View more laptops

VOSTRO 1500
Dell Notebook PC

Dell Notebook PC

4.1

Excellent sytem for the value

I currently own a Dell Vostro 1500 with a Intel Duo Core T8100, 3 GBs of RAM, 128 MB Dedicated graphics, and a 160 GB hard drive, running on Windows Vista Home Premium and all I can say is I absolutely love it.  I've heard plently of people complain about Vista in general and have spent my fair share of time swearing at the version of Basic on my desktop, however, Vista Premium on the Vostro flat out runs beautifully.  Dell came up with a great idea when it opened its small and medium business line and started to make Vostros.  I own and operate a small freelance photography service, and was in need of a laptop that I could take into the field with me, have nice capacities and overall, nice graphics and no need for upgrades for at least a year or two, and if it could be done at a reasonable price, all the better.  The Vostro 1500 delivered that  and much more.  I choose a smaller hard drive to get the more powerfull T8100 Dual Core Processor, the 3 GBs of RAM, and couldn't be more pleased with the results.  This laptop by no means is a gaming laptop, however, in terms of what it needs to do, it does well. Vista on this model has been a dream and after this experience, I can no longer complain about Vista.  Any Vostro, desktop or laptop is a great value for anyone in the market for a laptop or desktop, upgrades are reasonable, the system is solid as a rock, and its super easy and cost effective to get ahold of a reasonable machine that I feel in many ways is better than its consumer line twin sister, the Inspiron.  One thing I've always hated about Inspiron was integrated graphics and option for dedicated graphis, the Vostro thankfully, does not have this issue and at the time of my purchase, a 128 Nivida 8400 GS graphics card was a free upgrade .A word of caution with Dell is to be carefull with their Vostro 1310/1510/1710 models, at the time I made the order for my Vostro, I went for a 1510, thinking of keeping a system I wouldn't need to upgrade on for a couple years at least.  However there was a issue with Dell and their system I believe, so unless things have changed, be weary of ordering the newer versions and stick with the older models, they are great and nowhere near half the run around I go, although a word of credit to Dell Customer Service for their small and medium business lines: their customer service did a excellent job.  When the issues hit with my first order, the Dell Vostro 1500 was sitting on my front porch the next day.Other than that, I have nothing but praise for this particular model and for Dell in general.  They truly provide the consumer with a great value and product and so far have been worth every penny I've spent with them.

Dell Vostro 1500 is not a laptop I would recommend

I have had Dell Vostro 1500 laptop for a few years now. It was an excellent laptop for awhile and then it started slowing down on me, and things weren't working so well. I can say this, it is very sturdy but as far as the performance it wasn't at all what I expected. Luckily, this laptop was gifted to me, but had I boughten it myself I would have been just as disappointed. It still works, but it takes forever to load things. And if you are like me, not very patient with technology, I believe you would agree what I say to be true. Besides, isn't technology suppose to as accurate as it states to be afterall? I think Dell needs to really start stepping up to the plate, because there are so many new brands of laptops out there now that are beating them at their game. I use to have faith in Dell, but ever since this laptop I can't help but question their technology anymore. I have heard that Asus is pretty good, I hear it's up there with alienware which are suppose to be excellent laptops, especially for the gamers, which is mostly what they are built for. But at any rate, whether for business or even other entertainment I would definately look into those brands.

Great, long-lasting laptop - but back-up your hard drive often

Comments about Dell Notebook PC:

I've had this laptop as my primary computer for 6 years now. In that time, I've had to replace the hard drive three times. The factory hard drive wore out in less than 8 months (while still under warranty), the Dell replacement wore out 17 months later (3 months after the 2-year warranty ended). The Seagate I replaced it with lasted just over 3 years but died with no warning. I replaced that with a steady-state drive, which has lasted 1 year with no problems thus far. The laptop has a nice, big, clear screen, but it's a bit heavy and big for carrying around. It still runs fast and handles everything I need it to do with ease, even though it's over 6 years old now. The Windows XP OS will be obsolete soon, but the Dell Vostro has been a good workhorse.

Battery Life
I got an extended life battery, which lasted over 8 hours on a charge for years, even though I abused it by keeping it plugged in all the time. I've only had to buy one replacement battery, after 5 years, though the old one still kept a charge for 1-2 hours.

Support & Service
Dell replaced my hard drive when it failed while in warranty, but I had to install the replacement myself. When I first got my laptop, I found the 'p' key difficult to use (would fail to respond ~10% of the time), but Dell refused to service that.

Speed/Performance
Considering its age, this laptop still performs amazingly well, handling most tasks quickly. RAM is only a problem if I'm trying to make it do too many things at once with a gazillion internet tabs open.

The extended life battery sticks out, and it's bigger than most laptops because of the large screen. There are media buttons on the front (volume controls, play, pause, etc.) -- the volume ones in particular are very handy. The full-sized keyboard is nice, but the track pad is overly sensitive; I can't type without accidentally moving the mouse, unless I have a regular mouse plugged in and the trackpad disabled.

7 years old and still in great shape. It lost points for the hard drive issue, but if you replace it with a steady-state hard drive, that shouldn't be an issue.

• Battery Life:
  • Support & Service:
  • Speed/Performance:

The Vostro 1500 powerhouse on the go.

from Golconda, IL

Comments about Dell Notebook PC:

What can I say about this machine that has not already been said?  These are the toughest, most reliable computers in the Dell line-up.  While this particular model is no longer available ( had for over a year now), it is still very current from a technological perspective and I suspect that the replacement models are just as useable.

The first thing I noticed was the Duo Core processor was able to handle several tasks at once with great ease.  I was editing video and visiting social networking sites while playing music on the Windows Media Player and all the while McAfee Security Center was running a complete system scan in the background.  There wasn't a hiccup across any of the applications.  It was remarkable!

With the weight this machine may not be for everyone.  I got the extended battery pack and have used it on occasion and I STILL get seven plus hours out of it.  My last notebook was smaller with a 4 hour battery (also a Dell) and the battery started to fade within one month.

So if you have strong arms or if you just need a desktop replacement system, the Vostros have my vote of confidence.  As tough as my old Twinhead and as fast as any desktop out there on the market today.

Light, comfortable Keyboard, fast

from Terry, MS

Comments about Dell Notebook PC:

We finally gave in and purchased a laptop to replace our old desktop that was on it's last leg.    The desktop was running so slowly I thought we were back on a dial-up service again.   I was also transferring files between my house and a friend's that I was doing some work for.   Now, with the laptop, I can bring it with me - so much easier and stress-free.

I am technically challenged and get the vapors even thinking about having to shop for anything technical.      My husband found the Dell Vostro 1510 for me.    I'm very happy with the size.    The screen is big enough to read from comfortably.     It is very thin and light-weight.    I can fit it in my bag with my personal items and my paperwork and carry it everywhere.

The keyboard is very comfortable.   I like the hand rest area.   It supports my wrists and keeps me in a better position.

I had to adjust to using the touch-mouse pad.   It is very sensitive and I can probably adjust that as soon as I learn how.    I have not played any games on the laptop.   I'll probably hook up a regular mouse to do that with.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the Dell Vostro 1510.    The price was higher than a desktop, but worth the extra considering the convenience.

The Dell Vostro 1500 is a solid, dependable laptop.

from New Milford, NJ

Comments about Dell Notebook PC:

I use the Dell Vostro 1500 laptop for everything from web surfing to running statistics programs (in R).  It runs everything successfully, even when multiple people are logged in. The screen is large enough to read and the keyboard is easy to use.

It can be a bit hot; I recommend using a laptop cooler to keep your lap (and the computer) cool.  Also, the hibernate and stand by functions can be a bit quirky - it take a few seconds and it will not complete if you close the lid of the laptop before it is done.

Solid, serious laptop for business users

from Denver, CO

Comments about Dell Notebook PC:

After 18 months, I can easily recommend this laptop. The graphics are clear, keyboard is a good size (though it intermittently has a problem with "lag" that Dell can't seem to figure out), the built-in Dell pre-N wireless card has performed consistently (though, I would suggest you get the optional Intel card instead to ensure connectivity accross the board), and overall response is good.

My machine has a 1.8gHZ Dual Core processor and I have upgraded it to 4GB of RAM (2GB worked well, but I am heavy on machines). I got the 512MB dedicated VRAM -- and connect it to projectors for presentations all the time -- the NVidia card in it does a good job with dual monitor mode. A 7200prm hard drive option was not available at the time of purchase, but it would be nice.

One of the best things I've found is quick recharge of the battery.

Don't be surprised, this is not a notebook -- it's weight is consistent with laptops. It will respond with good, solid service, however, making a viable desktop replacement for many.

Great laptop performance for the price!

from Fort Lauderdale, FL

Comments about Dell Notebook PC:

I have had my Vostro 1500 for 4 years now with very minor issues. I am computer literate, so I am able to fix most issues myself. My husband accidentally pulled my laptop off the desk when he stepped on the cord. It caused my hard drive to crash and fail, but Dell immediately replaced it (under warranty). I would suggest maxing out memory and purchasing a higher end battery (lithium-ion) with a longer battery life for more optimal performance. Sometimes spending a little bit more money makes a huge difference in the long run. Overall this is an excellent choice for basic level computing like surfing the internet, watching videos, and sending email. If you have more higher end graphics needs for gaming, I would not choose this laptop.

Dell Vostro Notebook - Great laptop

from Seymour, IN

Comments about Dell Notebook PC:

I recently purchased a Dell Vostro Notebook or laptop computer. This was purchased for home use and some office work to do from home. It has been a great notebook with one noted problem which I think I have finally solved. It has many power saving features and one of these is to disable the wireless adapter when going into sleep or hibernation mode. Needless to say I am always having to restart the notebook or enable the wireless adapter to access the internet. I have finally found the option to stop this power saving feature. It is now an awesome notebook with all the features needed for great home and work use. Very lightweight and thin to carry with you. Definetly would recommend to anyone.

I wouldn't recommend this to anyone

from New York, NY

Comments about Dell Notebook PC:

It's a good laptop if your looking for a budget laptop.

Cons: I had problem with it after only 2 weeks. All the usb ports are glitched. When I tried to connect a external mouse it would come off and on whenever it wanted and when I tried tranferring music to my Blackberry it would just stop transferring unexpectedly. Sometimes it would work fine but most of the time it was a hassle. After 2 months the battery was useless. I couldn't get more then 30-45 minutes of power with the Power Saver settings on. The speakers are underneath the laptop. If you have the laptop on a desk you won't be able to hear much even with the volume is turned up all the way. The design is pretty avenge.

Pros: Right out the box the bettery stayed on for about 3 hours without a charge when I had the Power Saver settings on. The keyboard is simple. The mouse is responsive and easy enough to use. It has a good graphics card. I was able to play the latest games on it and run some graphic programs without any problems.

This Dell Vostro was good but is outdated.

from International Falls, MN

Comments about Dell Notebook PC:

This was a great computer when I bought it 3 years ago. However, it is outdated. I've especially had trouble with the power cords. They will work for about 4-6 months and they'll just stop working. So if you are looking for a laptop. I wouldn't recommend this one. Get something newer.

almost 3 years now and working without a glitch

from Houston, TX

Comments about Dell Notebook PC:

I had no problems with it for almost 3 years now. That says everything.

I did not take good care of it and at some point it started to overheat. Dell was amazing and

replaced my fans the very next day.

I guess it can be considered a bit bulky  but for me this was not an issue as I rarely move it around.

After almost 3 years of usage, which amount to 7-8 hours per day on average, I can still get more than 2 hours out of the battery.

It was pretty easy to upgrade it and install new RAM memory.

I was impressed with the quality of the DVD drive. I had a bunch of DVDs that almost no DVD reader would read. I tried them again and again on multiple computers and none worked. They worked the first time on my laptop, even though, I admit, the quality of those DVDs was not that great.

I had Windows installed on it (first Vista and now Windows 7) and had maybe 2 crashes (freezes) until now. I would say it performed amazingly well.