3.6

3.6

Pros

Cons

• Safety:

Didn't keep our climber contained.

We bought this gate (it came as a set of two) for a really good deal.  I don't have stairs to worry about, but I wanted them so I could keep our daughter out of the pantry where we keep the trash, the kitty litter and catfood bowls.  I thought I could use the spare to keep her inside when we left the front door open for the cats in the summer.  I never really had to use it for the second purpose, however.

What I did wind up trying the second one for was to keep her in her room when she began climbing out of her crib and we tried switching her to a toddler bed.  Our determined little girl climbed right over it, and when we raised it a little higher to keep her from climbing, she squeezed herself under through the little gap between it and the floor.

But, that is not a product issue, we just had a very active tot who did not appreciate being contained at bedtime while we were still awake.  Looking back, I'm quite impressed that the thing never toppled or shifted with her weight.  She was, and still is, a very petite child, but still.

The gate is a bit tricky, my husband could never figure it out.  I was always the one to position it in the doorways.  There is no easy way to explain in writing how it works.  It has a long lever at the top that is what keeps it locked in position.  I would spread it as far as I could in the door jam and I even tested it and it would take a lot for a little one to even budge it.

I'm only 5' 2", so the other annoyance is having to hop over it.  I can just get my leg over when it is raised a bit off the ground.  The one in the pantry had to be raised so the cats would crawl under it, because they didn't figure out how to jump it right away.  Unless you are willing to remove it and replace it each time you are walking through the doorway, you are going to have to scale it.  It is much easier to just swing a leg over the thing than to replace it, in my opinion.

However, I do not have any other gates to compare it to.  If I lived in a two-level home, I don't think I'd be using it at the top of a starecase.  I don't think any gate would be good for that purpose unless it could screw into the wall and locked securely to prevent it from popping out of place.

Dont Fence Me in...

**Great Gates, this one, is not.**

**Great Gates, this one, is not.**

This is the cookie cutter gate, found in almost every store across the country, in my opinion, its a low quality substandard gate. I purchased this product in lieu of the others available. The low price attracted me and I think I just wanted to have it on hand in case I ever needed it. Well I needed it, then needed it again....

My problem is that the **Evenflo Position & Lock Gate** really doesnt fit my door openings all that well. The rubber pads on the ends actually lifted the paint in small circular patches from my door jams! My daughter even managed to get her hand through the holes somehow, which was a huge shock, I thought the openings met industry standards. This incident made for a lot of crying and vaseline to help get her hand out.

When installed, the gate works well, its durable and can handle a fair amount of climbing, banging, pushing and pulling.

This **Evenflo Position & Lock Gate** isn't the best or the safest out there but if you need a cheap barricade this will do the trick, JUST BE CAREFUL. There are much better alternatives to this classic.

The Evenflo gate stands 24 inches tall, and expands from 26 - 42 inches wide. The gate comes in two models, Model #202 (triangular mesh) and Model #200 (squared mesh). Best of luck with both.

Good gate for the price.

Comments about Evenflo Position & Lock Plus Gate:

This was a good gate for the price. It's not permanent so you can move it to different rooms in the house pretty easily. Lightweight and made of wood so pretty durable. I liked how you can see through the gate if there's a baby right on the other side you can see what they are doing still. It's also great to keep smaller dogs in a room away from things you don't want them in. Bigger dogs can jump right over the gate if wanted but not smaller dogs or puppies.

Made out of wood so it doesn't seem like it will break as easy as a plastic one would.

It takes a little bit to get to the right size for different size places to put it. It can be bulky in your hands and tends to fall over some if not holding it tight while you move the bar around. The metal clasp that goes down and attaches to the other bar of wood is kind of hard at first to get on, but the more you use it the easier it gets.

Safety
None of my kids ever got out of the gate, but I did have 1 try and climb over the top. He would put his toes in the little squares and climb up it.

• Safety:

Helps keep the kid cattle in their pen.

from Sonora, CA

Comments about Evenflo Position & Lock Plus Gate:

The Evenflo Position & Lock Plus Gate was the cheapest gate available at the time we bought it. Consequently, the quality isn't the best you'll find. The gate does it's job though and it does it well. The tension design is a very basic, tried and true double bar with notch mechanism that's proven reliable and adaptable over the years. We live in an older house so the doors are not a uniform size. Regardless, the Evenflo gate tension design allows us to use the same gate regardless of which room we need to coral the kids in at any given time. The rubber pads that compress against the door frame are significant enough not to leave marks or dents in the wood or paint, even when my husband pushes the tension setting a notch too far and it's locked so tightly in the door frame that I can't unlock it myself and have to climb over! We've owned three of these gates over the years because they do eventually wear out (or the kid grows old enough to reach over, pop it open and step all over the gate after it falls, breaking it). But we have three kids so I guess the expected life cycle of one gate is the length of time it'll still be effective for one child. It's definitely not high quality enough to pass down so I don't recommend buying a used one. But they're so darn cheap anyway, you shouldn't need to!

Does the job

Comments about Evenflo Position & Lock Plus Gate:

This gate really does the job that it was meant to do. It's simple, yet very effective. I needed to keep my daughter out of our storage room, but needed my cat to be able to get in there because of his litter box and food/water. My daughter loves tasting the cat food, so this was an absolute must! This Evenflo Position & Lock Plus Gate is so easy to set up that we did it without even looking at any instructions at all. And my fifteen month old daughter hasn't figured out how to knock it over or climb over it or anything. If she wants to go in there, it doesn't happen. I haven't had a single problem with this gate. It's been a great help to us.

It's very durable.

We figured out how to set this thing up in less than 2 minutes. It's super easy to figure out even when you don't have any directions to follow!

Safety
It's definitely added to the safety of our home. However, I give it an 8 because there is one spot that a kid could put their foot on to help them climb over it when they figure that out...my daughter hasn't yet. Just make sure you position that spot towards the place you don't want her in.

• Safety:

A low cost gate for traveling, small pets, and in between rooms.

Comments about Evenflo Position & Lock Plus Gate:

This is a low cost gate that is good for traveling (and you don't know if grandma has a gate yet). It is also a good gate for closing off the doorway into the bathroom, or a bedroom. I WOULD NOT trust it to keep children from falling down stairs.

I think the gate itself lasts a long time, but it can be pushed down, if you have a particularly strong child or pet! Pets may also quickly chew through the mesh inside the wooden edges.

Once you get the cross bar "set" to the right length, it gets easier to position this gate. It probably works the best in places where adults can just step over the gate, leaving it in place. It takes more effort than other gates to lock into position.

Safety
A gate should NEVER replace a parent's supervision. If you want a gate to keep your little one in the bedroom with you, or in the kitchen while you are preparing dinner, it's a fine gate. I would NOT use it to block off a set of stairs.

• Safety:

Not my first choice in baby gates

Comments about Evenflo Position & Lock Plus Gate:

It does do the job but its not very safe or good for high traffic areas. I installed this at the beginning of my hallway to keep the little one out of the bathroom and other children's rooms and it was such a headache! My older two children get caught up on it all the time while trying to step over it. Causing spills occasionally. Has scratched the wall as well. If the latch isn't in the grove perfectly or if the tension is too tight the bar will pop up causing the gate to be en ineffective. You have to keep your eye on it.

Its pretty durable considering how many times its been knocked over and fallen on!

Easy to set up and remove.

Didn't last long

Comments about Evenflo Position & Lock Plus Gate:

I bought this gate at first for my animals then used it with my son as well. When I bought it it worked great. Could easily move it and it did what it was supposed to, keep the baby out of certain rooms. But after about two months of use it began to stick and was difficult to move around. About a month after that it started to come apart, screws fell out, and now it works but cannot be moved.

Not very safe

Comments about Evenflo Position & Lock Plus Gate:

Got this as a baby shower gift and I was beyond excited because the gates are not very cheap. I started using this when my son was able to start crawling. I had several of the wooden gates and they are not safe at all. My son was able to pull himself up and the gate is not very sturdy so he would end up pushing it away from the walls causing him to almost fall down the stairs. If you pull the length of it to far it falls off then it takes forever to get back on track. I would not recommend this to anyone due to the lack of safety.

A toy for kids!

Comments about Evenflo Position & Lock Plus Gate:

This gate is supposed to protect your young ones, from falling down stairs or leaving a certain room, but in my experience, kids just use it as a toy all in its own, which is quite dangerous. The little holes in the gate are just big enough for a toddler to put his/her feet in. My god son though it was hilarious to climb up this gate and try to get over it. Number one, it defeats the purpose, number two, it's even more dangerous because this gate is not that strong and it can fall over with the added on weight of the toddler. If you have a not so creative kid, it might work just fine, but it failed for me.

As far as durability goes for this product, I have personally seen two of them broken within a short amount of time. Wood breaks easier than plastic.

The only real good thing about this gate is it is easy to use. It is already set up for you and all's you have to do is stick it in the door way or stairway and lock it shut.

• Safety:

Great gate for temporary places

Comments about Evenflo Position & Lock Plus Gate:

This is a cheap yet very effective baby gate. It works great in places where you can't install a baby gate or want to be able to remove the baby gate often. We rent an apartment so every hole we put in the wall comes out of our deposit. We have our gate in between our kitchen and living room because sometimes we need to keep the baby out of the kitchen but others times we are fine with her crawling around more places. I am glad we didn't have to spend much money for an easy fix. We have more permanent gates on the stairs but for a high traffic area where you don't always want a baby gate this is the best option. The gate also slides together to be a smaller size for storage. It also stretches out to fit in larger door ways.

Our baby gate gets a lot of use and gets kicked by us going over it and our baby yanking on it constantly.

We use a pen to mark the spot where we always put it to keep it tight on the wall.

Safety
We have never had an issue with the pieces pinching fingers or other body parts.

Not a fan of this gate

from Richmond VA

Comments about Evenflo Position & Lock Plus Gate:

This gate is fine as a temporary blockade for babies who are not yet standing or walking, but I do not recommend it once they progress past crawling. Between my son and my babysitting charges, we had several incidents of the gate slipping even though we installed it exactly as directed. What's more, the way the gate is built makes it possible for tiny feet to fit into the squares. This means that on more than one occasion, we had small children attempting to climb up and over the gate! If you just need something as a quick fix for a crawler, this gate is fine, but beyond that, I cannot recommend it.

I don't know whether we just had a defective gate or if it simply isn't built to handle bumps and tugs, but it seemed like after just a week or two of use, this gate had up and quit.

The one thing this gate has going for it is that it is very easy to use.

Safety
Between the number of times I almost broke my own neck trying to step over it and the number of times my kids almost got hurt (and would have certainly been injured if I hadn't been nearby), this gate just doesn't cut it.