3.5
GX520
Dell Optiplex desktop computer

Dell Optiplex desktop computer

3.5

I Have To Keep Restarting It.

Comments about Dell Optiplex desktop computer:

It's not a bad computer per se, but I don't care for the company. Mine works off and on. Usually it's up and running, but I have to restart it a few times a day. My browser keeps freezing up, window tabs won't close, links aren't clickable, tabs won't open - nothing I can do. It barely works well enough for me to restart it during those times. When the fan gets loud & won't quiet down, I have to restart then as well. When I'm working on something important, restarting is a hassle that I shouldn't have to put up with. I have to redo everything I was working on again once I'm logged back in. The settings don't always work. I change them, if I could find them, & they don't always take. No idea why it does this. It does seem to work fine for things like checking email, playing games, doing research, & the like. It's held up for just over a year now. Hopefully, it will continue to do so for a few more years.

It's fairly easy to use, but when I try to get into changing settings, that sort of thing, it can be pretty difficult. It doesn't always want to work, or be found. It can be a pain, & may or may not work, depending on how it's feeling that day.

Hardware Quality
Hardware seems to be okay, but if it needs to be continuously restarted, it can't be too great. It does boot up pretty good, & fairly quickly. Haven't had too many other problems with it.

Support & Service
If you're not the original owner, or can't name the original owner, & it's past original warranty (which it would be if it's purchased used, like mine is), there is NO support or service. This is the second time they've done this, which is my main reason for not liking their products. They won't even send replacement discs, even if I pay for them, for original upstart. They can't be bothered, so I find others to service my computer needs.

It seems to be fine, & takes a beating, but it needs to be restarted a lot. Something may be making it break down a bit, but at least it's lasting for now.

I don't like Dell computers, but this design is very compact. I do like that about it. I lay it down, & it takes up very little space. I rest my monitor on it, so between the 2, very little room is used.

It performs well at times, but I have to keep restarting it. It has a fan that is fine while the computer is being used, then gets VERY loud once it goes to screensaver. It also get just as loud during other times that I can't hear over. It will stay that way till I restart it. It also freezes up at times, refuses to let me close tabs, doesn't work quite right, so I'll need to restart again. When I don't have to do that, it works pretty well. Does everything I need it to do. I can play games, take care of business, use high graphics, whatever I need. It's decent for that. But it also does a color check when it boots up. If something is off, instead of pulling up a screen with off colors (I can work thru that), it will just not pull up the screen at all. No way to fix it till the colors match up, & no way to turn that off.

• Hardware Quality:
  • Support & Service:

does what i need

from Creola, OH

Comments about Dell Optiplex desktop computer:

I purchased the Dell Optiplex GX520 Desktop Computer a few months ago. It was delivered rapidly and packaged properly. I am very pleased with the performance. At 3.4 GHz and 1.0GB of DDR2 Dual Channel memory, it is very fast and will run photoshop and graphic software faster than I can keep up with. It has two USB 2.0 port in the front of the tower, though they are quite close together. I believe in recycling. There are plenty of good used machines at a fraction of the cost of new products. No need to rush to BestBuys and load up the credit card. Just be sure to purchase it from a reputable seller who has checked it throughly. I have used computers ever since they came out in the early 80s. I do have one of the latest laptop, but I prefer a desktop for my office. Technology has not advanced that much within the last five years to justify a new machine. I always laugh at people who fork out the big bucks for a superfast computer although they still type with two fingers !