Other Credit Cards:

Discover - Student More Credit Card

Pros

Cons

• Available Rates:

Great for students who need to build credit without any history

This is a great card for students who don't have any credit history and want to start building it up. I also did not want to be signed under my parents, which is why I went to Discover; otherwise, I would have tried getting a Chase Freedom Card. Discover has about twenty designs to choose from for the Student More card. Once I applied for the card, I was accepted within a week, and Discover mailed my card within another week. I started out with a $500 CL which is all that I could ask for. As long as you have a part-time job, you should be accepted. I tried applying for a Chase Freedom before getting my Discover card, and Chase rejected me because I wasn't financially secure with a stable job (they want to see that you've been working for a long period of time). Just like any other credit card, Discover has 5% Cashback Bonus in certain categories every three months; the past three months included shopping at department stores and online. They also have ShopDiscover, where you can get additional cashback from shopping online at stores that Discover has partnered with, ranging from 2% to 20%. Discover has other tools to help you make payments on time; I'm not much help here because I rarely use them, but they are a nice addition to the site. You can pay your bills online, and you can sign up to receive e-mails or text messages if you are almost nearing your CL, etc. The site is somewhat hard to navigate, and it takes a while to get to know where everything is. A lot of merchants accept Discover, so that is a plus. Anyway, a student should not expect much from getting a Discover Student More card. If you're reading this review, chances are you've never had a credit card before. This is a good card to start with, and once you've had it for at least half a year, you can probably start looking for a card elsewhere. That's what I'm planning to do at least. Overall, this is a stable card with a Cashback Rewards Program that is almost similar to what other companies, like Chase and American Express, offer.

Discover offers many cards for differnt kinds of people

I have a Discover Student Credit Card. I have not had any major problems with Discover, but there are negative and positive aspects of the card. The Discover Card website is great! It gives you access to many tools that help with budgeting and even help you plan to pay off your credit card debt. They offer a spend analyzer that shows you how you spend your money yearly or even monthly. It lets you see a realistic picture of what you spend your money on. The rewards program is also cool. Each month, there are different types of purchases that earn you more cash back, and every purchase gets some cash back. However, it takes a long time to get enough cash back to actaully use it, at least in my case, because I don't make huge purchases with it. Discover has great customer service, and they have been helpful to me in the past. Overall, I have had a good experience with my discover card, and would recommend it to others.

Excelent

from San antonio Tx

Comments about Discover - Student More Credit Card:

In my opinion this is an excelent credit card because is for students, is easy to use and is a great alternative of the money. is recomendable for the young people because is more easy to use of the other credit cards.
it is easy to get for a student with little movement vancario so there are not many restrictions

Great for learning how to control credit spending.

from Florida

Comments about Discover - Student More Credit Card:

The Discover Student more was the first credit card I ever used. I became a card holder at seventeen when I began taking college Classes and was a card holder for four years.

While I don't necessarily claim to be the biggest fan of Discover anymore, but it was good for a first card and learning how to manage credit and spending habits.

The rates were more than welcoming for someone who was just being introduced to the credit world, but not so low that I overspent.

The pay off schedule was probably my favorite part of being a card holder for this particular Discover card. It gave me the freedom to use the card every month but still be able to pay off my bill.

If you are looking for a good starter card while going to School, look no further.

Customer Service
Customer service is available both by phone and online which is always a nice feature and addition.

Available Rates
As mentioned above the rates were good.

• Available Rates:

Decent card for building a solid credit history.

Comments about Discover - Student More Credit Card:

I got this card as a way to build credit while is school. It offered very attractive rates, without seeming like it was breaking the bank for me. I knew that I would be relying on this card heavily while in school, so I thought the discover brand was the way to go. Since being in school, I have used this card to cover the cost of books and even the cost of an extra class from time to time. I like the added convenience of having the card and knowing that I have a great rate each time I use it for needed items and other expenses.

Customer Service
The customer service department was excellent, as I experienced and issue with my cash back rate being inaccurate, actually a lower percentage rate than was originally quoted to me. They were very helpful in correcting this for me

Available Rates
They really do have competitive rates that are beneficial to the user., especially the cash back rates. I usually let them pile up, then I get a really good gift card, or I apply the cash to my balance.

• Available Rates:

My favorite and most used card.

from Millville, NJ

Comments about Discover - Student More Credit Card:

Now obviously, I applied for this card my first year of college and three years later, I am still a loyal Discover member. I highly recommend this card for all students, since it has the best rate and it has the best rewards in my opinion. What I really liked about this card was that they didn't have any ridiculous fees for going over your credit limit or annual fee. The benefits change but you usually get a standard percentage back for things like gas, and then 5% back on things that are assigned as the 5% cash back category. I also like that you get rewards for shopping online. It's also nice that you can change the due date of your bill to a different day so that it lines up more conveniently for your schedule.

Customer Service
Customer service has been really great so far and is always willing to help explain any charges to you. They are always very courteous and understanding, especially to students who don't know what they are really doing when it comes to financial management.

• Available Rates:

Student card all the way.

from Elko, Nevada

Comments about Discover - Student More Credit Card:

When I turned 19 and went away to college, I knew that having a credit card other than some kind of store credit card would be important. I knew that I needed a card that I could use anywhere for any kind of emergency since I was going to be so far away from my parents and anyone who could easily financially help me. I talked with my parents and we had decided to apply for this card because we had looked at a lot of information on it and thought that it was a good program. I was approved with a low limit, $500 at first, but that was fine for me as I did not want to run myself into a crazy high amount of credit card debt. I used this card every now and then and always paid it off and soon they kept raising my limit. The interest rate was actually really low compared to other cards that are similar and the rewards add up quick and are a very nice perk. This is a very good card and perfect for a student who needs some kind of credit card to have for an emergency, just be careful and don't get yourself into a ton of debt while in college.

Perfect for College Students Building Credit

Comments about Discover - Student More Credit Card:

Soon after I turned 21, I realized that I was nearing that time when I would need credit for a lot of major life goals of mine, but I had no credit to begin with. I began receiving Discover student card applications in the mail, and eventually I decided to sign up and see if I would be approved. A few weeks later, I had a nice shiny new credit card in the mail, along with a relatively low APR and 0% interest for six months.

Discover is really a great company for college students. Six months of 0% interest is awesome, and after that as long as you can pay your bill off each month you'll be fine. Since I paid off my loan each month, I received a credit limit raise about eight months after I signed up for the card. There is no annual fee, which is another added benefit.

Discover has a great reward system too. You earn 1% cashback on all purchases, and 5% cashback within certain categories during each quarter. When I first signed up the 5% cashback was on gas, which was really beneficial. The only downside is that you have to remember to sign up for the 5% cashback offers, but even this is really easy. And they randomly sent me a Starbucks gift card last month as well- no complaints about that!

I also like that Discover now provides your FICO credit score on each statement, so you can see the credit progress that you are making or to check for inaccuracies.

Overall, I would definitely recommend Discover for students.

• Available Rates:

Good card for students but pay attentiont to your statement

Comments about Discover - Student More Credit Card:

The Discover Student Credit Card was the first credit card I every got, and I would recommend it to other responsible college students looking to starting building their credit and have a convenient way to pay for all of the expenses that go along with your new independent life.

The Good: The card has no annual fees and it offers 6 months of interest free purchases. There was a sign up incentive when I got my card (don't remember exact amount). You earn 1% cash back on all of your purchases, and each quarter you can enroll to earn 5% cash back in certain categories (like grocery stores, movie theaters, etc). Also, I think it is a good thing everyone gets a low-moderate credit limit to start out with that way you cannot charge a truly excessive amount that you cannot afford to pay back. Upon graduation, you can then get that limit increased if you have earned good credit.

The bad: Even though I was supposed to be earning 1% cash back on all purchases, my statements showed me only earning a fraction of that amount for several months. Eventually I contacted customer service and they fixed it for future purchases, but I lost out on the cashback I should have been owed from the beginning. Also, I hate that you can only redeem your cash back in certain increments ($25 I think). Finally, Discover is not as widely accepted as Visa for example, but it was only on a rare occasion that that was an issue for me.

Overall, as long as you are responsible and pay attention to your statements, I think that this is a good card for college students to earn some rewards money and start to build their credit.

I love this card!!

Comments about Discover - Student More Credit Card:

I have this credit card and I love it!! I use it on just about everything, so my rewards really rack up. So far I've received $100 in gift cards and I have enough for another $50 - I've had the card about 2 years now. I love that each quarter there's a new category to which you can earn 5% cash back on your purchases. (You typically earn 1% on every purchase.) I haven't had any bad experiences with Discover. I was overcharged on an online purchase a while ago and they took care of it for me right away, since the company I purchased from wasn't responding to my emails. Another great feature that I love is that you can set it up so that it automatically pays for your bill on a set day, so you don't have to worry about being late! Overall, I would definitely recommend this credit card! If you know someone with a Discover card, ask them to refer you - you both get $50! The process of application was really quick and easy.

My first credit card...

Comments about Discover - Student More Credit Card:

I got this card when I was 19 years old. I had ZERO credit other than like 6 months of making my car payment on time. The process it took to get this card was easy enough, I applied online and a customer service rep called me a week or two later to confirm my identity and ask some basic questions. About two weeks later, I had my card in the mail. It was really easy to order a secondary card (with a snazzy design) for my at the time fiancee'. When we split up it was equally easy to cancel his card! I've missed a few payments, which of course screwed with my credit, and I had to pay a $35 late fee. One of the reasons I give this card an 8/10 is because I travel to Florida quite often because I have family there, but using my card that I've only used in NC sent red flags to their fraud department. While I appreciate them looking out for me, I did not appreciate them freezing all use of my card until they could verify with me that the charges were legit. Especially since this was on a weekend and they don't call you on the weekend to verify. I figured that I had just spend more on gas than I had realized. The cash back option is awesome if you really need cash fast, but the interest rate on the cash back is a little high, but like I said, if you're in a jam and need money, its awesome! Another issue I have is Discover still isn't accepted everywhere, and it gets a little embarrassing when you go out to eat and the restaurant doesn't accept your card. I think this is a great first card, it helped me build up my credit. Oh, and the cash back program is AWESOME!!

Customer Service
Service reps are friendly and knowledgeable.

Great card for students!

Comments about Discover - Student More Credit Card:

This was my first credit card I applied to. I had virtually no credit and was approved for only a small credit limit. I used my Discover card periodically and paid off the balance. Discover slowly began to increase my credit limit up to 4x as much as it originally was. This was just done automatically because of my payment history, without me having to request it. This Discover More Credit Card was great in that it allowed me to build my credit history.

Discover cards are also great because you can earn cash back (1-5%) on every purchase. You can then use this cash back directly on Amazon.com which is a really nice feature that other credit card companies do not use. I think Discover has one of the better reward programs out there. In addition, Discover cards have a cash over feature where you can get cash back at grocery stores and they will be treated as purchases, instead of cash advances. This is probably my favorite feature about my student credit card.

Discover also has a great website that is easily navigable. I have never had any problems with my card or needed to contact customer service. My Student More card came with spending analysis for free which was also very useful. You can also add on features such as a monthly credit score.

Overall I recommend this to students looking to build credit history.