View more laptops

Dell Latitude Notebook/Laptop PC

Dell Latitude Notebook/Laptop PC

3.8

Cons

light, attractive, and reliable.

My latest laptop. I'm a computer technician of 5 years now. A computer science major in college.  Great laptop. The lattitude series of the Dell laptops are a great way to go if you are a business type or college student that is tuff on their PC.  The computer has a removable bay that you can swap for a CD/DVD drive, floppy drive (HA), modular bay hard drive for extra storage, or even a 2nd battery for those who can call themselves road warriors.  The wide screen is something that is needed for the newer vista OS if you are one who uses its sidebar or the google sidebar if you dont want your screeen to be cramped. Also if you ise the computer to watch movies.  It comes in 32bit and 64bit cpus, and mine currently has 4GBs of RAM.  It comes optional with a thumb print reader if you want that extra bit of security for logging into your computer.  Can have bluetooth added internaly.  The basic wireless that comes with it is not all that impressive but can be called reliable.  The switch on the side alows you to turn the wireless of with ease, saving lots of battery life. and the Fn key allows you to change screen brightness for the same purpose.  The case is a nice clolr and texture.  The mouse pad could be slightly larger but is acceptable for the size of the computer.  If you get the thumbprint reader the bottom mouse buttones will be cut down in size which may be a little agrivating when you first start to use it.  Volume buttons and mute are located alongside the power button above the keyboard, along with the status lights, inluding HDD access power, and wifi, along with the others such as numlock caps lock and scroll lock.  I've had this computer for about 9 months now and just love it. I carry it around in my backpack which is designed for a laptop of its size and it is in still good standing case wise. My old laptops hinges were weakend by being put in the bag from shifting around books and other items. but the case on the lattitude series like i said is always impressive.  It a strong laptop, and with the right specs can be amazing. Note, though that if you want to use this computer for games, you will need to get the NVIDIA video card as the standard one uses shared memory which just doesnt cut it, especially with vista.  If you put Linux Ubuntu on this laptop all things work out of the box which is a great plus. One con that i can think of is that it seems to run hotter then its larger companion the D820.

Better than previous models, but still gets quite hot

I have used this laptop for about six months as a work PC. I used to have a Dell in another job, and the quality seems to have improved dramatically. Six months in, my old Latitiude would start to get burning hot, which eventually needed a replacement--twice. So far, while this one has started to get hot, it still has worked relatively well.The Wifi switch on the side is also a plus, as you don't have to go through Windows to turn it off, which is really convenient. The keyboard is also better than my older Latitude's was, as the keys aren't popping off (I am type quite hard). Finally, peformance-wise it's been able to handle most things I throw at it, though like most business laptops don't expect to play any games on it.As for the cons, I would say the big one is that it still gets hot on the left side. My last PC was a Thinkpad and, while it was aweful looking, it never got hot and seemed to have superior build quality as compared to the Dell. Given that laptops are not all created equal like PCs seem to be, I wouldn't be surprised if this Dell will go out within the next year. The other major cons are not huge, mainly that for some reason it defaults turning your ethernet card off when you are on battery and even if you turn this off, it will reset to on if Windows crashes or anything like that. It's super-annoying when you are trying to plug in the laptop without using the wireless, and really not necessary as the ethernet card doesn't really use much power relative to the Wifi or anything else. The other thing that is annoying is the docking station, as you have to manually undock eack time unless you want the PC to freeze. Even if you do, I find that multiple dock/undocks will end up leading to a restart, which is frustrating.Overall I would say that I am happy with the laptop--I would give it 3.5 stars if I could. The still excessive heat on the left side, which does end up hurting performance after a while, as well as the annoying power saving feature of the ethernet connection hurt it. Finally, the overall build just isn't a sturdy as a Thinkpad, which is why I can't give it 4.5 stars like I would the Thinkpad.

Very good

from NY

About Me Technically Challenged

Pros

• Fast
  • Quality Display

Cons

• Poorly Designed Keyboard

• Business Use

Comments about Dell Latitude Notebook/Laptop PC:

I like it very much, it's fast, durable, light weight, I recommend this type

• Primary use:
  • Business

Buy More Than One , Really !

from Tunisia

Pros

• Fast

Cons

• Heavy

• Web Browsing

Comments about Dell Latitude Notebook/Laptop PC:

i really like this product , it's Fast and Good for surfing the net with safety

• Primary use:
  • Personal

dell latitude 620 is a great laptop i like it alot

from Columbus, OH

Comments about Dell Latitude Notebook/Laptop PC:

the dell latitude 620  laptop computer is a great computer i actually own one and i love it i may not have a built in camera but is a very good computer if you are on the go like i am is a nice computer to use

I couldn't live without my Dell D620

from Donaldsonville, LA

Comments about Dell Latitude Notebook/Laptop PC:

My Dell is not new, not fancy, but its perfect for me. I upgraded the harddrive this year, and added memory, and even my computer nerd brother like my old Dell. I don't have any trouble with it, easy to carry around, with WiFi, its perfect any where I go.

works fine

from San Mateo, CA

Comments about Dell Latitude Notebook/Laptop PC:

it works fine for me. compare to my old thinkpad, it has a similar pointing device and comfortable keyboard.it works fine for me. compare to my old thinkpad, it has a similar pointing device and comfortable keyboard.it works fine for me. compare to my old thinkpad, it has a similar pointing device and comfortable keyboard.it works fine for me. compare to my old thinkpad, it has a similar pointing device and comfortable keyboard.it works fine for me. compare to my old thinkpad, it has a similar pointing device and comfortable keyboard.it works fine for me. compare to my old thinkpad, it has a similar pointing device and comfortable keyboard.

Better than previous models, but still gets quite hot

from Palo Alto, CA

Comments about Dell Latitude Notebook/Laptop PC:

Strong computer with great reliability

from Herndon, VA

Comments about Dell Latitude Notebook/Laptop PC:

The Dell Latitude D620 is not a laptop to laugh off.  With its Core2Duo processor and a 1 Gig of memory this machine is quite the monster.  I bought one of these and upgraded to 2 Gig's of memory for applications and have been quite pleased.This machine can run power hungry applications such as Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Premiere with little difficulty, play movies smoothly, and power the graphic intensive games like World of Warcraft smoothly.The downside to this machine, the laptop speakers definetly have something to be desired as they often crackle and the quality is low.This is a great laptop for your average/mid-average gamer or just a laptop to browse the internet.  The widescreen LCD offers plenty of viewing room.The cooling system has been moved from under the laptop to the side (where it exhausts to the top left of the system.  This allows the laptop to truly be a laptop as the vents cannot be easily covered by your lap or clothing.Overall, this is a solid PC that will give you a run for its money.

VERY reliable

from San Ramon, CA

Comments about Dell Latitude Notebook/Laptop PC:

I like the stick mouse pointer provided by Dell. I used to be a thinkpad user, so very glad to find this device from Dell. Reliable, will buy again if I want to upgrade in the future.I like the stick mouse pointer provided by Dell. I used to be a thinkpad user, so very glad to find this device from Dell. Reliable, will buy again if I want to upgrade in the future.I like the stick mouse pointer provided by Dell. I used to be a thinkpad user, so very glad to find this device from Dell. Reliable, will buy again if I want to upgrade in the future.

Does the job - but next time I'm getting a Mac.

from Washington, DC

Comments about Dell Latitude Notebook/Laptop PC:

All in all this laptop works pretty well.  It serves our home usage needs.  It's a bit clunky for travel and we do have difficulty between the laptop and docking station occasionally.  Based on multiple work and home experiences with Dell, I'm crossing my fingers as I'm starting to think that they program the things to die two months after the end of the warranty period (which just happened to me at work).

Nice little laptop!

from Meridian, ID

Comments about Dell Latitude Notebook/Laptop PC:

I use the Dell Lattitude D620 for work every day and love it.  It is very reliable and easy to use.  I have not had any problems with this laptop at all.

The screen is clear and very easy to see.  The size is perfect, not too big where I can't take it back and forth to work with me or travel with it.  The laptop is not heavy in the least, fairly light for a laptop this size.  It is not so small where you feel like it is a pain to use, both with the keyboard and the size of the screen.

The battery life on this laptop generally lasts for a good amount of time, I have never had it run out on me while working.  I charge it before I take it anywhere and am good for the day.  I have not had to replace the battery yet and have had this machine for over a year.

I am not big on laptops due to the size of the keyboards and the touchpad, but I plug in a wireless mouse to the laptop and it is just like using a regular desktop.