3.7

3.7

Pros

Cons

• Versatility:

Eureka Optima LightWeight Bagless Upright is easy to use.

I have had a Eureka 431A Optima Light Weight Bagless Upright Vacuum for 2 years now and am quite satisfied with it.  Although, the reusable filter will lose suction over time, this little vacuum is still pretty powerful.  It picks up the cat hair (and my hair) better than all other vacuums I have had.  It is very easy to remove the container that traps all the dirt, and with no bag to replace - it makes a quick cleanup a snap.  Plus, it's so lightweight, that it's no problem if you have to carry the vacuum to the other end of your house for on-the-spot cleanup.  You can also turn off the carpet brush and use it as a sweeper on your linoleum/hardwood floors.  It's a twist of a knob to switch from floor to hose/attachments.  Getting those hard to reach spots in the corner have never been easier!! All in all, I think this vacuum is a great value for the price!

Do NOT buy this vacuum!

I thought this would be a great vacuum for the amount of vacuuming I do, but it couldn't even handle that! The first place I used this vacuum (about 3 years ago) was a house with all wood floors except the dining room.  I only used the vacuum on this small square of carpet for about a year.  I then moved to a 2-story townhouse, and my roommate bought another Optima for upstairs, so I only used mine on our tiny living room.  I then moved to an apartment with wood floors, and only used this vacuum on our area rug in the living room.  After only using it lightly for 3 years, it suddently just quit working.  The motor just burned out.  Interestingly, my roommate (who now lives in another apartment since I got married) had hers burn out a few weeks later (her vacuum was even newer).  These are just not quality vacuums. I had other problems with it as well; the dust cup never filled up, but it seemed to quit sucking after one use on the area rug.  I had to clean the filter much too often.  I generally had to use a fork to get the dirt out of the filter.  The filters can be washed, but only about 3 times before they should be replaced, and when one has to clean them every time, that gets to be expensive and annoying.  I'd recommend that if you need an inexpensive vacuum that works well, you search Craigslist for a slightly used, quality vacuum.  That's what I ended up doing, and I'm more than happy with my slightly used, new to me vacuum.

Easy to Use

from Virginia

About Me Frequent User

Pros

• Lightweight

Cons

• Carpet
    • Pet Hair

Comments about Eureka Optima Lightweight Bagless Vacuum:

I've had the Eureka Optima Vacuum close to a year now and I'm pleased with this vacuums overall performance. The key feature is the light weight design, I can carry this vacuum up and down the stairs effortlessly. I started to notice the lack of suction after using for about 3 months, instead of a light filter Cleaning I cleaned every part from the brushes to the hose. This is key to maintaining suction, the vacuum breaks down simple no bags to change. The cords long enough to reach one end to the other. Overall it's a good buy for the price, I can see it lasting at least 5 years regularly Cleaning it.

• Primary use:
    • Personal

Very lightweight, but not very durable

Comments about Eureka Optima Lightweight Bagless Vacuum:

I have had this vacuum cleaner for a few years. I do not have pets, but I have kids and vacuum often. The best thing about this vacuum is how lightweight it is. It makes it very easy to carry up and down the stairs.

It does a decent job vacuuming. It doesn't work very well for the edge of rooms and close to furniture. The hose seems to work pretty well, but it would be nice to have a few more attachments.

It can get clogged. Since it's such a simple design, it is easy to unclog unlike my old vacuum that had a lot more areas to get clogged. I like the look of the simple design. It still looks clean and new. I love all of the fun colors.

It seems rather cheap. The wheels keep falling off when I try to vacuum, but it is a couple of years old.

The price is pretty cheap. I would recommend this to someone that does not have enough money for a more durable option. I would also recommend this to someone with physical disabilities that make it hard to lift or use a heavier vacuum.

Not terrible, not great

Comments about Eureka Optima Lightweight Bagless Vacuum:

I thought this was a great vacuum for a really long time. Until I bought my new and amazing Shark vacuum that is. This Eureka optima vacuum is super light. It is really easy to carry and use, can go up and down stairs no problem. It is as simple as a vacuum can get. Roller can go on or off, which is nice for hard surfaces. Turn a dial on the back and you can use the hose. I will say I loved the hose, it had enough suction and great reach os I could really clean anything with it.

But there are a lot of negatives. The optima does not have very good suction, I used this then used my new vacuum and was shocked at how much more dirt I vacuumed up. It also blows the released air straight forward. So frustrating because it blows dirt all over the place before you can vacuum it up. And finally the bagless container is a real pain to clean out. There is no barrier to prevent the filter from clogging so everything gets completely stuck to it. I would vacuum and there would be nothing in the bottom of the canister because it would all be wrapped around the filter. This made clean up really gross since I would have to go in with my hand to clean it. And dirt clogged up all the tiny folds of the filter and made clean up even worse. I do not recommend this unless you need a tiny vacuum that does not take up much space and do not need to use it too often.

Lasted a really long time

• Versatility:

I love my Eureka vacuum for cleaning in my motor home!

Comments about Eureka Optima Lightweight Bagless Vacuum:

Before I found this Eureka vacuum I had gone through 4 small vacuums that I had thought would work for me when cleaning. Of those 4 vacuums they met their demise by either blowing up because they couldn't stand up to the power needed to clean or they just didn't do the job that I wanted so I ditched them.

When I found this vacuum I really did have my doubts that it would hold up or meet my expectations. As a side note, I have a Rainbow vacuum that I carry with us to do deep cleaning when I feel it is necessary. I guess I was always looking for something smaller and lighter that would give me similar results. This Eureka Optima really is doing just what I wanted!! With it's 12 amp motor and bagless dirt collection system I get the cleaning power to leave me feeling good about the cleanliness of my motor home.

I absolutely love the bagless dirt collection system. Maybe I am a little OCD about it, but I really do enjoy seeing all the dirt and hair that has been picked up when dumping it into the garbage. It never amazes me how much dirt is tracked in and accumulating on the floors and furniture!!

With the small size of this vacuum I can get almost anywhere I need. Living in a motor home I have some tight spaces to get at and the power head on this vacuum fits almost anywhere. It is also able to get in and under low spaces because the head stays flat as the body of the vacuum lays down to be maneuvered in.

I recommend this vacuum to anyone who wants a smaller and lightweight vacuum that will do the job of a big vacuum!

Maneuverability
    With the small size of the power head I can get this vacuum almost anywhere that it needs to be. If the power head won't fit somewhere, simply switch over to the hose with one of the attachments to fit into really tight places.

Ease of Maintenance
    There really is little maintenance to be concerned with. The one filter that catches the fine dust is located snapped onto the inside of the lid of the collection chamber. I remove it when I dump the chamber and knock it gently on the side of a building or inside my garbage can to get as much of the dust out of it as I can. This helps extend the life of that filter allowing me to change it no often than every six months.

Suction Performance
    With the 12 amp motor and bagless collection system the suction performance is outstanding!

Versatility
    This vacuum is operational as an upright with the powerhead, and as a canister type by switching over to the hose operation. This is done by just turning a dial from floor to hose or vice versa. I also love that the powerhead can be turned off with just a flip of a switch so that cleaning can be switched from carpet/rugs to hard surfaces. I use this feature to clean all my floors then I switch to hose to get into all the corners, tight areas and upholstery.

The engineer who designed this vacuum really put a lot of thought into the needs that needed addressed. It is small and lightweight yet cleans various surfaces and sizes of spaces. Kudos!

I have had this vacuum for 5 years now and it still performs flawlessly. Very durable!

• Versatility:

A decent vacuum for small apartments

Comments about Eureka Optima Lightweight Bagless Vacuum:

This vacuum is decent for the price, if you have a small apartment and don't require too much heavy cleaning (for example, if you don't have pets).

Maneuverability
    This vacuum is *very* heavy and is sort of a pain to cart from room to room. Also, it is not particularly maneuverable while in use, and vacuuming anything other than a perfectly square room is tricky. The feature that lets you switch from upright to sort of horizontal to vacuum under things really just tends to engage when you don't want it to, and you spend a lot of time trying to reposition it.

Ease of Maintenance
    I've had the vacuum for more than 5 years, and it has never had any serious issues. It is a bit of a pain to empty however - the canister and filter have to be reattached just right, and the filter itself needs to be painstakingly cleaned every so often or it gets so clogged with lint that it does not work at all. The best way that I've found to clean it is to remove the filter from the canister, take it outside, and use a sharpened pencil to laboriously remove the dust caked into each fold of the filter. (You need to do this outside, or you just redistribute all the dust you've vacuumed up back into the room).

Suction Performance
    This vacuum has very weak suction. It is sufficient for a small apartment with carpeting that isn't deep or shaggy and no pets. Even so, I have to vacuum each week (and run air filters in each room) to control the dust.

Versatility
    I use it to vacuum the carpet in the bedroom and the wood floor in the livingroom (laboriously, with the hose). It is too heavy for minor spills, and the hose is short so it does not have a very long reach.

The attachments snap onto the side of the canister for 'easy' storage. This is nice, as you don't lose the pieces. However, they have an annoying tendency to fall off whilst the machine is being used, and tend to cause a lot of stopping and starting.

While this isn't a fabulous vacuum, and wouldn't do for more than a few rooms of light vacuuming, I've had it for over 5 years now. In that time, it has never broken or malfunctioned, and it works as mediocrely as it ever did.

great vaccuum

from Hartman, AR

Comments about Eureka Optima Lightweight Bagless Vacuum:

This vacuum is great at picking up our babies hair (dogs & cats). We are pet parents and we love our babies but not so much their hair. This eureka optima vacuum picks up dog hair and cat hair with ease. It is bag less and the container is clear so it is easy to see what you got in the container and how full it is. This vacuum will go on carpets and bare floors. It also gets the hair off of your furniture just use the hose and add the pet upholstery brush. It gets all the pet hair off of your furniture. This vacuum is light weight so you can easily carry it from room to room. I love the handle it is easy to grip in any position I need to grip it. The handle also is adjustable so it will adjust to your height. My daughters adjust it to their height when they use it to clean the house. I have to readjust it to my height but it is so easy. It is a self propels and turns easily. It will easily go from carpets to bare floors. To empty the container all you have to do is push the button and it will pop right out. Then just twist the lid and empty.

Eh, not so much

Comments about Eureka Optima Lightweight Bagless Vacuum:

Pretty much not a fan of this vacuum. I bought it about 3 years ago because I liked the design and was switching from a bag vacuum to bagless and this was on sale. I am giving it a 4 because it didn't take long before it died, and that was after it made me mad and I didn't want it anymore anyhow.

Maneuverability
    It maneuvers well, for what it is. Its a very basic vacuum though. You cant really get into corners that well, or underneath things.

Ease of Maintenance
    Pretty simple to take care of, easy to empty the container and to clean out the filters. No real maintenance needed because it died before I even got to that part.

Suction Performance
    This is where the low score comes in. This thing was almost doing a reverse of what it should have been doing. It left a trail of things on my carpet and it actually would spit out things when I used it on a bare floor. I like to vacuum tile and not sweep it, but I was getting no where with this

Versatility
    Not really versatile at all actually. I think it needs a better design

Like I said, it needs a better design, its not very functional

Died after only a year

Pretty good

from Edina, MN

Comments about Eureka Optima Lightweight Bagless Vacuum:

I received this as a present my mom and dad. The Eureka Optima Lightweight Bagless Vacuum 431 worked well for us. It lasted for a couple of years and then died on us. I really liked that it was bagless and you did not have to be hunting down bags for replacement. However, we live in a big house and have a persian cat so we would need to take it apart quite often and clean it out. It would fill up with dust and hairs not only in the tube part, but underneath where the suction goes through the whole machine. As long as it was cleared out, it worked well, but it would get plugged up quite often. This is probably pretty annoying for most people, but I didn't mind much having to clean it out. It was a pretty good price for it to last for a few years. It was easy to maneuver and the suction tube was great for higher places and corners and tight areas. Overall, I was happy with it and wouldn't mind having another.

Maneuverability
    I was able to get around the house with it without trouble.

Ease of Maintenance
    You do have to put a little effort into keeping it clean emptied.

The suction was great.

• Versatility:

Great for a family on a budget

Comments about Eureka Optima Lightweight Bagless Vacuum:

I switched to a bagless vacuum and have no regrets! I have back issues, so bringing out a heavy vacuum every day got to be too much of a chore. Having to try to scour the racks at the store to find the right replacement bag got to be annoying also.

I bought this as a birthday present to myself. I know it sounds silly, but it has been almost life altering. I don't mind bringing it out of the closet. It's so lightweight and easy to use.

It is very simple to empty the canister into the trash. It doesn't make a huge mess. I just know to keep my face back a little bit when some dust comes up. This is normal for bagless vacuums.

It works super well. It can lift cat hair, litter, dirt, sand, and just about any other mess. My allergies have been doing much better because it is actually getting rid of all the tiny microbe germy things you can't see, but are there.

I'm glad I made this purchase. When you live in a carpeted house, it's important to have a really good vacuum.

Averagely Average Vacuum

from New York, NY

Comments about Eureka Optima Lightweight Bagless Vacuum:

I owned this vacuum cleaner for 3 years and overall I would rate this vacuum to be decisively average. The pros: It is cheap. This to me was the biggest selling point. At the time I was shopping with budget in mind and so this fit that criteria nicely. The handle is another major plus. While somewhat odd shaped with the circular looped handle, it made pushing this vacuum a breeze. It was easy to maneuver, especially in the hard to reach areas and under tables. Another plus is the hose at attachments. The hose is flexible and the attachments served their purposes. Unfortunately, the cons outweighed the pros for me.

The cons: Didn't provide a lot of suction. It is fine for lightweight jobs but anything else it struggled with and felt as though more dust and debris was left on the carpet than hoovered up. The canister is another negative. Whenever I went to empty this I could guarantee I would get a face full of dust. The filter also needed to be changed regularly as it would get clogged up. Finally, durability issues led me to buying a Dirt Devil (which I am totally thrilled with and put this vacuum to shame). After 3 years the motor finally broke. All in all I would rate this 3 stars. It is fine for light work, but anything else it struggled with.