Other Detergents:
Dreft

Pros

Cons

Great!

This detergent is not cheap, but unless you are doing baby laundry all the time, it will last for a few weeks. I debated whether to buy it or not and glad we did. The Baby's clothes always come out clean and smelling good. It keeps clothes looking new. It's hypoallergenic, so I know it's not going to irritate her skin.

Not worth the money

When you think of a detergent name synonymous with babies, you of course think of Dreft. Unfortunately what most new mothers don't realize is that Dreft laundry detergent is actually a poor choice in detergents for sensitive baby skin! Dreft contains chemicals and frangrances that are decidedly bad for ANYONE'S skin, let alone that of a newborn baby.

In addition to being poor from a chemical standpoint, Dreft also leaves a lot to be desired in performance and cost. Dreft works, at best, on a mediocre level when it comes to removing stains, maintaining the brightness and color of clothing, and helping clothes keep their shape.  The cost is also exorbitant for a laundry detergent, which only adds insult to injury.

A well informed parent would simply not choose to use Dreft laundry detergent for their baby's clothing. Just because the last generation relied on Dreft, doesn't mean that there aren't better choices on the market today!

Smells great and cleans well

from St. Louis, MO

About Me Parent

Pros

• Easy To Use
  • Effective
  • Gets Stains Out
  • Great Scent
  • Simple Instructions

Cons

• Cleaning

Comments about Dreft Laundry Detergent:

I am currently pregnant with my 3rd child, who will be here any day now. With my first, I strictly used Dreft. I loved how it got her clothes clean and they always smells fantastic after being washed. It also worked great for getting out stains. With my second, I again used Dreft, however, that didn't last long because she had extremely sensitive skin and would break out from the Dreft. I switched to a different detergent that didn't leave her skin all broke out. Due to my my second daughters reaction and the price of Dreft, I decided not to get it again. I then won some so I am using it,a s long as the baby's skin doesn't break out. I recently got the clothes out of the garage just to discover that water leaked in to one of the bags and they smelled bad. I washed them twice with Dreft, and they smelled wonderful! Dreft works fantastic at cleaning clothes., I just wish it was a bit gentler on soft baby skin. I recommend it for those who don't have babies who react to scented detergents.

love this laundry detergent

Comments about Dreft Laundry Detergent:

We only use dreft laundry detergent for our baby girl's clothes, hats and blankets and such. It is lightly scented and gentle on our baby girl's sensitive skin. I love when I find a coupon on top of a sale to make it even cheaper. They are not cheap to buy. We wash our baby's clothes separately. I think I will use this laundry detergent til she is almost a teen. Plus she has sensitive skin like her daddy and I so I think it is safer to keep it that way. I am still debating when she turns in her teens age will I change it then. She is three years old so I have time to decide from that point. Dreft cleans very well and works great. I have not had any issues. I would recommend to those parents who are looking for reliable and gentle and lightly scented laundry detergent. We always buy the biggest size they have in stores. They carry them at target, buy buy baby, baby r us. The safeway I go to used to carry them, but i noticed when i looked for it last week they do not carry them anymore.

Works amazingly. I really have not had any issues.

Lightly scented and smells good.

I will never use any other detergent for my son's clothes.

from Sevierville, TN

Comments about Dreft Laundry Detergent:

My son got his Dad's sensitive skin, unfortunately. On the bright side, I was recommended that I try Dreft. Now, I will never go back to any other laundry detergent after using this. My son has never had any kind of allergies to this, and that makes it an A+ in my book. I have never had any sensitive skin issues, but I would imagine that all those nasty, red, itchy bumps wouldn't be too pleasant to deal with when you have an allergic reaction to the soap you used on your clothes.

There has been times when my son has spilled things on his clothes, and I just KNEW those stains wouldn't ever come out, and I was pleasantly surprised when most of the time, they did. There's only been one or two instances that stains didn't come out, but I'm not going to blame the detergent for that. There are just times that no matter what detergent you use, some stains just weren't meant to come out. And having a toddler, I'm sure that will happen many, many more times before it's all said and done!

Perfect for the new mom!

Comments about Dreft Laundry Detergent:

I received my first bottle of Dreft Laundry Detergent many years ago as a part of a baby shower gift. I used it diligently with my first born, and each child thereafter. It is incredibly mild and gentle to use. I've not had one baby develop skin irritation when their clothes were washed with this soap.
    I have no clue how long Dreft has been making soap, but based on the age of my oldest child, it's been awhile, AND it wouldn't be around today, if it were a poor product.---With that being said, I've provided bottles of Dreft as part of shower gifts that I give. It's a great tradition to pass on.

With Dreft being such a mild laundry detergent, I wouldn't encourage anyone to use it for anything but baby clothes. It doesn't clean up things like grass stains, or serious food stains that well. When it comes to formula, forget it!
    But I associate Dreft most often with my children when they were small infants, and when it comes to keeping baby clothes tidy, it does the job well.

There isn't much of a scent to Dreft detergent, but then again, who really wants a stinky detergent to overpower the sweet smell of babies? What little aroma there is is delicate enough to not bother baby's nose, as well.

First time user and pleased

from Sacramento, CA

Comments about Dreft Laundry Detergent:

I had a friend who was coming to stay with me and she has a small child (under 2). The child has very sensitive skin and the mother has labored over finding a laundry detergent that will not aggravate the child's various skin issues. When she came to stay, she indicated that she would only use Dreft, as this has proven to be the best detergent for her child since it was a baby. So I went out and purchased Dreft for her use while staying with me. On several days I wanted to surprise her with a "Chore free day" so I decided to do her laundry for her. I had never used Dreft before so I didn't really know what to expect. In using the Dreft, I immediately noted several things. Firstly, the clothes were cleaned well, despite the numerous stains that little ones tend to accumulate on their clothes. Secondly, the clothes came out reasonably soft, which is important since my friend will not permit the use of any dryer sheets or preparations. Thirdly, it worked well in both warm and hot. I did not use the cold setting, so I can't speak to that temperature. So, as a novice user, I can definitely attest to the fact that my initial experience was a good one.

Always use this

Comments about Dreft Laundry Detergent:

I love Dreft laundry detergent because it is hypoallergenic. It makes me feel much better about washing my newborns clothes because there are no harsh soaps and chemicals that might harm or irritate the baby's skin. It is also my favorite for the babies clothes because it leaves the clothes smelling very good. This detergent also gives the clothes a very soft feel after they are done being washed. You can use just a small amount since babies clothes are very small and one load is usually smaller than a regular load of adult clothing. It is a little on the expensive side, but if you factor in that you will use much less, one bottle will last a long time. This is also taking into account that you wash baby clothes much more often than adult or older children's clothing! I definitely recommend Dreft even for adults if you just want a great laundry soap that will not irritate your skin.

Always gets clothes very clean and smelling great.

from Hermiston, OR

Comments about Dreft Laundry Detergent:

This Dreft Laundry Detergent is my most favorite laundry detergent to use when it comes wash time for infant clothes, toddler clothes and adult delicate items of clothing. The bottle is designed to be east to hold onto when tipping and pouring detergent from the bottle. The cap is easy to turn over to pour detergent into the washing machine. The scent of this detergent is awesome. It is light, comforting, soft and smells clean. It is everything you would want the bay's clothes to smell like. The cleaning power of this detergent is really good. I do treat baby food stains before putting them in the washing machine to give the detergent a little boost with the cleaning action. I like the versatility of this detergent when I am able to use it for adult delicate clothing. It saves me having one less bottle of detergent in the laundry room. I have found this detergent to be very economical.

Not just for babies

from Lubbock, TX

Comments about Dreft Laundry Detergent:

Dreft is a great laundry detergent if you need something for super sensitive skin with very little scent attached to it. For the most part it is used for new babies but adults can benefit from it as well if other detergents cause skin irritation. One of the major downsides to this detergent is the price. It is priced significantly higher than other laundry detergents including those from natural food stores. I have also found that it doesn't do a great job on tough stains. After using it for a few months to help my skin irritation I found that other detergents did a better job at cleaning, there were many that didn't irritate my skin, and most all were cheaper. This is a product that if it works for you then great but search around and try other detergents before committing to this and spending all of your money on it.

The scent from the bottle has a very light scent of baby soap but is something you do not smell when you are finished washing the clothes.

A bit pricey, but the best thing to use for your baby clothes

from Dallas,TX

Comments about Dreft Laundry Detergent:

Dreft was the only detergent I used when my baby girl was born. My baby had skin irritations and this did not irtitate her at all. It's hypoallergenic, so it puts your mind at ease knowing it won't be harsh on their skin. I love the baby powdered scent too. There's nothing better then that baby scent. I will say that it is a bit on the expensive side. You do a lot of laundry when they're babies due to accidents and it can get to be quite expensive. It was the only thing that wouldn't irritate my babie's skin, so I stuck with it.

I honestly feel it is the best baby detergent on the market. We all know that babies stain their clothes with milk and sometimes soil their clothes. Getting milk stains off the garments is a challenge, but Dreft did great on those stains. I would just soak the stain and dab some dreft on it and leave it on the garment until I washed it. It got the stains out effortlessly. It also leaves your garments feeling soft.

I love the scent it has. It truly defines what a baby should smell like. It has like a baby powder scent and leaves your clothes smelling fresh. I also noticed the scent really stays on your garments so they remain smelling fresh for a long time.

Perfect for doing baby's laundry

from Oakwood Village, OH

Comments about Dreft Laundry Detergent:

Dreft Laundry Detergent is a great product. It's often my first choice for doing baby's and toddler's laundry. It has easy directions. It smells very nice. This product is clear and doesn't have any color to it I really like that about it. It keeps baby clothing, bedding, and even plush toy items soft and clean looking. It rinses well from the laundry and leaves fabrics remaining in soft to the touch condition. This product also helps to maintain the overall look of baby items as keeping them new looking. When I use this product I feel safe. This product has a reasonable price as well.

This laundry detergent gives a great performance as it gets baby waste, baby food, and baby milk formula stains out quite well and completely.

I love the scent of this laundry detergent. The scent is light and fresh and exactly compatible to what I want a baby laundry detergent to smell like.