Other Vacuums:

Dyson DC28 Animal Vacuum

Pros

Cons

• Versatility:

The only vacuum I will ever buy again.

I have six cats.  It is a lot of work to keep my house looking and smelling clean with them.  I am very picky about keeping my house clean because I know that people jump to the conclusion that my house is dirty and smells like a litter box.  Before I purchased this vacuum, I actually had to use two different vaccums on my carpets.  One to suck up the litter and other particles and another that would pick up the hair.  When I used it for the first time, I vacuumed like I normally did and then I went back over it with my Dyson Animal.  I was shocked that with one pass of the vacuum, I saw fine dust and dirt particle start to fill the canister.  Kind of gross, at first, but a least they are not in my carpet anymore.  I also have long hair and was shocked when I looked and the rotating bristle and saw that it was just covered with my hair.  No other vacuum cleaner had ever picked up that much hair and my mother was a vacuum cleaner junkie.  She was always buying a new one every year or so, looking for the best.  This vacuum is the end all, be all.  The price is high at first but I would pay even more if I ever had to buy another.

Dyson Vacuum- Not what it's advertised to be!

I have had my Dyson vacuum for almost 3 years now.  I heard such wonderful things about it and when my Hoover Wind Tunnel died we emptied our pockets for the Dyson....Read complete review

I should have bought another Wind Tunnel.  The Dyson is heavier by quite a bit and the hose is not quite long enough to reach up my one flight of stairs.  Which means lugging it halfway up the stairs to complete the job.

It does well on carpets and hard floors, you just have switch the knob over.  The knob is tricky and often gets stuck.  I do notice that I have to go over areas of the carpet several times to get it to even look clean.  The Hoover would do it in one swipe.

The rotating brush gets easily clogged when vacuuming pet hair- makes me wonder why they call this vacuum the Animal??  I often have to turn it upside down and cut the hair away with scissors to get it to rotate again.

One good thing about the vacuum is how it breaks down into so many pieces.  It often clogs and this helps quickly locate and remove the clogs.  I know they say this vacuum "Never clogs!"  What a lie!  It clogs every time I use it.

I have 3 short hair cats and 2 short hair dogs.  None sit on furniture- so my house is probably less pet hairy than many.  If this vacuum can't keep up with my pets- it probably won't help with yours!

The hose is a nice feature- you have to completely pull out and detach the handle then flip it over and reattach the hose.  It's lengthy- but kind of stiff.  The handheld pet hair attachment has very weak suction and doesn't really get a strong enough pull to rotate the brush.  It's a worthless attachment in my opinion.

The floor tool is a nice addition however!  It's great for hardwoods, makes it easy to get under and around furniture and up to the edge of the wall.  It attaches to the hose- so it's like having a canister vacuum.

All in all- I can honestly recommend that you save your money and get a cheaper brand of vacuum.  This one is overpriced and overdesigned and does NOT perform as advertised.

Wonderful Vacuum!!!

Comments about Dyson DC28 Animal Vacuum:

I have had this Dyson DC28 Animal Vacuum for just over a year now and I cannot say enough good things about it. My only complaint is that the front is a little big and does not fit under furniture quite as nicely as I would like, but the overall performance and ease of use cannot be beat. One of my favorite features is the long twenty five foot cord. I can honestly vacuum my entire two thousand square foot house and only change the outlet I have the vacuum plugged in to once. It is wonderful!

Maneuverability
It is easy to move as long as you have the floor setting right. It can be a little difficult to move on carpet if you do no have the correct pile length set. Once you figure those out, it's a piece of cake.

Ease of Maintenance
Emptying the canister doesn't get any easier than with a dyson. It's literally no mess at all. I empty the canister after every time I clean. I never end up with any on my hands which is wonderful considering my old hoover used to leave me dirty.

Suction Performance
I was literally floored at how much more the dyson sucks out of my carpets than my old hoover did. The difference is amazing. I will never go back to a cheap vacuum.

As mentioned above, I wish the front was a little smaller to fit under furniture.

LOVE this vacuum!

Comments about Dyson DC28 Animal Vacuum:

We have two large dogs and a foster dog, it is amazing how much dog hair and dirt this vacuum picks up! We had used another vacuum when we brought this one home, we then ran this vacuum over the same area and it picked up so much more than our old one. With the ball feature, it is easy to use and gets in difficult places. the attachments are great and allow for many options. The only thing I do not like, is the ease of use with the stick part for the attachments, that is a little difficult to manage.

• Versatility:

The Dyson Animal Vacuum is one ruff, dog-catching device!

Comments about Dyson DC28 Animal Vacuum:

I have had my Dyson Animal Vacuum for almost 5 years and I still LOVE it! My daughters (all 3 of them) have learned to vacuum with this cleaner (and you know that means they run over everything from rubber bands and Barbie shoes to curtains still attached to the walls!) and it still sucks as good as the day I brought it home!

Maneuverability
My model is a bit chunky, but it makes up for it with attachments & power.

Ease of Maintenance
I love bagless machines, and this one is no exception. Dyson has taken great pains to make this a user friendly vacuum. Buttons, instructions & the order in which to do things is actually in raised print ON THE MACHINE! So easy to clean the filters & parts.

Two words: LOVE IT!

Versatility
I do wish that it was easier to use on stairs, but with 3 long-haired daughters & 3 dogs, I'll take the cleaning power any day.

It's as pretty as a vacuum can get, I guess.

5 years and still going strong! I love my Dyson Animal Vacuum!

Not impressed. At all.

from Southfield, MI

Comments about Dyson DC28 Animal Vacuum:

If this vacuum would have cost less I might have rated it higher, but for the price it should do at least some of what it claims. I honestly have no idea how they can call this a specialty vacuum for people with pets and charge extra for the specialty. Other than being purple rather than yellowish orange, it seems exactly the same as the regular Dyson model. There doesn't seem to be any real difference in the way it picks up a pet hair, nor is there any difference in the away long dog hair gets stuck in the rolling brush.

Maneuverability
This is fairly easy to maneuver, though not really much more so than some much cheaper brand's vacuums out there.

Ease of Maintenance
The collection cup seems rather small for a large vacuum, though it is easy to empty. Dog hair gets wrapped around the rolling brush and needs to be cut out. For a pet hair model I think that's pretty unacceptable.

Suction Performance
I do not feel that this has even half of the suction that the commercials claim. The suction is really the worst on any vacuum that I've ever used.

The purple color is nice. That's about it.

• Versatility:

Same performance as my shark

Comments about Dyson DC28 Animal Vacuum:

With three kids and two dogs I needed a miracle vacuum, and for the high price I thought I would get close, but no. Don't get me wrong it is a decent vacuum, but truthfully it performs about the same as my shark. It is also quite a bit heavier and harder to get up and down stairs. It does have a good suction, but a tad difficult to maneuver. I think it is a little high priced for the performance.

Best vacuum!

Comments about Dyson DC28 Animal Vacuum:

I bought this vacuum when it went on sale during black Friday last year. If you have pets this vacuum is for you! If you don't have pets, it works great for allergies also. It picks up much more than any vacuum I'd ever owned. The attachments make it easy to clean pet hair off furniture, and the removable handle makes cleaning steps super easy, and it's great for cleaning cobwebs off the ceiling. Also, the attachments make it easy to clean under furniture.

Maneuverability
Very easy to manuever, and the attachments make it easy to clean under the furniture. The very long extendable handle makes cleaning the steps easy because you don't have to carry it up each step.

Ease of Maintenance
I've had the vacuum for a year now and I have not had any issues with anything. Also, there is a 10 year warranty so if something does go wrong it's fixable ( the warranty is so good retailers don't even offer protections plans on it!)

Suction Performance
Suction is awesome! I've def had to empty this vacuum a lot more than any other vacuum I've ever owned!

This Dyson IS an Animal!

Comments about Dyson DC28 Animal Vacuum:

Ever since Dyson first came on the cleaning scene I've been wanting one. When this first Dyson Animal came out, we waited a year to get it. Actually, my husband surprised me by buying me one. At the time, we had 2 dogs and 2 cats, plus, our soil outside has a lot of sand in it. I was so excited, though, part of me was guilty he spent so much money on it. I don't feel guilty any more though, this vacuum has paid for itself in no time!

We have had this Dyson for several years now and it still sucks up grime without any difficulties. The amount of dirt it catches from our carpets and hardwood floors is incredible. The maneuverability of the machine itself is not bad, though, I do wish the ball had been invented at the same time as the Dyson Animal. Getting around furniture can be a challenge, but I've gotten to know the machine and knowing it's limitations gets us moving pretty easily. You have to step on the floor part to get it to disengage from the handle to vacuum and that can be trying at times.

The filter that came with the Dyson is the same filter, we've not had to change it out at all (we've had this one for 3 or 4 years now) and is super easy to get to and to clean.

The attachments are great. I use them all the time to clean my couches which are done in a microfiber material and grabs the hair and such easily, making cleaning the couches a breeze. I do wish the hose was longer to make it a little bit easier to vacuum our stairs, but again, I manage it.

Being bagless is awesome! It is super easy to empty the canister, plus, we wash our canister after a few vacuumings so it does not smell and gets rid of smaller dust particles. The filter, as mentioned above, is also super easy to clean and get to. My husband will take an air hose to the unit itself every so often, getting rid of smaller dust particles, just helps in keeping the machine clean and running smoothly. No problems have we had with this machine yet!

We still have two cats and sand outside. There is less hair to pick up since the cats don't shed much, but I'd not trade this vacuum for any other. If/when this vacuum meets it's end, I'd gladly get another Dyson vacuum!

Maneuverability
A little tough getting around furniture.

Ease of Maintenance
So easy to clean, no mess, no extra bags to buy.

Suction Performance
Never had a machine that worked so good!

• Versatility:

This works great in my house

Comments about Dyson DC28 Animal Vacuum:

I have used every attachment that came with my Dyson to clean my house. I like how the wand can extend to reach the corners of the ceiling or the crumbs under the table.

Maneuverability
This glides around with ease. It is a heavier, so can be a little more difficult to use on a staircase.

Ease of Maintenance
I recently had something get lodged in the elbow from the hose to the canister. It was so easy to fix the problem myself. That mean no expensive repair fee.

Suction Performance
I have not lost suction but it can get a little weak when the canister gets full. I also get build up on the inside. I do have to get my hands dirty cleaning the inside.

Versatility
I use my vacuum for the carpet and tile floors. The beater bar doesn't rotate when the hose is in use, and that is how I tore up my last vacuum's electrical cord.

It is easy to clean the canister. I push a button to release the tank and another to empty the canister. I also like that the filter can be cleaned in my sink and air dried, no replacements needed. I like the long cord.

Love Dysons

from New Bedford, MA

Comments about Dyson DC28 Animal Vacuum:

This was our first Dyson. We have 2 dogs and 2 young children, so our house is always in need of a vacuum. The Dyson works great and picks up hair and things that I didn't even seen on the floor. My only complaint about this vacuum is that it is a bit heavy, it would be a higher rating if it were lighter and easier to maneuver around. We are definitely Dyson for life users.

Great but loud!

Comments about Dyson DC28 Animal Vacuum:

I received this as a Valentine's day gift from my husband. I love that it cleans my carpets and bare floors so well. It is easy to use and very user friendly. When you get it out of the box, it does need some assembling, bu t it was easy.
The fun part was vacuuming with my old vacuum prior to using my new dyson. It was disgusting how much dirt and junk it actually got up after I vacuumed. I was shocked.
When you empty the canister, there is button to push to get the dirt and debris out. I typically wipe it out with a dry or slightly damp rag after, but that is just me.
The hose is nice. Never does it kink, no holes in it, and no clogs. The handle is the hose. You push the plastic piece up, pull the hose out and unattach the handle to extend your reach if you want. The attachment hooks to the top, and they all snap on and snap where they go back on the vacuum.
The cord is nice and feels sturdy. The design is really nice. After a while of owning it, I have noticed that it has gotten louder, but not enough to complain. I love it!