Other Cold & Flu Medicines:
Equate

Pros

Cons

Equate Nite Time Cherry Flavor Multi-Symptom Cold/Flu Relief

Equate Nite Time Cherry Flavor Multi-Symptom Cold/Flu Relief is Walmart's generic version of Nyquil. They both have the same ingredients and the same doses. Each has
acetaminophen (generic Tylenol) to relieve...Read complete review

acetaminophen (generic Tylenol) to relieve pain and reduce fever, dextromethorphan to suppress coughing, and doxylamine succinate, an antihistamine to reduce congestion. The label says that this product causes "drowsiness" but it knocked me out and woke up 12 hours later. I'm not complaining; I needed the sleep, but you might not want to take this if you have to work or be alert, thinking that you'll just get a bit drowsy. The cherry flavoring didn't do too much to mask the medicinal taste, so I use the capsule form now instead (same dose, same ingredients as the liquid, and less messy, too.) The real test is how well this worked: for me, this is very good if you only have a mild case of the flu. It helped somewhat with the cough and pain and fever, but I have had prescription strength flu medicines that worked better, but if you can't get to a doctor's office when you have the flu, Equate Nite Time does a good job of lessening (but not entirely alleviating ) the symptoms.

Equate Night Time Cherry Flavor

I felt this was very similiar to NyQuil brand cold medicine.  I thought the taste was very similiar.  Both do burn slighly as you swallow them but I automatically associate that with medicines like this so it does not bother me.

I do think this helped a lot to sleep through the night with my cold.  I felt like it was effective throughout the entire night and did not feel overly groggy in the morning.

This is also much cheaper than NyQuil brand products, which originally got me to try it when I wanted some cold medicine.

On the downside, I did feel that this over-the-counter medication did not combine well with the prescription medications I am on and I did experience some nightmares and night sweats at night when taking them together.  I've also had that happen on NyQuil and felt that they were less severe on the Equate brand than the NyQuil so that was a bonus for me.  Finally, while this is effective at suppressing sypmtoms overnight I also do not feel that it helps make the symptoms go away.

from Chesapeake, VA

Great Alternative

from chicago Illinois

Comments about Equate Nite Time Cherry Flavor Multi-Symptom Cold/Flu Relief:

This product is a great alternative to the popular brand of cough medication, and it saves you money. I like that it alleviates the cough and congestion that tends to comes with a cold. I like that it does not leave me jittery the next day. This product does help you to sleep while you are experiencing the symptoms of the cold, however it does not leave you with that hungover feeling the next day.

Congestion Relief
This product does a really good job with nasal congestion, although it does tend to dry you out in the process. I have had a good experience using this product in conjunction with a humidifier to avoid nasal dryness.

Chest Congestion Relief
It does work for chest congestion also, but it takes a while longer for that to start working.

Relief of Aches & Pains
It does wonders for body aches and pains and it helps you to sleep at the same time.

Cough Suppression
This product does a good job suppressing coughs, and helping you to relax faster and longer. Over time it does loosen the chest congestion making it less painful to cough.

Generic NyQuil

Comments about Equate Nite Time Cherry Flavor Multi-Symptom Cold/Flu Relief:

One thing I hate about sleep aids is the groggy feeling you get in the morning. I almost always hate that. This product is the exception. The reason is that generally when I am taking this product, I feel horrible to begin with. I only take this when I'm really sick.

I don't see that this product is any different from the name brand product.

Congestion Relief
Equate Nite Time Cherry Flavor Multi-Symptom Cold/Flu Relief tends to knock me out pretty fast. I do find that I wake up with less congestion.

Chest Congestion Relief
It relieves my chest congestion, which is usually what stops me from sleeping. So the combination of sleep aid and chest congestion relief helps get me through the miserable days when I have a cold

Relief of Aches & Pains
It generally knocks me out so I don't feel the aches & pains.

Cough Suppression
I go from coughing and feeling like I'm going to break a rib to sound asleep within 20 minutes. Pretty good for someone with a miserable cold.

Average Results

from Utah

Comments about Equate Nite Time Cherry Flavor Multi-Symptom Cold/Flu Relief:

Compared to the price and effectiveness of name brand products, this probably works just as well as any other. The difference in results is negligible, and the cost is definitely lower than many of the alternatives.

Congestion Relief
This does seem to help with congestion, although it certainly doesn't clear it up completely or immediately.

Chest Congestion Relief
If I begin to develop any congestion in my chest, then this seems to clear it up pretty quickly and easily. I don't usually get it in the first place, but this does help when I do.

Relief of Aches & Pains
I don't usually get aches and pains when I have a cold, so it's hard for me to tell whether or not this is being effective. But perhaps it is working well enough to help me avoid them in the first place.

Cough Suppression
One thing I do struggle with when I get a cold is an itchy throat that causes a more constant cough. It may be because I get this worse than some, but this medicine doesn't seem to suppress that tickle and cough nearly as much as I would like for it to do for me.

Cheaper Version of NyQuil

Comments about Equate Nite Time Cherry Flavor Multi-Symptom Cold/Flu Relief:

Equate Nite Time cold/flu relief is the cheaper version of NyQuil and works just the same. I used to buy a bottle of NyQuil every time I needed a relief from my cold or flu symptoms, until recently. I always believed that the generic versions are not always as good as the originals and in some cases that still is the case. Buy, trust me when I say that the Equate Nite Time cold/flu works just the same as the more expensive cold/flu night time relief NyQuil. Walmart's Nite Time cold/flu helped me get some much needed rest when I was suffering from a virus. I had excruciating stomach pain, a fever and was throwing up. By taking Equate Nite Time cold/flu relief, I was able to basically sleep while letting the flu medicine do its job. It helped bring down my fever and eliminated my stomach pain. I had taken both the NyQuil cold/flu and the Equate Nite Time cold/flu and I can honestly say that there was no difference on how the two medicines worked. Both flu medicines work fast at breaking fevers and relieving any discomfort that the flu gave me. The only difference I found was that the Equate's cold/flu medicine was cheaper than the NyQuil cold/flu brand.

Good and bad

from Syracuse, New York

Comments about Equate Nite Time Cherry Flavor Multi-Symptom Cold/Flu Relief:

This product has to be measured in manner of risk vs. benefit approach. Equate Nite Time Cherry Flavor Multi Symptom Cold / Flu Relief is nasty as far as taste is concerned. It tastes like cherry and black licorice mixed together. The effects and active ingredients are most consistent with Niquil cough syrup. It is very effective for treating cold / flu symptoms and seems to work pretty quickly without much delay. It definitely provides relief from cough, chest pain, facial pressure, fever and body aches. It will also knock you out pretty good so you can sleep while it works it's magic so to speak. My only concern wth this medication is that it has a dextrohymethomine similar drug in it that, when taken in high doses, can lead to dependence or other serious side effects. The abuse potential for this medication is extreme. Especially if you have adolescents in your home. This medicine should be stored away according to how high you believe the risk of misuse within your home it actually poses. Overall, it is a very effective medication that works efficiently and effectively but, cation should be taken to prevent misuse.

Good Value

from Auburn, WA

Comments about Equate Nite Time Cherry Flavor Multi-Symptom Cold/Flu Relief:

I am giving the Equate Nite Time Cherry Flavor Multi-Symptom Cold/Flu Relief a five. It is a good value compared to the other "national" "name" brands that are also available. I also find that the active ingredients are either the same or very close to the national brands.

If your not aware, Equate is the store brand for Walmart.

This works well in that it covers colds and flu symptoms that keep you up during the night so that you can't sleep. I also find that it is slight sedating so that you can sleep.

The cherry flavor makes it easier to take then some of the others that have a bad aftertaste.

All in all, I would recommend this product. It does what it claims and is a good value.

Equate Nite Time Cold/Flu Relief

from Deland, FL

Comments about Equate Nite Time Cherry Flavor Multi-Symptom Cold/Flu Relief:

I usually buy Nyquil but since this is half the price, I decided to try it. It has the exact active ingredients and costs less. I was very pleased with how it worked. I got a great nights sleep and woke up feeling better.

• Cough Suppression:

Works as good as NyQuil at half the price!

from Port Lavaca, TX

Comments about Equate Nite Time Cherry Flavor Multi-Symptom Cold/Flu Relief:

I have no complaints! My husband is pretty brand dependent and was very skeptical when I brought it home but was convinced after getting a great night sleep with a horrible cold! And at half the price, I always love an opportunity to save money!

Congestion Relief
Really helped with congestion so you can get a good nights sleep

Cough Suppression
No problems with coughing after taking some!

• Cough Suppression:

I buy this every cold season!

Comments about Equate Nite Time Cherry Flavor Multi-Symptom Cold/Flu Relief:

I love this stuff because it works great every time I have a cold! I take it at night and it makes my throat feel better but also does wonders for pain relief and making me feel better and putting me to sleep. It allows me to breathe better and keeps my cough at bay. I am a repeat customer because of how effective it is. Works great at a decent price!