Other Living Room Furnitures:
Ekornes
Ekornes Stressless Chair

Ekornes Stressless Chair

Pros

• Comfortable (3)

• Reviewer Profile:
    • High-end shopper (5), Midrange shopper (3)
    • Personal (7)

Stressless-fits bodies natural posture

It appears to me that I may be the only person who has reviewed this type of chair. First of all, I would like to inform you that I have a bad back(scoliosis and osteoarthritis), and as of recently, was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. When sitting, I need good support, and I did not have a chair at home that was comfortable. I hurt alot. Sooo......One day a month ago, my husband(who is so caring) said to me "Why don't we go to some Furniture stores and look around).

What we found has to be the most comfortable chair on the planet of the earth! We both had heard of these chairs, but never put much thought into it. Here is what we have since found out:

* Made in Norway

* Ergonomically designed, reclining chair

* Automatically provides correct support for your head and lumbar area in all positions.

*Glide system: follows your bodies movements to provide perfect support and comfort

* Ajustable headrest and 360 degree swivel.

*Ottoman: moves with your legs for adjustable comfort

I think you get the point.     I LOVE IT!

Ekornes Stressless recliner - Save your money, do not purchase

We recently bought two of the recliners. We are so dissapointed with them. The purchased the highest quality of leather they offer. In just three months time, the leather started bunching up/streching in the upper back area and the seat area also. I have migraines and the chair really hurts my neck increasing the migraines. My husband is disabled with spinal damage so with both of our health issues, we were willing to pay the price for a quality chair. We noticed the problem within three months of delivery. We have spent a lot of time talking with the retailer and Ekornes Stressless rep . The retailer finally called and said the rep would be in the store and we could bring one in. We lived out of town from the store we bought them from but we took the chair in. The rep took pictures (we had already emailed pictures to the company). He was suppose to call us in two weeks. Is has been about two months now and guess what, no call. We called the retailer again and told them we still have not heard back. This company has the worst customer service! We expected so much more from them. Buyers beware, that is all I can say....

I LOVE my Stressless Chair

from Boston, MA

About Me Midrange Shopper

Pros

• Comfortable
  • Durable
  • Good Color Scheme
  • Solid Construction

Comments about Ekornes Stressless Chair:

I've had a Stressless recliner for 15 years and I sill LOVE it. I don' usually pay such money for furniture. This was an exception, and worth every penny. It's still as comfortable as the day we bought it. The only problem is that we haven't been able to spring for a second, so my wife and I have to share.

Don't waste your money

from Sandhurst.

About Me High-end Shopper

Pros

• Poor quality
      • Worthless warranty

Cons

• Appalling customer service
      • Poor quality materials

Comments about Ekornes Stressless Chair:

Poor quality leather treatment resulted in top coat coming away from base leather after only two months of light use. Erkornes not interested and did not honour their warranty. After a few more months use chairs are uncomfortable, look old and wrinkled and seat cushion filling has compressed thus very uncomfortable. We spent many thousands of pounds on two chairs and two sofas, a total waste of money. You can get far better quality furniture from a main stream retailer at significantly less cost.

Nevr Ekornes again

from Nethelands

Pros

Cons

• Unstable

• Informal

Comments about Ekornes Stressless Chair:

Five years ago we boughte a stressless jazz recliner. Very expensive. From the first day it has been the most expensive dust collectioner in our house. What a worthless chair. After ten minutes sitting in it my back starts hurting on alle places. I am glad that today the second hand service released us from this terrible piece of furniture. My advice: never spent a penny on Ekornes it is rubbish!

Worst purchase

from Holland

Comments about Ekornes Stressless Chair:

We spent A lot of money On a stressless chair. Very ugly but I have A bad back so my Wife agreed On spending So much money On that chair . Fact is that,from the first day the chair arrived neithernme nor my wife have been able to,sit comfortabel in it. Avoid stresssless most uncomfortable chair I,have ever sat in!

• Personal

Horrible warranty and the quality has gone way down.

from Daytona Beach, FL

About Me High-end Shopper

Pros

• Comfortable

Cons

• Breaks

Comments about Ekornes Stressless Chair:

We owned two recliners for 20 years and they were great chairs. When they finally started to give up on the support end of things, we bought two new recliners for over $3,000. Now, eight years later, they are falling apart. The springs have broken in the seat of one chair and the headrests are making popping sounds every time you recline. Called for warranty and got the runaround. They finally agreed to come and look at them and "waived" the $75 charge. Now they say "if" they get the parts from Ekornes they will install them for a fee and yet, undetermined. When asked if they could just supply the parts the answer was "NO" there must be a labor charge involved. I did not pay this much for a chair to be told that it is going to cost me some more when it fails. The warranty clearly cover all the parts that need replacing and I feel the labor should be included or the the parts should be supplied for consumer assembly. I have been in contact with Kalin Home Furnishings and with Ekornes in New Jersey as well as the original selling store which was LaDiff in Richmond VA and the answers are all vague and not very supportive. There is no fixing the seat as the foam is formed around the springs so it will be a new seat cushion which could be easily installed. The backs have the same issues and would not be hard to install. My advice is to not purchase these products as they are no longer the high quality they once were and are not warrantied at a level one would expect for the price.

Causes pelvic pain

from Ontario, Canada

Comments about Ekornes Stressless Chair:

I purchased my Ekornes Stressless Chair at the recommendation of a colleague for my office. I do psychotherapy and sit most hours of the day, and I had heard good things about these chairs. I was wrong. Within 6 months of purchasing my chair, I started to get horrible pelvic pain and after ruling out medical causes, discovered that the chair is responsible because of the horrible posture it puts me in, even when I shift positions. There is no lumbar support and the seat is on an incline, so my body in in a slightly curved position, meaning I am constantly pulling my pelvic floor muscles out of alignment. If I switch seats and sit upright and my spine and pelvis are supported, I am fine - but when I go back to my Ekornes chair, within the space of one client session I can feel my obturator internus muscle tighten and clamp up, which creates a host of gynecological and urinary discomfort and pain, not to mention the neuromuscular pain (pinching, burning, sore). I am thoroughly disappointed to have spent so much on this chair and be unable to use it. My clients get to, which is great, but it's an expensive gift to them. Save your money and get an exercise ball to sit on or one of those kneeling chairs if you spend many hours a day sitting.

• Business

Looks good very uncomfortable

from Boson ma

About Me High-end Shopper

Pros

• Looks good in showroom

Cons

• Uncomfortable

• Showroom window

I am 6 3 and my wife is 5 4. Neither of us can get comfortable
            In the love seat. Oh the color choices from Stressless need to be translated
            To English, for example light grey = white or cream, rock = grey.bad.

25 years old

from LI, NY

About Me Midrange Shopper

Pros

• Comfortable
            • Durable
            • Solid Construction

• Informal

Comments about Ekornes Stressless Chair:

I've had this recliner roughly 25 years but, don't recall the model. I'm awaiting an estimate to have it reupholstered but, have been researching the newer models. From my in-store experience you MUST test these chairs for your own personal use/comfort. I prefer a firm, snug fit and only the Magic & Memphis seem to fit this criteria BUT, the Memphis has been discontinued. Their models are ALL different and CANNOT be judged except by planting your keister in them. I wouldn't trust ANY return policy by any seller. They aren't cheap so, make sure you get the right one for you

Stressless Dream / Stressful Nightmare

Comments about Ekornes Stressless Chair:

Very disappointed with our stressless Dream recliners.
              Whilst the chairs are well made, look good and are made with superb leather,
              this is where it all goes wrong, the foam insides of our chairs lost its cushioning
              properties after about 18 months and became very uncomfortable to sit on for more than 15 - 20 minutes
              The structural foam which forms the frame of the chairs is good, but the soft foam on top of this just didn't last.
              You will need to replace the soft foam every few years at considerable cost.
              Very Very Very disappointed.

Looks good BUT not fit for purpose.

Comments about Ekornes Stressless Chair:

I have just bought a stressless office chair to replace a chair that had become worn and uncomfortable. The problem is the stressless office chair is totally uncomfortable and unless you have a hunched back it give no support. The claims made by the company are totally untrue in that I couldn't spend more than a half hour in it let alone all day. Overall it is an extremely overprice chair that should be nowhere near an office. My advice is don't buy one.