Other Dog Foods:

Earthborn Holistic Primitive Natural Grain-Free Dog Food

Pros

Cons

• Flavor Selection:

Good for one dog not so much for the other

Comments about Earthborn Holistic Primitive Natural Grain-Free Dog Food:

I have been feeding this for over a year. If I try to switch to non grain free, one dog starts with hot spots.
But, I have one dog that he does not have any problems with this food and the other dog get diarrhea. Sometimes the stool is just a little lose, but always lose. I am going to try to switch to the one with the bison. but overall I would say this is a great food for thee cost.

• Flavor Selection:

I like this dog food and so does my dog

from Kalamazoo, MI

Comments about Earthborn Holistic Primitive Natural Grain-Free Dog Food:

I have a large chihuahua (11 lbs) who is a fussy eater. Yes, I know it is all my fault, but the fact remains she is a fussy eater. She also has allergies which makes buying dog food a challenge. Any food with corn or wheat she develops lumps up and sore develop, so the search was on for something that she would eat without her getting sick and me having to take a loan out to feed her.

I received four samples of this dog food from the pet store. She was a little leery at first but the bites were small enough for her and the smell was apparently tasty enough for her to try. She likes it. They even have in a canned variety that I can mix in with her dry food.

They have several flavors

Quality of Ingredients
I showed these packages to my vet and she said that they would be great for Lily.

Flavor Selection
There are a variety of flavors from Ocean Fusion (White Fish, sweet potatoes, ground barley, ground rye, fish meal), Primitive Nature (Turkey meal, chicken meal, fish meal, and potatoes) to ones with any grains of any kind. Coastal Catch is one which contains herring meal, potatoes,. peas, eggs, salmon and things like that.

Earthborn Grain-Free Primitive is good food at a good price

from Denver, CO

Comments about Earthborn Holistic Primitive Natural Grain-Free Dog Food:

If you're considering grain-free dog food but don't want to spend a ton of money, Earthborn's Grain-Free line is a good place to start.

I stumbled upon this line at a specialty pet supply store and was very impressed at the quality for a reasonable price. If you've ever shopped for grain-free dog food, you know that the better ones can get to be quite expensive, but this one is very reasonable (lower than Taste of the Wild) with a nice selection of flavor options.

I rotate brands and flavors of food for my Golden Retrievers, so it's nice to have a reasonably priced option to balance out some of the more expensive brands that my dogs like. As an added bonus, the Earthborn company will even plant a tree for every UPC that is turned in, so it makes me feel even better about spending money on their products.

Quality of Ingredients
Primitive Natural includes turkey meal, chicken meal, and whitefish meal as the primary sources of protein. Potatoes are used as the carb source/binder - no corn, wheat, soy, rice or other grains. They add fruits and vegetables such as peas, blueberries, cranberries, carrots, spinach and apples along with the requisite vitamins and supplements to make the kibble a complete food.

Flavor Selection
Earthborn Grain-Free comes in four flavors - the Primitive Natural (Turkey/Chicken) plus Lamb, Bison and Fish options. My dogs love having the variety, although the Bison version does tend to "firm them up" a little more than the others.

• Flavor Selection:

Primitive Natural is a good food for a good price.

from Chino Hills, CA

Comments about Earthborn Holistic Primitive Natural Grain-Free Dog Food:

The price of this food is outstanding.  It's a grain free food.  The first 3 out of 5 ingredients is meat meals (which means more meat and less moisture.  The protein sources are basically: turkey, chicken, and whitefish.

The kibble is small.  I would personally call it a small bite formula.  (Great for little dogs.)  I haven't met a dog yet that doesn't love this food.  It must be incredibly tasty.

My main reason to cut a star from the rating is that the fifth ingredient is chicken fat.  (I think a guaranteed analysis of "not less than 20% crude fat" is too high.)

Earthborn Holistic Primitive Natural contains lots of fruits and vegetables, probiotics (for digestion), Omega 3 and Omega 6 (for healthy skin, coat, and to aid immune system).

The company has a UPC's for Trees program.  For every 1 UPC (from a 28 lb bag) that you send in, they will plant one tree.  (They have a UPC for Trees program for every size bag, except the trial size.)

This is a food my dogs eat on occasion, especially if they are getting a bit finicky about eating dry food.  I prefer feeding them other foods, but I would still recommend this food.  (Especially if you're on a budget.)