View more laptops

E6400
Dell Latitude Notebook/Laptop PC

Dell Latitude Notebook/Laptop PC

3.8

Dell Latitude E6400 is powerful, but could be better.

To start with, the casing on the Dell Latitude E6400 seems to be cheap.  Although, the cases do provide hard drive shock protection it seems the money would have been better spent on using better materials for a case.  Being that it has a Wimax adapter makes it a pain using an external Sprint card.  Where this laptop is most lacking is on the video card.  The laptop came with 8GBs of memory and the i7 Intel Core chip set, however they went weak on the video card.  The keyboard backlight is great if you are in a dark environment, but very annoying how it turns on all the time; from what I could tell there is no way to turn it off at certain times.  It is also very annoying that you have to install drivers that prepackage other software, the chipset driver also came with an Intel suite that basically does nothing but eat up memory.  The option should have been given for a custom install to remove the intel software and just install the driver.  Right out of the box the camera looks like it fell out of place and is sitting crooked; also in relation to the camera I did a brand new install of Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate and big suprise, Dell does not offer the software download to use the camera.  The BIOS is a lot nice than previos models though and boot time seems to be quicker, though I wish I would have gone the SSD route as this would no doubt increase boot time even more.  I recommend to all that right from the get go just do a fresh install of Windows to get rid of all the Dell installed software as it is not needed.

better than average but still average laptop

Dell E6400 is somehow entry level biz laptop, it features illuniated keyboard. The basic configuration is Intel Core 2 Duo CPU P8600@2.40 Ghz, 2GB RAM, and an entry level graphics card,...Read complete review

Dell E6400 is somehow entry level biz laptop, it features illuniated keyboard. The basic configuration is Intel Core 2 Duo CPU P8600@2.40 Ghz, 2GB RAM, and an entry level graphics card, plus ample hard disk.

The laptop itself is a little bit heavy (5 to 6 pounds). It's pretty stable and durable since I've owned it for about one year. The computer is on almost all the time. I rarely need to reboot the computer.

The look of the laptop is average, at this age with the quick advance of technology, I would expect it to be used for at most two years before I can neglect any value it still remains. From this aspect it's still a budget laptop with satisfactory quality.

In general the build quality of Dell is comparable to the HP, they are both inferior to the computer maker like Sony or Lenovo, not to mention Apple. But since the cost is typically much lower, it makes up for the difference. The purchasing price on the dell.com is usually much higher than it would actually sell, so you'd need to do your homework either by picking up a coupon somewhere or have some promotional link to get the thing you want, it's usally at least 20% cheaper than it's marked.

E6400 - Powerful desktop replacement

from Oconomowoc, WI

Comments about Dell Latitude Notebook/Laptop PC:

This was the new line in the standard line of laptops to be used by my work. The last style was the dell 620 latitudes. This was a huge performance boost over that last line of laptops.

We had to upgrade our set to 8GB of memory, and that really helped, since we run virtual machines for demo purposes. I have to say that this laptop has been quite rugged and powerful for everything we have been doing.

I have noticed one downside to it. It tends to overheat, or at least it thought it was overheating. The speedstep was getting clocked down for a while, when the laptop thought it was over heating, but a bios release about 6 months ago fixed that. But the laptop itself still does overheat periodically. Found that it only takes about 2 weeks for the air vents and fan to get clogged up a bit with dust. Which apparently that is all it takes to cause overheating, is a little bit of dust. My desk area is really clean, and is cleaned every day, but I have gone through 2 cleanings/replacements in the last 3 months.

Overall, this laptop has the performance for its class, but the overheating issue really makes this laptop questionable.

• Battery Life:
  • Support & Service:
  • Speed/Performance:

Dell Latitude E6400 Notebook / Laptop - Great performer

from Houston, TX

Comments about Dell Latitude Notebook/Laptop PC:

I got one of these laptops at work, for my daily tasks.

Initially, I didn't think much of it, as it seemed kind of sluggish while I worked. The thing is this was probably more than likely cause by the load that my company puts on these (lots of background programs running cehckig things and "Big Brothering" you... BTW, the OS that was instaled was WIndows XP.

Recently, we had a "makeover" done on it, where they changed the load for the new one, and this was changed to a load based on windows 7.  I must say, the laptop now response much quicker than before, and it really is a pleasure to work with!

I usually have several programs open at a time, lots of admin tools for networking, and this handles them all like a champ. Likewise, we tried loading it up with a Linux live CD (Ubuntu) and that really made it fly (of course, no sneaky programs in the background, right?)

We're talking about a C2D processor, @ 2.8Ghz, with 4GB of RAM, and the graphics, well ok, not so great, but this is intended to be a business laptop, not a gaming platform, so if you're looking for that, go get yourself an Alienware machine :D

If you're need of heavy duty laptopts for your company/business, the E6400 is a serious candidate to consider, and you won't go wrong with it.

• Battery Life:
  • Support & Service:
  • Speed/Performance:

A good machine for the business

from Bellevue, WA

Comments about Dell Latitude Notebook/Laptop PC:

My experience comes from using this laptop in the workplace environment. Let's just say "it takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin!"

**THE GOOD**

- **Good processor **- Has an Intel Core 2 Duo, which is a great processor. I'm thrifty, so I'm an AMD guy at home. The folks at work can spring for the Intel chips, and they are very nice. :)

- **Memory **- Upgradeable to 8GB RAM, which has been very effective for business use.

- **Strong design** - this thing is sturdy - probably one of its best features. I frequently rest it on its side (with the lid open) and it has not damaged the hinges. The hinges are strong! Much stronger than the hinges on my old Dell.

- **Gigabit speeds** - Comes with a Gigabit NIC, which is awesome for transferring files across the network. For anyone who transfers a lot of files, make sure you get a gigabit ethernet card on all of your devices, and pair that with Cat 5e or Cat 6 cables.

**THE BAD**

- **Weight** - Is a bit heavy. It hurts my back to lug this thing around in my backpack. I frequently bike to work (sometimes jog) and it messes up my neck to run with this thing in the back.

- **Hard Drive** - only came with 80 GB. Weaksauce. Also, only came with 2 GB of RAM. Maybe, my work was being cheap? I don't know. But those specs are very weak!

- **Bad USB Ports **- some have already died. What's up with that?

**OVERALL**

Is a great, solid machine for heavy business use. It can take a beating and keep on ticking. I just wish it was a little bit lighter.

Dell Latitude E6400 is powerful, but could be better.

from Saint Louis, MO

Dell Laptop that Runs Great

from Philadelphia, PA

Comments about Dell Latitude Notebook/Laptop PC:

I received my Dell Latitude E6400 laptop about a year ago from my university.  It was an upgrade from the previous versions we had the year before.  I must say its the best laptop I've ever had.

It comes equipped with a 14 inch screen.  Mines has an Intel Core 2 Duo processor, clocked at 2.66Ghz and 2GB of RAM, which is plenty for what I use it for.  It also comes equipped with a DVD/CD drive, capable of burning both DVD's and CD's at quick speeds.  Wireless is built in and a breeze to set up.  My laptop came with Windows XP, but I quickly upgraded to Windows 7, and there was no looking back from there.

The speakers are 1 inch speakers I believe.  They aren't the best I've ever had, and lack bass at times, but they get to a good volume for listening to music or watching videos.  The screen gets insanely bright.  I keep mines on the lowest setting, but it can basically light up a dark room with ease.

My model also came equipped with the extended battery Dell offers.  Its like an extra inch off the back of the previous battery.  Its great and offers about 8 hours surfing time on here.  If I'm doing any hardcore computing it will last about 5 hours.

Great laptop, very sturdy, I dropped it a few times and still no problems.  Definitely recommend to anyone considering a new laptop at a mid ranged price tag.

Sleek new look, decent performance.

from Cockeysville, MD

Comments about Dell Latitude Notebook/Laptop PC:

I was quite happy when I started my new job and they handed me my Dell Latitude E6400. The new look of the Latitude was appealing and sleek. The indurstrial brushed black metal was a definite plus in comparison to the older Latitude's more "plasticy" look and feel. The sound was decent, the volume was great, but don't expect this to serve much more pupose than an office machine. Stereo sound is not something you will get here. Ample USB ports, that's a plus as I work in IT and use them all! The machine's perfomance using Windows XP decent. Out of the box it was not lickety split, but not terribly slow. I have, however been using this machine for about a year and have experienced NO degidation of performance, nor any other hardware related issues. Integrated wireless performs without a hitch as well. The graphics appear sharp and appealing.

Powerful machine..

from Tampa, FL

Comments about Dell Latitude Notebook/Laptop PC:

I got this laptop a month back. Very powerful one, within the price limits. Compatible with windows XP also. Easy to use. Medium stylish. With all the features i wated, like wireless, microphone, webcam, bluetooth, fingerprint sensor etc... Good battery back-up also.

The Dell LATITUDE E6400 will satisify all of yur computer needs

from Galax, VA

Comments about Dell Latitude Notebook/Laptop PC:

The **Dell LATITUDE E6400 will meet all of yur computer needs.  It has plenty of memory to handle all of your needs.  Whether your store pictures or video it will meet your needs.  It is an attractive computer.  It is light weight so your can take it any where.**

**You will love this computer.**

A great deal

from Fort Leavenworth, KS

Comments about Dell Latitude Notebook/Laptop PC:

This is a great laptop. A good value for money. it has a nice RAM, a 4 GB affair, which really makes the laptop real fast and really assists multitasking. The laptop is also rugged and has a decent sized 14.1 inches screen. It's USP, however, really is the onsite warranty provided by Dell. And really, as against the apprehensions some people may about it, and I have heard a few myself, it's wonderful and these people really help you out in time and as per your satisfaction. For some people, the price tag on this laptop might not justify the purchase, specially so as it does not have many essential features such as an integrated bluetooth device, an integrated web camera, and an internal microphone. It's hard disk capacity may also be on the lower side for some users, at 250 Giga Hertz. But I can assure those having such questions in their minds, that such small features, as described above can be added on at an inconsequential cost, thus still making this laptop a great deal.

better than average but still average laptop