3.6

3.6

Pros

Cons

• Dosage Control:

Equate Nicotine Patches worked for me!

Equate Nicotine Patches from Walmart. After smoking for 30+ years, I finally decided, I was going to quit so I could spend time with the grandchildren that I didn't have yet. The thought of not getting to meet my grandchildren was so saddening I knew I had to do something. So at the age of 41 (yes, I started very early) I bought enough Equate Nicotine Patches for a six week run. I compared the Equate to the Nicoderm. I found that the Equate was equal innicotine strength to the more costly Nicoderm. The price was much easier on the wallet was an added bonus.  I went ahead and bought two weeks of the three different strengths so I could step down and make this job of quitting an easier prospect. Thinking I was mentally preparing myself I chose my quit date. Valentines day, this was to be my Valentines to my husband and my sons. I made sure to aquaint myself with the patches, and what to expect, reading the inserts over and over to make sure I didn't miss something. Part of the preparing was getting rid of all the ashtrays, all but one until I finished this last pack. I couldn't waste the money I'd spent on the cigs now could I? Who would have thought that quitting would require such planning? I smoked my last cigarette with relish and nearly cried as I crushed the very last of it in the ashtray. I put on a patch with trepidation, then took the time to wash the ashtray. I just knew that the desire to smoke would be overwhelming in a few short hours, it had to be, it always had been in the past! Was I surprised when that craving did not rear it's ugly head! The act of quitting was very easy that first two weeks as the patches had quite a bit of nicotine in them. But the dreams! The dreams were intense. I've heard some give up because of the dreams, but I was determined to keep on this difficult journey of becoming a non-smoker. I did not have any problem with the patches sticking to my arm, I just made sure that the area was very clean and extremely dry before placing the patch on.

As I stepped down to the next level, I was terrified that there would not be enough nicotine to carry me through. The thought that the battle would become worse, and I would lose my fight with the cancer sticks was almost paralyzing! Every now and then the urge to smoke would creep up on me and I'd unconsciously rub the patch, pick up a pencil and chew on the end of it. I realized I was trying to replace the hand to mouth habit. So I had to change my routine. Stop sitting in areas that I 'used' to normally smoke in, like at the computer or while having coffee. I was not giving up my coffee though, no deal! The smell of smoke on my clothing and in my hair were finally wearing off. Things started to smell fresher, cleaner, and perfumes were overwhelming. What had I been doing to my body? My breathing was getting easier, the biggest problem? Eating! Now it seems, I had replaced my smoking with eating. Why do we have to have such addictive personalities? Did you know though that the body is actually over the nicotine addiction within the first week? The fight against the habit of picking up a smoke is actually the hardest part. Especially after a meal. My suggestion, IF you really want to quit, then a few weeks before trying, stop yourself from smoking in your usual places. Don't light up while at your computer. Wait a while after you eat before smoking. After sex, make yourself go outside to smoke! It's getting easier to stay away from smoky pubs though, with the new laws going into effect recently.

The last step. The nicotine was very minimal, but by this time I didn't want the nicotine anymore. The dreams were settling down, not quite as vivid as the first week. But now came the count down of the patches. Only a few left, what was I going to do? Could I manage without a patch at all? Had I become addicted to the very thing that I used to break my addiction to cigarettes? The thought of going through the day without the patch was a scary one indeed. When that day came I nearly held my breath all day, waiting in anticipation for that strong desire to pick up a smoke become overwhelming. It didn't come. I felt calm, at peace, didn't need, require or desire a smoke at all. I was cured! I was a non smoker! For the first time in all these years, I was finally a non smoker! I had even smoked through my three pregnancies! Couldn't even quit then, but now, thanks to the Equate Nicotine Patch, I could sit at the table after eating and not require a smoke!

They say that the average smoker will try to quit at least six times before succeeding. This is not true in my case. I had only really tried once, and that was with hypnosis. Apparently it didn't work right? Or I wouldn't have had to try the nicotine patches. Now 6 years later, I sit here still smoke free! Thank you Equate Nicotine Patches.

Better than nothing

So I have been using these (Step or Level 1) for a week now, trying to kick my addiction to nicotine.  Using these patches is definitely better than going without, but they are not without their drawbacks.  First off, though they are the off-brand, and therefore cheaper, they are still very expensive.  Yet, in the long run it should be cheaper than not quitting (though right now I am paying more for the patches) and better for my health.

A word of advice if you use these- put it on in the morning. I first used it in the evening, and then could not fall asleep.  Even now if I wear it to bed, I have really strange dreams (which i hear is a fairly common side effect).  The lack of sleep on top of withdrawal (though this patch gives me nicotine, it is still less than my body is used to) makes me even more miserable.

Honestly, they seem to work just as well as the name brand ones.  They are clear= slightly less noticeable.  The edges do peel off a bit sometimes, but it has stayed on even when showering.  Overall, I'd recommend them; I was way worse off the day I forgot to put one on.

Last Chance

Comments about Equate Nicotine Patches:

I have tried to quit smoking many times in the last 50+ years to no avail. I think the longest period of not smoking was about a week but that was not because I wanted to quit, it was the first week of basic training. I decided to try the patches from Walmart. The first day was not what I anticipated it was actually very smooth and easy as have been the next 23. I am still on the step 1 patch but have no desire to pick up a smoke or a chew of Red Man. I feel the secret to this working is the very strong desire to quit. If you are having glancing thoughts about quitting or deep inside really don't want to quit I do not think these will work for you however if like me you have tried everything else please give them a try. They do not stick real well but I tape mine on as they work so well. I am going to go the full time of 6 weeks on step one and 2 weeks on step 2 and 3 and hope that I have used tobacco for the last time. I am 65 years old and have said many times that if I could get off tobacco my life would be complete.

Good if Needed

from Utah

Comments about Equate Nicotine Patches:

If something is needed to help reduce nicotine cravings and help one quit smoking, then these seem to be effective. Combining their effectiveness with their low cost, off-brand status makes them a good deal for someone to try.
However, smoking is terrible for the health in many different ways. Certainly the better option is to avoid smoking altogether in the first place, thereby never needing to use nicotine patches such as these ones.

These seem to be effective at reducing nicotine cravings, helping one reduce or eliminate the feeling of the need to smoke.

These patches are very easy to apply and use, and their clearness make them harder to see and less noticeable for others. It is always nice to be able to use something that people won't necessarily notice.

Side Effects
Haven't noticed any negative side effects

Immediacy
They work about as quickly as the equivalents from other brands, making them as good of an alternative as any.

Dosage Control
The dosage control seems to be appropriate

Quitting Smoking? These will help

Comments about Equate Nicotine Patches:

If nicotine is what you crave and your desire to quit smoking is great, these patches will work. Beware of the nausea they sometimes cause.

Dosage Control
The dosage is not hard to control, get the lower milligram. The higher milligram patches cause me to feel sick.

Mellow And Pleasant

Comments about Equate Nicotine Patches:

If you're partner is still smoking while you're trying to quit, GOOD LUCK! I completely quit smoking (smoked 1/2 pack per day for 3 years) for 2 weeks and started smoking again because my girlfriend still smoked everyday (got drunk one night) and cigarettes were still around the house. You're best bet is to finish you're cigarettes or sell them to someone.

I actually loved the feeling these gave me. It was such a mellow, smooth feeling, unlike cigarettes. I never got jittery or anything. They really do work but you must not have cigarettes around the house and stay away from smokers for a while.

It's not too hard to put a patch on if you have half a brain. Take the OLD PATCH off BEFORE you shower and put the NEW PATCH on AFTER you shower. My patch stayed on the full 24 hours.

Side Effects
Left some sticky adhesive to my arms or chest but really nothing to complain about.

Immediacy
The cravings go away in 30 minutes for me.

Dosage Control
Started with the 14mg and then went to 7mg.

Not worth the savings

Comments about Equate Nicotine Patches:

It does NOT STICK to the skin for the 24 hours... It will hardly stick for 4 hours. I had to use tape or band-aids to keep it on. Switched to Nicoderm with much better results. What's the point of fighting with something that is supposed to be easy? Spend the extra couple bucks & buy a name brand, because you'll save the money in the long run by not having to tape the patch down.

Seems to work ok, but won't stick to skin.

Have to keep checking to see if it's still there.

Side Effects
I had no problem with rash or anything.

Immediacy
Seemed ok, but Nicoderm is better.

OK.

• Dosage Control:

This really worked for me

from Gordon, GA

Comments about Equate Nicotine Patches:

I didn't think I was ever going to quit smoking after 30+ years, but, my boss offered to help me quit. I was given the option of trying the patches and suprisingly they worked. At first I was hesitant, that I would be snapping every ones heads off, but, these really work great. I get up first thing in the morning, put my patch on and go about my day like I would ususally do. I even have my morning cup of coffee or 3 and still no craving. My husband is still smoking which I thought would be a real deterent, but, it just smells awfull to me now. I would suggest this product to anyone who is trying to kick this nasty habit. It truely does work. If your serious about quitting this is surely the easiest way to go. Good luck with the process!!!

• Dosage Control:

Nicoltine Patches didn't work for me

from Norwalk, CA

Comments about Equate Nicotine Patches:

I have never really considered myself addicted to cigarettes, I just enjoy the act of smoking. I have been told I needed to quit so my wife bought me some of these. I tried them and they didn't really do anything for me. I don't ever really have a nicotine craving, I just enjoy smoking cigarettes every once in awhile, so maybe that is why this didn't do anything for me. If I had cravings I suppose they would have helped them. It is convenient if you are going crazy because you haven't had a nicotine fix and you can just slap a patch on your arm, but it didn't help me at all. At the end of the day I wasn't craving a cigarette, but I still wanted to smoke one just because it helps me relax. Might work for some, but not for everyone.

equate nicotine patch is awesome

from Huntsville, AL

Comments about Equate Nicotine Patches:

I started smoking when I was 12 and I am now 48. I bought my patches and had them for a week before I put one on. I woke up on a sunday morning and my throat and mouth were dry and I told myself instead of getting out of the bed and going straight to my cigarettes and light one that I was going to quit right then and there. I put a patch on and fought off the cravings and later that evening I hardly had any cravings. The first two days were almost craving free. Then the 3rd 4th 5th & 6th day the cravings were a little strong. I got mad and started posting on facebook about my decision on quitting smoking and I started counting down hours that I had not smoked. I call cigarettes demon sticks and I told myself that I was stronger than them and they no longer have control over me or my life. My nephew started the patches 4 days after me and he and I are each others support. I have tried to quit several times in the past so when I told my daughter,family and friends they were just like o.k. here she goes again, everybody stay clear for a few days ( because of my past withawal crankiness) and she will start smoking again. The patch helps with the withdrawal symptoms. I like that i don't smell like a ashtray and I can breath. The cravings still come but not as bad. I just will not give in. These patches are a life saver for me. I have got this this time. I am a non-smoker. I haven't smoke a cigarette in 12 days 15 1/2 hours. Good luck to everyone that are trying to put those little demon sticks down get mad and take back your life. I am going to stay with the pogram the full 8 weeks so as to have a better chance of not getting the bad cravings back.

These Equate Nicotine Patches are worth less then garbage.

from Garden City, ID

Comments about Equate Nicotine Patches:

I bought these because I wanted to quit smoking but I didn't want to pay outlandish prices or risk having thoughts about suicide due to prescription medication. So I picked them up and the next day I slapped one on.

At first I had the cravings and the irritability, I knew it was because I wasn't getting as much nicotine as I would smoking.........ok I can handle that.  Then it started itching, not bad but some slight irritation so I looked on the package and it said this may happen. Ok no biggie

WHAT THEY DON'T TELL YOU!!!

1. I started puking violently and went to the hospital, they ran a couple tests and found out it was because of the patches.  They said it was probably because something in it got into my skin and ultimately into my bloodstream along with the nicotine.

2.  The rash, when I took it off the rash was so red and then it started to burn.

Guess what this ain't worth your money so don't bother trying it.  I would rather keep smoking, which is what I'm doing, then deal with the puking and the rashes. I'm actually thinking of talking to my doctor about the medication then over the counter.

Equate Nicotine Patches worked for me!

from Clover, SC