Other General Household Cleaners:

Drano Max Gel Clog Remover

Pros

Cons

Drano Clog Removing Gel: Taking it to the Max

Who among us hasn't had to deal with a clogged household drain? I didn't see any hands go up, and that isn't surprising. Clogged drains are a fact of life and while they are certainly frustrating, most of them can be cleared with relatively little effort. A plumber can do the job, but a far less expensive option is to utilize one of the many household chemicals available at your local retail outlet. One I have used with great success is **Drano Max Gel Clog Remover**, a powerful chemical agent. **Drain Opener Commentary:**** **Drano Max Gel Clog Remover is a thick, heavy gel that quickly makes its way through standing water and heads straight for the clog. The chemicals in this product are designed to dissolve away grease, hair, and other common clog- inducing substances to return drains to their normal, free- running condition. A single treatment requires about sixteen or thirty- two ounces, depending on the severity of the clog, and the product is safe for use in bathrooms or kitchens. It is safe for bathtubs, metal pipes, plastic pipes, and septic systems, but should not be used in toilets. Drano Max Gel Clog Remover is a very useful product for opening drains and the main quality that makes this and other liquid- style drain openers so appealing is the ease of use. There is no need to remove standing water in the sink or bathtub- all you do is twist open the cap, hold the bottle over the drain opening, and slowly pour. The thick liquid slowly makes its way down the drain until it reaches the clogged area. It then attacks the grease, hair, soap scum, or other clog- causing material and dissolves it away. Drano and other drain- opening liquids come in different forms, including ordinary liquid and gel. I have found the gel option slightly better. The thick, heavy gel seems more powerful and according to the manufacturer, the gel has the ability to cling to the clog and go to work more efficiently. If your problem is a slow running drain, gel presents a distinct advantage because it is made to cling to the clog whereas ordinary liquids will be partially wasted because some of the liquid will bypass the clog and head straight down the drain. One small issue some may have with Drano Max Gel Clog Remover is that a single, quart- size bottle is only good for one or two drain treatments. The manufacturer recommends using at least sixteen ounces, but it may be necessary to use thirty- two ounces for a really tough clog. When I have used ordinary drain opening liquids, I have often needed to make a return trip to the store to purchase a second bottle. But with Drano Max Gel Clog Remover, I have never had this problem. It has always cleared the clog with either one or two sixteen ounce treatments. In fact, if a full, one quart bottle didn't do the trick, I would probably pick up the phone and call a plumber. A clog would have to be pretty tough for a full 32 oz. of Drano Max Gel Clog Remover to fail in its mission.

**Bottom Line Viewpoint:**

Drano Max Gel Clog Remover is an excellent product for clearing clogged drains in the kitchen or bathroom, offering a high probability for success at the fraction of the cost of hiring a plumber. Keep in mind that this and other drain openers are highly toxic and thus should be handled with care. But when chemicals are needed, Drano Max Gel Clog Remover is one of the best choices consumers can make. It attacks clogs quickly, returning a drain to its free- flowing self in less than thirty minutes and saving consumers a bundle of money in plumbing service costs.

This didnt unclog my drains as well as I hoped.

I can't really rely on this product to unclog the drains in my house. My sink drain and toilet drains have a tendency to get clogged up because of the angle of the pipework and this has done nothing to unclog them. The only use I've found for this is using it in the shower drain after my hair has clogged the drain. The harsh chemicals kind of just melt and burn the hair away that is in the drain.

We recently decided to start going natural and organic with our chemical products and this one doesn't make the cut by a long shot. The chemical is strong enough to melt and burn hair so I wont be keeping it and using it. It didn't work well in the first place but now I know how harmful it is. The chemical will burn if you get it on your skin and the entire time I use it, I have to leave the room because I cough and hack.

It only works for clogs that are just made of hair. It didn't work on oil or food particle clogs at all. It kind of just backs back up into the sink or drain I poured it down into.

The scent is terrible. It's very strong and choking. I had to open a window and leave the room for a few minutes because it irritated my lungs.

This didnt unclog my drains as well as I hoped.

from West Virginia

Works on slow drains

from Westchester, IL

Comments about Drano Max Gel Clog Remover:

I purchased Drano Max Gel Clog Remover to unclog several sinks/pipes in my house. I followed the instructions and poured the Drano down the kitchen drain and waited for it to run out. I did this over night to give the Drano enough time to work through the clog. When I awoke the next morning it appeared that the solution had cleared the clog. I turned on the water to test out the drain and immediately the Drano came rushing back into the sink. I left the sink along for 24 hours to attempt the process again. I once again poured Drano into the sink and waited 16 hours before testing it out. Once again when I turned on the water the liquid came rushing back. I ended up removing the pipe and rodding it out to get rid of the clog. I did have success using this product in my bathroom. I had a slow drain for quite some time and this product was able to fix it in 30 minutes. I definitely would recommend Drano Max Gel Clog Remover for slow drain sinks.

The only clog remover I will use.

from lakeland, florida

Comments about Drano Max Gel Clog Remover:

Out of the clog removing products that I have used, I think that Drano Gel is the best. I definitely noticed that helped removing a clog better than other removers I have tried. The smell is a little much and can burn your nose if you are not careful. I usually try to keep my face covered when I am using this product. It is the best value for the price in my opinion. It is definitely the product I will be purchasing in the future for my drains. I used it most recently on the sink in my bathroom. It had started to become very clogged and I needed a strong product to get the clog out. Drano Gel worked very well. This was about two weeks ago and the sink has not clogged again since I bought the Drano. It was an affordable solution to my problem and I would definitely purchase it again!

I can definitely say that this product performed very well. It unclogged my sink and kept it unclogged.

It Does Remove Clogs

from USA, Indiana

Comments about Drano Max Gel Clog Remover:

Drano Max Gel Clog Remover works well with removing clog from bathroom sinks, kitchen sinks and bathtubs. I wash my hair in both my kitchen sink and bathtub. This causes my drains to get clogged up with hair. It slows down the draining process of my water when hair becomes lodged inside my drain pipes.

Whenever my drains get clogged up I always purchase one or two bottle of Drano Max Gel Clog Remover. This is one of the best gel clog remover I have tried. I pour half the bottle down my clogged drain and let it sit for 1 hour to 2 hours depending on how bad the clog is. Turn the hot water on and let it run for 10 minutes and my drain is clog free.

The scent of Drano Max Gel Remover is very strong. I really don't know what I can compare the scent to but it reminds me of bleach. I would suggest turning on a ceiling fan if you have one to help cut down on the strong odor.

This is a great product and I have gotten great results from using this product.

You can count on Drano

from Trenton, NJ

Comments about Drano Max Gel Clog Remover:

We keep Drano under the kitchen sink with all of our other household products. It is a "must-have" in our home. We don't get a lot of clogs, but when we do, it almost always solves the problem. This Drano product comes in a gel and sticks along the sides of the pipe that you're trying to clear. The gel-like quality makes the product more effective, since it doesn't just run down the drain like the old stuff used to. Our most frequent use is in the kitchen and the bathroom sinks. They often get either food, grease or hair clogging up the drain and when that happens, the Drano can cut through it fairly well, with only a short period of waiting time. I haven't noticed that Drano has an especially strong or offensive smell. I do try to be very careful not to get it on my skin though. It eats away drain gunk, so it will surely mess up your skin, if you're not careful. There have been a couple of times that Drano didn't quite get through a clog, but that's not because the product is inferior, it's just because the problem was too much for a simple drain cleaner and warranted a snaking of the pipe. I highly recommend the Gel Drano, because it really works and saves a lot grief when you get a clog.

Never works for me.

from Kansas

Comments about Drano Max Gel Clog Remover:

It seems like this product is getting good reviews on here. I'm really not sure why. It has never worked once for me. I have tried it multiple times because it's such a popular brand that I always think "okay it has to work...why would it be so popular?" I tried it in my bathroom sink and kitchen sink...same results each time...none.

I follow the instructions on the bottle exactly, each time. Pour it in and leave it 15-30 minutes depending on the severity of the clog. I leave it the max amount of time even if it isn't that bad. Each time I slowly rinse the product down the drain [or well I try to...] I still have the same clog. It has never done anything at all to the clog in any drain. I don't understand. I first thought maybe it was just one sink...but then I tried the other that was clogging a little. Nope. It just doesn't work for me!

I do not recommend this product at all. It does nothing. Just wastes money.

Fixes all my clogs

from Colorado Springs, CO

Comments about Drano Max Gel Clog Remover:

I love this drain clearing formula. I use it on a monthly basis to clear all my drains in our house. I have long, brittle hair that falls out a couple strands at a time with each and every shower I take. This quickly leads to a clogged shower drain and pipe for. This clog is usually compounded with bar soap, body wash, shampoo, and conditioner residue. Once a month I pour some Drano max gel down into the standing water in the shower and it sinks down into the drain. After it is done draining the clog is gone for weeks at a time. I also use it on clogs in the bathroom sink and kitchen sink as well. We do not have a garbage disposal in the kitchen sink so the Drano gel really helps in the kitchen too. This drain clogging gel is very useful and effective and is also safe on all types of pipes and drains. The price for this product is much better than having to pay for a plumber to come fix something that this gel can handle with ease. I make sure to have at least one extra bottle on hand at all times.

Drano unclogs all of my drains!

from Sneads Ferry, NC

Comments about Drano Max Gel Clog Remover:

I always have a bottle of Drano Max Gel Clog Remover around in my house to unclog all of my drains! I use Drano when my drains are clogged and not draining the water fast enough. I use it on a variety of the drains in my house including the kitchen sink, bathroom sink and the bath tub. My dog sheds a lot and it's awful when I have to give her a bath inside in the winter when it's cold. My bath tub drain gets clogged with dog hair every single time but I pour Drano into the drain and let it sit for awhile and it gets the drain unclogged every single time without me having to do any drain plunging or picking. The scent is not like flowers but it's only a temporary smell while it's unclogging the drain.
Drano is also safe to use in sinks. I know personally that my bathroom sink always gets clogged with my own hair from styling it in front of the mirror! But Drano helps unclog that as well.
Overall, I would definitely recommend Drano max gel clog remover because it's very easy to use and it unclogs drains very well.

Effective at Removing Clogs

Comments about Drano Max Gel Clog Remover:

I always had difficulty with maintaining my clogged sinks, until I stumbled upon this product. My sinks are usually blocked up my hair, which can be extremely difficult to dissolve with other cleaners. I have previously tried to purchase drain cleaners from 99 cent stores, but they were extremely ineffective. After becoming tired with the endless search for the right product, I saw a commercial on Drano Max Gel and decided to try it out. After dispensing a good amount of the product into my sink drain and leaving the gel formula to sit for half an hour, it was amazing to see how effective this product was at removing all traces of a clogged sink. What I do now is I maintain my sinks in between in order to prevent major clogs. I usually dispense a small amount of the product and let it sit for fifteen minutes to about twenty minutes in order to loosen up any grime. I am extremely happy with how effective this product is and would recommend it to others.

This was the only option at my small local store

Comments about Drano Max Gel Clog Remover:

I needed a drain cleaner on short notice and this was the only product that was available in the small town store I had to shop at. I am very pleased that I ended up with this because it worked so well! I have a lot of girls in the house, and our shower can easily become clogged with hair. Sometimes most of it can get pulled out, but eventually the trap does get clogged and the options are either take it all apart to clean it, or buy drain cleaner. I opted to try the drain cleaner. I felt that the Draino gel worked extremely well for this application. I have tried drain cleaners in the past, but they were more watery. I felt the gel clung to the hair and continued to further break it down, making for a much better cleaning job. This quickly and easily solved our clogged drain and now I am sure to have some on hand for future problems.

A little strongly scented, but it is a heavy duty cleaner, so the smell is acceptable for the work it does.