Other Vacuums:

Dyson DC17 Animal Cyclone Vacuum

Pros

Cons

• Versatility:

Won't ever buy another brand!

I wont ever get a different brand of vacuum. My mother had used all sorts of vacuums growing up and they all stunk...literally. This vacuum makes the air smell so clean after. The hepa filter is absolutly amazing. I just got a house and have two cats. I can't imagine living without this vacuum. After we bought it, I brought it over to my mothers house so she could try it. She couldnt believe what it had sucked up.

When I ran it, I thought that the company had just filled the tubes with dirt so when you started the vacuum you saw a ton of dirt. NOPE, holy smokes the DC 17 sucked up so much right after I had just vacuumed with our old one.

I am telling you, it is expensive but it is more worth it than anything you could ever buy. It is a must own for all pet owners and anyone with alergies.

P.S. its so awesome, my father bought my mother one for christmas. She hasnt stopped using it and she hates vacuuming.

Just seeing how much dirt and hair there is every time makes it fun.

Works okay, not as good as they say

Well I ordered the dyson because i have multiple animals, its called the dyson animal.  Mine is purple.  We just moved in with my father in law who lives in a 200 year old house.  We have 4 dogs and 3 cats.  we have replaced all carpets upstairs(so they are new).  My dyson gets clogged every time.  I have to go threw all the hoses and empty them because it gets clogged.  It may, in all fairness, be because of the new carpets but this vaccum is suppose to be the ultimate in suction.  So why even if the canister is empty does it clog???/  Your guess is as good as mine.  I HATE the wand that is with it.  first of all its not long enough.  Its a pain to get out and put back as the metal part of the wand slides into the hose and lots of time it gets stuck if your in a hurry and dont notice it kinked.  I do like the fact that it has a filter that you just wash and dry for 12 hours.  Although if you for get to check it and you are in the middle of vaccuming and the filter is clogged you do have to stop and wait the 12 hours.  It wont work at all if you dont???  It is also very very heavy to carry up and down the stairs.  However when clean and in working order it sucks well and has power i just dont think its as much as they say.  And the "no clog" thing they always advertise, not so!!  I dont think i would buy another.  Oh I went from a really Heavy kirby to this one, It beats the kirby by TONS!!!

Outstanding.

from Goodells, MI

Comments about Dyson DC17 Animal Cyclone Vacuum:

This vacuum just keeps on working. There are mulitple areas to clear out debris and the filter needs to be cleaned occasionally. The filter could be made more aware of for future models. I've had to point it out to two people who had no idea there was one there. We put it through lots of high-traffic areas and as long as it's regularly emptied, it works perfect.

Dyson DC17 is an amazing vacuum

from Pierceton, IN

Comments about Dyson DC17 Animal Cyclone Vacuum:

I was shopping around for a good pet hair vacuum and I had heard that Dyson vacuums were excellent. I own a chocolate lab so hair is an issue in our house and I wanted something that did a good job removing all the hair. After a lot of researching, I decided to take the plunge and purchase one. As soon as I received the Vacuum in the mail, I was anxious to put it to the test. With no exaggeration, the canister was completely full by the time I had vacuumed the house. I was amazed at how much hair our previous vacuum had missed. I knew it wasn't due to poor housekeeping since I vacuum every day, but I was sure that I had purchased an A plus vacuum! I have owned my Dyson for almost 3 years now and I still love it! I would recommend this vacuum to anyone, even if you don't own a pet.

Suction Performance
Make sure you are cleaning out the filter regularly and replacing it every so often. The vacuum will lose it's suction power when it gets too dirty.

I have had it for 4 years and it still works great!

• Versatility:

Cleans the first time every time

from LAS VEGAS, NV

Comments about Dyson DC17 Animal Cyclone Vacuum:

Words can not say enough about this vacuum. I love it. It is the best a mom or anyone could ever have in their house. It cleans so well the first time. It is easy to use and light weight. I am a small person so lifting something heavy would not be ideal for me. I can easily vacuum the stairs with it which is a pain but it does it so eaisly. I have had other vacuums and they just don't compare to the Dyson. It is well worth your money. I do know it is expensive but I have found nothing to work as well as it does. I love how it is easy to access your attachment's too. This vacuum picks up everything. You can see it in the canister. The canister is very easy to empty which I love this feature. I like how you can change it to bare floors. I feel the vacuum picks up more dirt on the hard floor than a broom would. I use this all over my whole house. My house is 2400sq ft and this vacuum cleans it well. We have only had it for a year but it works like we just bought it and it is right out of the box. I wouldn't recommend anything else. It is the best vacuum out there and well worth every penny.

• Versatility:

Wow! I know why everyone recommends Dyson!

from North of L.A., CA

Comments about Dyson DC17 Animal Cyclone Vacuum:

I first got started on Viewpoints.com when I was recently in the market for a vacuum cleaner. I had long wanted a Dyson, but was afraid that they may not be worth the price.  I stumbled onto a sale online, then checked directly on the Dyson site and found that my deal was better, especially when you considered there was no shipping nor sales tax to pay!  I searched for reviews of the product to make SURE that I wasn't just being over-zealous in jumping at the sale price.  After reading reviews of several models of Dyson vacuum cleaners on different sites, including Viewpointes.com, I decided that it was definately worth finally 'pulling the trigger' and getting a Dyson.  I am SO glad I did!  This vacuum cleaner is great for all flooring surfaces and works on my VERY long, steep staircase, picks up both my long hair and my cat's hair without getting over worked, and is light and easy to use. The ball technology cannot be oversold, it is a GREAT feature!

Dyson DC17 is great for a variety of floors

from Whiteland, IN

Comments about Dyson DC17 Animal Cyclone Vacuum:

I really like this vacuum. It's great that I don't have to worry about buying bags or finding a spot in the closet to store them. I just take the tank outside to the trash can, push the button, and empty the container. I also like that I can go from my carpeting to my laminate flooring with just the push of a button. I don't have to buy (and store) two vacuums. It also makes cleaning quicker since I can just push the button instead of having to get out another appliance.

The attachments store on board, so I won't lose them or have to find a place in the closet to store them. However, I don't like that the pole is so long and rigid. While it's great for ceilings and floors, the rigid poles makes vacuuming upholstery a bit more difficult.

Maneuverability
Most of my furniture is easily moved, so this vacuum works well for me.

Ease of Maintenance
I love that I don't have to worry about bags. My husband only has to spend about 15 minutes once or twice a year to clean it.

Suction Performance
I've never had issues here. When I notice a loss of suction, I just empty the bin.

Versatility
I use this on my carpet and my laminate flooring. The attachments work great, too. I like being able to use the long handle to get the ceiling fans, lights, etc. or the hose to do the sofa and other upholstery.

I love the color.

This has been banged around out in the garage while my husband cleans the vehicles. It still keeps going.

Amazing Animal

from Warrensburg, MO

Comments about Dyson DC17 Animal Cyclone Vacuum:

This vacuum is ridiculously amazing. I have only had it for about a year, and I don't think I can ever go back to any other vacuum. It was very simple to set up right out of the box. We have a pretty old carpet and a dog that sheds. For some reason our old vacuum can't get the dog hair out of the carpet at all. But with this-it is no match for the dog hair or our carpet. I also love that it goes from carpet to floor with no problem. I hate having a broom or a separate vac for the hard floors. Not to mention half the stuff you vacuum up gets spit back out with the other sweepers. But this pics up anything and everything in it's path. I forgot to mention we got the smaller version, so it's very lightweight and super easy to manuever. I haven't had a bag vacuum in about 8 years, so the bagless part didn't really factor in for me. Although it is pricey, the things it can do and the durability make it well worth the investment.

Suction Performance
Sometimes the hose stops sucking then starts sucking again in the middle of use. It's weird.

• Versatility:

Much more of a pain than a help

from Longmont, CO

Comments about Dyson DC17 Animal Cyclone Vacuum:

The Dyson Animal vacuum came highly recommended to me by many friends so when my husband and I needed a new vacuum, we purchased one.  I was instantly frustrated by the lack of written instructions, the pictures were not as self-explanatory as Dyson thought.  We have 2 dogs and 2 cats so we definitely needed a vacuum that could handle pet hair.  Unfortunately, this vacuum doesn't handle long pet hair well at all.  It just winds it up on the brushhead until you have to clean it off which is a dirty and time-consuming job that I have to do every single time I vacuum my 3,000 sq. ft. home.  Buying Furminators for the cats and dogs is the only thing that has made vacuuming a bearable chore.  Washing out the dirt bin and the filters and waiting at least 24 hours for them to dry is another very annoying aspect of the machine, I'm not sure it's better than changing vacuum bags all the time.  The wand for using the attachments is extremely awkward to use so I rarely use it.  The machine is so cumbersome for trying to vacuum the stairs that I've just started leaving that job to my husband until we can afford a different vacuum for the stairs.  It's self-adjustment for carpet height is way too low for our carpets.  Other than the excellent suction and one handed emptying of the dirt cup, there really isn't anything I like about this machine after having used it for a year now.

Not the best vacuum....

from Pickens, SC

Comments about Dyson DC17 Animal Cyclone Vacuum:

When we first purchased this vacuum about 1 1/2 years ago I would have rated it 5 stars. The suction was so strong that you had to avoid the edges of throw rugs or it would just suck them up. But over time the suction has diminished greatly and now it is only adequate at best. We have disassembled the base to see if something was jammed but everything appears fine - it just doesn't pick up well anymore.

On the pro side, the vacuum glides easily, it is easy to empty the debris collected, it is relatively quiet and it has quite a long cord.

Other than the suction, the primary con is that the handheld tool option is cumbersome and difficult to use. When I need a hand vacuum, I generally just go get my Dustbuster rather than mess with the Dyson.

We have 2 dogs and lots of pet hair, so a really strong vacuum is a must - and this isn't it. My recommendation is to keep looking.

• Versatility:

The Dyson DC17 Animal Vacuum is amazing!

from Ogden, UT

Comments about Dyson DC17 Animal Cyclone Vacuum:

We had our first baby three and a half years ago.  When he started crawling, I started to notice how horrible our vacuum was, and how it really wasn't cleaning the carpet as much as I would like.  We have a dog but she doesn't shed, the one who actually shes is me!  There was long dark hair everywhere on the carpet, because our vacuum just wasn't picking it up.  We researched, and researched, and asked around.  The Dyson DC17 animal vacuum was more of a compromise, and an investment as well.  I pretty much gave my husband an ultimatum and told him we either needed to replace our carpet with wood flooring, or we needed to buy the Dyson DC17!  We are so glad we bought this vacuum!  It really picks up every little hair and every little speck of dirt!  I love it so much I told everyone I know about it!  My father in law had a shedding dog at the time, and decided to buy it as well!  He is very happy with his purchase and so are we!

No more sneezing

from Austin, TX

Comments about Dyson DC17 Animal Cyclone Vacuum:

After our allergies raged from all the long hair of our big, beautiful Collie my husband surprised me with a gift of a new Dyson DC17 Animal Bagless Upright Cyclonic Vacuum. At first I was concerned that the cost of this vacuum was quite a bit and that it would not be much different than other vacuums we had. But I was wrong. The** **Dyson DC17 Animal Bagless Upright Cyclonic Vacuum works exceptionally well and is so easy to guide and get around furniture and such. I was amazed that it worked so well on the carpeting on the steps as they are difficult to get into the nooks and crannies, but not so with this vacuum. The suction is incredible and I found that I did not have to vacuum as often with this vacuum as I have had to in the past with other vacuums. I also love the fact that it is bagless and with all the dog hair I do not have to worry about a bag getting too full and then hair backing up in the vacuum.