Other Vacuums:

Dyson DC17 All-Floors Vacuum

Pros

Cons

Powerful Sucker!!

The first time I used a friend's Dyson I was blown away by how much it actually picked up. I was convinced and bought myself a DC17 all floors vacuum that came with all these neat accessories. I've had it for over five years now, and its cleaning just as powerfully as it did when I first got it.

Maneuverability
The DC17 is the old school style and basically pushes back and forth, it does not have that fancy swiveling head capability.

Ease of Maintenance
I love the bagless component, you just lift the canister out and dump the contents. You click it back in place. The air filter is easy to get to, and just pops out. I just rinse mine under the sink, let it dry overnight and then you're good in a day or so. I've never had major issues. Hair gets stuck all the time in the vacuum roller thing, and you just cut it out. Its annoying but at least you know its picking up everything.

Suction Performance
This vacuum sucks up almost everything; coins, toys, cloth, pebbles,etc. You may have to go back and forth over larger items to make sure its under the head, but its awesome. A little disgusting how much dirt gets sucked up after a few days since the last vacuuming.

Versatility
This model comes with various attachments and accessories, but then you have to pull out the handle, flip it around, and attach. Then the sucking power is so strong, its a little nuisance to drag the vacuum to where you're working on the small jobs because the suction pulls the vacuum into you. It has a switch to go from floors to carpet, but I usually just leave it on carpet and it still sweeps up my kitchen floor pretty well.

I probably would get a different version if I could choose. This one is powerful, but quite heavy to push. It sucks up most everything, but the attachments are a little annoying to put on and off.

The only reason I'm giving it an eight is because I've knocked over my dyson a few times and plastic has broken off in various places. It seems like it would have been made of more durable plastic connecting the canister to the main part, but it broke. It will still click together when I shove it really hard, but oh well.

Great vacuum with one little problem

Love love how this vacuum sucks up everything with ease. It is the best vacuum I have owned, but I couldn't give it a perfect score because it doesn't fit under my cabinets. What a disappointment. I clean my kitchen floor, and then I have to get out the attachment to get under the cabinets. I don't mind using the attachment, but that's another issue, it's not the easiest attachment I have ever worked with. So I would just like to vacuum and get under the cabinets and put it back in the closet. Should have did more research and got the Dyson with the thinner cleaning head.

Maneuverability
It's easy to maneuver for me. I will say when I let my kids use it, they complain that it is too heavy. So I am mostly the mom behind the vacuum. But it gets around things fine. I think I maybe convinced to get the Dyson with the ball. I have heard from friends that model has the best maneuverability.

Ease of Maintenance
Love that there isn't a bag. All I do is wait for it to fill up, which isn't hard in my house. The canister is clear, so you can see through it to see the dirt level. Then I empty with one easy button. It's great. I had another no bag vacuum that I had to stick my hand in the canister to get everything out. It was gross! Dyson is much easier to empty.

Suction Performance
Great suction. I have to say that is the main reason I bought this vacuum in the first place. So when I got it home and tried it out, it really lives up to all the reviews, and stories I had heard.

I do think the design is a little flawed. I don't care for the way the attachments together. I use the attachment features, but my husband will not. He hates the way everything goes together and then it feels like you still can't get around the things you need to. I also think the head of the vacuum could be thinner. The fact that it doesn't fit under my cabinets it the biggest complaint.

So far so good. Now I would think a vacuum at this price should last many years. We will see if that is the case. I have only had it for a couple and it works great.

Not My Favorite Vacuum

from Myrtle Beach, SC

Comments about Dyson DC17 All-Floors Vacuum:

I used one of these today and I was not impressed. While it is a powerful vacuum, it is very bulky and heavy. I was not able to get under the furniture or in the corners as easy as I was expecting. Dyson built in attachments, however, I don't feel it is very user friendly. The attachments are connected to the handle and very difficult to connect. It was heavy to carry as I vacuumed the stairs, making me think that it would be even more difficult for an elderly person to use.

I will say that I used the vacuum on all surfaces such as carpet, tile, and hardwood and it was very powerful leaving the floor clean. I also like the fact that the cord is extremely long so it did cut my time in half without having to keep unplugging. I also like the easy clean up and bag less container making it much better for allergies.

After using this vacuum today, I feel just as comfortable with my vacuum with the same comparisons but more economical to purchase. My biggest suggestion would be to try it before you invest.

over 5 years and still going strong

Comments about Dyson DC17 All-Floors Vacuum:

When I first went to look for a vacuum I was very hesitant to spend the amount of money on a Dyson vacuum that they were asking. I am so happy I relented and bought it. It is worth every penny spent.

Maneuverability
As far as maneuverability, it is not the best. This design is basic I guess, only going forward and back. It also has the extendable hose for reaching the hard to reach areas.

Ease of Maintenance
I've had no problem keeping up with this vacuum. It is easy to empty, and easy to take apart to clean the filters, and the bottom wheel.

Suction Performance
The Dyson is just incredible. It hasn't lost suction in all the years I have owned it. We have three dogs and a cat, and do not have to keep running over the same areas more then one time.

Versatility
The Dyson is very versatile. It works just as good no matter what type of flooring. I use it on my carpets, hardwood, and laminate floors.

I love the design of my Dyson, but part of me hopes it dies soon so I can get one of the newer models. I'm not going to hurry it along, but look forward to it.

It's been more then five years, and I've had minimal issues with my Dyson.

• Versatility:

Best vacuum I have ever owned!

from Atlanta, GA

Comments about Dyson DC17 All-Floors Vacuum:

The Dyson all floors is EXCELLENT! Not only does it clean my rugs, but I can also use it on my bare floors without worrying about scratches!

Maneuverability
The Dyson All floors allows me easily maneuver it. It rolls across the floor with ease and quickness. It is lightweight therefore allowing me the ability to turn corners faster.

Ease of Maintenance
Dyson all floors is easy to clean and requires low maintenance.

Suction Performance
The suction performance of the Dyson all floors is powerful and quick.

Versatility
The Dyson all floors is great for all dusting needs. It's long handle allows me to use it for "dusting" my curtains, blinds, sofas, ceiling fans and even stairs. The versatility of my Dyson saves me time and energy.

The design is great, just wish it was even smaller. Other than that, I wouldn't change a thing about the design.

I find the durability of my Dyson a money saver. Unlike the other vacuums I have had which have died out in one years time, the fact is that Dyson has lasted me over 5 years has saved me money since we have not had to purchase another one.

• Versatility:

Good vacumn but it seems a little awkward to use

from Peoria, AZ

Comments about Dyson DC17 All-Floors Vacuum:

Overall this is a good machine and I feel it was a good buy.

Maneuverability
The machine does a great job of cleaning on carpet and easily switches to hard floor surfaces, However for some reason the machine itself seems stiff and somewhat awkward. I am hoping this is temporary, but I think it is the design of the machine. Switching to the tools is somewhat of a challenge.

Ease of Maintenance
I am not sold on having to empty the dirt cup on the machine each time that I use it. The good news is the cup is clear so I am reminded to do it and logic tell me that it is a lot more sanitary to dispose of the dirt each time rather than having it sit around. I miss the retractable cord that I had on the old machine however the light on the front of the machine is so worthwhile.

Suction Performance
This machine gets a ten for suction performance. I had no idea that my old machine was not picking up like it did when it was new. If this machine last as long as the old one did I will have it made. The tools seem to be just the right ones and are stored on the machine itself so they are ready to use in a second and they are easy to change.

Versatility
The tools are a real plus and I find that I am using them on something any time that I have the machine out. . The cord doesn't rewind automatically and to me that is a negative but I do like that the cord is long enough that I don't seem to have to move it as often as I did with the old machine.

The machine takes less storage space than the old machine and is light enough that it is easy to lift and move about. I really haven't got use to the way you turn it on and off yet but I have only used the machine a couple of times.

The machine seems well built and I expect it to last. I do empty the dirt cup each time I use the machine and wipe it out. I really don't see much to go wrong with the machine and I feel it was a good value for the money.

I LOVE my Dyson DC17!!!!

from Chatom, AL

Comments about Dyson DC17 All-Floors Vacuum:

I have owned many vacuum cleaners before but this is by far this best I have ever owned. It picks up the ground in dirt, not just the top layer, and by just switching it from carpet to tile, it picks up everything, bugs, spiders, roaches, food, whatever is in the floor.

Maneuverability
Very easy to manever around the furniture. Of course you do have to move your chairs and bar stools and things like that to under them. They do make a smaller one that will get under everything.

Ease of Maintenance
Very easy to empty the container. No bags to buy and replace. Just release a button and dump the contents out. No mess. Saves you money on the bags. Every once in a while we have to wash the filter but that's maybe once, sometimes twice a year. Very easy to wash and let it dry and stick it back in.

Suction Performance
Super power suction. The linoliem (sp) in our kitchen is not glued down all the way and it will pick it up off the floor as well as the rug in our living area so I know it is getting the dirt that is deep down in the rug.

Versatility
It could be better as far as getting around big things like under the bed but like I said they make Dyson's for that. I just use a dust mop for that. It can't do everything for you. Wish it could. LOL!!!

I like the design. I think it was made for the most suction of any vacuum cleaner. It handles well. I am disabled so I don't have any trouble using it. The on/off switch is in a good location and you just use your foot to push it down to start doing it's job.

Very durable. I've had mine about 5 years. Never had any problems with it at all. I bought my son one for Christmas 2 years ago and he loves his and hasn't had any problems with it.

The power says it all.

from Elko, Nevada

Comments about Dyson DC17 All-Floors Vacuum:

I have spent so much money over the years on new vacuums because well lets face it, after a few months of sucking things up off the floor and getting used, they lose a lot of their suction, and you are back to having to go over your floor fifteen times just to pick most of the dirt and animal hair up. We decided it would be worth it to try out a dyson after my mother bought one and raved about how amazing it was. We did a lot of research and decided on this model as we did not have too many other options at our local store. We have a lot of pets plus five kids so we use a vacuum at least once a day, but many times it is more than that to pick up all of the dirt and messes that they bring in. This vacuum is not cheap and will cost your pocketbook a pretty penny, but for the money that I spent on it, I could not be any happier with how often I had to replace a cheaper vacuum that did not get my house as clean. The suction power on this machine is amazing, it gets everything the first time you go over it and the attachments also work so well and the suction is there as well. I love that it is bag less, it is easy to dump out and put back into the vacuum, and also easy to clean up the bucket every now and then when it gets really dirty. We use this vacuum so much and it has lasted us a few years now, and it still works just as good today as it did the first day that we bought it, dysons really are worth the price that you spend on them.

Great vacuum!

Comments about Dyson DC17 All-Floors Vacuum:

I bought the Dyson DC17 All-Floors Vacuum because I wanted a lightweight, easy to use vacuum cleaner. I absolutely love the vacuum! There is an adapter nozzle for every nook and cranny imaginable, and the force of suction is the best I’ve ever had in any vacuum. The vacuum is very forgiving, I’ve sucked up coins and bobby pins by mistake and the vacuum handles it with a breeze! I’ve had this vacuum for several years and don’t see any need in replacing it!

Powerful Sucker!!

• Versatility:

Great Vacuum and worth the price!

Comments about Dyson DC17 All-Floors Vacuum:

I have two dogs and these dogs manage to shed year round! I vacuum almost every day. This constant vacuuming quickly burns motors out of vacuums! I decided that it was time to invest in a really good vacuum. After reading all of the reviews, I decided to go with Dyson and I'm glad that I did. The DC17 model met my needs a more. It has a cool, sleek modern look that was not only attractive but functional. My storage closet is tiny and the Dyson slides right in! Another favorable design quality for me was the canister that contained the dirt residue as opposed to the bags. Emptying the canister is much easier and I feel that it's better for the environment that having another bag to put in a landfill. Not only the environmental benefit of being bagless but also the benefit to your wallet as I no longer have to buy refill bags. That is a big savings with how much fur I vacuum up over the course of a year. So, how effective is the DC17? VERY! The suction on this baby is downright amazing! I find myself vacuuming less because I'm getting more picked up when I do vacuum. It's amazing. I never considered that my investment would be a time saver too. The vacuum manuever exceptionally well and the attachments work great. Probably the only negative and it's not too bad but the head on the vacuum is a little shorter than my old vacuum so I can't get quite as deep under things as I could before and that's a bit disappointing. I wouldn't go back but it's worth the mention. This is definitely a great product and has held up extremely well for me!

• Versatility:

Dyson is the best name in cleaning

Comments about Dyson DC17 All-Floors Vacuum:

I have been waiting for my old vacuum to die and saving because I specifically wanted to buy a Dyson. They are such a well respected company and I have used my mom's Dyson before and just loved it. So, when I bought my Dyson I was so excited to use it I did my carpets the same day I got them home. Now, we had just a few weeks ago had our carpets shampooed, so I figured they would be pretty clean and I would just be sucking up a week's worth of dust / dirt, wow! I was wrong! I can honestly say that the steam cleaning my carpets may have gotten rid of most of the surface dirt and stains, but the Dyson DC17 sucked up most or all of the dirt that was hiding below the surface of my carpets, it was like a horror film to see "What Was Left Down Below" LOL. I could not believe how much dust and dirt it was picking up after having them shampooed, it was nuts! The bin filled up pretty fast, so I went over the same area of rug and I was still picking up very dust and dirt, this time a lot less, thankfully. But imagine how long that dirt must have been there? Yuck! Now I feel like when my Dyson isn't sucking up dirt, that my carpets are actually clean. This is a great vacuum. I think Dyson is DEFINITLEY worth paying the extra money for.

Versatility
So, I realize that vacuums are (in general) larger machines, but boy is this thing is heavy! I definitely would not recommend vacuuming the stairs with this machine while it is on the top stair, if you accidentally pull this vacuum down the staircase behind you, there would be quite a bit of damage and even injury to yourself. I also find it too heavy to drag up step by step, so that makes it a bit less versatile for me. The "quick-draw" expandable hose is a really great idea, I think. I find it to be pretty flexible and easy to use for those cracks and crevices in my wood floors or the corners of the room . It's easy to expand and put back.

Easy to empty bin, nice accessories, easy to use