1.3

1.3

Pros

Cons

• Vehicle Selection:

Service quality will greatly depend on location...

The Bottom Line: After reading the many negative reviews online, I concluded that your experience with Europcar will greatly vary from country to country. I have used Europcar three times so far, and have gotten great service two times, and average service the third. It has given valuable savings on car rental in Europe, and is one of my go-to car rental companies.

Customer Service
I have used Europcar three times: once in Italy, once in France, and once in Ireland. My best customer service experiences were in France and Ireland. Europcar representatives were really courteous in France and Ireland, but a little less in Italy, mainly because there was a great language barrier with the Italian representatives, who did not speak English well and who struggled to communicate. I found that you will get much better results by smiling and being courteous from the get-go, and I have never had such a negative experience with Europcar that I would not recommend this car rental company. It remains much more affordable than most other car rental companies like Hertz and Avis.

Vehicle Selection
I have always been extremely satisfied with the choices of vehicles with Europcar. When in Europe, I will always choose a smaller car with better gas mileage because of the price of gas in Europe, and stay away from larger, gas guzzling cars. Out of the three times I used Europcar, I was actually given choices on the spot and was able to select the exact car I wanted, without affecting my final cost.

SCAM Central

If you rent a car from EuropCar take pictures of the car when you pick it up (with an employee standing next to it) and when you drop it off (also with an employee). Also, even though they claim to be paperless DEMAND an invoice for your return. We returned our car, our return was processed and we were told everything was fine and they would send our paperwork by e-mail, which never happened. The next day we went to get our return invoice (we happened to be staying in the hotel where the drop off was) and we were informed that EuropCar had charged us $1800 USD for damages because the front bumper had been torn off. They could produce no pictures of the damage, and also had leased the car that morning to another customer! SCAM!

Service quality will greatly depend on location...

employee lied about refund,and left me with $250 bill for no car

Comments about Europcar:

I am very disturbed by this company and I am very upset that this company would stand by their decision to charge me $250 for a car rental that I didn't rent and I was falsely told by one of their employees that I would receive a refund which made me go to a different more car rental company only later to find out that this individual who works for this company cost me $250 hard earned dollars.

Customer Service
The agent at the airport lied to me by stating I could get a refund instead of trying to work with me. He forced optional insurance on me, and i didn't have enough funds on my debit card to purchase this forced upon insurance, so they refused to give me my car rental. This lie ended up costing me $250, because when I tried to get a refund they told me they don't offer refunds.

Mexico city airport

Comments about Europcar:

Avoid, i repeat avoid at your life cost! DO NOT RENT FROM THEM! I arrived at the National both were I had the reservation, nobody was at National so the lady from EUROPCAR told me it is the same and I will give you a better price. I showed her the quote, less than 67 dollars for 6 days, she said yes I will charge you 70 pesos less. She said sign the contract here, here, here and here. I said: 4 signatures? well o.k. When I returned the vehicle. whammmmm the lady tells me everything is o.k your total is as agreed 4580 pesos. I said WHATTTTT? How much is that in dollars? She said: 384 dollars. And we already collected that from your credit car. I said but I never agreed to that! she was like you signed for it! If you want here is the 1-800 phone to complaint! I was like this is highway robbery, nobody said that was the total price. She said: sir leave you signed for it, it is charged, better luck next time! DO NOT RENT FROM THEM, even if your life depends on it! It will be a costly mistake!

Ripoff

Comments about Europcar:

This guys will charge you more than the total cost of your rental for a "required" insurance.
The insurance will be the highest you'll ever pay, and cannot be avoided.
I tried to explain customer service that this fee was never explained prior to my arrival.
I even tried to cancel the rental except that their policy does not allow to cancel without penalties.
Stay away from this place.
Rented at SDQ airport.

• Vehicle Selection:

Don't ever rent a car from Europcar, it's a scam outfit

Comments about Europcar:

I rented a car from Europcar at Schiphol airport in Amsterdam in May 2013 for what seemed to be a good price. After the car was taken back by Europcar with no complaints or damage reported, this company charged my card for what they called a windscreen crack. I pointed out to them that there was no damage to the car reported at the time of return but they just ignored my letters. I then checked reviews of Europcar by other customers (obviously, I should have done that before renting the car from them) and discovered that a number of customers reported the same experience with Europcar so it does look to me now like this is in fact a scam outfit, whose business is not so much to rent out cars but to cheat the unsuspecting customers out of money. So, my advice to everyone who reads this review would be to never rent a car from Europcar. That will certainly save you hassle and money.

Horrible, horrible service

Comments about Europcar:

My family and I were stranded in Sofia, Bulgaria by Europcar. We made reservations, paid and had a time to pick up the car and everything. When we went to pick up the car, the office was not there. We then called, had multiple dead end phone numbers and finally got through. We never did learn where the hell the office was... and we were told that our reservation had been cancelled because they did not have a car to take to Greece. We had never planned on going to Greece, we never got an email or any notification of the cancellation and we never got a car.

Never got a car...

BIG RIP OFF

Comments about Europcar:

Please save your self a lot of money and headache. It almost spoilt our entire trip. We'll never rent from them again. They are doing themselves such a disservice as we are a large family and have connections everywhere.

• Vehicle Selection:

"Hidden" damage to the tire rim?!?!

Comments about Europcar:

Rented in CAncun. Up front, they were clean and pleasant, but when we checked back in, they claimed the wheel rim was dented. Perhaps it was but we couldn't see it, the tire itself was good, and the hubcap looked fine, no scrapes or anything. I was in the bathroom when hubby paid the 500+ pesos in cash (argh, we have now had the credit card only discussion). They pretty much held us and our bags hostage, pay or they wouldn't let us leave!!!!
NEVER USE EUROPCAR, THEY ARE RIP-OFFS.

• Vehicle Selection:

Terrible customer service in Brussels!

Comments about Europcar:

In the summer of 2012, I rented a car for 1 month from a Europcar location in Brussels, Belgium.
When I went to return the car to that same location, I found it closed - permanently!
I called their toll free number and was told "Sorry, this location is now closed. You have to go to another one." I called the location they wanted me to go to, and asked the manager why I hadn't been informed of the closing, to which he replied that "it wasn't possible to call every customer!" I then explained that without GPS or a map of Brussels, it would be difficult for me to find the other location. Could a Europcar representative come here instead to handle the car return? The manager repeatedly answered: "No, this is not possible", but wouldn't explain why. He finally hung up on me!
It took me 3 hours to return that car, while my kids were waiting for me at the hotel.
But the worst part of it all was the indifference and even rudeness of the Europcar employees I interacted with!
I have sent a letter to Europcar Belgium and have received no reply.

• Vehicle Selection:

Car was okay, but company tries to rip you off.

Comments about Europcar:

Never rent from this company in Cancun, Mexico. We were charged for scratches on a hubcap that we didn't do. They rush you through inspection and don't let you take pictures or give you time before rushing you out.