View more laptops

Dell Vostro Notebook/Laptop PC

Dell Vostro Notebook/Laptop PC

Basic computer needs

Comments about Dell Vostro Notebook/Laptop PC:

Systematically designed to match rudimentary needs for most individuals, no hassle of installing Linux, packaged with Windows Vista which is a benefit for those who cannot purchase discs to burn but less than standard in terms of memory, space and graphic card.

Buttons worked well, screen is plasticly large and not much can be said about the switch function near the button keyboard.

Battery Life
After long duration of hard charging without unplugging the ac adapter, it experiences recent overheating and battery is shortened to only 30 minutes before required to charging time.

Support & Service
Only a few programs were able to be installed in the system, while it's generally advisable for the manufacturers to port an update program for the computer, they ignore it and leave the system as is, totally unprofessional.

Speed/Performance
After tweaking Windows Vista, speed were comparably responsive and not much lag between opening application. But Vista is generally the worse OS in the market with Linux leading the confrontation between major competitors.

Bulky, inherent design of the laptop will leave some people who have attempted to open it, frustrated and not to mention almost all laptop manufactuers put the fan at an hard place to clean thus removing all components which can lead to disaster for some.

Scratches on the screen, with no major damage on the hardware itself but once I'm done opening the laptop, certain key strokes doesn't work and made me unhappy as I'm not willing to use this laptop if I managed to repair it.

• Battery Life:
  • Support & Service:
  • Speed/Performance:

good solid laptop

from Buffalo, NY

Comments about Dell Vostro Notebook/Laptop PC:

I've had a vostro 1400 for 2-3 years now and it really has served me well. The 14inch screen is really all one needs, 15 and 17 are just luxury items that may be annoying at times. It has played numerous games, such as starcraft and sim2 however it does get laggy after a while. However since this is not a gaming laptop nor was it meant to be, this aspect does not quite matter. I installed windows 7 on it and by the way things are looking now, i see at least 3-4 or even 5 more years of laptop life for this little workhorse. There is no HDMI out but this was not a popular item when i purchased this device so i would not rate it down for this. i have hooked it up to my 22inch lcd tv and it has worked flawlessly. Overall a great workhorse for any ordinary folk.

Great basic laptop

from Taylor, MI

Comments about Dell Vostro Notebook/Laptop PC:

The Vostro 1400 is a great basic laptop when loaded with extra memory can run the more demanding applications. The Vostro 1400 has a touch pad is very similar to other dell laptop computers I have worked on. The touch pad is easy to use and I haven't had any problems with it. Since i like to sit on the couch while surfing the Internet I prefer the touch pad, however any thing other then that I would recommend an actual mouse for better control and fatigue issues. I have had 0 issues in the 3 years that I have had this laptop, it has survived 2 toddlers and many juice/milk coffee/pop spills. I would recommends this laptop for anyone looking for basic email and Internet surfing while having mobility.

This laptop is perfect for my purposes

from Missoula, MT

Comments about Dell Vostro Notebook/Laptop PC:

I purchased this laptop in May 2008 for use with my small business. As an occupational therapist I use it primarily for writing reports and other professional documentation, and I wanted a lightweight computer that is easy to carry around. I was not interested in a very big screen but I did want a full size keyboard, and Windows XP (not Vista). I do use it to access the internet when away from my office. I have been very pleased with this computer - it meets my needs for portability and function without too many bells and whistles. I especially liked the fact that it came without lots of extra software on it for me to remove.