Other Insurance Companies:

Delta Dental

Pros

Cons

• Available Plans:

No problems With Delta Dental!

Comments about Delta Dental:

My husband's company provides the coverage for all of us, so we weren't in a situation where we shopped around and made our own decision as to dental care insurance providers. With that being said, I have had no problems for myself, or any of my family members when it comes to Delta's insurance coverage.
They are prompt in dealing with our insurance claims, and the quality of coverage is good, keeping it affordable to keep up on everything from routine dental cleanings to fillings to wisdom teeth removal.

Customer Service
I've had to have a few insurance authorized procedures preformed by my dentist and Delta responded to the request very quickly. I like this aspect of their customer service. I am also pleased with how quickly they process the dental insurance claims submitted to them.

Available Plans
My husband's employer Chose Delta Dental for their employees, and while we didn't choose our specific plan, I am quite satisfied with the one we were given. The coverage is good and thorough, and the plan they chose has worked perfectly for us.

Nothing but problems!

from Elko, Nevada

Comments about Delta Dental:

My husband had Delta Dental through his employer and we had never really used it for anything other than a cleaning when I got a horrible toothache and had to be seen at the dentist. I had an infection in the root of my tooth caused by a deep cavity and had to have a root canal to get the pain to go away and everything taken care of. I went to the dentist and gave them my insurance and we did the root canal and ordered the crown. They only paid half for the root canal and crown so I paid the other half with my debit card that day so that I would not have any payments. I went back a week later to get my crown put on and they told me that my insurance denied everything. I called the insurance and they did not even have me on the plan! My name was on the card and I had the insurance but they kept arguing that I didn't. I had to pay the full amount for everything that day, over $2000 between the two, and then the fight was on with the Dental insurance. It took me six months and talking to multiple supervisors before they finally admitted they were at fault and sent me a check for the half they were supposed to pay. It became such a nightmare and they were so hard to deal with, it all did finally get resolved but just having to go through all of that was horrible

The Best Dental Coverage

Comments about Delta Dental:

I love this Delta Dental plan and have had it for my family for years. The yearly cost for this plan for a family of 3 is much less than each of us having one cleaning a year. I could not live without this and hope they never discontinue the plan I have. It covers all routine cleanings and pays 50% of all major work with small copays for fillings. It also has no maximum per year where most plans have a max of $1000. I have never had any problems using this plan, but it has been hard trying to find a participating provider in my area, which I finally found one we all love. This plan is great for children as well as adults. But there is only a small coverage for orthodontics on this plan which I could not find a local provider for, so I was unable to use it.

Customer Service
I will give them a 10 only because after all the years of having this plan, I've never had to contact them for any reason.

Available Plans
I don't know what other plans they have available, but the one I have is the best dental plan I've ever had.

• Available Plans:

Delta Dental--so much better than most plans

from Sacramento, CA

Comments about Delta Dental:

I have had Delta Dental insurance since 1990 and have never hand any problem or issue with service, reimbursement or customer issues. The dentists in the network have always been extremely competent and caring. When I have needed to see a specialist, the plan coverage has been good and I have not had any reason to have difficulty with billing or approvals.

Since I have had this insurance for a very long time, I have moved several times. Finding a new network dentist has not been a problem. At each new location, the number of providers and specialists have been more than adequate. I have never waited an unusually long time for an appointment; and when I needed to see a specialist in a near-emergency circumstances, I was afforded an appointment the same day.

Additionally, I feel that they do a good job at providing informing materials. When there has been a plan change, I have been sent materials that are readable and understandable. In one instance, a Delta Dental representative has called me as a follow up to make sure I understood the plan changes. This type of customer service is rarely seen in medical plans.

Smile...this is my provider

Comments about Delta Dental:

Delta Dental is the dental provider for my company. They have been my family's provider for the last 14 years. I have nothing but good things to say about my provider. Delta Dental has excellent plan options with variable out pocket expenses and premiums. My plan coverage is a plan that is locked for 3 enrollment years so planning ahead for future needs is a must. This can be a challenge but has resulted in lower premiums. Delta Dental is a provider for many the dentist offices in my town.

Customer Service
My interactions with Delta Dental have mainly been correspondence via mail and on their website.

Available Plans
Delta Dental offers me multiple different plan options with different levels of coverage. My only complaint is that I have to lock in my plan for 3 years of enrollment. This does make planning ahead very important. They are a provider for my preferred dentist in my area. I would recommend them.

Decent dental insurance company

from Amherst, MA

Comments about Delta Dental:

We have had many different dental insurance companies through the years and I feel like they have all been pretty decent in terms of staying exactly within the rules of what our employers company has signed up for. For instance when the insurance company refused to pay the upcharge for porcelain fillings it isn’t so much Delta Dental’s fault as much as what the employer was willing to pay for when they purchased the plan. So even when my current Delta Dental of Virginia insurance doesn’t pay for fluoride treatments for the kids after they turn 18 and they won’t cover anything for me on a tooth that is bothering me and fluoride might help, it turns out that it isn’t something to whine to Delta Dental about but rather I need to whine to my employer about it because that is all the coverage they purchased with the plan. (It is a pain though, and the larger the employer, the harder it is to find someone to whine to that cares and can make changes). I have found that Delta Dental of Virginia is pretty good with the claims and pays in a reasonable time frame.

Available Plans
I have never had a choice, employers rarely offer choices in dental plans

Very pleased

from Galveston, TX

Comments about Delta Dental:

I have used delta dental for four plus years and have been very pleased. My husband and I both use delta dental and have had a wide variety of dental services performed at a delta dental provider in out town. We have filed claims for regular cleanings, x-rays, root canal and crowns and have never had any issue with the billing, it has always been correct. We have never had to contact delta dental with a complaint and my coworkers who all have Delta dental like it as well. The Dentist in my town that take Delta dental are limited but it seem like the ones that do are the best in town, ours certainly is. I find there prices to be fine though I wish children below the ages of 8 had a discount. The price to insure my four year old was rather high considering I only need to get his teeth cleaned and I do not expect that he will need much dental work on his baby teeth. I find the adult prices to be very competitive.

Best dental insurance I've had

Comments about Delta Dental:

Good dental insurance is hard to find because most dental insurance companies barely cover anything beyond teeth cleaning or pay extremely small percentages. I had to have my wisdom teeth taken out recently and I was worried about how much it would cost because so many insurance companies don't cover that but I ended up paying less than $500 out of pocket and the rest was covered by Delta. My oral surgeon charged $525 per tooth (I had all 4 removed) and charged for 45 minutes of anesthesia which was several hundred dollars extra. When everything was totaled up it cost almost $3,000 so I was very happy to only have to pay $500 instead of the full bill. They also have great coverage for teeth cleanings. I usually only pay around $50 out of pocket when I get my teeth cleaned.

Customer Service
I've only contacted their customer service one time but my concern was handled very promptly.

Available Plans
The premium plan is the best because it covers a large percentage of visits and does't cost that much extra, but all of their plans are great and you can easily customize your coverage.

• Available Plans:

Dental insurance never covers much, but Delta does ok

from Saint Paul, MN

Comments about Delta Dental:

Delta dental only covers the basics.  I have perfect teeth, no cavities, so I only need twice yearly teeth cleanings and nothing more.  My husband however, gets frequent cavities and has a bridge he needs replaced about every five years.  The last time he had his bridge replaced, we had to pay $2500 out of pocket because our coverage only goes up to $1000 per year.  What's worse, the procedure was at the end of the year and my husband had already had two teeth cleanings, so we had to essentially pay $300 out of pocket for those.  Dental insurance is worth it up to a point, but I don't get it thought my employer because it's $30 per month.  That's more than the cost of two teeth cleanings per year.  I get it though my husband's employer for $8 per month.  I recommend shopping between your employer and your spouse's and seeing if you can get yourself a better deal.  I suppose I would recommend Delta dental, but I'm not jumping up to do it.