View more laptops

Dell Notebook PC

Dell Notebook PC

3.6

Great Deal

I received this computer as a Christmas gift from my parents. At first I was a little nervous, but after using it, I really like it. It runs fast, has wireless internet, has windows xp, not vista. This was a good computer for a good value. I would recommend it to anyone who is just looking for a laptop to access internet, or type the ocassional document.

Great for my work needs

This computer is lightweight, which is great for someone that needs the portability that a laptop provides.  My office purchased this particular model for those of us that can work at home.  This computer meets all of my needs in being able to do my job effectively.  I like that it has wireless internet capability, which can come in handy.  I have numerous clients that do not have internet access, and I am sometimes able to tap into someone else's connection to access information that I need.  I am also accustomed to using Windows XP, so I did not have to worry about dealing with the new Vista system and was happy about that.  For a work laptop, this one is a good fit for my particular needs.  However if I was going to buy a laptop for my personal needs, I would most likely purchase a different type.  This is good for someone that will mainly be doing a lot of e-mail or websurfing and may not need much storage space.  I also like having easy access to things like games and music.  Based on how much music and the number of games that I currently have on my hard drive, I would not be able to have everything on this particular laptop unless I upgraded it.  Overall the computer performs well and is a good machine unless you need to store tons of stuff on the hard drive.

Not bad, but not great!

from Chesterland, OH

Comments about Dell Notebook PC:

The Dell Vostro 1000 was the first laptop I ever purchased. The laptop sports 2 Gigabytes of RAM, 160 Gigabytes of Hard Drive Space, and came bundled with a copy of Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit. Although the Dell Vostro came with Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit installed it supports 64-bit operating systems. This means you could install Windows Vista 64-bit and it would run fine. The Vostro 1000 isn't a bad laptop by any means, it just wasn't for me. It could handle very few games, was a nightmare to edit videos with, had loud fans, and constantly over heated. The Screen on the Vostro 1000 is a 15.2 inch LCD monitor, which actually isn't bad. The screen is plenty bright and everything looks good on it. The keyboard and touch pad are where it really stands out. The keyboard is very easy to use, and has huge keys, the touch pad is extremely big and very very easy to use! The Dell Vostro 1000 has one of the best touch pads I've ever used. Overall I'd recommend the Dell Vostro 1000 for anyone who wants a decent laptop for basic computer activities.

Dell Laptops are the Way to Go!

from Perkiomenville, PA

Comments about Dell Notebook PC:

I got my Dell Laptop for Christmas 2010 and I've been nothing but happy with it! I reccommend anyone looking for a laptop to get Dell! It's fast running and nice structure. I love this laptop and I'm sure you will too! I'm on it all the time and if you're like me and on it alot, I suggest getting a cooling pad because they heat up pretty quick.

Dell Vostro 1000

from Perris, CA

Comments about Dell Notebook PC:

This was my first Laptop and so far my only Laptop since 2007. I have had no problems at all and I really do not see any future problems arising. I am not hard on my system and I believe as long as you have a good Anti-Virus and stay away from questionable downloads you can expect a long life from your investment.This is not Dells top of the line but if you just want a no nonsense basic PC this is a good workhorse for home or business.

Dell stands behind their products.

from Floyds Knobs, IN

Comments about Dell Notebook PC:

If I'm going to buy a computer it's always going to be a Dell. I've been using Dells for over 10 years, and won't choose anything else. And, my Vostro 3700 hasn't disappointed. About a year ago, I did have a problem with it. One day it suddenly wouldn't power up ... quite a problem for a busy professional who depends on her computer to make living. I had a lengthy conversation with a tech support representative who walked me through opening up the computer and checking some connections. While I use my computer daily, its inner workings are foreign to me. However, the rep was very patient and helpful. When that repair effort failed, he talked me through the warranty and directed me on how to send my comptuer in for repair. In less than a week, my computer was returned to me as good as new. The problem, which had been in the power button, was repaired under warranty. After a problem like this, some would probably decide never to use this brand again. However, I appreciated the tech support as well as the quick repair. For myself, I can say ... once a Dell user, always a Dell user.

This Dell makes a decent travel computer, but not a primary one

from Wichita, KS

Comments about Dell Notebook PC:

I bought this Dell a couple of year ago knowing that it wouldn't be a speed demon, and that has certainly proven true.  I'm primarily a desktop user, and prefer to spend money on my primary system, but wanted a portable computer for travel, WiFi access, on the go word processing, and for geneological research.  It has suited me fine for these limited ambitions, along with light gaming, MP3 playback, and DVD viewing.  However, if I was looking for a laptop today, I would either step up to a bit higher-end PC, or buy one of the many available netbooks, which are both cheaper and more svelte than this PC was, and would have fulfilled most of the same roles (minus DVD viewing, of course, although you could load a few movies onto a netbook's harddrive.  The build quality is pretty solid, the screen is bright, sharp, and relatively decent, but it runs pretty sluggishly under Vista, especially loading, coming out of hybernation, and while loading large files.

A sturdy, fast, well built product.

from Colorado Springs, CO

Comments about Dell Notebook PC:

This laptop is fast, sturdy, and worth the money it costs. It has the new dual core I5 processor with hyperthreading which runs like a quad core processor. It has 3 gigabytes of ram enough to run any program out right now and a graphics card capable of running even the most advanced games today. The 320 GB hard drive gives you plenty of space to work with. The 17.3 inch monitor is a good side for the price paid. All together this laptop is worth every penny it is even good for college students.

i havent used this dell laptop i was just looking for informatio

from Kountze, TX

Comments about Dell Notebook PC:

I havent used this dell product i was just looking for information on it, I had one of dells older laptops that i purchased years ago that had to be one of the best laptops that i have ever owned. I was an over the road truck driver and that laptop was well used as well as abused.It has had drinks spilled on it and amazingly enough it still worked, it was left out in the snow again still worked. When loading my truck after a stay in a motel I left it on the bed of my truck and just happened to look into my rear view mirror when it fell off and went sliding down the road. I went back and picked it up and all it had was a small crack and again it still worked. I finally upgraded to another computer and the faithful old dell was put up into a closet and forgot about for allmost ten years. then one day when i was moving i came across it and plugged it in and let it charge and it worked good as new. it is still in use today with by a friend with no problems at all.

Great performance overall!

from Hannibal, NY

Comments about Dell Notebook PC:

This has been a very reliable laptop that I have performed a lot of work on over the past two years as well has relaxing and having some fun with.  It has worked well from day one and continues to do so although it is slowing down just a bit.

Since I work from home I needed something reliable and able to handle having several windows, websites and programs open at once and this laptop can do that without problem.

The only negative issue I have had with it is that the CD Rom/DVD drive randomly spins and then pops out.

Otherwise, I could have only wished for it to be thinner and lighter.

dell vostro vista 1000 is awful

from Johnstown, NY

Comments about Dell Notebook PC:

dell is a decently made pc. although its windows vista compared to windows xp sucks. the graphics are awful and the wireless switch it at the top rather than the side which I am used to it being on the side.with the switch being at the top you need to memorize the key combination rather than just flicking a switch. so in a brief summary i would have to say that i would not recommend dell vostro 1000 to anyone due to it being a down right awful setup so in my opinion you should steer clear of them if you want a decent laptop.

Great computer for the money

from Tomball, TX

Comments about Dell Notebook PC:

We got this computer when my Sony Vaio had issues. This has been a great computer for general everyday use. However, it seems to eat batteries. I have had this computer for two years and needed a new battery after one year. I then purchased another battery, not Dell, and it only lastest 8 months.

Some of the keys have started sticking, it is really annoying to use the A button and you would be surprised how often you need it. I am not sure how to take off the keys to clean and then put them back on properly. Other than these two things it has been a very reliable computer and has even gone on vacation. I do hate the fact that it comes with the Dell Network Assistant. I am so used to using Microsoft for everything that it's difficult to navigate the Assistant when you are trying to log onto other wireless networks. Then you have to pay for the Assistant after a certain time, which I didn't, which makes it even harder to navigate.

It's  good computer for the basics.