Expedia.com lets you, the customer, see the lowest priced option first in order to save you the most money.

I like the search function at Expedia.com  and I notice that it has been improved over the past several years. With flights, for example, Expedia.com provides the ability to select a different, nearby airport directly from the search results page, for price comparison purposes. There is no need to click "back", on your browser, to start over. You can make these changes quickly and painlessly, right there on the search results page. They could improve the search function more by adding a feature that would allow customers to look at flights one day (or two) before or after the selected dates, for quick comparisons. But the search function is still good and it returns flight results in good time. After making your selection for your vacation plan, Expedia.com will display a full summary of your desired purchase, along with options to add more services if you like. These other services can be hotels, car rentals, activities, and more. I used to be annoyed by this when I first started to use Expedia, but I have grown to appreciate these offers. Often, these extras are offered at a discount rate and they can save travelers a good amount of money on their vacation costs.

Does Expedia.com offer competitive prices? The answer is yes, for the most part. Expedia.com offers good prices on flights that are usually just as inexpensive as any other travel site. However, lodging and cruises are a mixed bag. What you find in Expedia.com may or may not be the best deal available and it is important that you continue to search and make price comparisons before you accept.

**Bottom- Line Viewpoint:**

Expedia.com is a very good travel web service, for flights and other travel- related items. It's easy to use, and the prices are competitive. It doesn't always have the lowest price available, but it has become my travel website resource of choice and I will usually check Expedia.com before I check any other internet travel site. Good search options and good information keep me coming back to Expedia.com to fulfill my travel needs.

beware of lies on expedia.com - it doesn't mean what it says...

Expedia.com is simply horrible!  Not only does the website contain blatant misrepresentations, its customer service is totally incompetent.  I just spent an hour with a represenative that didn't even understand English.  The website had stated that the it was providing an "Expedia Extra" of "No additional hotel-imposed fees at check-in or check-out" if I booked a certain hotel for a certain range of days.  However, when I tried to book it, it gave me a total based on the room rates and stated that there will be additional hotel fees of $20/day added on.  So, I called customer service about it, and all they told me was that the hotel fees were mandatory.  So, I asked what's with this "Expedia Extra?"  The customer service rep could not provide an answer.  He simply repeated that the hotel fees are mandatory even though Expedia.com plainly states "Expedia Extra! - This hotel has no additional fees imposed at check-in or check-out."  At one point the customer service rep tried to pretend he didn't see that written on the website.  When I called him out on in (I had the website open as I was talking to him), he backtracked and again repeated, "the hotel fees are mandatory."  So finally, I asked to be transferred to someone more knowledgeable about what this "Expedia Extra" is supposed to mean, he hung up on me!!  Even if Expedia.com had the lowest price on the website, I'll never use it again.  The people behind it seem to have no integrity and do not appear to treat their customers with even a hint of honesty or decency.  Never again!!

Expediaaaa

from Kansas City MO

Comments about Expedia.com:

I recently booked a bundle trip to Rome and I love how I was able to 've my own travel agent by using expedia. With the suggestions of the site, I was able to not only book my trip, but also make sure that we have roundtrip transportation to our hotel. I didn't have to do any further research and at any time I wanted to add an activity I just logged back into my account and make plans through my already booked trip. It was very helpful.

RUN!!! DO NOT USE THEM FOR ANY REASON.

Comments about Expedia.com:

I there was a way to give a negative number of stars I would! The agents do not understand what you are saying and they lie or just say yes when they have no idea what you are asking. One of the agents when I asked him if he understood my question, he say no, let me google that?!
And our flights were canceled and even with insurance it is call after call after contradictory emails. EXPEDIA SUCKS!!!! STAY AWAY!

Not worth it

from New England

Comments about Expedia.com:

Booked a cruise through Expedia rather than direct, because of the cash back offered via a rewards program. Lots of issues so far. It's just not worth it-next time I will book direct!

Suckered by Expedia

from Duvall, WA

Comments about Expedia.com:

Guess I had been lucky, had used Expedia many times but since there were no glitches I did not realize their track record of no customer service. Booked a Boston Sunset Cruise for two. When we got to the pier 2 hr. prior to departure, as directed, were told "Expedia sold you tickets for a tour that was already full". Expedia refused to refund.

Dishonest! Horrible customer service! Rip-off!

from Toronto

Comments about Expedia.com:

My wife and I booked an "all-inclusive" vacation to Mexico and paid Expedia the double-occupancy rate they advertised. We arrived in Mexico but did not have our own room??? I had to pay the hotel an extra $1000 so we could have a room, and assumed it would be easy to sort out when we return. NOPE! Expedia's MO is to take money then refuse any responsibility... They ignore you and hope you will give up. I can't believe they are still in business?

Book directly with the end company

from Morristown, NJ

Comments about Expedia.com:

My husband often uses Expedia to book trips. Generally things go smoothly, but one trip he had to miss the first leg. This resulted in them cancelling his return trip home. We identified the issue before the flight and spoke to customer service, prior to the first leg of the trip. They were well mannered, but the end result was we were out of a whole return plane ticket. The customer service representative told me these things can be easier to resolve it you don't book through a third party.

Lies, and more lies

from Show Low Az

Comments about Expedia.com:

When i booked I understood I could select seats, but could not, after calling Expedia,was told to call back after credit card charge cleared back, when I called back was told cannot select seats! There price match is a lie, the price of my tickets has dropped $120. Called them, you must purchase extra insurance for price match!
Never ever use them.

Shady booking practices

from Vardaman, MS

Comments about Expedia.com:

This was my first time using Expedia. I reserved a room for a fall trip about 6 months in advance. The website said nothing about having to pay now for the room. I reserved the room and found out the next day that the money had been taken out of my account. This drained my bank account because I was just reserving the room and not intending to pay till check in. I cancelled the room so I could get my money back and they said it will take 7 days to get back the money they took overnight. If they had put on the website that I had to pay when booking I would have booked a different room. When I call customer service it was like an automated response from people you could barely understand. They wouldn't listen to my complaint they just tried to feed me some lies to justify what they did.

Be careful!

from New York

Comments about Expedia.com:

I have used Expedia for a number of trips. As long as you book properly on their website and go on the trip everything is fine. Just don't try to call them or talk to one of their "representatives."
I recently booked a trip for my wife to Las Vegas. Unfortunately, Jennifer Lopez decided to cancel her show. The reason for the trip to begin with.
Called three times to speak with Expedia. Each call lasted between 30 minutes to an hour. I had purchased trip cancellation insurance. The site only showed that I would be charged a rebooking fee and would receive an airline credit for a future flight. There was no option for the cancellation insurance. After two attempts to cancel the flight, I finally got this cancelled. (The hotel was cancelled with a credit to my charge card without a problem.) The representative told me the insurance did not cover the airline fee? Not sure what I paid for. Reviewed the policy and submitted a claim to Aon. Naturally, spent half an hour printing documents, scanning them to my computer, uploading the information to the Aon site. Still not sure what will come of all the hassle.

****NEVER BOOK WITH EXPEDIA EVER EVER EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

from Cape May NJ

Worst Company EVER!

Recently I booked a Spring Break trip for myself, husband, and our daughter. We were due to depart PHL airport and arrive at NAS six months from now. I booked airfare through Expedia on American Airlines a nonstop flight for nearly $600 a ticket!!!!!!! I also booked a hotel room at the Atlantis Paradise Island. AFTER I booked the trip I received an email stating that I could not choose my seat on either flight. OR have the option of purchasing a bag/carry on to take with me on my week long trip to the Bahamas! I thought to myself "good thing I bought travel insurance to the tune of $222.00 because I either need to upgrade my package to have the ability to (1) CHOOSE A SEAT ON THE AIRPLANE!!! (2) BRING A BAG ON THE AIRPLANE!!!!!!!!!" So I just called Expedia tonight.... after 1 hour and 45 minutes on the phone mainly being on hold, talking to a customer service rep for maybe a total of 15mins, they told me I cannot change or cancel this reservation EVEN THOUGH I bought travel insurance!!!!! So basically if I got hit by a bus and couldnt make the trip... OH WELL I would be out nearly four grand because my travelers insurance "does not apply"!

NEVER EVER EVER WILL I BOOK WITH EXPEDIA.COM EVER AGAIN!