2.5

2.5

Pros

Cons

Emerson Microwave with Browner

I love this microwave! (Emerson model# MWG91155SL). It is an 1.2cu. in., 1100 watt power machine. It also has a browning unit on it and the size and the power is what I love the best. It does take up quite a bit of counter space, but it does so many things that I have missed not having a bigger microwave in quite awhile. Mine has perfourmed just as it says it does and then some. I have used the browning unit several times, with and without the rack that comes with it and it does brown quickly and easily for me. The manual on the other hand does leave a lot to desire, it doesn't give any detailed information about the microwave or any recipes, so if you're not experienced with one of these multi-units, you won't find it handy at all! I have used one simular to it about 25 years ago, as a matter of fact, my very first microwave had a lot of 'bells and whistles' on it as well, I guess since I learned to cook on one with a lot of extras, is why I can handle this one. It's size is spacious and it handles even my largest corning dish in there, which is one that I use the most to make casseroles in. It's quick to heat up since it is an 1100 watt unit, but on the other hand, you can't set the timer or the microwave to start and let it set, it does reset itself back to the clock. (I'm used to setting the timer and waiting for awhile before I hit the start button, but you can't do that on this unit). It's like any other microwave, it does have it's pros and cons, but I find that the pros to this unit out weight the cons that I might have about it.

This microwave is not exactly as advertized.

We specifically chose this microwave because it advertised that it grills and toasts as well as microwaves.  We were hoping to get rid of our toaster oven by choosing a microwave with a grill that claimed to toast.  We tried for a total of 8 minutes to get the thing to toast a slice of bread.  The bread ended up hard, stiff, and dried out, but not toasted.  My old toaster oven can make a piece of toast in less than two minutes.

The microwaving capabilities of this microwave are adequate.  It is more powerful than our last one, so everything warms up more quickly.  This microwave doesn't have a traditional numerical keypad for entering the time.  Instead you can hit quickstart, which we often do, to microwave for 30 seconds.  It's really quite convenient to just hit it twice if you want your food warmed up for one minute.  We have also used the defrost feature many times.

Overall it is a decent microwave.

I would never buy this again

from Sacramento, CA

About Me Casual Cook

Pros

• Easy To Install

Cons

• Unreliable
  • Unstable Tray

• Frozen Food
  • Leftovers

Comments about Emerson 1100 Watt 1.2 Cubic Feet Microwave Oven & Grill:

I have owned microwaves since they first came out. This model MWG9115SB worked fine until yesterday. I am a disabled senior citizen and I am also almost totally deaf. I cannot hear this microwave from upstairs. The most bizarre thing happened yesterday. I heated something for 2 minutes. I t ran the time and beeped. I took the item out and everything was fine. 5 hours later, I went downstairs and found the empty microwave RUNNING ON ITS OWN. The clock was working and showed the correct time. I had not set it to do anything. It did not have a countdown. I have no idea how long it was running. I just unplugged it. Since you cannot run the microwave empty, I am sure that it is ruined and 1 1/2 years after purchasing, I will have to now get a new microwave. This is absurd. I only get $909 per month to live on. I cannot afford another. This one is obviously defective and it cannot be the only one with this problem.

• Primary use:
  • Personal

Held up pretty well

Comments about Emerson 1100 Watt 1.2 Cubic Feet Microwave Oven & Grill:

I have had this microwave for a few years now. It has held up pretty well. We got it because we needed a new microwave and liked the idea of all the options it offered, including a grill option. It has an option to cook about anything you want in it. It hasn't given me any problems and has been a pretty durable microwave.

I use my several times a day, and have for a few years. I use it for anything from heating snacks, defrosting food, to heating up soup. I've even cooked bacon in it several times. It has held up well. The only concern I've had is lately it has been seeming to take a little longer to defrost frozen foods. It hasn't changed much in the amount of time it takes, but I have noticed a little difference. It definitely gets a workout here on a regular basis and has been able to keep up pretty well. I've been pleased with the way it has worked.

Settings/Features
I give it a 9 because it has a ton of different options. It's not your typical microwave. It has options for a grill, frozen pizza, frozen vegetables, meat, heating up a dinner plate and many more. I didn't give it a 10 only because if you don't keep your manual it can get kind of confusing as far as all the options you have and how to use the grill part of it. Other than that it has a lot more options than any other microwave I've ever had.

It is easy to clean as far as the bottom and the sides. The tray comes right out and can easily be washed. The only thing that makes it a little more difficult is the grill combo at the top. It doesn't come out so you have to bend down and reach up to the top to clean that part.

The basics are very simple to use, such as just regular use, defrost, and things like that. However, if you plan on using the grill combo or any of the other options that aren't on your typical microwave I would recommend keeping your owner's manual to insure you use it correctly. It can get pretty confusing.

I have had mine for 2 or 3 years now and have moved it all over my kitchen. It has been a trooper. It has held up great. None of us are exactly easy on it when we use it, but so far it hasn't shown any signs of wear. It's held up very well.

I love the design of it. The stainless steel and black look makes it look nice. It has the appearance of a high priced fancy microwave without the cost. The main button display that is for your basic use is displayed big enough so you don't have to search for what button you need every time you use it.

Horrible.

from Kansas

Comments about Emerson 1100 Watt 1.2 Cubic Feet Microwave Oven & Grill:

There are numerous problems with this microwave:

The grilling feature does not work
It takes insanely long to heat up food
It sparks for no reason

We have the Emerson 1100-Watt Microwave Oven & Grill in the office I work at. Luckily, we have a few microwaves so we are not stuck using this horrible appliance much. It is an ongoing joke in the office that we should have to do rock, paper, scissors, to see who get's stuck heating up their lunch with this microwave. The "grilling" feature of this microwave is completely useless because it does not work. It takes about double the amount of time it should to heat up food. For example heating up a frozen meal that says 3 minutes on the box usually ends up taking closer to seven! In addition, it randomly sparks! The first time it sparked, I thought I left some tin foil or something on my food when I unwrapped it. However, I checked and there was nothing. It has happened numerous times now! It doesn’t matter if I am heating up a frozen meal or left overs; it will just start sparking out of nowhere.

Do NOT get this microwave, it is just awful.

Grilling feature doesn't work. Takes double the time to cook food. Sparks.

Emerson MWG9115SB Microwave/Grill Combo

from Virginia

Comments about Emerson 1100 Watt 1.2 Cubic Feet Microwave Oven & Grill:

I'm so thrilled about my new Emerson Microwave. I think the idea of a grill incorporated inside a microwave is genus! So I've made a variety of foods in this microwave that normally wouldn't cook well in a regular microwave. Frozen pizza, toaster strudel, even french fries will come out crispy using the grill option. This is a 1100 watt microwave with a sleek black look with stainless steel trim. It has a very large area for cooking and a large round glass plate. It come with a stainless steel grill rack that needs to be used when grilling foods. I like the fact that I can cook foods all the way through while the grill cooks the top of the food to make it taste crispy. I can use the microwave or grill by itself or in combination in a 55% microwave + 45% grill option or 36% microwave + 64% grill option. Cooking has never been easier and I find that I'm looking for new foods to cook in my microwave. This combo microwave has made cooking fun again and I highly recommend it for those of us that are tired of eating rubbery foods out of the microwave.
Update: I am so very surprised by the negative reviews I am reading about this microwave! I am updating my review because I feel I must stress if you are buying this microwave brand new, there is a warranty. There is also 2 manuals that are included in the box. One is the full detailed manual then there is a quick start manual giving you the most common steps. I have had no issues with this microwave, the grill part is a plus in my household. I love that I can reheat leftovers and the food taste like it did the day that I cooked it. A basic microwave leaves food feeling rubbery but the combination of grill plus microwave leaves food tasting normal and crispy like it should! I have had this microwave for months now and I still stand behind it 100%.

This is a new purchase and has worked great cooking foods.
Update: The grill part does take a little longer than expected to grill foods but it does a wonderful job cooking and it is worth the wait.

Settings/Features
This microwave comes with a manual that I keep on hand because of the many features that I need to learn.

Very easy to wipe out inside the microwave and rinse the stainless steel grill and the glass plate off with warm soapy water.

There's so many features that I will need to memorize all of them. Very simple pressing buttons, the display screen displays the words out for example: beef, pork, pizza

High quality made product that I think will last for years.

Very great addition to any kitchen. A little on the large size but it's sleek looking and modern.

Emerson combo microwave oven

Comments about Emerson 1100 Watt 1.2 Cubic Feet Microwave Oven & Grill:

Nice looking microwave with extra features. I've never used the grilling features after purchasing; just never needed to. Overall, it's a nice microwave. Love the easy-to-use buttons on the face.

The microwave works great and is a perfect size for us. The only problem we had was the element on the top started sparking. Sometimes when we turned it on it would send sparks flying and we'd have to shut it off - and try again. Sometimes it would be fine, other times it wouldn't. The sparks were apparently caused by a ceramic piece that was holding the element in place. Once it had burned through and the ceramic piece broke in half I removed the piece and it works perfectly now. It's such a nice microwave that I've decided to keep it (since I never used the grilling accessory anyway). I'll keep it until it quits working.

Settings/Features
I think these features are easy to read, understand and use. I love the defrost button so you can set it to the portion size you want to defrost.

No problems cleaning this product whatsoever. Mild soap and water and it's done.

Easy as pie! Not so sure about the grilling feature as I never used it.

Basically a great microwave. Only problem was the ceramic piece holding up the element on the top. Otherwise, no problems.

Nice, clean looking and great size for us (family of two at this time). Vents are in a good place for ventilation. Love the streamlined look of this one.

Emerson Microwave Model: MWG9115SL Suffix D

Comments about Emerson 1100 Watt 1.2 Cubic Feet Microwave Oven & Grill:

The microwave developed a crack and surface covering peeled on the base under the dish. We have used it for heating meals approximately 18 months and have not used the browner/Grill. I don't know what the dangers are but would not recommend this type of microwave because of safety concerns.

Developed crack and covering peeled in base of microwave.

Was the damages caused by design defects?

• Settings/Features:

This is a microwave that is one step above the rest.

from New London, WI

Comments about Emerson 1100 Watt 1.2 Cubic Feet Microwave Oven & Grill:

I really like the convenience of this product. I am able to microwave as usual or add the grill. I can even do pizzas in the microwave that turn out great, with no worry of burning them.

Very good for me as I have no children in the house, but even though the the numbers for levels 1-6 automatically start for that amount of time, (which is very convenient) could prove to be a problem with small children.

Refurb lemon died after 2 mos. on 30 day warranty hid inside box

Comments about Emerson 1100 Watt 1.2 Cubic Feet Microwave Oven & Grill:

Our initial impression was positive except for discovering after opening the box that the warranty indicated on a sticker on the outside of the box was only good for thirty days. At that point I felt like returning it, but since it was already in place, the round trip was thirty miles with no a/c on a sweltering day and the salesgirl at Big Lots had said she had one just like it she had had over a year and loved, we decided to take a chance and keep it. Big mistake!

We liked how well it popped popcorn. I only used the grill feature once, but it worked well enough, even after the microwave and defrost settings stopped working.

Settings/Features
There are lots of extra features that are impressive, including a child lock safety setting. The manual is easy to follow, but the print and diagrams are so small a magnifying glass was needed for the unaided eye (even with good vision) to see clearly.

Very easy to clean.

• Settings/Features:

This Emerson Microwave is a great addition to our kitchen.

from Bakersfield, CA

Comments about Emerson 1100 Watt 1.2 Cubic Feet Microwave Oven & Grill:

We've used it for 2 years, now and it continues to work well. I was troubled because the plastic around the front facing (that you only see when the door is open,) cracked and broke off along the bottom.

It still works very well, after 2 years and food seems to cook according to suggested settings on packaging.

Settings/Features
I like the settings options and we use it to cook a variety of foods. Haven't used the temperature probe or rack, though.

cleaning is a little more difficult than in some microwaves because of an uneven interior surface, but it can be done with a minimum of effort most of the time. The turntable lifts out easily and is easy to clean.

It couldn't get much simpler than this.

As I mentioned earlier, the broken plastic piece in the front caused some concern, but other than that I would have to say that it is holding up just fine.

It is definitely not small or "space-saving" and doesn't allow for sitting close to the wall because of the plug sticking out.

• Settings/Features:

Again, I like it fine, but would love to have receipes

Comments about Emerson 1100 Watt 1.2 Cubic Feet Microwave Oven & Grill:

I like it, but would love to have a manuel that tells how it can be used. I didn't have what I call a manuel in it with directions. I realize that you plug it up and use it, but with a grill in it, I would love to have at least some receipes in it as well.