4.1
Dell XPS Notebook/Laptop PC

Dell XPS Notebook/Laptop PC

4.1

Small. Fast. Dead-sexy.

After taking the XPS plunge when replacing my desktop last month, I found out what the XPS line is all about. So, when the time came to update my laptop for use in performing live music as well as the myriad other tasks I throw at a computer in any given day, I traded up from my Inspiron. I haven't been the least bit disappointed.Some quick specs on the machine being reviewed:XPS M1330, Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7250 (2.0GHz/800MHzFSB, 2M L2 Cache)2GB, DDR2, 667MHz 2 DimmBacklit LCD with 2MP Camera160G 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive Free Fall SensorBluetoothIntel graphics/wirelessIt's screamingly fast and perfectly suited for live sound work, and blitzes through audio conversions, video rendering (Sony Vegas) and graphic work. The built-in camera is better than expected, and the PCMCIA-stored remote is handy when using the laptop as a jukebox. The metal wrist rest feels solid and light, and adds a nice touch to the overall sleek, sports-carish look of the case.If glowy futuristic glitz is your bag, the touch-sensitive transport controls along the top are fresh to death! Add a 7+ hour battery life (without even disabling wifi or Vista's piggy visual candy) and I'm a happy camper.My only gripes are with the port placements. The M1330 only has 2 USB ports... one on each side. I use 2 USB control surfaces when performing live, which means I have to have cables jutting out both sides unless I bring a USB hub along. The headphone jacks (which you'll almost certainly want to use (included, fortunately) since the built-in speakers are tinny and awful... which regrettably is just par for the course with tiny laptops) leave your plugs sticking straight towards you from the front which is pretty inconvenient when actually being used on your lap.Quick note about the power cable plug however - instead of being a perfectly cylindrical barrel connector, this one's hexed so it doesn't spin around a grind down over time - certainly one for the "why didn't they think of this sooner?" book.Overall, an amazing little machine. Speedier than the average desktop and twice as nice to look at. Light, powerful, comfortable to use, gadgetry that actually adds to the overall design (none of the gadgets feel like they were shoehorned in "just because"), and great battery life make for a formidable machine!

Nothing but problems so far

I would like to say that this laptop has been great so far, but that would be far from the truth. In the first 4 months I have had 2 Major failures (harddrive crashed once and a still to be determined problem that has caused the laptop to be inoperable).

When not having component failures, this laptop performed well. The LCD screen is absolutely beautiful. Just the basic screensaver in Windows Vista is enough to make you say 'Wow' about the picture quality.

The built-in speakers and webcam are also things that I felt were good quality.

Hopefully I will get my problems resolved by Dell soon so I can change the 'Would you recommend this product' from a 'No' to a 'Yes'.

My brother have this monster

from casa

About Me Multimedia Professional, Technically Challenged, Tech Savvy

Pros

• Comfortable Keyboard
  • Fast
  • Lightweight
  • Powerful
  • Quality Display
  • Quiet

Cons

• Short Battery Life

• Business Use
  • Graphics
  • Music
  • Video
  • Web Browsing
  • Word Processing

Comments about Dell XPS Notebook/Laptop PC:

this computer is my dream, i used this computer just on for week from my brother, but i feel it is my computer,it is powrful fast, it is work good for my projects

• Primary use:
  • Business

Long lasting laptop!

from Elko, Nevada

Comments about Dell XPS Notebook/Laptop PC:

I have had this Dell XPS series laptop for around six and a half years. I called Dell and ordered it and made it exactly what I wanted. This made it somewhat expensive but the fact that this laptop computer is still going very strong and has absolutely no problems after over six years says a lot for Dell and for how well built and great that this laptop is. This laptop is very quick and the processing speed on it is amazing, everything has always gone so fast on it and it has never slowed down since the day that I bought it. The battery life is great, the battery lasts 12 hours plus and never dies on me, I have never had a problem with it. The laptop is set up nicely and the keyboard is comfortable and makes the laptop easy to use for anyone. I love Dell support and that it was already installed on this laptop, it is nice to have them right there if you ever need anything or are having any kind of problem or have a simple question, they are always there to help with anything that they can. This is my home use laptop that I love and do not plan on getting rid of until it is completely dead, Dell makes a great long lasting laptop.

• Battery Life:
  • Support & Service:
  • Speed/Performance:

Nice small computer... but not as fast as I hoped

from New Boston, MI

Comments about Dell XPS Notebook/Laptop PC:

I bought my computer from the dell outlet... The first one i recied the hardrive died in about 1 month...Dell quickly sent me a replacement system...This system is not as fast as i had expected...if you are planning on getting this system, I highly  recomend the 9cell battery... at least 2gb of memory (i only have 1 and i wish i would have done the upgrade)...I would also recomend getting the upgraded video card... I hear that would have made this system a lot faster!

It's the Porshe of laptops.

from Monterey, CA

Comments about Dell XPS Notebook/Laptop PC:

The M1310 is a light weight exquisitely designed laptop that packs a huge punch.  With it's discreet graphics card it will take you to the most demanding graphics gaming environments.  It's 4gig capable RAM and 2.2 GHz Duo core 2 processors will crunch through multiple demanding business apps.

this comp. is very small

from San Antonio, TX

Comments about Dell XPS Notebook/Laptop PC:

the dell11 is one of the computers that is always there when you need it just ready to go on the road or at home its the vest you can do anything on it from picture to download music and the graphics for the game they are remarkable,it is very lightweight and highly capable and the keyboard is very reliable with everything there is not anything you can not do with this computer, this computer will never fail on you it will always work right for you with no problems

love it

from Auburn Hills, MI

Comments about Dell XPS Notebook/Laptop PC:

We recently got this Dell and it is so user friendly and easy to use.  Also I who usually am on a desktop and hate laptop keyboards find this one easy to use.  I also feel the price was good that we got from one of the big box stores and the dell support and warranty is super.

Love it!

from Arcadia, CA

CONS: - small mousepad [but connect a mouse, and you'll be OK]

- not the greatest quality camera

- small whirring sound at start-up

PROS: - very light and portable

- Vista, once you get used to it, is quite helpful

- great sceen (i have the LED one)

- love the Dell Webcam Manager, which is just short of the Apple Photobooth

- Fingerprint Scanning works relatively well

I use this more than my desktop now!

Best bang for the buck

from Bowling Green, OH

Comments about Dell XPS Notebook/Laptop PC:

When I was shopping for laptops I really wanted a Mac because I heard they were so good at keeping viruses out. They are also much more expensive.... I had a Dell desktop set up that I'd been using for 4 or 5 years and it did me really good, so I decided to check out what Dell had to offer. I came across the XPS M1310 and tried it out. It received great reviews in Crutchfield and Consumer Reports. It had all the hardware I needed in a laptop and enough processing power that even put my old desktop to shame :) So, I've had it for a year almost now and I LOVE IT!!!

Nothing but problems so far

from Friendship, TN

Comments about Dell XPS Notebook/Laptop PC:

The built-in speakers and webcam are also things that I felt were good quality.

Great computer for doing just about anything

from Philadelphia, PA

Comments about Dell XPS Notebook/Laptop PC:

I'm a student who needed a new computer and this has been a great one since all my other Dell Inspirons have been a disappointment.  It's lightweight, easy to use, I love the webcam thats included so I can contact friends and family.  you would think with the small screen watching movies and tv shows wouldn't be that good, but it's been just great.  I also love the little remote thats included, makes watching tv/movies and listening to music so easy.