Other Credit Cards:

Discover - it Credit Card

Pros

Cons

• Available Rates:

They took a chance on me when it really mattered.

Buying my condo back in 1986 and taking care of necessary repairs, furnishings, and other expenses, really "strapped" me for a while.  This is not uncommon for people buying their first homes.  I never regretted becoming an owner but in those days I couldn't afford to "clear the decks" with my credit cards every month as I should have.  The interest began to pile up and it wasn't long before I was faced with a huge burden of debt to be shouldered along every month.  Believe me, I'm sympathetic to those people who are having credit card problems.  I know all about the calls from Collection Departments (most of those people were very nice, by the way) and those huge balances that just never seemed to recede.  I ended up paying a lot more than whatever the stuff cost which I had charged in the first place.  Plus, my credit rating was **384**!

It wasn't until a few years ago that I had sense enough to take out a home equity loan which paid off my mortgage and cleared off the credit card debts.  The people who helped me with the loan at the finance company warned me to use credit cards "*only when necessary, in case of an emergency*" but I had no intention of following that advice.  I knew that credit cards were a vital and valuable tool if well used and that using credit responsibly was the only way to boost my ailing credit rating so I used them for every purchase I could and paid off the balances each month.  From that time to this, I have never paid another penny of interest to a credit card company.

So much for the personal biographical stuff (and I'm sorry) but what this is leading up to is how much I appreciated those banks which were willing to take a chance on a walking disaster like I was.  Capital One gambled and issued me a card for $2,000 which was greatly appreciated but awarded me nothing and as time went by, I felt that I deserved more credit.  Enter, *Discover Card* which I learned about at the MyPoints site.

*Discover Card* reviewed my case and upped the "ante" to credit of $7,500 plus a wonderful "cash back" program.  I may be lucky but I've never had a problem with them and whatever interest they are charging doesn't matter as I never have to pay any.  I especially like the system of "Cashback Partners" they have.  Last Christmas I was able to redeem $40 for $80 worth of Mrs. Field's online gift certificates which greatly helped me in my Christmas cookie orders for friends.

Although I sometimes use my *[Chase United Mileage Plus Card][1] * to earn miles with, *Discover *is my usual choice for charges big and small.  Peace of mind, no more collection calls or customer service crises and, best of all, my credit rating has gone from 384 to 774!  Hopefully, this will encourage whoever is coping with financial problems and I wish you all success.

[1]: http://www.viewpoints.com/United-Airlines-Mileage-Plus-Visa-Credit-Card-reviews

Discover Card has raised my Finance Charge

I am not very happy with Discover Card right now.  I believe they are taking complete advantage of doing every thing they can to increase their profits at the expense of their credit card customers.  They have done everything they could to beat the new government credit card regulations.  I had an APR of 19.99% on purchases, which were few.  I also had an APR of 5.90% on a balance transfer, with a balance of about $8900.00   My due date was the 16th of each month.  Suddenly, Discover changed my due date to the 12th of the month.  I didn't notice this for several months, as my closing date of the 17th of each month remained the same.  The due date is in light print at the side of my invoice.  The closing date is in **BOLD** print right the top.  I really didn't understand the difference.  As I always pay early, the due date change was unnoticable to me for several months.   My minimum payment was about $180 in August '09, and I always paid above the minimum.

Then came the betrayal.  In August, I paid $1000 to Discover, on August 6, Okay.  In September I paid $400 on Sept. 7,  Still okay. In October, I paid $3000, $2200 on October 4, and $800 on October 11th.  Great!   Then they nabbed me!!  After paying $4400 on my balance in three months, in November my statement shows a zero payment, although my payment was mailed in time to beat what I believed to be my 16th due date.  Oops.  My $300 payment for November was not applied to my account until NOvember 20th, and they charged me*** $39.00 late fee***.  Soooo, since they applied my November payment to my December bill, I skipped paying until January.  The December bill was duly paid in November.  I paid the January payment properly, and the February payment was paid January 30th, in plenty of time before the Feb 12th deadline.  However, BIG SURPRISE.   Not only was I charged a late fee in November, NOW just before the government credit card regulations, all my balances have been lumped together, and I am now being charged 19.99% on the entire balance.  With no notice.

My statement notes that I have been a cardmemeber since 1987, which is, golllleeee, 23 years!!  No late payments in 23 years, but now that I have been late once, I am charged not only a $39 late fee, BUT my percentage has gone up from 5.90% to 19.99%.  That's huge, and as financial wizard Howard Clark put it so nicely, the credit card companies are "out to get you", and to take you for every possible cent they can get.   He had a few other very choice names for them, and I have to agree.  I will pay this card off, and I will never charge with them again.....Ever.

Cant say enough good things about my discover cards

from Londonderry, NH

Comments about Discover - it Credit Card:

I absolutely love my Discover It card. I can't give too much insight on interest associated with the card, as I make it a point to pay it off in full each month. Instead of paying cash or using a debit card for any of my purchases I always put it on my card to earn cash back. You get cash back on every dollar spent and a little more cash back for things they select for a few months. For example, for a few months they will give 5% cash back for money spent in money and restaurants. If you are going out to eat anything ways, why not put it on this card and get a little back. I sometimes use my credits towards my bill or for gift cards. You and a friend can also earn $50 each if you have a card and refer a friend to sign up.

Discover IT student card vs Capital One Journey student card

from nashville tn

Discover IT student card vs Capital One Journey student card

I was in the process of improving my credit so I decided to apply for a student Discover Card; instead I was offered a secured card. I applied for Capital One Journey student card two months later and was approved with a $500 limit. Within the first five months Capital One increased by $250, after a yr. with the Discover Card, I still cannot get an unsecured card.
This review compares Discover IT student card with Capital One Journey student card. Both card get have similar benefits for students wanting a credit card and can be used as a vehicle to manage credit responsibly. Each individual credit situation is different but for me Capital One Journey card prove to be the best.
Pluses- Discover IT student card
• Live agent
Speaking with a live agent is a plus; you don't have to go through an automated system unless you choose to. The customer service representatives I have spoken with are very polite and professional, and have always solved my problems.
• Rewards
Rewards are great, because customers receive money back when using the card to make purchases.
• Rental Car insurance
• Purchase Protection
Certain purchases less than $500 are covered if they are damaged or stolen within a 90 day period after purchased.
• Price protection
If you make a purchase of $500 or less with the discover card and find the item cheaper within 90 day discover will refund the differences.
• Free FICO score
Great, gives you a snap shot of your credit score monthly, allows you to view score for free.
Pluses -Capital One Journey student card
• Rewards
• Rental Car insurance
• Purchase Protection
• Price protection
• Free FICO score
• Credit limit increase after five payment on-time

• Fraud coverage

I was in the process of improving my credit so I decided to apply for a student discover card, instead I was offered a secured card. I deposited $1000, which became my limit. I was told that after a year the card would be reviewed for an unsecured card monthly.

After a year of membership and all payments on time and a 701 credit score, I feel that my account should become a regular account. Instead Discover gave me a checking account, which is basically a secured card not reported to the credit companies. If you're going to hold the security deposit hostage you should pay interest.

I had the Discover card for a year and still no increase on credit limit, Capital One Journey card holder has access to a higher credit line after making your first 5 monthly payments on time plus I have a 19.8% variable APR compared to Discover's 22% variable APR.
My problem with Discover secured card is the initial limited cannot be increased, even if you are going to deposited more money. I would like to know why Discover would have a problem drawing interest off the customer's deposit, if they want to increase their limit by adding money to the secured deposit especially since they are charging a 22% variable APR.to the customer to use what is their own money.
Student Discover Card will allow customers to have one late payment without increasing variable APR. In my case I have never been late plus my variable APR is already 22%. Discover Card seem to be stingy with limit increases, within a year I now have a Capital One Visa with a $4000 limit and also my Capital One Journey Card limit has increased.
Capital One student card is more suited for me based on the relationship they have established by increasing my credit limit for paying on time, whereas Discover has been holding my security deposit for over a year. Discover offered a reward checking account along with the secured account. I would close my Discover Student, but it would have closed my Discover and have my deposit returned but it would have a negative effect on my credit score.
My conclusion is Capital One Journey works better for me due to offering me an unsecured card credit increasing credit limit and giving me another credit cards, whereas when applying for Discover's student card I was asked for a deposit. After a year still no unsecured card offer from Discover's student card.

Use It Almost Everyday!

from West Virginia

Comments about Discover - it Credit Card:

I absolutely love this credit card! I have used it everywhere I possibly can! They give you thirty days to pay it back without interest, and then add interest if it is not paid in full. I have never had interest applied to my credit card, I do know the interest is about 25%. Now that would suck! I have never used the cash back feature, but I would love to see how it works. I have received points for using my credit card. With those points, you can actually put it towards your payment! Which is very nice!! Like I said, I have used this card more than I have used any card. Also after having this card for six months, they raised my spending credit on the card. So I highly recommend this credit card for anyone starting out or even just use the card for personal reasons.

Great Credit Card for all purchases

from Garden City, MO

Comments about Discover - it Credit Card:

Discover Credit Card is a very reliable card to have in your wallet. They give you many options for using your purchase credits. Each month extra credit is given to a certain picked purchase where you can get extra points. These points can then be used in many different ways even as credit back onto your bill. Many different gift cards are available if you don't want to cash in for a credit. They offer comparable interest rates and their online website is easy to navigate and has many helpful tips. They even give you a free credit score update.

Customer Service
I have always had great luck with their customer service. Whenever an issue has arisen they have worked thru the problem with me and been willing to refund back anything. The wait time on hold is never very long.

Available Rates
Their rates are comparable but with a phone call you can sometimes get your rate lowered. Also they will lower your rate after a period of paying on time and over the minimum.

The best credit card.

Comments about Discover - it Credit Card:

The Discover Card has a good cash back bonus program and the customer service is always fast and efficient. It's great to not have to redeem reward points for merchandise of airline tickets.Cash is what I need. The monthly special 5% bonuses are usually in categories that I used often. So, I can talke advantage of them.

Customer Service
I can get a real person on the phone in a very short amount of time and I am always helped to my satisfaction with the first person I talk to. Every customer service rep I have ever talked to was knowledgable about the product and able to help me with my problem. They are also good at advising me of ways to make things easier.

Available Rates
All credit card rates are high. But, this isn't an issue for me because I pay in full each month. On the very rare occassion when I made a late payment, they waved my fee because of my outstanding payment history. It's great to be appreciated for my loyalty to a company.

• Available Rates:

Average card with nice rewards

from Eastlake, OH

Comments about Discover - it Credit Card:

My parents have had their Discover card for over twenty years. I took their recommendation for one when I was looking for another credit card that gave some cash back rewards. The interest rate after the introductory period was average for the industry. What I enjoyed is the rewards. I was able to get lunchboxes, cookware, and gift cards for the entire family. These were quality items that we were all able to enjoy.

Customer Service
Initially you are able to activate this card over the phone or online. That was quite easy to do. I had a subsequent question and concern about the card and then had to call the customer service line. I had to do some searching to find the number on the Discover website. I had about a five minute wait on hold before I spoke to a rep. Yes, English was not her first language. However, she did enunciate well and truly worked hard to resolve my issues. They were resolved in one phone call.

Available Rates
The introductory rate of 0% was a nice enticement. My rate switched to 14.9% after the introductory period. That was very inline with my other major credit card.

• Available Rates:

I have a Discover It Credit Card.

from Muskegon, MI

Comments about Discover - it Credit Card:

I recently obtained a Discover It Credit Card. I wanted this card because of the benefits that came with it. This card has no Set-Up and Maintenance Fees. The best benefit, I think, is having the option of being up-to-date with my Credit Score that I receive with my bill each month. I think this is a nice card to have and would recommend it to anyone in the market for a for a Credit Card that helps you to save. My Annual Percentage Rate is reasonable compared to my current Credit Score, but most APR's are in relation to that individual credit score. My APR for Cash Advances are relatively low, when compared to other Credit Cards that I own. Also, with this card you can pick your own Payment Date of the month. It's a great card and I appreciate the chance to have one.

Customer Service
I haven't had the chance to contact Customer Service but once and this was in regards to my Cash Back purchases. I received the information I was seeking in a very friendly and courteous way.

Available Rates
The rates are slightly lower than other card rates that I have.

Persistent

from Dallas, TX

Comments about Discover - it Credit Card:

I originally got a Discover Card because of a promotion in which they offered 5% cash back up to a certain amount per billing cycle. The idea seemed really appealing and rewarding at the time. What I didn't realize was that there was a lot of fine print behind the offer. For example, you had to reach certain minimums, and even after that, the rewards capped at a certain amount.
Additionally, the reward categories changed quarterly, and there were quarters in which I didn't ever make purchases in those categories. The overall cash back percentage during those times for other purchases was just 1% which was less than my other credit cards.
I found it to be too time consuming to keep track of which categories were worth what rewards. I like a more simple approach of knowing exactly which purchases will be rewarded, for example, gas & groceries.
When I tried to cancel my card, it was quite a long process of the card services representative trying to persuade me to stay with Discover. I was even transferred to a supervisor for additional persuasion.

• Available Rates:

Great Credit Card (for those that can use credit responsibly)

Comments about Discover - it Credit Card:

I love this credit card, it was the first one I got after graduating college and before starting grad school. I already had a decent credit score, but I wanted strengthen my credit score and credit history in preparation to buy a house in a few years. The Discover It card gives you your FICO score for free with your statement every month so it's a great way to keep track of where you stand, and in my case watching my score rise as I continue to use my cards responsibly.
You get 5% cash back on rotating categories that change quarterly and 1% cash back on other purchases. Being in grad school full time and working part time the quarterly categories are fairly useful to me:
January - March: 5% cash back on restaurants and movies. Between classes and work, I tend to not have a lot of time to cook for myself during the semester so I get a lot of use out of this category when it's available.
April - June: 5% cash back on Home Improvement Stores, Furniture Stores, and Bed Bath & Beyond. This is the start of wedding season and I usually know at least a few people that have registries at BB&B so I can take advantage of 5% cash back on their gifts. It's also a good time to pick up anything I might need for my apartment.
July - September: 5% cash back on gas. Lets face it, gas is expensive so 5% back there is always welcome, but even more so during the summer when I tend to be traveling a lot more since I have more free time since I don't take summer classes.
October - December: 5% cash back on online purchases. This is probably my favorite quarterly category for the Discover It card since I do a lot of my holiday shopping online. What makes this category even better is that with the Discover It card you also gain access to ShopDiscover, Discover's online cash back portal. Shopping through the portal can earn you an extra 5-25% cash back on your purchase (varies by retailer) on top of your normal cash back earnings just for using your card. This is really the best way to get the most out of your holiday shopping and it's how I earn the bulk of my rewards from my Discover It card.
I always pay my balance off in full every month, so the rewards really pay off for me. Discover offers several ways to redeem your cash back that are really convenient: a statement credit on your Discover card (in $50 increments), direct deposit to your bank account ($50 increments), a Discover gift card (available in $20, $25, $50, $75, or $100 denominations), charitable donations ($20, $25, $50, $75, $100, $150, $200, or $250 denominations), pay with cash back partners online (Amazon, Overstock, iTunes and a few others), or partner gift cards. Partner gift cards are really where you can get the most out of your cash back bonus because most of them are offered at a discount. Such as a $50 retailer or restaurant gift card for $40 of your cash back. There are a lot of gift card options available so you should have no trouble finding one that you'd be interested in.

Customer Service
I rarely have a reason to contact customer service, but when I do they've always been friendly and extremely helpful.

Available Rates
The interest rates are really what you'd expect from your average rewards credit card. They're higher than a non-rewards card, but fairly competitive compared to other credit cards that offer rewards. But the key to getting the most out of your any reward card is to pay off the balance IN FULL every month, so the interest rates shouldn't really matter if you're using your card responsibly (not spending more than you can actually afford). If you don't have the money in your bank to cover the purchase then you shouldn't be making the purchase. I charge every purchase I can with my credit cards to get the most out of the rewards, but I don't make the purchase unless I have the money in the bank to cover it.
If you need to carry a balance for whatever reason then get a non-rewards credit card that has lower interest rates. Otherwise you'll end up paying more in interest than you'll earn in rewards, and in that scenario you're really just hurting yourself.

Good for a First Credit Card

Comments about Discover - it Credit Card:

I think this is a very good credit card for someone's very first credit card. I do not have a job and therefore no real need for a credit card since I live at home and my parents pay all of my expenses. However, I got this credit card because I want to build up my credit score for the future. The major advantage to this card is that it is accepted anywhere and anyone can get the card. It's nice to have a card you know that everywhere you go you can use it. I rarely use this card and I don't have any rewards or even know about that stuff honestly. I don't even know what the interest rate is because I always pay my entire balance off immediately. It has worked extremely well as a first card for me.

Customer Service
I moved about two years ago. I had absolutely no trouble getting the address on my card changed. That was the only time in the few years I have had this card that I have ever needed customer service.