Other Dog Foods:
Dry Dog Food
Diamond
Diamond Dry Dog Food (All Varieties)

Diamond Dry Dog Food (All Varieties)

Pros

Cons

My dogs really love Diamond Naturals and so do I

I want to add my thumbs up to Diamond Naturals Lamb and Rice formula. My dogs really like this food. I was using another brand but when I switched to Diamond Naturals Lamb and Rice formula my dogs loved it. One of my three dogs is allergic to corn so I have to choose foods with no corn in them. Diamond Naturals have no corn, no wheat and no soy. Some of the other Diamond lines of food do have corn so be careful to select Diamond Naturals line of foods. My dogs all have good appetities, good coats and have been healthy. I have also fed them Diamond Naturals Senior Chicken, Egg and Oat formula for a change of pace. It also has no corn, no wheat and no soy. I have used more expensive lamb and rice formula dog foods from other companies but my dogs say this one tastes better. I know because they eat it up instead of letting it sit and begging for people food. As soon as I opened the bag and filled their bowl they went right for this food. They had no stomach troubles or allergies related to this food. I am very happy with this line of dog food and my try some of the other flavors..or rather I may have my dogs try some of the other varieties.

Questionable quality of ingredients.

I had an older 12 year old German Shepherd and decided to switch her food from Nutro Natural Choice for Seniors to the Diamond brand. Because of my tight budget at that time, I was trying to find a less expensive but quality food I could change her over to.  The Diamond Brand  had been recommended to me by someone who breeds German Shepherds and after reading the ingredient list, it seemed to be an acceptable dog food. However, after feeding it to her for a  short time, she began having digestive problems.  I would hear her stomach gurgling at night after going to bed for the evening and it just seemed to be getting worse as the weeks went by.  I took her to the vet, and it was decided to change her diet to Science Diet for Sensitive Stomachs. Although her symptoms could have several different causes, the easiet to fix would be a dietary change. After switching her diet over, the sysmptoms stopped and she was back to normal.   However, since Science Diet for Sensitive Stomachs did not come in the Senior Diet, I decided to put her back on the Nutro Natural Choice for Seniors since there had not been any problems at all when she was eating that.  So, I did put her back on the Nutro for Seniors and she lived out the remainder of her days, another 2 years, with no more gastric upsets.

She ate the Diamond for about 7 months before  the problem was resolved by just going back to a food that was better for her.

Something else to consider about "Meat" being the  number one ingredient, is the water content of fresh meat. The percentage of water in fresh meat is fairly high, and so the actual meat content may not be as high as you might think as water weighs a lot.  Meat meal, however,  is to the best of my understanding, meat that has had the water removed and would therefore provide a greater amount of meat protein by weight as the weight of the water has been eliminated.

All Diamond foods are not exactly alike.  A variety that they make that is reasonably priced that I believe is better in quality is Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul.  It is a  holistic type of food, and I belive made with better quality ingredients.  After my old Shepherd passed away at age 14, I adopted another Shepherd from a shelter the very same week that I lost my beloved Gypsy. Two more dogs soon joined the family, and they all  have done well  on Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul.

UPDATE: The 2012 Diamond pet food recall included Chicken Soup for the Pet Lovers Soul, both cat and dog varieties made in the Gaston, SC plant. Two of my three dogs in the original review got sick when eating this food shortly before the recall had been made and I also got sick at this same time. Since the recall had not yet taken place, my Vet didn't know to check for salmonella and I thought I had a case of super flu. By the time the recall took place, much of the damage was done not only to me and my pets, but to many other people and their furbabies. My pets survived and so did I although Gretta was hit the hardest and never got back to the way she was and it's now been a year and a half since this happened. The Chicken Soup for the Dog/Cat Lovers Soul varieties are supposedly some of the higher quality holistic Diamond foods but they are made in the same unsanitary conditions as all the others. The ingredient list sounds impressive, but a list of impressive holistic ingredients doesn't give a clue as to the conditions under which this food is made. I also found that some non-Diamond brands are outsourced for manufacture in Diamond plants. If Diamond had just tested their food BEFORE it left the manufacturing plant, this salmonella outbreak could have been stopped before it made people and their pets sick. It is my understanding that Diamond has had more pet food recalls than any other brand. EVERY DAY SINCE THE SPRING OF 2012 I'VE HAD TO LOOK AT MY GRETTA AND SEE THE CONDITION SHE'S IN BECAUSE OF THIS FOOD - BECAUSE I WANTED TO FEED HER AND MY OTHERS A HOLISTIC "HEALTHY" FOOD!!!! I AM THROUGH WITH DIAMOND!!!!!!!!

Flavor Selection
It's not always obvious which brands Diamond makes and some non-Diamond brands have been outsourced for manufacture in Diamond plants. Read the small print on the back of the bag. Contact the brand you feed your pets to make sure it's not being outsourced to Diamond for manufacture. Diamond has had the most recalls of any other brand.

Good Stuff

from Reedsport, Oregon

About Me Long-time Pet Owner

Pros

• Dog Likes It
  • Easy To Digest
  • Good Value
  • Improves Coat
  • Nutritional
  • Tasty

Cons

• Active Dogs

Comments about Diamond Dry Dog Food (All Varieties):

Our mini-aussie loves this food and has eaten it since he was 3 months old and is now 1.5 years old. He never has digestion problems (never has gas either) he is healthy, has beautiful teeth, shiny coat (and lots of it) he is playful and energetic and very smart. We just keep his food bowl filled and he eats when he is hungry and never over eats. He always has firm stools and does not gets sick to his stomach and no stomach noises at all. We love the outcome of using the Diamond Naturals Grain-Free CHICKEN & SWEET POTATO FORMULA and Laddie does too.

Healthy dog food

Comments about Diamond Dry Dog Food (All Varieties):

I have recently switched to Diamond Naturals Lamb and Rice formula from another (way more expensive) brand. It is extremely hard to find a dog food that my dogs find good and is good for them. Luckily, both my will-eat-anything-that-resembles-food dog and my picky-pokey dog enjoy Diamond Naturals.
    The food is made with all-natural ingredients. None of the formulas contain corn (or the dreaded corn meal), wheat, or soy. Keeping fillers like that out of my dogs food means I can feed them less and still be confident that they are getting all the nutrients they need. It also means that there is less waste (and less clean-up!) after digestion.
    The lamb and rice formula has natural fiber in it to help keep my dogs stomachs in tip-top shape. The food also contains Omega fatty acids that help keep dogs skin healthy and their fur shiny. My babies look and feel better than they did with the other food.

• Flavor Selection:

Excellent for our beagle, we use the variety with gluclosemine.

Comments about Diamond Dry Dog Food (All Varieties):

Diamond Dry Dog Food with glucosemine has helped our beagle tremendously. Her joints were aging and we started her on this variety and she is peppier than ever. She loves the taste and my husband loves the ingredients in it for her. We very much enjoy her eagerness to play now, rather than just sitting around.

Quality of Ingredients
    Great for any dog. Our beagle seems to enjoy it very much. My husband will not buy any other dog food variety. Before we started to use Diamond Dry Dog food our beagle used to dump her dish out to let us know she did not like it. Now she empties her dish every time we feed her.

Flavor Selection
    Quite a few flavors to select from, so our beagle can get a variety. She seems to like it very much and does not leave any when she is fed. The variety with glucosemin in it has smaller pieces, which I think she like even better. Used to let us know she did not like a variety by dumping her dish, but now she empties her dish each and every time.

• Flavor Selection:

High Performance is very good and has meat as first ingrediant.

Comments about Diamond Dry Dog Food (All Varieties):

Ok my dogs, I have three of them, are very picky about what they eat. I use to get a store brand dog food. They starved themselves and refused to eat it. Then I purchased the big named dog foods. Still nothing. Then I started reading up on dog foods and which would be the best without breaking the bank. I found Diamond High Performance and haven't looked back since. My dogs love it and I feel good about it cause it's good for them. It has meat as the first ingredient. I need to post a picture of all them waiting in line for the food bowl. While one eats the other two sit in a line and wait. I can even hand feed it to them like a treat they love it so much. It is very reasonable in price as it is alot less than the ones that advertise their the best. I don't know how it taste personally but the way my dogs love it it must taste something good.

Quality of Ingredients
    Very good. Like I have said before meat is the first ingredient and that is the most important.

Flavor Selection
    They have different flavors for all types of dog flavor palettes

• Flavor Selection:

Rice and Lamb dog food (for adult dogs)

Comments about Diamond Dry Dog Food (All Varieties):

After being unable to find Pride brand dog food, I tried a couple of different kinds. They all seemed to upset his stomach. A pet store owner recommended Diamond brand. I have tried all the diamond brands, and all are well digested by my dog. He is currently eating the lamb and rice for adult dogs.

• Flavor Selection:

Good quality dog food for low price

Comments about Diamond Dry Dog Food (All Varieties):

My dogs coats looked really good on this dog food, and their breath did not really stink with it. I would still be using this dog food if one of my dogs was not allergic to eggs. The current food they are eating now makes their breath smell and their coats do not look or feel as nice. I just wish their food was egg free, which is nothing to hold against them. My other dog, who has no allergies, did great on this food.
    The main ingredients are meat which is important for good nutrition. Out of the high quality dog foods you can get, this is one of the more reasonably priced dog foods. My dogs personally loved the flavored.

Quality of Ingredients
    The main ingredient is meat not corn or wheat. There is no corn in the dog food like so many big brand dog foods have.

Flavor Selection
    This food comes in 3 different flavors. Chicken, lamb and beef. There is also a puppy and senior and adult food as well. My dogs tried all three flavors before I realized the food allergy and loved them all.

• Flavor Selection:

My picky eaters love this dog food..It's wonderful

Comments about Diamond Dry Dog Food (All Varieties):

Diamond dog food has wholesome ingredients, flavor variety and makes a formula for all life stages, which is why it makes it to the top on my recommendation list . Considering that I have a puppy and an adult dog that are both picky eaters, and I want to give them a variety that will keep them healthy and satisfied, I feel I have finally found something we all like.

Quality of Ingredients
    Grain Free. Chicken & Sweet Potato formula. Because my dogs are so picky, I make a lot of my own dog food, and I like the fact that Diamond uses the same type (if not even better) ingredients that I would use myself. They use real meat for superior taste and nutrition, and sweet potatoes or rice provide complex carbohydrates. They also add other wonderful ingredients like flaxseed, blueberries and raspberries, for optimal health and vitality. My picky eaters just couldn't get enough of it.

Flavor Selection
    I have only tried the Chicken and Sweet Potato flavor, but they have many flavors to choose from. I can't wait to try them all. Looking forward trying the Lamb and Rice, Beef Meal and Rice and also the Chicken and Rice flavors.

• Flavor Selection:

Amazing food for dogs with sensitive stomachs.

Comments about Diamond Dry Dog Food (All Varieties):

My dogs love this food. They both have very sensitive stomachs and got sick with almost every other brand. Our dogs are miniature schnauzers.

Quality of Ingredients
    Great ingredients this is the only thing we feed our dogs and they are very healthy.

Flavor Selection
    Very good flavor selection our dogs love it.

• Flavor Selection:

Questionable quality of ingredients.

from Steele, AL

• Flavor Selection:

Expensive but worth it - no waste - helps control shedding.

from Hastings, MN

Comments about Diamond Dry Dog Food (All Varieties):

We have been feeding this to my 2 large breed shepard dogs for years. Yes it is expensive, but after trying other brands we find this to be the better dog food. When we use other brands the dogs really shed, but it seems like when we stay on the diamond it is not nearly as bad. There is no waste - they love the taste! Our cats like it too. We catch them in the dogs' food dish eating it all the time. The label doesnt say anything about helping with the shedding - it is just our observation and experience with this dog food. Also, (this is gross but true) they don't seem to be going to the #2 bathroom alot. I mean they go, but not at all like with the other brands. Anyway, we use the maintainance formula.