2.3

2.3

Pros

Cons

• Shipping and Returns:

Dining Dough Works for Me!

I received a Dining Dough Gift Card for $100.00 and have now used it 4 different times without any hassle. I chose restaurants within 5 miles and there were many - because Seattle loves to go out to eat! Before you redeem your "certificate" they ensure that you understand the rules associated with the purchase and even though there is some out-of-pocket cash, I have saved $25.00 each time on dinner. That's $25.00 I saved while having a great time!

Dining Dough... I may get some dough to dine at some point!

A very nice person gave me a free $25 credit for **Dining Dough** and I was very excited.  I love free stuff and I especially love free food!  So you can imagine my disappointment when various things went wrong with this site.

**How it SHOULD work**Hypothetically speaking, you get a certificate from someone for this website.  You go to DiningDough.com, enter your certificate number, and you now have Credits available in your account.  Step two is to look for restaurants in your local area to spend your credits.  You'll "purchase" a gift certificate to be used at that restaurant.  Sounds nice, doesn't it?  Well it is nice of the people who sent it and I'm sure they didn't mean to cause so much trouble but... there was trouble... Let's go down my list of cons...

**Site Errors**Various times while searching for restaurants the site either froze up on me or went to an error page.  I had to start over a dozen times just to search for restaurants.  This was very frustrating especially since....

**There are not many popular choices**Ok, so there were 97 results in my area... but only 2 were restaurants I have ever been to!  I've heard of a few of the others but I wasn't super interested in going to them.  I was amazed that there weren't any popular or chain restaurants on the list, only local ones.  Lucky for me, the 2 restaurants that I have been to were restaurants I liked, so I was going to settle for one of them even though they had....

**Rules!**I soon found out the certificates weren't like pure gift cards.  They had rules.  At both my restaurants of choice I would have to spend at least $35 in order to use it which is $10 more than the gift cert covers.  Well, these two restaurants are fairly inexpensive, so to spend $35 means ordering food I don't really want just to get to that price!  One of the restaurants I was considering said "minimum 4 people". That's a little bit... dumb.  But I still was happy for the free $25 and was willing to cash in.  Here we go!  But wait!  Another problem was...

**They ran out of certificates!**I had been on the site for about an hour shopping around and making sure there were 0 other choices for me.  I then went back to the two restaurants to find I could no longer purchase each of them because they now said that they had no more certificates left (for either restaurant) and that they always get more at the first of the month... are you kidding me?  They sold out of both restaurants in my area in an hour??  Geez!   So I waited....

**and I couldn't Redeem!!**January 2, 2008 - Well it wasn't quite the first of the month but it was close enough and both restaurants did now have certificates available.  I decided not to waste another minute and added one to my cart.  I went to check out, got through the first few steps ok, and then it got stuck.  It said "your order is being processed" and that I should see the confirmation page in 60 seconds.  However every 10 seconds this page just refreshed.... over and over... for 20 minutes!  I tried again 3 times with the same result.  This wasn't going anywhere, so I went ahead and emailed their customer service.

**As if by magic**A few hours later I happened to check my email and lo-and-behold I had a confirmation from Restaurant.com (which apparantly is where Dining Dough really comes from) that said here was my certificate and it actually appears to be there!  Let's hope this works.

**In the end!**I'm still grateful for the free $25 but I don't know if it was worth all the hassle.  I'd rather get a rule-free $25 gift card, OR even a credit for GiftCertificates.com which has more things you can redeem for.  So if you are looking to send someone an online gift certificate, look somewhere besides Dining Dough!

Dining Dough surprised me.

from Florida

Comments about DiningDough.com:

I had the opportunity to use a gift card from Dining dough recently and was pleasantly surprised about how good it was.

I had a $200 gift card to Dining dough and have used it multiple times and have had no issues with the website, or using my gift card. I had heard some negative things before jumping in and doing it, but am glad that I did take the plunge and do it.

It's a great website and I will be using it again. I would definitely recommend other people to at least try it out, you have nothing to Loose.

The website was easy to use as well as my gift cards.

Product Selection
I was surprised by how great there product selection actually is. They have a bunch of options.

Customer Service
I have had to contact customer service a few different times and have always gotten very helpful, respectful and sweet people.

Shipping and Returns
I have never had any problems with returns or shipping. They have always done exactly what they said they would.

Difficult to Use

from Utah

Comments about DiningDough.com:

I had the opportunity to receive some certificates to use on diningdough.com. They need to be entered on the website and then traded in for a gift card to a specific restaurant, selected from a choice of several restaurants. To me, it's more of a hassle than it is worth. If I want to give someone a gift card for a restaurant, I will just give them one to a specific restaurant that I know they like, and I would prefer if they did the same for me. That is a lot simpler than going through the hassle of getting a gift certificate to here, only to turn around and need to trade it in for another gift certificate. After going through the process, I can easily say I don't want to do it again and do not plan to keep using this site.

Product Selection
When I used mine, Red Lobster was available, which is what I was looking for. But they also rotate what restaurants are available, so the same ones won't always be there when you go back again.

Beware of restrictions

from Pittsburgh, PA USA

Comments about DiningDough.com:

Diningdough.com is a portal to the main restaurant.com gift certificate site. You can get some good deals, but almost all of their deals have fine print giving a lot of restrictions. First and foremost, it isn't like groupon or living social where once you have the certificate you can take it directly to the restaurant. You can't take a dining dough voucher anywhere but the restaruant.com/dining dough website. You have to enter the certiciate number and then ou are bale to redeem the voucher for one of the restaurants listed. With most of the restaurants, there is a minimum purchase required. So you purchase a $10 gift certificate, but you need to spend at least $25 in order to use it. It is basically paying money for a coupon rather then actually having a gift certificate. There are often restrictions on what will count towards the bill total as well. In many cases, you have to buy two entrees instead of just being able to order whatever you want off the menu. You really want to stay away if you are someone who will dine alone. Sometimes they require two diners, not just purchasing two entrees. On top of all that, many times the restaurants featured are ones that often have coupons in deal books like the Entertainment Books where you paid one low price for the discount. You can find some good deals, but for the most part, you are better off just sticking with coupons or using vouchers like Groupon.

Product Selection
I was expecting there to be a wider variety of restaurants, especially in the city.

Dining Dough is a Restaurant.Com voucher

from Pacifica, CA

Comments about DiningDough.com:

There's a lot of whining in this thread, but it's not justified. Dining Dough is just a portal to Restaurant.com (you can enter Restaurant.com gift certificate numbers at diningdough.com, which saves you a click) and Restaurant.com has been a really good deal for me. They used not to do a good job of tracking your account, but they've fixed that; unlike Groupon or Living Social etc. the vouchers never expire, and nowadays you can easily swap one for another. Yes, you can only visit each restaurant once a month, and you have to spend maybe $37.50 to cash in your $25 credit (net $12.50, + tip), and 18% or whatever of the undiscounted bill may have been more than you wanted to tip (the amounts are set by the restaurant, btw, not restaurant.com), but you have a $25 credit that only cost you maybe $4 (list $10, but you should have a stock your purchased when they sent you codes for being on their email list; for a while they were giving codes that got it down to $2, iirc, but they cut back on that), so a $100 Dining Dough voucher enables you to save circa $16 four times, and that's sweet. I'm usually amazed at how little I've actually paid for the dinner I, and my companion, have just eaten. And I wouldn't go out nearly as often if it weren't so cheap.

Related to Restaurant.com!

Comments about DiningDough.com:

I am not a huge fan of the Dining Dough and Restaurant.com programs. I have tried a few places but all in all the choices you get are lacking. Dining Dough credits jump you directly to the same places available as Restaurant.com with no differences I can see. You redeem your "gift card" or "gift certificate" for a gift certificate to a dining establishment. Each one has stipulations on lunch or dinner, amount you must spend total...meaning you are always spending out of pocket, along with the tip. Some even have an 18% gratuity charge tacked on automatically. Most range in price like get $20 off a $35 purchase, Get $5 off $10 so on. In the end game you do end up saving money bit it is certainly not advisable as a type of gift as it is not used like a real gift certificate or gift card it is more like a coupon. Once you have eaten there you will get a quick survey via your email to rate the experience, yet there is no where for you to write rants or raves, you would have to go to another website for critic review to have that ability. Great for date nights with the significant other, family dinners, and just to save money but not a true savings or reward.

Poorly designed site

Comments about DiningDough.com:

I got a bunch of Dining Dough coupons from some timeshare like presentation I went to.
They were billed as "giftcards"
But that isn't true. They are not gift cards - you have to spend something like 35-40 dollars to get 25 off. This was my first irritation.
My second irritation was in the fact that the site was impossibly slow and difficult to navigate. I am pretty darn internet savvy, so I can make my way around most websites. Not with this one - it took forever and made me pretty frustrated.
I also can't help but to feel that they are up to something suspicious - the fact that I got my card at a timeshare presentation is shifty enough, but the place where I spent it, it was met with confusion and apparent distress from the employees. So maybe they don't do the restaurant a justice by offering this?
Either way, I did get a super cheap meal. If I got one of these again, I would obviously use it.

Just a cheap gimmick to get you inside

Comments about DiningDough.com:

We received $175.00 worth of Dining Dough coupons when we signed up for a promotion to join a time share camping club. We later cancelled our membership, but were told we could keep the coupons. Since we were planning an extended vacation we decided to use them along the way to offset the costs of dining out. Just finding a listed restaurant that takes them was a chore. We traveled over 4500 miles through 8 states and only managed to use 1 of the several that I printed out. That one was a place I would not return. Several were not even open anymore. Most of the places that do take the things are either pizza joints or oriental buffets. Almost all are in cheesy neighborhoods. I have searched repeatedly around home since returning and have found nothing so far that I would waste my time on. My advice to you is that if you are offered these coupons or any others from Restaurant.com as promotions, run away as fast as you can.

Biggest Ripoff I've seen

Comments about DiningDough.com:

Bought a package with travelzoo including 2 tickets to a movie and $100 of dining dough. Well, you can't use the full amount of gift certificates on a restaurant unless you want to pay DOUBLE what the gift certificate is worth, ie, $10 forces you to pay 20, $25 forces you to pay fifty. So basically, you have to pay out the rear if you want to utilize the gift certificates. Complete waste of money.

dining dough is a scam

Comments about DiningDough.com:

I was soo disappointed to find out that my "gift card" was not even close to giving me a free meal at a good restaurant. Between the restrictions of "minimum purchase" which was 1 1/2 times the certificate price and the selection of a whopping 10 pizza places in a 20 mile range this was totally useless to me and I won't be using their "cards" for anything other than to flick into the garbage can. What a waste!

Surprised by the poor reviews...

Comments about DiningDough.com:

We received 4 x $25 gift certificates as a gift. Went online to redeem them, as instructed on the reverse side of the certificate. Selected the restaurants we could choose from that subscribe to this offer, and were able to select according to our preferences - by popularity, by price, by distance from our lodgings, etc. There were hundreds of choices. A person is able to select several restaurants for one certificate, for example, if a business only offers $5 or $10 dollars off a meal, you can select two for $10 and another for $5 for the $25 total, and you can mix up the businesses. We selected a $15 certificate for a seafood restaurant for dinner, as well as a $10 certificate for a pizza place for lunch, to use up one $25 certificate. I didn't have to print the coupon - I didn't have a data plan while traveling so I took pictures of the certificate on my laptop with my phone, showed the waiter/waitress when we first came in, and it was immediately put towards my purchase. Was I grateful to be spending $10 dollars on a meal that would have cost me $35??? YES! Of course. All the people on here grumbling should have their heads examined. Seriously! You can't even buy the groceries to make the food at home for that price. Even with a 15% tip (I believe in tipping if the service is good), you still only pay $15.25, which is still less than half what you would have paid at full price.

Had no issues whatsoever with the site freezing, not redirecting, printing (or saving to pdf file, which I did to take the picture). Works just fine.