3.9
M1330
Dell XPS Notebook PC

Dell XPS Notebook PC

3.9

Solid, but a little flawed

I have owned over 6 Dell laptops over the last 12 years. Throw in a Sony Vaio, IBM ThinkPad and an HP Pavilion, and I still think one could call me a Dell loyalist. For the last five years I owned a Dell Latitude D400. In spite of the some of its speed/power issues, it was great for its size, weight, style and build quality.

So when it came time to retire the Latitude, I looked at the Dell XPS 1330. Given its weight, speed and price, plus all of its touted bells and whistles, it seemed like the logical choice.

**The System**:

XPS M1330, Matte Black Casing

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7500 (2.2GHz/800MhzFSB, 4M L2 Cache)

4GB, DDR2, 667MHz 2 Dimm

85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Additional Battery

Dell Wireless 400, Ultra Wide Band Card

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium

**Pros**:

Weight, speed, power, style and overall price all contribute to a high rating. The hi-def screen is especially attractive. Applications run fast, my wifi and wireless internet connection run especially fast (particularly in comparison to the Latitude's dying wireless driver - a major factor in its retirement). I also like the integrated DVD/CD and other flash media slots (all add-ons for the D400)

**Cons**:

Okay I am a little picky, but there were a few issues (not all of which were Dell's fault). Overall, I don't have the same solid feeling about the build quality of this machine that I did with the Latitude. Nothing has failed yet, and maybe it is the intention for a Home machine to be a little less robust. But I do think whether one is at home or at the office, a laptop needs to be tough. Specifically, the surfaces seem to be a little thin and flimsy (compared to MacBook), and there is no latch (the Latitude had one but it broke, so maybe no latch is the way to go). The shell coatings look like they may not react to well to the odd bump or ding...and on a personal note, shiny plastic emblems or trims are a bit of a turn off. On the substance side, lack of a docking station is a real oversight. Even in this wireless age, there are still accessories that require wires, unplugging each from the XPS gets a little tedious. You really want to click and go, that is kind of the point with a laptop. There is also no PCMCIA slot, admittedly and antiquated feature, but useful for other wireless cards and storage/transfer options. The fingerprint reader is a little fiddly; it is still easier to login via the keyboard.

Also a special mention on Vista - I am certain that I am not the first to say this, but why fix something that isn't broken? I was willing to keep an open mind, but providing greater integration with one's web experience isn't really worth the trade-off of having to learn where everything is on the system again. This also applies to the new Office Suite. Admittedly, it has some much nicer features and graphic effects (especially in PowerPoint), but hiding all the most used features is not very helpful or efficient. Oh well, that is a whole other review...

**Overall**

I like my XPS in spite of some nagging doubts about build quality and the lack of a docking station. It is light, quick and if you don't let people look too closely it still garners impressed looks and comments from colleagues and friends. The only other "missing" is a BluRay DVD (available on the 1530), but you can't have everything....at least not yet.

Lemon laptop with faulty hardware

This laptop was a lemon right out of the box. Thank God we bought the warranty.

This laptop was a lemon right out of the box. Thank God we bought the warranty.

Within moments of using it we got driver display issues. As an IT professional, I googled the issue and saw this was common with the NVidia video card provided with this laptop; the fan isn't big enough to cool it off, so it overheats and destroys the motherboard.

I called Dell for the first of many, many times.

The first time they had me reinstall the drivers I had already installed. They insisted this would fix it, and I insisted it wouldn't. They said to call back if it didn't work. 5 minutes after getting off the phone, the laptop had a display driver issue and crashed.

The second time I called, they sent out a technician to my house to replace the motherboard and the built-in videocard chipset, in addition to the laptop's screen. We were relieved... until a week later, when we got the same video display driver error and the computer crashed.

I called Dell again, and they sent out a tech again. Imagine my surprise when the same tech comes and... replaces the motherboard again. This will fix it, he tells us. No, actually it didn't. It crashed in 2 weeks.

I called Dell yet again, a little more irate this time. As usual, they wanted to 'troubleshoot' with the typical 'have you rebooted?' and 'can we get you to download the latest drivers?' BS that I'm way past at this point. After bypassing this, they send out the tech.

The tech... replaces... the motherboard. Again. For the third time. And when I ask the tech if it's a different motherboard, if there's anything different with it at all, he says no, it's not different. They're replacing one faulty motherboard with another. So go figure when the laptop crashes a week later.

We call again, and get the same 'can we get you to troubleshoot this?' mumbo jumbo. I ask to speak to a manager, and that the laptop is very obviously a lemon, so I would simply like a replacement. They refuse, but say they'll send out a tech who they PROMISE will NOT replace the motherboard.

The tech comes for the FOURTH TIME... to replace the MOTHERBOARD. Is this a joke to them? What's more, the tech brings an extra hard drive to put into the laptop 'in case the hard drive has a virus that's messing with the video card.' As an IT professional, I can tell you that this is garbage. The computer has been reimaged multiple times under my hand, and it most certainly did not have a virus. They were simply throwing parts at this thing blindly hoping it would fix it. And the motherboard, as stated before, was the exact same motherboard.

I asked the tech to use the laptop after he installed the motherboard. He used it for a grand total of 10 minutes before it crashed. He just shrugged and said I don't know, call Dell. So I did, and demanded a manager. They refuse to transfer to one, and insist that they can only have him call me back. He does, apologizes for the inconvenience, and says that he thinks it's an issue with the drivers and that I need to download the latest ones. I say I already did, this is garbage, and I want a new laptop. He says to download the drivers first, and that they're new drivers.

He e-mails me a link to the generic Dell drivers that were last updated August of 2008. Once again--is this a joke? I download them, install them to 'humor him,' and crash instantly after installing. I call back, and they have to have him 'call me back.' He calls back a full week later, only to finally concede to giving me a new laptop. Because at this point the laptop is no longer made (that's right, this has occurred without resolution for almost a full year to the point that the laptop isn't even sold anymore) they'll have to get us a different, upgraded model.

So we get an upgraded computer, but was it worth it?

Dell wasted SO much of their money to replace the screen, 4 motherboards, and a hard drive, certainly worth more than the computer itself.

We also had a computer for a full year that was basically unusable, and the whole purpose of getting it--for my wife, to use for her online classes--was all for nothing because she had to borrow mine.

Frankly, for all that trouble, I would have rather had the laptop we wanted and for it to work the way it should in the first place. I since that didn't happen, and some laptops are just lemons, I would have preferred a MUCH better customer service experience and less time chasing our tails when they could have replaced the laptop while it was still being produced after the 2nd tech fiasco

We will not be buying a Dell again.

I love the Dell XPS M1330 Notebook

Comments about Dell XPS Notebook PC:

I love the Dell XPS M1330 Notebook. For the last 2+ years I have insisted on using Lenovo Thinkpads. I had a T40 and found them to be extremely well made and very reliable and durable for lots of travel. However they are priced a bit high .
I recently attempted to upgrade the Lenovo T40 that I have I used continuously for the last 24 months to Windows7 and put some more memory in it. I do not recommend that you do this. Windows7 is just not meant to run on machines not built for it.
The Dell XPS M1330 is a 13 inch, lightweight laptop. It has much nicer styling than Dell typically has for example with the D40 which looks a bit more like a gray brick. My XPS is blue and very cool looking. It feels light and weighs in around 3 pounds. I bought mine at Best Buy in a standard configuration with 1GB of memory which I have found to be more than adequate. I am not a PC game player but I do tend to have 3 to 30 windows and applications open at any given time. the Dell XPS M1330 Notebook is very fast for me

• Battery Life:
  • Support & Service:
  • Speed/Performance:

Not a stable model

from Burbank, CA

Comments about Dell XPS Notebook PC:

My husband bought this laptop 2 years back. he was very excited ,he wanted a laptop that will do high end processing as well as own a fabulous graphics card. he was not disappointed there. I love the sleek look and screen resolution. it was great for watching videos. BUt the problem started soon after six month. the battery was so very unreliable. The first battery failure happened when he was travelling and a new battery was to be sent from here. it didnt stop there again there was a battery failure after the warranty period. It is expensive to maintain these laptops. Nowdays we are using it with out reserver battery and directly plugged in to power socket. I love much of my credibilty with Dell after using this laptop.I also own a HP and apple laptops that are by far more credible. I can only hope that with newer versions ofXPs DEll has retified all the faults with older version. when it comes to electronic that is heavy on our pockets i suggest we wait a while for the model tobe stabilised and then buy it.

Dell XPS

from Kirksville, MO

Comments about Dell XPS Notebook PC:

This is a very nice laptop. Though it might not be available right now, it is one of the best purchase i ever made. These days dell sells it as a studio xps I haven't tried it yet but from the reviews i read and from my own experience i found dell xps m1330 very powerful laptop. I like small screen size so i chose the 13" which looks just perfect. It is portable and powerful. I bought this almost three years ago but haven't had any problem till now. Few bad things about this laptop is the battery life. The battery isn't the best, but i got it replaced from Dell so i have no problem about it. Another disadvantage about the laptop is that it gets heated up really fast. I don't know how even though it has heat sync it gets heated up really really fast. It is really a slim laptop. Looks just amazing than any other laptops around. This is the best laptop i ever had with everything i needed. Hats of Dell.

Good Value for the Money

from Loda, IL

Comments about Dell XPS Notebook PC:

I'm prettty happy with this purchase. The computer seems to work pretty good, and it was fairly inexpensive. I would not hesitate to recommend this to a friend. It is pretty fast, and fairly light weight. It also has all of the drives and storage that I need. Internet seems pretty fast as well. I have not had any problems with this computer

incredibly lightweight!

from Charlottesville, VA

Comments about Dell XPS Notebook PC:

When my sister went to college, she had to get a computer that was sold by her college bookstore. As such, she was forced to part with this laptop after only having it for a year. Thankfully, I was the beneficiary of this outcome. I couldn't be more thrilled! I love this laptop. One of my favorite things about it is that when you insert the battery, it puts the laptop on a slant. I hate it when computers are flat. It makes my wrists hurt and can cause carpel tunnel syndrome. The slant prevents that, and also makes the monitor higher and easier to read (in my opinion).

This computer is over 3 years old and still working like a charm. It has a good deal of memory on it, and even though I have thousands of photos uploaded onto my hard drive, it still runs fairly quickly.

And the weight... it's unparalled for Dell computers to be so light. I can easily carry it in one arm and something else in the other. With a regular sized Dell lap top, I would have to just carry it.

Problematic laptop.

from Carson, CA

Comments about Dell XPS Notebook PC:

I bought this product three years ago and within a month, there were problems. I have a lot of compatability issues with their drivers and windows vista. Later on, I have gotten problems with the screen going bright and extremely dim during certain times. Their customer service was great since they responded to fix my computer really quickly. Then eventually, some of the keys on the keyboard wouldn't work then after that the I would get compatability issues with a DELL printer and would get the "blue screen of death." Also, the material they used for the laptop was cheap since even for just one small drop, the laptop would easily crack. Overall, this laptop is cheap and fast. great for college students but with so many problems, this computer is not reliable to use. I wouldn't recommend using this computer to anyone. There were so many issues that involved compatability issues with windows Vista and the DELL drivers that I had to reformat back to windows XP.

Looks good but is a nightmare

from Chapel Hill, NC

Comments about Dell XPS Notebook PC:

I was very happy with the XPS 1330 when I first got it since it looked and felt nice. Especially the screen and the HDMI output which was the thing which sold me. After having the laptop for not even a year, I started to experience a long list of troubles. Most of them were about the motherboad overheating and battery life. I got in home customer service so I did not have to send it by mail. However, it was a headache to have the technical support team to come in to your house three times within two months. They needed to change the motherboard so I had to wait for almost a week for it to come by mail. I had to buy two coolers just to reduce the heat from this laptop. It becomes extremely hot after only half an hour of usage. I fell asleep using it once and it almost burned my lap. Be careful before making your decision on this one, it has been reported to have the overheating/motherboard problem from many users.

Dell XPS M1330

from Kirksville, MO

Comments about Dell XPS Notebook PC:

I am a big fan of dell computers. When i bought this laptop it was the slimmest laptop. My xps m1330 has the processor intel core 2 duo T7250 @ 2.00 GHz. it has 3072MB RAM. It is running under Windows 7 Professional 32-bit operating system. This is a very powerful laptop. It's been 2 yrs now since i had this laptop and i haven't had any problem except for the battery. I play PC games a lot. It supports most of the games. It is a very powerful and fast laptop. It's screen size is just perfect for me. It is neither too big or small. It is portable. It comes with the finger scanner too. You can just swipe your finger too login to the computer and it is accurate. The bad part of this laptop is the heat sync and the battery life. May be due to it's slimness this laptop gets heated up really fast. You will definetly need a cooler for this laptop and about the battery i never trust the dell battery. It always screws up after a year.

Solid product, nice keyboard, excellent web cam

from Brookline, MA

Comments about Dell XPS Notebook PC:

The Dell 1330 XPS is a good computer for work or for leisure.  It is fairly small and lightweight, but due to the wide screen feature you get a good amount of screen space.  The resolution is crisp so you can put a few documents side by side at 75% size and still be able to read everything.  The web cam feature is great if you are a Skype user - the users on the other end report the video quality to be good.  The audio is also excellent - when web-camming I feel like I can hear my friends' voices clearly and crispy.  The processing speed is nice as well - it doesn't take long for folders to open and documents to load.  Watching movies on the computer is also great - the picture quality is good as well as the sound quality.  The remote control feature is pretty unique.  The battery life is at least 3 hours.    The keyboard is easy to use and the keys don't take a lot of force to press. All in all a high quality computer.

Way above average

from Chicago, IL

Comments about Dell XPS Notebook PC:

A great laptop. Perhaps the best I have ever own. Powerful, great performance, reliable, and elegant.

It even better than the average desktop. Very nice design and extremely portable, it has also a strong built so it can handle easily some abuse. I would definitely recommend this computer and it has been a great choice, you cannot go wrong with any xps dell since but this one in particular is a wonder.

Cons: As with any Dell computer, it allows you to setup the computer in a flexible way, so it can fit your needs, preferences and budget. Even the most basic setup has features that make this computer an excellent choice.

Downs: Battery life is not the best. I would say after about a year it is necessary to replace the battery in order to get a decent performance, otherwise you would need to have the computer plugged all the time which prevents some of the flexibility that people expect when buying a laptop.