View more laptops

Dell Studio Notebook PC

Dell Studio Notebook PC

3.9

The Dell Studio 1535 is exactly what I needed

The Dell 1535 was exactly what I was looking for, for general business and school use.

I already have a 2 year old Toshiba laptop and I recently became unemployed and started back to school, online.  I found that my laptop was running slow when attempting to look for a job and do school work at the same time, and it was not the internet connection.

The Dell came and I was impressed.  It's smaller than my Toshiba, great screen quality, and the backlit keyboard comes in handy when you're typing in dimly lit areas.

Most importantly, it's super fast!  I have thrown a million programs on it and it still runs fast.  Windows Vista works great and I love the Speech Recognition program when I don't want to type anymore.  The webcam is great and I can send pictures and movies to friends.  You can also edit your webcam pictures with fun items, which is fun.

The cons are that the speakers aren't very good at all and even have static.  The sound quality is just not there.

Also, there is a sharp lip that your wrists rest on while typing, which can get uncomfortable.

Finally, the fingerprint reader requests you to login at bizarre times, when there is no reason to log in.

Ultimately, this is a great machine for my needs and I recommend it for someone looking for a quick computer that starts applications quickly, and allows you to have more than 1 thing up at a time without slowing down.

A good laptop but it seems to have glitches

I was looking for a laptop that would edit my home videos and I came across this one.  I have always used Dell  computers so it was the logical place for me to start.  I wanted a laptop that wouldn't be too bulky but wouldn't break th ebank.  I reserached the specs that were needed to have a fast laptop without going overboard.  I was thrilled with my laptop when I received it.  After a month my battery cord snapped whihc was weird to me but I called dell and they replaced it for me imediately.  I was pleased with the video software that was included and was able to burn DVD's from my videos with ease. I was even more surprised by all the little added options that were available to me when making the DVD's.

After a few months the problems started.  My computer would freeze while in hibernation mode and I would have to shut doen incorrectly to get it started again.  Then the worst was when I was performing a Windows update, my whole computer crashed.  I lost all my files and had to go to extreme measures and expense to have them retrieved.  I spent houurs on the phone with Dell and then Microsoft who only gave me their corporate number to complain.  Dell eventually fixed my computer but when I told them that it was advised that my hard drive be replaced since it was damaged in the restore, they told me it wasn't necessary and brushed me off.  They also spent the down time on the phone trying to sell me unnecessary memory by telling me that a three month old computer didn't have enough memory.

Overall I am less than thrilled with Dell and Microsoft but really do not know who to blame since they have passed the buck!

This is a great unit!

from Isle, MN

Comments about Dell Studio Notebook PC:

I use a Dell Studio 1535. This is a super computer for a beginner laptopper. It isnt hard to use. It isnt hard to understand. you can personalise it too. it has decent speed and enough programs for most users. One complaint I have is that you can not view power point and it doesnt have word so sometimes it can be tricky to view documents. I am a "liesure" user so it works out ok for me. I know just enough to be dangerous so I can usually figure out how to do something. It can get pretty dang hot though after using it awhile.

I am not satisfied with Dell laptops

from Bonaire, GA

Comments about Dell Studio Notebook PC:

The delltop 1535 is my second laptop.  My first one was back in 2004-2005 and I do not remember which type it was.   The first one was my step-sons it was ok...but it lost internet connection frequently.   It did not hold a charge very well from the power cord.  And when the modem went bad I tried to get tech support to help over the phone and send me the part through the mail.  It was a challenge just to figure out the problem over the phone let alone get them to send the part which they never did.

The second laptop I have right now is the current 1535.  It was loaded with vista and the f-keys keep popping off.  Again the motherboard and modem went bad. And the tech support was better this time but it took forever just to connect to the support department.  I never did get any contact from the technician who was suppose to come to the house and fix it.  I had to take it to an outside source for it to be fixed.

My next laptop will be a Mac.

I love this computer!

from New Braunfels, TX

Comments about Dell Studio Notebook PC:

I purchased my Dell Studio 1535 laptop direct from Dell last year. It was a certified re-furbished laptop. I need my laptop mainly for checking email, surfing the web, photo editing and other standard applications (word processing, spreadsheets etc.) And it has worked just perfectly, The screen is big & very clear. My kids have watched movies on it in the car and it worked great. I did get the finger print scanner with mine & that is an aspect that I love. It's just so easy to scan my fingerprint rather than having to type in login info.

I did have a few problems with the laptop. every so often the screen would go red. This gradually got worse as I used the laptop. Also the disk drive would keep trying to eject a disk when there was no disk in the drive. To Dell's credit they took the laptop back, replaced the screen, the disk drive and a few other parts that I can't remember, all in about a week (including shipping time). My poor friend had similar problems with her Mac book and Apple kept her computer for almost a month, and she is still having problems. No problems anymore with mine!

My laptop came with Windows Vista home premuim edition. Vista took some getting used to, and I don't consider my self at all a pro at vista but it didn't take me too long to learn it. (and I am SOOOOO not a techie!)

All in all a great computer, it does what I ask it to do with no issues. & Dell's customer service & warranty is excellent. I know other people have had problems with Dell, but I just got firm with them and it only took 3 phone calls before they took the computer back. (which was less contact than I had to make with a scrapbooking company about my faulty paper trimmer!)

Dell Studio 1535 - Good for home use, still some Windows problem

from Rotonda West, FL

Comments about Dell Studio Notebook PC:

So far the Dell Studio 1535 works great for what I need it for.  I do mostly personal pictures, surf the web, email, enhance pictures, spreadsheets and word documents, etc.  I have noticed problems relating to shutting down system, ctrl, alt, delete does not work at all - have to go to start menu and shut it down that way, and even then sometimes it freezes and have to manually turn it off.  Also have problems with settings to putting computer to sleep and screen saver settings that do not always work - mostly sleep mode.  Same problems I've had with other Dell pc's or laptops as long as I've owned them.

Working with a program for photo's that I purchased is great however.  Plenty of space and I never have a problem accessing pictures quickly or applying changes to pictures.  My system has never crashed while doing these photo enhancements, or taken too long to do so.  I've got a great program for my photo's too.

On the other hand, the Dell came with Dell Media Direct, integrated in the panel with the keyboard - first off, BAD place to put it because of constantly accidentally touching the button lightly and it opens the program, and, it does not accept any files for either my camcorder or my camera movie settings, so it's pretty much useless to me as far as making home movies goes.  I'm not sure how to overcome this, and just haven't bothered.

All in all though, it's a good system and would recommend it to friends and family.

the dell studio 1535 is what brings me into the future of today

from Waterford, WI

Comments about Dell Studio Notebook PC:

although i am not a computer pro or even a novice on the computer this is easy enough for me to get around the web and do things i didn't know were possable except in futureistic movies. if it were up to me to design a system that did things that idiots like me could understand, someone already did and it was dell. I don't do alot just yet on this thing ,but i learn everyday and thats what is important in todays furture. If this was up to me I would purchase this laptop computer all over agian.

dell has good sound and performance

from Montezuma, OH

Comments about Dell Studio Notebook PC:

I really can't tell you everything this laptop has, to many things to mention, I love the preformance and always seem to do what every i need to to do. I recamend it highly, never thought i would because i was always hp lover. thanks

A good laptop but it seems to have glitches

from Staten Island, NY

Comments about Dell Studio Notebook PC:

Not a single problem with this laptop

from New Preston Marble Dale, CT

Comments about Dell Studio Notebook PC:

I am a teacher and love to surf the web so I use my computer often.  This laptop works very nicely.  The screen is a good size, and the programs it comes with are perfect for me.  I like the size of it.  It is very easy to use on a table or on my lap.  The one and only problem is that sometimes the touch volume keys do not work perfectly.  It is a nuisance but you can change it the old fashioned way, using the mouse.

Like it and Would Buy It For Myself.

from Pasadena, TX

Comments about Dell Studio Notebook PC:

I bought this for a friend and have worked on it. Its amazingly fast and have never been disappointed with Dell whether it be purchasing peripherals or computers. My friend loves it and she is a teacher. Plum color and amazing screen she gets the most use out of it and sleek styling. Its been very reliable and has helped her being more resourceful and shop for her new baby. Access to on-line shopping and information with this new notebook has helped her a lot. I am eager to see what Dell does next. They have done a good job with service and have very good quality products. Its also nice to know they are based out of Austin, TX. Knowing its an American company creating quality products we like helps in the decisions to buy from them again. The ability to customize your order before purchase makes it affordable and getting what you want for your money instead of being stuck with a configuration that is lackluster. I am so happy I am a Dell customer and have bought more than once from them in regards to computers. I highly recommend this product or any of Dell's laptops.

Reliable and OK for now

from La Mesa, CA

Comments about Dell Studio Notebook PC:

This is my second Dell. My first computer was a desktop deminsion, which I still have. I purchased the Dell Studio 1535 about eight months ago because I had an account which made it an easy transaction. I attend school online, send and receive email, and surf the net. My laptop is usually on for long periods of time. I've had a problem with one of my keys sticking, but can't say if it's from my roughness or a defect.  I like the fingerprint security and the screen is very clear. I set my Studio to sleep when I close the computer without turning off the power, but I had problems a few times trying to bring it out of sleep mode. I haven't called customer service yet, but for the most part my Dell Studio 1535 has been reliable and easy to use, but I will consider another brand next time.