3.2

Pros

Cons

• Customer Service:
    • Available Plans:

I wouldn't change to any other auto insurance.

I've had Erie Insurance for about three years now.  The reason I first switched to Erie is because my parents dealt with the same company for twenty years.  I guess every insurance company might appear to be the same until you have to file a claim.  I was involved in a bad accident in October of 2005.  I totaled my car, but luckily my two children and I were not hurt.  As a precaution, the ambulance took the kids to the ER to be checked out.  I ended up going to the ER a few days later to be checked because of arm and knee pain from the accident.  The medical bills totaled over $5,000.00.  I submitted the bills to Erie and they were almost immediately paid.  I had a rental car the same day as my accident.  Every Erie representative that I dealt with during that difficult time was nothing short of wonderful.  Thats where the difference is.  I will be an Erie customer for life.

Unethical Insurance Company

I agree Erie Insurance has competitive rate and decent service.  However, they will do anything possible to dodge their responsibility to fulfill their liability to pay claims.  Their cheap rate is at the cost of their policy holders not getting fair pay-outs and unfairness to others who are brought into an ugly situations of having to deal with Erie Insurance because the damages were caused by Erie policy holders.

This is absolutely the WORST insurance company I ever has to deal with.  They are an unethical insurance carrier.  I was shocked by their dealing with my claim until I consulted attorneys in my region.  The lawyers unanimously told me this has been the way Erie practices over the years.

Please do yourself and others a favor by dropping Erie Insurance.  You are unknowling hurt yourself and others by funding an unethical company.  They are only interested in taking your premium, not providing fair service to the claimants.

LGBTQ PROBLEM

from 18103

Comments about Erie Insurance:

If you are an LGBTQ person STAY AWAY from this bigoted company. The company will say they are very much for the LGBTQ community but their agents are another story.

Disappointed in ERIE

from Latrobe PA

Comments about Erie Insurance:

I am sending this letter to air my utter disappointment with ERIE !
I am 51 and have had Erie auto coverage since 16 and Home owners since 1987.ERIE is my only coverage. Yes I have in the past been late on paying but to my recollection only 3-4 times in 35 years. I think that's pretty darn good. Each time I was late it was certainly an over sight on my part but when I realized I was at fault I made the payments to continue coverage. So now, I miss a payment date and got a cancelation notice that was mailed 1 day after the due date. WOW is that a great way to treat a customer of 35 years ! I know this letter will not mean a thing to ERIE but I want someone to know that even though I know it won't hurt ERIE, I believe that ERIE will be loosing 4 lifetime customers . I would not recommend ERIE to anyone.
Very disheartened ,
Brian D Richards

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

Erie Insurance Has Let My Family Down

from South Bend, IN

Comments about Erie Insurance:

Over the course of the last two years, our Lexus was totaled in a car accident, no fault of our own. Erie replaced our Lexus. Within 6-months, I encountered my first accident and my car was totaled. Erie replaced it. Last year, I made a house claim, due to a faulty (new) water heater leaking and flooding my basement by a couple of inches, Erie took that claim and reimbursed me for minimal damages. I recently called the Insurance Agent and was informed that Erie would be dropping me and my family from their company. Mind you, these were the first claims in over 25 years that I have ever made with an Insurance company. I was informed that Erie expects the average client to only make 1 claim in 17 years and if you make more than that you are a risk. I like doing business with a company for years, perhaps even a lifetime, but Erie is not that company! It regrets me to say, that I will not be recommending Erie Insurance to any of my family and friends, unless of course, they only plan on having one accident claim in 17 years!

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

Great policy, aweful service.

from WI

Comments about Erie Insurance:

The coverage provided by this company is wonderful, but they people who work there aren't very professional and have turned me away.

Erie Customer for over 18 years - Good until claim

from Concord, NC

Comments about Erie Insurance:

I have been a customer for over 18 years. Last year, we had an accident with a dog. It took about 5 days to get an adjuster and the worked with the body shop to repair the damage. A comp claim.
Since I am with them for 18 years, they provide safe driver discount and no surcharge ever for at-fault accidents.
When I received my renewal this year, the policy rate increased by nearly 20%. When I asked the agent, they said they would check with Erie.
When my agent called, I was surprised with the news. Because of the comprehensive claim, they reduced my discount. Also, they charged extra because I opened a credit card account in the last 30 days even tho my credit score is over 830.
I could not believe how they get around the no fault rules and charge more for opening a credit card..
Bottom line...Goodbye Erie!

Unethical Company

from Dayton, ohio

Comments about Erie Insurance:

I was hit by an Erie Insured, the lady swerved into my lane, police report says it was her fault and they denied responsibility. I believe we the people pay for insurance for a reason and not only for me but for everyone, this is unethical practice. So now they are going to tie up the court system! I know people think it's good if you are insured by Erie, but you are leaving the door open for the injured to come after you...be careful for cheap insurance companies like this one!!!

Looking for some answers Erie and Niagara Insurance

from Ogdensburg

Comments about Erie Insurance:

Hello, I would like to start off by saying that everyone that has an issue with Erie and Niagara Insurance my heart goes out to you, and unfortunately, I know how you feel. My neighbor had a house fire a year ago, and unfortunately the fire went to my house, and melted the siding and did damage to my house. Along with damage to the OSB board, insulation among other things. The heat and force from the fire hoses took out my compressor in my central air unit that was only 2 years old. Long story short they don't want to do anything. The neighbor's insurance is not responsible because they did not cause the fire so therefore I cannot make a claim against their insurance. My neighbor house was totaled, torn down, re-build and moved in and I still have no central air, side wall and etc. Looking for some advice. Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

Good company but behind the times

from Poconos, PA

Comments about Erie Insurance:

I have had Erie since I first began driving and once married added my husband and the house to our policy. We haven't had many incidents that required us to use the insurance in those years. Our original local rep retired a number of years ago and so far, the new rep has been very good when you need to get in contact with them to add vehicles, etc. With home and auto together, our rates have not significantly gone up , except when my teenage son was added to the policy which was not a surprise. My only issue with the company as a whole would be how long it took them to get with the times and offer on-line bill payment. With how many companies out there that offer it, it still took Erie years (until 2013) to have a on-line bill pay on their website. This makes me a bit wary of their infrastructure for the future.

30 Years With Erie Insurance Got Us Nowhere

from Malvern, PA

Comments about Erie Insurance:

My family has used Erie Insurance for over 30 years. When I was in a car accident caused by another driver, I called my insurance agent to make a claim. I explained that the car was owned by my mother and father, and insured for me to drive.

The insurance agent rushed through explaining the claim to me, and when I asked for clarification as to why I would need to personally pay for damages, she told me, "this is why you should have talked to your father before making a claim."

I am a 22 year old woman who just experienced my first car accident, and I certainly did not appreciate the customer service my Erie agent provided when I needed her most. She finished the conversation by instructing me to call the other driver's insurance company to see if the damages would be covered by the driver-at-fault.

I spoke with a Nationwide representative who explained the claim to me in a clear and concise manner, and treated me like a real human-being. Within 10 minutes I was given a claim number, a personal representative to contact with further questions, and a time for an adjuster to come and personally inspect my car.

Long story short... I did speak with my father about my insurance claim with Erie Insurance, and we both agreed: it might be about time to switch insurance companies.

Horrible service/no pay out 7 months and

Comments about Erie Insurance:

Erie's rates are very good but...if you are involved in an accident, don't expect to have your bills paid even though medical coverages is in the policy.
I was involved in a car accident in August of 2014. I was not at fault not even 1%. My car was totalled and I ended up in the Emergency Room with many follow up doctor's appointments and pain meds. 7 months later and I have not received any reimbursement for all the bills. Yesterday, I receive a letter from a collection agency that I need to pay my bills IN FULL immediately. Tanya at Erie has made a million excuses as to why my claim has not been paid. #1 We recently went to a paperless system and your information got lost in the system. REALLY? #2 She doesn't have to talk to me because I have a lawyer and she will only talk to him! REALLY - I pay you to work on my claim! #3 Erie never received the medical release form that is needed for claim processing. REALLY - It was sent in the mail and faxed shortly after the accident. There are several more ridiculous excuses as to why I still do not have the money Erie owes me. As soon as this is all cleared up and a settlement has been reached, we are DONE with ever using Erie again! DO NOT use Erie for your car insurance provider!