3.8
Inspiron 1520
Dell Notebook PC

Dell Notebook PC

3.8

I love it so much I would marry it!

I did a lot of research before I purchased this laptop.  I have an older Dell laptop that I am convinced is a "lemon".  I read a lot of product reviews and checked out the Consumer Reports review of laptops.  I am a huge fan of Dell and this was the one that I ultimately decided would be the best one, based on all of the reviews I read.

The screen is 15.4" and is the perfect size for a laptop.  My mother got the same laptop, but with a 17" screen and it's a bit bulky for me.  I use my laptop at home and at school.  So it has to be able to stand up to a little abuse due to all the traveling it will be doing.  Also, it's not heavy, or at least not as heavy as my old laptop was.  So carrying it around isn't a burden.

All of the components are great.  The screen is crisp and clear.  The keyboard is comfortable and easy to use.  The touch pad mouse is also comfortable and easy to use.  This laptop is much easier to use as far as comfort, than my old Dell laptop was.

Some of the other reasons I chose this particular laptop: I could still get it with Windows XP, since I'm not too sure about the whole Vista thing yet.  I could get my favorite color - PINK! (and lots of pink accessories to match!)  Also, I could build the laptop to the specifications I wanted, without it costing me a fortune.

I have had great experiences with Dell customer service, so I knew if I had any problems I could trust Dell.  Although, I haven't had this particular laptop long, so I haven't had to contact customer service.  But if I do, I know it will be a smooth experience.

If anyone is in the market for a new laptop, this one is perfect!  It got great reviews by many different sites, including Consumer Reports.  And as a person who has owned Dell components for many years, I know this is a well made system.

Nice basic laptop

I recently purchased a 1520 so that I could have something to take when I have to follow my child around.  I have not had any problems with it.  I did not get all the bells and whistles because I wanted to keep the costs down.

I have not had any problems with the general use of the system and have been able to easily access my photos from my card reader using the USB ports and hooked the laptop up to my home network using my ethernet lines.

The only issue I have is that when watching a dvd or a video on the internet, if I don't have the screen at the exact angle, the image is either washed out (too much brightness) or the shadows and dark images lose all detail.  Since I don't plan on using the laptop for watching a lot of dvds or videos I'm not that concerned about it.  I think this issue is a function of the type of display and not something that is related to the manufacturing.

I'm pleased with the laptop for what I need it to do.  I'm not using it for heavy processing such as games and graphics so I have not had any processor issues.

For simplicity and familiarity I got Windows XP on the system and have not had any problems there either.

i like my dell insperon 1520

from Grand Island, NY

Comments about Dell Notebook PC:

I like my dell insperon 1520.  It workd great for basic web surfing, office products such as word, powerpoint, excell, access... and other peograms.  It can handly small games.  This is not a gaming laptop for sure, but its not a cheep one that can't handle any graphics either.  my Dell is a little on the heavy side, but its not that bad.  Overall the Dell insperon 1520 is a nice laptop with not too many gadgets to get lost in, but enough to kiis a teenager sattisfied.  The sound is also very good quality on here.  I love to play my music and be able to close my laptop and just hit the control buttons on the outside and not have to oppen it every time i want to change a song. The only things i have to complain about with this laptop is it's weight, and the fact that it does not come with a remote.

The ability to customize the laptop made it the perfect computer

from Casselberry, FL

Comments about Dell Notebook PC:

Overall I am incredibly pleased with my recent purchase of Dell Inspiron 1520. I ordered my laptop online and loved that I was able to go through and pick the features that i needed to fit my lifestyle. I was even able to pick the color so that the computer was suited to my personality. The only thing that I found difficult was actually receiving the laptop. I had to go though several emails and phone calls before Dell was able to get it right and actually ship the computer to me. However, once everything was straightened out they did attempt to compensate by providing me with free overnight shipping. The laptop itself is wonderful. it has exaclty the programs I need for my schooling and my personal computer use. The screen and sound are beautiful and crisp. Also, the price was right. I was able to find a coupon which provided me with a deep discount. I love my computer!

watch out

from Covington, GA

Comments about Dell Notebook PC:

we purchase Dell for about two months and we gave it back before we really use that because it didnt work well, we pay more to get window vista unlimited but after more than 5 weeks waiting we got widow vista home basic, surely its disapointed because we actually trust Dell and that the reason we didnt chose other brand mark for buying laptop but now we think again for the future for using Dell, suppose to other customer to think again before decided to get Dell

Exellent For A Computer Weight, and Easy For Travel

from Kempner, TX

Comments about Dell Notebook PC:

For a person that had mostly dealt with huge Drafting Computers, and had only one personal desk top Computer previously, I was really impressed with Dells light weight laptop.  I was also impressed with the low monthly payments.  The brightness of the screen, and most of Dells features.

There is somethings that I think could help Dell win more customers.  Laptops all need a built in mouse pad, for the people that are use to them, it is too hard to balance the computer and a book or something else to run the mouse on for those who need them for gaming, and other things.  It also needs a cut in to the frame USB port to hook in a mouse so that the end is not getting continually knocked off when it is bumped, because it is sticking out, especially on the wireless mouse.  Have ruined several this way.  The buttons on the frount are something of a hassle because I find my hands holding on to the computer in this place.

Dell Inspiron 1520 Notebook PC

from Fairbanks, AK

Comments about Dell Notebook PC:

This has turned out to be a great little laptop! My son has wanted one for a while. he has a long list of must haves and this one fit the bill right off the shelf without any add ons or upgrades needed. He has been able to use it successfully for all his need and wants! He can play all the games he wants to play, even the ones that you might think have some hefty requirements, but no problem they all work perfectly. He can do all the things he needs to do regarding school and educational needs. He also is involved in making movies and his own video games and it has even performed well for this type of use. So far no external hard drive or other type of items needed and he is a pretty heavy user. Gets all his school work done no problem! Love It! Good buy!

Dell Inspiron Nightmare

from Lyle, MN

Comments about Dell Notebook PC:

I am absolutely miserable with my Dell Inspiron 1520! My husband and I both bought one brand new from Dell and have had nothing but problems with them both! A couple months after having them, they both started having battery problems. You would be doing business as usual and BAM, the power would shut off. We figured out it was the batter after a while and just replaced them both through ebay. They worked good for a couple more months and then BAM again. We replaced them again. We called Dell with no help from customer services at all. And time went by and we kept replacing the batteries and After a while this got very annoying so we contacted Dell again and they told us they knew there were problems and that there was a replacement battery we could purchase. They wouldn't give us the replacement because we were like a week over our one year guarantee date when we called. Nice of them to tell us that before! Convenient of them to not know anything when we called before our guarantee was up. Then we found out they had a recall long time ago that we never heard about and they didn't mention! We will never buy another Dell again.

Easy to use, numerous issues with various components

from North Brunswick, NJ

Comments about Dell Notebook PC:

I've had this laptop for approximately 3 years. Overall I've been pleased with its daily performance, for both personal and business use. However, twice I've had to have Dell send a new keyboard, and the battery runs extremely hot. The computer has had to be rebuilt 2-3 times from the installation of Windows, over the last 3 years, because Windows displayed the dreaded blue screen and the operating system could not be repaired. The last time, a technician was sent, to replace everything including the motherboard, because the computer was completely unusable. Dell Customer Service has been quick and superior, but I am not sure why the laptop's components are not more reliable when built from the factory. We've owned several Dell Computers over the years, partially because they are easy to configure and Customer Service has always been quick and reliable.

Dell Inspiron 1520 is great!

from Bomoseen, VT

Comments about Dell Notebook PC:

I am currently in morning for my **Dell Inspiron 1520 Notebook PC**. We had a wonderful 3 years together, until my 5 year old dumped water on it and fried the entire thing. I miss my** Dell Inspiron 1520 Notebook PC** a lot, as it was the best laptop I've ever owned.

The Dell Inspiron 1520 Notebook PC is fast and efficient. Even running Windows Vista (the worst operating system known to man), it ran smoothly and never froze up. It worked great even while running many programs simultaneously. It comes with plenty of memory to hold even huge ISO files when I was copying our family's home videos. Nothing slowed it down.

It was also relatively inexpensive compared to comparable notebook PCs of the same caliber. Dell also has a great customer service department, and they really stand by their products.

I have since replaced it with a newer version, but I still thing fondly of my **Dell Inspiron 1520 Notebook PC**. I would definitely recommend it!****

Good for office use, that's all

from Kansas City, MO

Comments about Dell Notebook PC:

If you're planning on getting DELL Inspiron for anything other than office use, don't bother. Dell get hot pretty fast, and it'll shut down once it's overheat. (My mom told me that's a good thing, because it'll help with not frying the motherboard and I'm able to keep the laptop longer.) Yeah, it's great, for office use maybe. The laptop shut down everytime I tried to stream video, even youtube's video. (If you dealt with the same problem as me, just take the laptop apart and clean the fan, it'll help.)

Well, there's a few things I like about Dell, such as it comes in different colors. I bought the Forest Green laptop, and I love the color. It's easy to use. The battery is all right, comparing it to a few of my previous laptop, it's better. I've had the DELL for two years, and the battery is still within 1.5 - 2hours, so that's still pretty good.

Oh yeah, one thing I noticed was that my laptop screen seems like it's going to fall off any moment now when I open it.

Great computer for the money

from Dana Point, CA

Comments about Dell Notebook PC:

I am a great fan of Dell. I love Apple too, but Dell is much more affordable. So, Dell's are the ones we've been buying for our family for years. This Dell has not disappointed. I did not plan on getting a media package but I am glad I did now. We rent movies frequently from Netflix and the picture is really nice. The computer is really fast for its price. There is never an interruption in the movie and I typically am running other things in the background. Speaking of movies, my only complaint regarding the computer itself is the sound. If you don't have external speakers or upgraded speakers, they can be hard to hear during most movies. It can be used if you are within 5 feet of the computer and there is no other noise in the room. However, if either of these is untrue, it is difficult to hear quiet conversations in the movie. When I first purchased it, I kept hitting the large mouse area accidently and did not like it. I grew accustomed to it though and now like it because it is so large and easy to use. I would have liked a separate keypad on the keyboard but I prefer the big keys. I guess I'd need a large computer for that feature. The computer is very durable. Before I had this last baby, I had never dropped a computer before. This baby is putting it to the test. She has dropped it several times but it still works. She also decided to water it like a plant and poured a full glass of water on it! I opened it and dried it, then turned it over and left it for a day. The next day, the keys on the side she poured it on did not work. I turned it back over and waited a couple more days. It actually works fine. Regarding customer service, my only complaint is it is out of India.