Other Cold & Flu Medicines:

Delsym 12 Hour Cough Suppressant

Pros

Cons

amazing for asthma suffers

The only active ingredient in Delsym 12 Hour Cough Suppressant is Dextromethorphan Polistirex, which is meant to relieve coughs, and to be used as a cough suppressant. Its meant to give full 12...Read complete review

The only active ingredient in Delsym 12 Hour Cough Suppressant is Dextromethorphan Polistirex, which is meant to relieve coughs, and to be used as a cough suppressant. Its meant to give full 12 hour relief as well.

It comes in an orange or grape flavor. I picked the orange flavor. It wasn't great, but it did the job.

I have had asthma all my life and struggled from it. I typically use this for my asthma, because sometimes I coughing gets so bad that I can't do anything to stop it. My asthma especially gets bad in the winter, and most of the time I toss and turn trying to sleep because I can't get over my coughing...

The Delsym completely relieves my coughing due to asthma. It suppresses my coughing, and allows to sleep without waking up every few minutes. It works quickly too, so I can take this whenever I feel the coughing coming on.

I no longer have coughing due to asthma at nighttime or daytime because of Delsym, and I only have to take it once or twice a day. It's a miracle product. In conjunction with my inhaler I no longer feel like I am getting as many asthma attacks or feeling sick due to my asthma.

I haven't used this for colds, because I find when I have a cold I need a medicine that targets all symptoms and not just coughing. But I would say if you have asthma this is amazing.

Congestion Relief
It doesn't have any ingredients in it to help with nasal or chest congestion. This works best for coughing and nothing else.

Chest Congestion Relief
I found that it doesn't help with chest congestion at all, but I don't know if it's supposed to.

Relief of Aches & Pains
It relieves pain due to raw sore throats, and coughing. But it doesn't any ibuprofen or acetaminophen in it to help with real aches and pains.

Cough Suppression
The Delsym is a great 12 hour cough suppressant. All it's meant to do is suppress coughs, and it does a fantastic job at that. I feel like most of my coughing is gone for almost the whole twelve hours after taking it. I cough and cough all the time, and not with Delsym. It's much better then most if not all of the cough suppressing medicines I have tried over the counter.

My Child still coughs after taking it!

This Delsym Children's Cough Suppressant really doesn't work for my kids.  It doesn't completely suppress my kids's coughs that well.  And it surely doesn't last for 12 hours.  It doesn' work for the thick mucus filled coughs.  The real downer is that you can't take anything else for coughs after you've taken this.  And you don't know that this doesn't work for you until a couple hours of it doing nothing for you.  The taste isn't that bad, my kids who normally dread taking any type of liquidy medicine actually like this.  The flavor is pleasant and tolerable.  I think for this product to work, it really depends on what type of cough you have.  It obviously is not meant for mucus filled coughs.  Like the other reviewer here said, its "only for the dry hacking cough".  Why can't they make a product that takes care of a cough PERIOD??  Make sure you have the type of cough this product was intended for...misleading in my opinion.

amazing for asthma suffers

from Stroudsburg, PA

Doctor Recommended but Expensive

from Hartford, CT

Comments about Delsym 12 Hour Cough Suppressant:

There's nothing worse than a persistent cough. One that starts out as annoying, then causes aches in your throat, then chest, then back and ribs because you just can't stop coughing. Short of prescription relief, this is what my doctor has recommended for cough relief.

The bottle is small, and expensive. It does last a couple years in the cabinet, though, thankfully!

It's a citrus-y tasting liquid that works pretty quickly. It doesn't make them go away, but it really settles down the coughs, which helps avoid the pain associated with that persistent muscle contraction. I wouldn't say it lasts 12 hours - I would try to hold out 8 before re-dosing, but it does work fairly well. This product doesn't have any alcohol in it as opposed to many of the other popular cough suppressant liquids. Between its effectiveness and it being alcohol free, it's our cough suppressant of choice despite the price.

• Cough Suppression:

Do not use with Asthmatics....will not relieve the coughing.

from Orange County, Ca

Comments about Delsym 12 Hour Cough Suppressant:

I used Delysm 12 hour cough suppressant on my daughter before she was diagnosed with Seasonal Asthma. The Urgent Care Dr recommended that I buy Delsym as it will relieve her coughing at night. My daughter coughed for a period of four hours every night for weeks. I was desperate to find relief for my daughter as I tried everything under the sun to prevent her from coughing. After she was diagnosed with Seasonal Asthma, the Dr. gave me a nebulizer to relieve her coughing. He told me that cough syrup will do nothing to help children with asthma. I'm not sure if Delysm 12 Hour Cough Suppressant is effective with children who do not have asthma? The product is expensive so I would be advised by your Dr. if it will help your child?

Congestion Relief
My daughter's congestion never went away after taking Delsym 12 Hour Cough Suppressant.

Chest Congestion Relief
No relief of coughing for over a four hour period at night.

Cough Suppression
My daughter continued to cough throughout the night..no relief.

Awesome cough suppressant

Comments about Delsym 12 Hour Cough Suppressant:

Delsym cough syrup is a life saver! I work twelve hour shifts as a nurse, and some days Delsym is the only thing that gets me through. If I take it at the start of a shift it lasts until the end. Delsym cough suppressant is non-drowsy which is so convenient when it comes to taking it to suppress a cough at work. The taste of the cough medicine is a little gross, orange flavored, sort of a thick syrup, but also quite gritty. The strength of the suppression, and the ability for me to work with no cough is entirely worth it. The length of the suppression is also great for the overnight. I can give this to my children, they appreciate the sweetness of the syrup, and they can get a full nights sleep. A bottle lasts forever since you only need to take it once or twice a day, and the expiration dates are far enough out that I have never had an issue with using it before it expired. I would absolutely recommend this to anyone! Young or old!

• Cough Suppression:

Only one my family uses.

Comments about Delsym 12 Hour Cough Suppressant:

I have no idea how or why it works, but it does...every time! When you are sick and lie down, you have to cough and cough. This is the only cough medicine that allows me to get sleep without coughing. 12 hours every time! When I use it during the day, I find my coughs more productive as well. And it soothes my throat irritation from coughing! Great product! We keep it on hand all the time. I recommend it to friends and family all the time!

Congestion Relief
I've never had it lessen my head congestion, but it does not say it should!

Chest Congestion Relief
I don't really notice it lessening it, it may. My coughs seem more productive when I've had it during the day.

Relief of Aches & Pains
If you have hurt yourself coughing and have had trouble resting because of this, alleviating your coughing will definitely lessening your aches and pains!

Cough Suppression
Complete suppression of spasmodic dry, hacking coughing episodes. I can tell when it wears off without looking at the clock!

• Cough Suppression:

Works for the tough coughs in my house!

Comments about Delsym 12 Hour Cough Suppressant:

This is the only cough medicine I will use in my house now! It was recommended by my daughter's pediatrician. My daughter has a history of pneumonia, bronchitis, etc. and also has asthma. So we are very particular about which medicines she takes, particularly to relieve a cough. She typically gets a nasty cough with a cold, where she is coughing about every 30-60 seconds at night when she is laying down. This medicine allows her to sleep all through the night with no coughing, even lying flat on her back and sleeping normally. I find that it takes about an hour to 'kick in', but after that, her cough really calms down. Best thing is, it works for the whole family so that I'm not buying a bunch of different medicines. You can find coupons online to make it an even better deal. My reviews for congestion and cold are neutral, at 5, because that is not really what this medicine is for. But if you want a medicine that will get rid of a cough so you can sleep at night, this is the stuff!

ehh...NEXT!

Comments about Delsym 12 Hour Cough Suppressant:

Delsym 12 hour cough suppressant...12 hours you say? Not even close. The title is misleading. This cough suppressant doesn't really work well, maybe if the cough wasn't severe or have mucus forming. Other then that, it just doesn't work. When it says 12 hours I assume it suppresses the cough within those hours, but after letting a few hours setting in before taking it; it barely suppress the cough. I bought this for my little brother who was down with a nasty cough and he hates cherry/grape flavored medications, so I figured I buy this one for him. 3 hours set in and the medication wasn't even helping him, so we waited over 12 hours; none what so ever. The bottle is so small it's not even the worth the price for me. If the bottle was small and it had worked effectively I would understand; but it doesn't. Aside from that, this is only good for non-mucus coughs and non-severe. Go put your money on a better product.

Pliable Cough Suppressant

from Stillwater, OK

Comments about Delsym 12 Hour Cough Suppressant:

We just went through a bad case of flu. My kids were quite sick and they had very terrible cough. With no fever, the advice we got from our doctor is to drink lots of fluid, rest and wait until cough is gone. It is what we did during a day. At night I was giving my kids (5 and 8) Delsym 12 Hour Cough Suppressant. It was recommended to my by one of my friends. It has two active ingredients which are targeted to temporary relief cough. Unlike other cough suppressants, it does taste good. There is no horrible aftertaste. This is very important as my kids are always fighting me to get medicine. It taste like sugary syrup, but does not have the bitterness. It works also well. I am not sure about 12 hours, but it makes cough less bad for maybe 10 h. My kids still were coughing during the night, but it was not that bad and they did not even wake up. Overall, I would say Delsym 12 Hour Cough Suppressant is a good choice as it is pliable and kids do like it. Also it is efficient.

Congestion Relief
It kind of makes you cough a little bit more in the begging and then suppress it for 10 h

Chest Congestion Relief
Make it is easy to breath

Relief of Aches & Pains
I think it does not design to do this.

Cough Suppression
Good

• Congestion Relief:

Delsym

from Stafford, Virginia

Comments about Delsym 12 Hour Cough Suppressant:

I recently needed to take cough syrup and tried Delsym. It was great at suppressing coughs and making my throat better. It is strong and helps you feel better while ill, but I do think it is a bit overrated. I've heard great reviews of this medicine and although it is really strong, It could be better and relieving other symptoms.

Congestion Relief
It's alright at relieving congestion. It could be better but it is much better than other medicines.

Chest Congestion Relief
I felt hardly any chest congestion while taking this medication.

Relief of Aches & Pains
It was alright at relieving aches and pains. I also took pain relievers when needed because it wasn't strong enough to relieve aches and pains. My body was sore, tired, weak, and ached even after taking this medication.

Cough Suppression
I went from coughing every hour to barely coughing at all while taking this medication. My coughs eased up, and my throat started to feel better. It also made it easier to cough and relieved the pain associated with coughing.

• Cough Suppression:

Best cough relief without a prescription.

Comments about Delsym 12 Hour Cough Suppressant:

Nothing is worse than coughing and spreading your germs, but when you try to rest and cannot due to a cough, you feel even worse. Delsym is the only cough syrup that I have used that truly stops my families coughs.

Congestion Relief
Not a medicine designed to alleviate congestion, but by not coughing it prevents my sinuses and chest from hurting.

Relief of Aches & Pains
This cough syrup contains no anti-pyretics or analgesics. It is not designed to be a pain reliever, just a cough reliever. It does help prevent the aches and pains I get from constantly coughing. My chest, ribs and abdominal muscles do not nearly as bad as if I was coughing on a continual basis.

Cough Suppression
As a Registered Nurse I feel compelled to state that Delsym is simply a cough reliever. It works for 12 hours so I do not need to take a much medicine into my body when I am sick. Delsym does make mixtures that have congestion relief, and cold relief. I have never tried anything but regular Delsym and found it to perform the best for what it was created to do, which is stop my cough.