Other Baby Formulas:

Enfamil A.R. Infant Formula

Pros

Cons

• Ease of Preparation:

Enfamil A.R.? Does That Mean Accounts Receivable?

Having two babies back to back means continuing the ordeal of serving baby formula from one child to the next. I have used several different brands and styles and found most to be similar with only a few minor differences. One formula I got from the pediatrician and served to my youngest is **Enfamil A.R.**, an infant formula blended with rice starch to help prevent spitting up. **Baby Formula Facts and Figures: **This formula is sold in either powered or a ready to serve bottle. My experience is with the powdered variety and it has a similar look to other powered formulas. It is less fine in texture but it has the same yellowish color and cardboard- like aroma when dry. The "A.R." in this formula's title stands for "Added Rice" starch and it is this ingredient that helps prevent spitting up. This added ingredient helps to thicken the formula. And thicker formula in a baby's stomach means babies will have an easier time keeping the formula down. Enfamil A.R contains DHA and ARA (Docosahexaenoic Acid and Arachidonic Acid) fatty acids for better overall health. These fatty acids are also found in natural breast milk and they help aid in a child's development, particularly the brain and eyes. Breast milk is still best according to the experts but these added nutrients make this baby formula a close second- best. **Baby Formula Commentary:**

Enfamil A.R. is a specially made formula to help prevent babies from coughing up formula and it is useful to those young children \who have problems in this area. Some babies have a habit of spitting up due to acid reflux and other diseases. Others spit up due to temporary stomach problems that gradually go away over time. Enfamil A.R. helps to keep these problems under control, leading to better health for your baby and fewer messes for you. Enfamil accomplishes this goal through the addition of rice starch- an addition that makes the formula a little thicker and harder to mix. A few uses confirms that Enfamil A.R. is, indeed, more difficult to mix up. Even if you shake it extra well and then shake it some more, it will still not be completely dissolved and it will leave lumps in the bottle. Pouring the mixture from a large plastic container/shaker into bottles, I felt like I needed to add more water and re-shake because of the lumps. There is probably nothing wrong with doing this except that it means there will be less nutrition per serving than usual due to the dilution of the power in a greater amount of liquid. Besides the difficulty in mixing, there is one other potential problem that Enfamil A.R. directly causes: Constipation. I noticed that, after my little one had been drinking this for a while, she would often squirm and cry when it came time to relieve herself. I didn't think anything of it at first, but then I checked her diaper and found out what the fussing was all about. Her potty, which is usually runny and soft, was harder and chunky. No wonder the little baby girl was making all that noise. She couldn't relieve herself without it causing some pain. At this point it might seem like Enfamil A.R. is deserving of a bad overall review and possibly a one- star rating. But there are many positive things to mention about this infant formula and depending on the problems with spitting up and various stomach issues, the constipation and lack of mixability might be unimportant. First and foremost, Enfamil A.R. has been clinically proven to reduce instances of spitting up by more than 40 percent. If you're baby has a serious stomach problem and a chronic case of throwing up his/her infant formula, then Enfamil A.R. could be just the formula you're looking for. Yes, you will still have to deal with the lumpy formula and the constipation but these could quickly become minor concerns for a baby with a bad spit up problem. Second, this formula contains DHA and ARA, along with a well- balanced list of nutritional ingredients, giving well- intentioned parents peace of mind.

**Bottom Line:**

Overall, Enfamil A.R. is a useful formula for babies with specific health issues that cause digestive problems in the stomach. I didn't know about this special type of formula until this year and it has helped to educate me on the different types of formulas that manufacturers continue to create to address specific infant problems. When I see A.R. on anything, I think of Accounts Receivable, not Added Rice Starch. But Enfamil has shown that, once again, it is a leader in infant health products. Its A.R. formula helps reduce spitting up and it can prove to be a godsend for parents whose baby has a chronic problem.

Didn't work for us!

My son was a horrible spit up baby with severe acid reflux and colic. This really didn't work for us. It is a thicker formula so it is supposed to stay down better, but I really didn't see any improvements in his spitting up. I didn't like that it was harder to mix and it stuck to the bottle after he drank it with a weird film and often clogged the nipple even after shaking it up again and again.

Easily Digested
My son still had problems digesting this formula and it would often come up just about as much as when he was on other formulas. He would also get constipated when using this formula, it isn't for babies with more severe digestion and acid reflux issues.

Ease of Preparation
I had problems with this formula dissolving well in water. It often would clog the nipple up and leave little chunks of formula in the bottle. Overall it just wasn't convenient and it didn't work well enough for us to continue using for more than one can.

Lifesaver

from Cherry Valley

About Me Parent of Two or More Children

Pros

• Keeps Well
  • Mixes Easily

Cons

• Infants
    • Newborn

Comments about Enfamil A.R. Infant Formula:

As a first time mom who bottle-fed from day one, I tried every Enfamil formula I could to get my baby to stop spitting up which inevitability led to weight loss. Towards the end of his bottle days, we tried AR. This is amazing! Reduced the spit up by 90% which made for a happy baby and a happy mama! When my second baby came 25mo later, we told the hospital from the moment he was born to give us AR. And he hadn't had a single issue either. It can constipate some babies (with my first it did but not with #2) because of the ricr starch. Rice is binding. I added a little baby oatmeal to each bottle and it kept everything working really good.

Helps keep acid reflex and spit up at bay!

from Elko, Nevada

Comments about Enfamil A.R. Infant Formula:

I have three kids who I all used this formula for. My oldest is 9 years old now, a 6 year old and a 3 year old. They all three had really bad acid reflex since birth and all projectile vomited horribly after they would eat a bottle since they came home from the hospital. This was the only formula that seemed to help with it. They all three were also on a prescription medication along with this formula. Any of the other formulas did not help at all and they would projectile vomit within a few minutes of them starting their bottles. This formula helped so much and it made it a lot less frequent then it was with any of the other types of formula that I tried. This formula is a little bit spendy, but it was a lot more when I first bought it 9 years ago, so it was nice with my last child to see that the price had gone down some. I would highly recommend this formula if anyone has a child that has acid reflex or a child that seems to spit up a lot more frequently than other children do. Great formula from a company that has been around for a long time and is very trusted in providing consumers with a great product to feed their little beautiful bundles of joy!

• Ease of Preparation:

Great for baby with minor spit up and reflux issues

from Columbus, OH

Comments about Enfamil A.R. Infant Formula:

My son had minor reflux and spit up issues. When we used standard infant formula, he would wheeze after feedings because of the reflux irritating his esophagus. Once we switched to the A.R. formula, the wheezing happened much less often and the spit up never happened unless it was due to accidental over feeding since we were using this formula to supplement breatmilk.

Easily Digested
    Many people have concern that reflux formulas will cause constipation in their infants. However, we did not experience any issues with constipation at all. In fact, his stool diapers did not change at all after introducing this formula into his diet. He did wheeze significantly less so the formula defintely helped reduce his acid reflux.

Ease of Preparation
    This formula is easy to prepare. Although, I find that the powder dissolves easier when being mixed with warm water versus room temperature water.

Didn't work for us!

Good For Spit Up

Comments about Enfamil A.R. Infant Formula:

This formula was recommended to me by my son's pediatrician because my son had a stomach valve problem to where he would spit up all if not more than half of his formula. Well we tried this formula and it seemed to work, my baby was happy and not hungry all the time. But there was another problem. This formula actually made my son constipated to the point that we had to take him to the doctor again. So I say to you use this formula with caution.

Ease of Preparation
    It was easy to make, the only problem is that it stank up to high hell.

A LIFE SAVER FOR SPITTY BABIES

Comments about Enfamil A.R. Infant Formula:

Having two spitty babies myself, I was so thankful to have found this product. It not only helps with spit-up but keeps their bellies full and helps with sleeping, especially at night.

The AR on the package is for ''added rice''. Helpful hint: Make the hole in bottle nipples slightly larger because this formula is thicker than normal thin formula and won't go through a small hole. Using a prong on a fork works well for this.

Another great thing about this formula is, like with my first child, they did not have much interest in eating. This will fill them up more, making feedings per day less.

For new moms who are wondering about the health aspect of this formula...my children were all healthy while eating this and weighed in just a little over ''normal weight''. This will not make a child FAT, as some worry about with the added rice. It is simply for babies who need more food, need to gain weight or for spitty babies. And it works great!

Ease of Preparation
    Shake well, as this is somewhat thick and to prevent chunks.

Awesome stuff!

Comments about Enfamil A.R. Infant Formula:

We had many issues when it came to formula with my son. We tried them all. In the hospital, we had a 70 day NICU stay, they used similac and it worked fine, but when we came home we changed to enfamil ar. I have no complaints. My son gained weight, kept it down, and was not constipated, which was our issue with similac. Love love love this formula!

• Ease of Preparation:

Great for babies with spit up issues!

Comments about Enfamil A.R. Infant Formula:

My son was started on Similac for Spit Up in the hospital. I noticed by the time he was 2 weeks old he was always have runny poops, and because of it always had a rash of some sort. I decided to switch him to Enfamil AR and what a difference it has made! He has normal bowel movements now and is also able to keep all his food down. My only complaint is that it really helps with feeding if you prepare the bottle about 20 minutes prior to feeding. Otherwise the rice in the formula does dissolve well and clogs the nipple.

• Ease of Preparation:

This is a great formula for babies that spit up a lot.

Comments about Enfamil A.R. Infant Formula:

This formula helped to greatly reduce my son's spit up. while he was on enfamil infant he spit up more than half of what he ate and was not gaining enough weight. now he is gaining perfectly and spitting up much less. he is now five months twenty pounds and a very happy and healthy baby.

My Choice Of Formula

Comments about Enfamil A.R. Infant Formula:

We were switched to Enfamil AR when our daughter had trouble with reflux. It really helped a lot with the reflux, and she thrived on it. She met or exceeded her milestones, and grew really well. She still had a little spitting up, but not like on regular formula. We tried regular formula and my daughter was constantly spitting up I had had enough of that and called her Dr. to see if there was anything we could do and they changed her formula to A.R. and gave me 2 free sample cans. My daughter still has a problem with spitting up and had to be put on medicine. We are using Wic and I was glad to find out that, Wic would supply a special formula such as Enfamil AR. Enfamil has a program that you can sign up for and they send you really good coupons, for quite a while. We will use the formula again for our future babies.

Ease of Preparation
    Just as easy as the other brands. No special mixing involved. Love it.