Other Space Heaters:
Duraflame
DFS-550BLK
DuraFlame DFS-550-6 (Stove style)

DuraFlame DFS-550-6 (Stove style)

Pros

Cons

• Safety:

Duraflame DFS-550-6: Best heater for the money!

We purchased this heater at Lowe's.  It is the smaller of the DuraFlame stove style electric heaters.  Our central unit is out.  This heater is very impressive!  I had doubts when I read the watt/output, but it's almost too big for my bedroom.  It could easily heat 2 rooms by itself.  The electric bill has not increased since it's purchase (all electric home).  The unit itself is cool to the touch, so much that my cat sits on it.  Since it's all electric, I don't have to worry about carbon monoxide.  The flame feature does not turn off, but it's nice when the lights are out at night.  Has the same ambiance as candles.  My only criticism is that I wish the flame feature turned off so that I could run the heater by itself.  The blower kicks on and off appropriately, so I am very happy with it's thermostat.  It has a very classic look, I love the old-fashioned look.  I feel perfectly safe with this unit in my bedroom.  If it gets any colder, I will move it to the livingroom/kitchen, I know it can handle both rooms.  (The flame feature makes a very faint sound, so if you need total quiet to sleep, you might not want this heater in your bedroom. It's not noisy at all, super quiet. You can just hear the ticking in the middle of the night)

Just happy it was a gift.

My wife and I were given this DuraFlame DFS-550-6 (Stove style) as a gift upon moving into a different home. It was during the winter so it was a welcome gift, When we un-packaged the unit and set it up, we were very happy with the overall look of the little unit. A short while later after allowing the heater to run for a while (Roughly 45 minutes) in a small room (12x13). Upon returning the room had heated very little if at all. I did however notice, if you stood directly in front of the unit you could feel a light warm draft from underneath it so I knew the heater was functioning. The DuraFlame DFS-550-6 does look very nice, but I wouldn't recommend it for dependable heat. It would be an awesome semi useful decorative piece, but not the greatest heater.

The performance of this little heater could be greatly improved. It doesn't heat very well at all. I used the heater very seldom once I realized how very poorly it heated. Even with my limited use unit developed a squealing noise while it ran that eventually became so loud and annoying we never used it again.

Very easy to use, no complaints set up and use was super simple.

I would say the durability of the DuraFlame DFS-550-6 is an embarrassment to the DuraFlame name. I doubt I had even a full 24 hours use in real time on this unit before it made it's final journey to the local landfill/recycling facility.

The unit is designed very well as far as the looks and the way it is intended to work, it just doesn't work very well. The entire family liked the way the little DuraFlame DFS-550-6 looked. The heating part of this unit is a totally different story, it was useless for the most part.

Safety
The packaging listed several safety features, I would have to assume they worked well, it didn't last long enough to really know anything about them

My Little Buddy!! Great Little Heater!! It e Gets the Job Done!!

from Brighton, Ma.

Comments about DuraFlame DFS-550-6 (Stove style):

I bought this space heater to replace an old radiator-style oil-filled space heater that was used in the bedroom. It had begun to leak oil and had started smoking! So I had to get rid of it.

That was about two years ago. The Duraflame heater has performed very well, as it does today!! It heats up to 400 square feet of space very comfortably. Works like a charm!!

The simulated "burning log & fire display" adds to the warm glow, giving the warm appearance of an actual fireplace!! Has adjustable thermostat & a brightness control that lets you adjust the dimness or brightness of the "burning log & fire display"!

Warm air is discharged from the bottom front of the unit by a fan which in turn, draws in the cool air & forces the air through the heating system, warms the floor and distributes the warm air all throughout the room, making it feel warm, cozy & comfy!

Jet-black painted design helps give it the appearance of an actual vintage cast iron stove!! Smooth quiet operation helps keep operating noise to a minimum!!

Performs very well!

Easy to use!

Very durable!!

Nice design!

Safety
has built in safety thermostat which shuts down the unit if the heating element overheats. Safe to use.

Nice heater.

from Blackwell, OK

Comments about DuraFlame DFS-550-6 (Stove style):

Our central heat unit broke down last year. All we had to heat up the house was a small gas wall heater in one of our kids' bedrooms. We couldn't afford to pay to have it fixed just yet, so we bought a couple of heaters like this unit until we could have it fixed. This was a nice unit, but I wish it had better settings. It did great at heating, but it wasn't as powerful as I thought it would be. None the less, we made it through this ruff spell with this heater and another, and it did an okay job.

Performed rather well. I don't think it was as powerful for the amount I paid for it. I think it's a great heater, but mainly for looks. There's probably more powerful heaters on the market than this. It kept our living room comfortable, but not as warm as we would have like. We do have a rather large living room, dining room in our house however. This may have made it hard to heat. We used another small heater when we wanted to stay warmer.

Easy to use. However, it's rather a loud heater, had to turn up the television so I could hear it.

Really is durable, we made it through last winter and part of this one. We'd still be using it if we needed it. I'm sure it will last for years to come, whenever we made need to use it again.

I don't like that they didn't make this better on temperature controls. All you had was high and low. Would have liked more of a selection.

Safety
Has great safety features.

Keeps me warm

Comments about DuraFlame DFS-550-6 (Stove style):

I recently bought the DuraFlame heater during a Thanksgiving sale. In our house we have a wood burning fireplace insert but it doesn't reach all through the house. So I decided to try the DuraFlame heater. The heater has two controls on it for the light and the heat setting. I love the design of the heater with the light as if it was a fireplace fire. It gives the room a nice soft glow. The DuraFlame heater does have a thermostat that you can adjust to determine how often it will turn on. I will say that less than a month after I bought this the heater stopped working but I did exchange it for a new one. I have now being using it for 2 months without a problem. This heater keeps the chill out of the den in my house but does not over heat the room. I would not rely on this heater to be the only heater in my house but it is good to supplement heat in rooms that just don't quite get warm enough. I would recommend the DuraFlame heater to anyone who needs just a little boost of heat to stay warm.

Awesome heater!

from SalemNY

Comments about DuraFlame DFS-550-6 (Stove style):

I purchased the DuraFlame stove style space heater when the electric heaters in one of the larger rooms in my house weren't keeping the room warm enough. With this heater, I didn't even need to use the electric heaters that are installed in the room. I love that the heat setting is adjustable and the flame lighting is adjustable as well. The remote that came with it to adjust settings or turn it off was convenient as well. I have a two year old that is very curious and since this heater, where she can touch, does not get hot. She is often around it neing nosy and it is nice to know she won't get burned by it. My light bill actually went down some after I stopped usong the intalled electric heaters and used this instead. My only complaints are that the light bulb for the flame seems to always burn out and need to be replaced and it is a bit noisy at times. Overall, I would buy another of these if I ever needed one.

Gives large room great heat.

Simple to turn on and figure out.

Light bulbs need replacing quite a bit. (For flames).

Looks like an actual fireplace which adds to the room.

Safety
Doesn't get hot and is safe to use around my toddler.

Looks So Much Better Than Other Heaters

from Pittsburgh, PA

Comments about DuraFlame DFS-550-6 (Stove style):

I love the energy efficiency of space heaters---it's much cheaper to heat the area you are in rather than the whole house. The problem is that most space heaters are such eye sores.

This stove style heater really looks good. The flame effect really looks good--it's sort of mesmerizing. It provides a nice bit of light when relaxing. I have two cats---one loves the heater and curls up in front of it, but the other is terrified of the fake flames for some reason.

You can feel the heat well if you are sitting near the heater. If you can position a couch or chair 2-3 feet from this heater, then you can really benefit from this heater. If the stove is positioned far away from everyone, I'm not sure how great it will be.

The heater is very quiet.

My only real complaint about this heater is that it only worked for me for two seasons and then it stopped working. I do think that happens with heaters though.

Adds Warmth and Ambience

from Wrightstown NJ

Comments about DuraFlame DFS-550-6 (Stove style):

This is the second of this style heater that I have purchased for my home. I love them. It is more expensive than your basic space heater but it is so pleasant to look at on a cold winter day or night. It not only heats the room but gives the look of a real fireplace as well. It looks so real that my granddaughters thought it was a real fire. It blows the heat from beneath and warms up a medium size room well. It is very simple to use, just flip the switch and instant warmth and a beautiful glow from the flames appears. It adds charm to any room and is lightweight enough that I can move it from room to room if I wish. It gives a nice warmth and atmosphere to a room. It is very durable and I have had no problems with it at all. The design is very nice and I have had a lot of compliments on it as well from company stopping by. It heats up my medium size room well but I don't think it would work as well in a large room. If you want the charm of a fireplace and a nice heater to warm up a room, try this one, you wont be disappointed.

• Safety:

Just happy it was a gift.

from Rome,GA

Comments about DuraFlame DFS-550-6 (Stove style):

Very easy to use, no complaints set up and use was super simple.

saves a lot on gas bill

Comments about DuraFlame DFS-550-6 (Stove style):

I am one of those people that love to save every penny I can. I decided to invest in one of these after hearing such good things about them and I have been completely satisfied. My gas bill has declined so much it was unbelievable. My electric bill hasn't been that much either which is awesome so in both departments I have saved a lot of money. This one doesn't just heat up one room, it helps heat the whole house. Great product and I would recommend this for anyone.

• Safety:

a wonderful heater the can warm multiple roms in the winter eas.

Comments about DuraFlame DFS-550-6 (Stove style):

This heater works wonderfully in heating your home, it is not a dry heat they will dry your skin out either. For those with sensitive skin a little NIVEA Creme works wonders. But I have had personally had no problems at all with it. Its can heat a very very large room plus a medium room without any strain on the product whatsoever. It is durable and comes with a remote so that you do not have to get up in order to adjust the temperature. This product is a wonderful energy saving idea for the winter.

For the ability of the product t be able to keep constant heat throughout the area very few heater of that size have the capability. The heat is constant unless u have it set to cut off at a certain temperature. Two of them can heat an entire home using much less energy than a central air unit. They are definatly worth investing in, in heating your home or one for your apartment which would also warm your bathroom as well.

the product could not be easier used. It come with a remote with only a few button which are exceedingly easier to figure out. once u pick it up you will because a master almost immediately as using the small remote which can fit nearly anywhere. The size is about that of -13 Hersey bar is melted into a square. the controls on the unit also are very simple press the temperature button and the temperature can be adjusted up or down fr comfort of course there is an on and off button and a cut of switch on the back to save energy and provide safety. When the light is on it operational if u wish when its off it is safe. also the unit can be switched between Fahrenheit and Celsius for those people whom use the metric system. the timer is locate with the temperature is all you have to do is hold it in and the up and down temperature buttons because up and down timer button for adjusting how long you want the heater to run for energy conservation.

The heater can last for years, as the saying goes it can take a beating and keep on ticking. items can safely be set atop on the heater and used ever fr an extra shelf if on so desired. because the heat produced it expelled out from the top slt where there is an overhang. it can support well over 50 pounds with ease. The sturdy wooden design can take a beating if need be and still produce the need heat to keep one warm in the winter.

The heater quite modern. it uses simple features to make it easy for anyone to use if they prefer to get off the couch or not. It well out performs a propane heater of the same size through the temperature control. and it can serve as an extra shelf to ; for example put Christmas decorations on. It also hides very well with hardwood floors. and with the square design it can be placed just slightly out from any corner to provied heat and it can be out of the way and still accentuated the room.

Safety
This heater is extremely safe The heating apparatus is locate just above the bottom so the it will slightly warm the floor but is at a more than safe distance. It come with 3 cut off switches; the remote control, on the front of the heater itself and a master cut of locate in the back of the heater. This heater could not be more safe.

• Safety:

Old fashion type heater with a connection to a warm fireplace.

Comments about DuraFlame DFS-550-6 (Stove style):

I did not overspend for this product. I find multiple places to place this heater near my computer or reading areas.

Performance is rated high. I find there are no problems with adjusting the levels of heat.

For some reason my remote stopped working otherwise the ease of use is great.

This heater is durable and not shaky at all. A very standard model made to be durable.

The design is a likeable old fashion and country design to me and this is why I purchased this type.

Safety
There are no safety hazards that I am aware of and so my rating remains high.