3.9

Exergen Temporal Thermometer

3.9

Pros

Cons

Finally a thermometer that is easy and non invasive!!

Wow! Finally a thermometer that is easy and non invasive!! The Exergen Temporal Thermometer (Model 2000C) is what I've been needing for a long time! I have had the regular digital oral thermometers (I still kept one of them), and also an expensive ear thermometer but always dreaded taking my children's temperatures when they felt warm. I would always be concerned that the oral thermometer didn't remain under their tongue the whole time, and half of the time my daughter would complain that it felt uncomfortable in her mouth. I hated to always buy the thermometer covers too. With the ear thermometer, I had the question of whether or not I pulled the ear in the exact direction to get an accurate read. I also had to keep expensive ear tip covers on hand, and the model that I had could only be ordered through the company.

Enough said, I purchased the Exergen Temporal Thermometer and love it, love it, love it! There are no probe covers, and it stays sanitary. You can easily clean it too. The price was reasonable too. The thing I love most is I can scan several times to make sure my read is accurate. The instructions tell you exactly what to do. Make sure to read them all because even hair resting on your forehead can make you warmer. I'll never use anything else and would recommend it to anyone!!

not my first choice.

As a busy mom to a 19 month old I am also a full time employee at a medical clinic. We ordered these Exergen Temporal Thermometer thinking they would be a great asset to have because as we all know no child likes to be still long enough to take their temperature. We have several ear thermometers, and of course the old school glass undter the tounge, but we thought these would be easier. Directions that come with the themometer seem easy enough, however they are difficult to follow. It has to be held flat the the forehead, which means some unwanted contact for children. With practice and I mean alot of practice tthe Exergen temporal thermometer does get easier to use. It is a little on the bullky side. It does always seem to be a correct temperature reading. I seem to always double check myself doing the temporal then going behind with a regual under the tounge, always seems to be off by about one degree. I would recommend trying a different brand, maybe one you are already familiar with.

Fast, but maybe reads low

from Phoenix, AZ

Comments about Exergen Temporal Thermometer:

The reading appears quite quickly, but sometimes, I think it's lower than what the temperature really is. I use this device quite often at work, and once, the doctor asked me to repeat a temperature rectally, and there was a difference of several degrees. My advice is to repeat any reading you doubt, such as if the person feels warmer to the touch, and maybe test it with a different kind of thermometer.

Easy to use, consistent results

from Bohemia, NY

Comments about Exergen Temporal Thermometer:

I bought a temporal thermometer to get better reads on my child when he gets a ear infection. The ear thermometer doesnt give the correct the reading, specifically in the ear with the infection, so I use the temporal one. This one is VERY east to use, as you can pretty much swipe any top of the forehead and get a consistent result, unlike the Vicks thermometer I purchased when I lost this one. ALSO, you can swipe the back of the ear and get the reading from the artery back there.

The only con is the pricing. It IS expensive (compared to the cost of "regular thermometers", however the cost of it is outweighed by the usefulness of it.

Make sure that it is room temp when you use it as when it is placed on a colder surface, it skews your temp results...

Takes practice but it's worth it once you master it.

from Dacula, GA

Comments about Exergen Temporal Thermometer:

I purchased this thermometer about a year and a half ago and only feel that I've mastered it's use in the past 6 months. Granted, I wasn't using it every day, and it's not hard to use at all, but it took me a while to feel confident in the temp enough not to check it again with another method every time. Now that I can take my childrens temperatures efficiently, I am glad I bought this item and definitely feel like I'm getting my monies worth. I would however caution that this tool is IMPOSSIBLE to use on a child that doesn't want to hold still. My daughter is 11 months old and I can check her temp just fine, my son at that age...not so much. I would NOT recommend this for newborns or younger babies. I work in healthcare and strongly believe that the accuracy of a rectal temp in little babies should NOT be traded for convenience. All in all, this thermometer is worth the money for us because my 3 year old son hates (I mean freak out tantrum hates) having his temperature checked under his arm or in his mouth and I am not going to subject him to a rectal temp.

* important thing to remember: As per the instruction, you have to let the thermometer "acclimate" to whatever room you are going to use it in or you won't get an accurate reading. Example: My son has had a fever all day and we have been using the thermometer in the kitchen where it is usually kept. When he goes to bed, I will have to take the thermometer up to his room and leave it in there in case I need to check his temp during the night. It's not really a problem I guess unless you have two people with fevers at the same time.

Easy to use - wonderful technology

from Draper, UT

Comments about Exergen Temporal Thermometer:

Gone are the days of trying to read the old mercury thermometers.  This temporat thermometer is a must have for anyone with young children.  We used to use the ear thermometer but I found that the ear piece didn't always fit to great in a little kids ear canal.  That is why I purchased this thermometer as soon as I saw my pediatrician's office using a temporal thermometer.  This thermometer is amazing.  All I have to do to get an accurate reading of my child's fever is to scan their forehead.  This ease of use is especially important if you have a little baby or toddler that will not hold still enough for an acurate reading on older type thermometers.  When I use this thermometer I usually scan a couple of times and I find the the second reading is very close or equal to the original reading.  My only complaint with this particular thermometer is that it is not backlit very well.  Therefore it is difficult to take a temperature in a dark room at night.  Other than that I am very please with the ease of use of this thermometer.

Exergen Temporal Thermometer is a Great Buy!

from Zeeland, MI

Comments about Exergen Temporal Thermometer:

The Exergen Temporal Thermometer is really a great buy. It is so easy so use, and I like how it is a non-invasive way to take a temperature. I have a 2-year old son and a 5-year old daughter, and neither one minds getting their temperature taken. I have only found one downside to the thermometer. It sometimes gives varying results. This isn't a huge deal, though, as I usually take the temperature a couple times and use an average. Other than that, I really like using the thermometer. It definitely beats trying to get my son to keep the thermometer under his tongue with his mouth closed when he is stuffed up from a cold! Also, I really like not having to buy plastic covers for the oral thermometer I used to use.

I love this thing and will never go back to any other

from Williamsburg, VA

Comments about Exergen Temporal Thermometer:

These things are great, rectal you don't want to do that to the child and sometimes the child won't sit still long enough, underarms doesn't happen, in mouth doesn't happen. In their ear if you don't get it placed right it's always wrong. This one is Great... if you afraid of Germs they have covers for it but I don't use them. You can go across the for head or behind the ear. Either gives a perfect reading Every time. If they are sweating you do have to wipe off the water and wait a min. or two. But aside of that they are great! I got one for my daughter when she was little and haven't turned back. I lost mine once and nearly lost my mind. I don't trust any other system. Most depend on a child sitting still for any amount of time and this is Quick. My 18mo. is used to it now, if i pull it out he stops everything and turns his head so I can get a reading. Honestly I think he likes the beeping in his ear. lol It tells you if you have it place correctly so you know the reading is correct and it claims on the package to be as close to exact as rectal. If you can read the package you can use it first time and get the right temp. It beeps steady when you have it right and fast or not at all if it's not.. Great product...

excellent temporal thermometer

from Phoenix, AZ

Comments about Exergen Temporal Thermometer:

I won this thermometer through a contest and was pleasently suprised to receive it in the mail. The thermometer is nice because the temperature seems to be accurate. It is also quick and easy to use. I don't have to try and get my baby and toddler to hold still while I take their temperature under the arm, and I don't have to use a rectal thermometer. I also like that I don't have to stick this thermometer in their ear. I have been using an ear themometer and with the ear themometer sometimes the temperature readings would be 2 to 3 degrees different depending on which ear I used or if my kids had wax in their ears. I've tested this thermometer out on my 7 month old baby several times and the readings seemed to be accurate. Plus even if he wiggled some I was able to get a good reading. It does require that you keep your finger down while taking the reading, which takes a little getting used to but otherwise this is a great thermometer.

Quick tool to check for fever

from Saint Peters, MO

Comments about Exergen Temporal Thermometer:

We received this thermometer as a gift at our first child's Baby Shower.  We have used it a lot, and it's the first thermometer I reach for.  Although it took some practice to learn to use it properly, I can now quickly swipe it across my child's forehead and get a semi-accurate temperature reading.  None of my three children mind getting their temperatures taken, and it is completely non-invasive.  I'm so glad I have this!  Now, with all of that said...you cannot completely rely on this thermometer alone.  It does not give you the most accurate readings, as there is usually atleast a 1 degree variance.  And every time I call the pediatrician with a temporal temperature reading, the nurses get aggravated and lectured me on the importance of getting an underarm temperature.  So, I use this thermometer to get that first quick reading to see if I need to be concerned, and then if necessary I get out the digital thermometer to get a more exact temperature.  Just plan on having a backup digital thermometer and you should be good.

Quick and easy

from Henderson, NV

Comments about Exergen Temporal Thermometer:

I have several different thermometers and this is the one I go for if I need to check my kids' temperature.  This thermometer is fantastic, because it doesn't aggravate an already sick child by either having to stick something in their mouth or jam something down their ear.

One caveat, a temporal thermometer isn't technically a core body temperature, so your doctor will likely tell you that an ear or oral thermometer will be more accurate, but I think this does the job just fine.  The one complaint that I have is that the battery doesn't seem to last as long as I would like, and unless they have changed the thermometer it uses an annoying battery.  If it were a AA it wouldn't bother me because I have those all over the place, but it uses some weird battery (I can't remember exactly which one right now).

But, my kids don't fuss much with this, it is quick and from what I can tell accurate.  I highly recommend it for any parent.

not my first choice.