View more laptops

BLCWJ1S
Dell Latitude D630 Notebook PC

Dell Latitude D630 Notebook PC

3.6

Dude, I got a Dell! And I don't agree with others complaints!

Most people get a laptop at my job because they travel a lot, I get it because I travel *around the building* a lot!  I'm the "driver" in most meetings, meaning I connect my laptop to the projector and navigate whatever we want to see.  Previously we had IBM's (Levano's) but recently we began the switch to Dell.  I was excited, not because it was Dell, but because it was a new computer and my current laptop was a mess!

**The Good of the Dell D630.** On the plus side, I've had none of my IBM problems since I got a dell.  For example, there is a daily backup that runs on everyone's computers.  With the IBM, it would slow my computer so much that I could not do anything else.  I had IT guys come clean up my laptop many times and they commented "this is the slowest computer ever!"  I swear, I think I got a used messed up laptop.  Well with my Dell I run the backup, and not only does it finish really quick, but my computer actually works at full speed while it is running!

My IBM often got "tired" and I'd have to reset it.  I do a lot at work, often have 10 things open at the same time.  The IBM would burn out and need a nap, but I rarely have to reset my Dell during the day.  I shut it down every night and that's about the only time I reset it.  Other than that, I can go all 8.5 hours at work with no slow downs or problems.

The D630 has a slightly wider screen then my old laptop, but it's still only medium sized.  I love the size!  My husband likes his laptop larger and I think his is too big.  Mine is easy to carry, easy to put on my lap, and not clunky at all.  It's only about 1/2" thick with the lid closed.  There is a little space on either side of the keyboard and the keyboard is a decent size.  At work, I use the Extended Desktop feature that you can set up so that it's automatically working when I put my laptop on the docking station.  What happens is I then can use my laptop screen AND my monitor at the same time!  Suddenly comparing spreadsheets has become 10x easier because I can actually see both at once!  Many people at work that don't have Dell's yet are jealous :)

The touchpad took some adjusting to get it just right.  I had to keep playing with the settings over a few days until it moved the way I wanted.  Now it moves great, but I still prefer to have a mouse.  Finally, the battery life is great so far!  My old laptop died within 30-40 minutes of unplugged use.  This Dell can go 2 hours or more without the battery warning!  Yay!  Sometimes I just want to pull it out for an hour to do some things and I don't want to plug it in, now I don't have to.

**But it's not perfect.**  For one thing, I can never put my Dell to sleep.  I used to all the time with my IBM, but many times I put my Dell in stand by, and when I went to wake it up, the screen would never come up.  The computer would make noises as if it woke up, and the lights would come on, but the screen wouldn't.  The IT guys couldn't figure out what was wrong, so I just turned off the sleep settings completely and now I have to shut it down, there's no sleeping for this Dell.  That wastes some time for me when I just want to put it to sleep to travel from Work to Home, but I guess it's good to give it another reset instead.

The buttons on the keyboard are not as clearly separated as my IBM buttons were.  On the IBM it was easy for me to feel where the F1-13 buttons were, I could easily feel the Home, End, Delete, etc because they were all grouped separately.  However the Dell mushes all the keys together so you can't easily feel where keys are, which can be hard if it's dark.  Speaking of dark, my IBM had a small spotlight I could turn on to see the keyboard in the dark, my Dell does not (at least not one that I found) and I miss that.

**Overall this Dell has been great, and I don't understand why so many people hate them.**  Many people at my work were making jokes about us moving to Dell and assuming it would be a big problem, but so far so good for me.  The only real problem I have is the Sleep thing which I can live without.  What really matters is that it runs fast, allows me to have multiple things open, and does all this in a lightweight container.  I didn't have to pay for it, but I would buy a Dell if I had to in the future!  It's great!!

If your Latitude D630 breaks don't bother calling Dell.

I am reviewing the Dell Latitude D630. Asthetically, it is very bland. Now laptops have different colors, and the HP laptops are shiny with designs on them.

This is...Read complete review

This is just a basic computer, with not many (if at all) upgrades. There is a built in microphone, but that's the only thing I could find that possibly not every other laptop has. There is no webcam, no finger print readers (although I think that is stupid anyways), no nothing.

I had trouble with my laptop connecting to the internet. I called Dell probably 10-15 times. Every single time the person was like "well I can tell something is wrong with it, I just don't know how to fix it." It was so frustrating. Finally my father called and screamed at the manager, and I got a new laptop. Their customer service really isn't that great- most of the people are foreign and you can't understand what they are saying.

Overall this is an ok computer. If you want any cool gadgets, I wouldn't get this one, but it gets the job done- word processing and the internet, which is what mostly everyone uses it for anyways.

I can't get enough of it!

Comments about Dell Latitude D630 Notebook PC:

I received my Dell Latitude D630 Notebook PC for my birthday this year back in February. I absolutely love this computer! I used to have a Sony Vaio and it crashed pretty quick. It actually locked me out of my desktop and would not even let me in under Admin. My Dell Latitude D630 Notebook has never given me a single problem however. I am actually using it to write this very review! I love it! I am a big massive multiplayer online roll playing game fan and World of Warcraft is my favorite. World of Warcraft is a humongous game and my Dell Latitude D630 Notebook handles it like it was solitaire or something. I play it a lot and that is the whole reason why I wanted this laptop. I could not be more satisfied than I am with this laptop pc.

Battery Life
It lasts about two hours.

Speed/Performance
Holds World of Warcraft, one of the world's largest massive multiplayer online role playing games, with ease.

• Battery Life:
  • Support & Service:
  • Speed/Performance:

Dell D630 -- great workhorse

from Plano, TX

I have the d630 laptop for more than 3 yrs now

Pros

It is a workhorse,light weight , absolutely loved th 9 cell battery goes beyound the 1 hr battery life.

cons

no HDMI

Ram is expensive

can be extended to 4 gig max

Dell Latitude D630 Notebook - Average at most

from Houston, TX

Comments about Dell Latitude D630 Notebook PC:

This was the first laptop I received at my company, where I work as a network engineer.

First impressions seemed nice, after all, C2D, 2GB Ram, more than enough disk, what else could I want?

The thing is that after working with it for a while, for somereason it became quite sluggish. Opening programs sometimes takes longer than it should, and the same could be said for bootup.

The wireless switch instead of being nicely integrated in a "cool looking" way, is a switch on the side that is pretty ugly to say the least.

Battery life is shorter thatn I'd expect, having had to ask for a new battery in less than a year (of course that could have been just bad luck and a bad battery).

If I had to say something good about it, I would note it has plenty of ports, with 4 USB inputs, Firewire, Smartcard reader, and also, quite strange these days, Modem and Serial port (which in my business is a must).

Overall it's not that I'm dissatisfied with the laptop, I'm just not too thrilled about it. It's just "OK",

• Battery Life:
  • Support & Service:
  • Speed/Performance:

Too many stability problems

from Rocklin, CA

Comments about Dell Latitude D630 Notebook PC:

I've had this machine from work for the last year or so.  There have been a lot of stability issues.

- With Windows controlling the wireless card, I sometimes don't get connected.

- With Dell controlling the wireless card, the computer cycles through all the networks that it has previously connected to trying to make a connection.  This means waiting up to a minute or longer before you establish a wireless connection when powering up from standby.

- Recently, without changing any of the settings on the computer, the monitor refused to work when connected to a docking station.  I called the help desk thinking it was a problem with the docking station.  They made me change the settings so that the computer does not automatically standby when the lid is shut.  Then the monitor started working.

- The machine cannot function without being rebooted at least once a day.  Problems include freezing up or becoming excessively slow.

I've used HP and Thinkpad computers.  They are both better than the Dell, with Thinkpad being my top pick.

Dell Latitude D630 is a perfect work computer

from Minneapolis, MN

Comments about Dell Latitude D630 Notebook PC:

I've had my Dell Latitude D630 for about a year.  The monitor had some glitches recently and I had to use a loner computer for a week.  OMG I realized how easy the Dell Latitude D630 was to use.  I missed how the computer learned my writing, I realized how form fitting it was to me and the way I worked.  I was able to tweek it to be exactly what I wished it to be - it makes work easier, faster and more fun to do!

Its also easy to doc at work - hooking it up to an external minitor and keyboard/mouse make it an ease to take back and forth from home to work.

I've always liked Dell - but I have to say that the Dell Latitude D630 is the computer for me.  The only part that hasn't worked as well as I had wished it would is the finger printer reader - it works like it should but it slows down log in time considerably.

Overall I'd buy another Dell Latitude if needed.  The good thing is that this grows with me and the need for a new one isn't there yet!

It never lets me down!

from Los Angeles, CA

Comments about Dell Latitude D630 Notebook PC:

I own a **Dell Latitude D630 Notebook PC **and love it! It travels with me everywhere, practically everyday. I don't use the verb 'travel' lightly. My Dell Latitude D630 Notebook PC is my constant companion on Los Angeles' public transportation system. I carry it in my backback from one part of LA to another, over long distances, by rail, bus and foot. It's been banged around, exposed to extreme weather, and it powered up and powered off more times than I'd like to admit. It's never failed me, or even given me a scare.

This is the fourth laptop I've owned over the past six years. I use it for school (I'm a full-time student) and take it with me practically everywhere. I'd highly recommend my Dell Latitude to anyone, and certainly have, many many times!

Solid design and nice amount of IO Interfaces!

from Pittsburgh, PA

Comments about Dell Latitude D630 Notebook PC:

This d630 is great it still has some of the legacy interfaces such as a serial port. newer laptops force serial users to use usb to convert signal forcing the tech to have to cary adapters and load additional drivers. I currently run windows 7 on this unit and it runs like a champ. All hardware was recognized upon load and the install isnt lagged or anything the hardware internally is decent. My unit has a core 2 duo processor and 2gb of ram. I plan on putting 4g service card into the unit once a low profile one comes available. There is a dvd drive and cdburner with this unit, dont use them that much. There are alot of usb ports and video out as well as network jack and wifi built in. for a 15 inch laptop this one does the trick without a lot of frills.

dell latitude D630 notebook PC IS A MUST

from Little Neck, NY

Comments about Dell Latitude D630 Notebook PC:

EVERY LOVER OF DELL PRODUCT SHOULD GET DELL LATITUDE D 630 NOTEBOOK PC! IT HAS ALMOST EVERYTHING YOU NEED FROM BURNING MOVIES TO MAKING CALLS USING GOOGLE GMAIL IN A WEB BROWSER! WHAT ESPECIALLY I LIKE ABOUT IT, IS THAT IT HAS A SUPER FAST CHIP PROCESSORS THAT MAKE YOUR INTERNET SPEED EXTREMLY FAST, THUS SAVING YOU TONS OF TIME! IF YOU REALLY WANT TO GET A PLEASURE AND FUN THAN DELL LATITUDE IS FOR YOU, I ENJOY IT EVERY MINUTE I USE IT, EVERY SECOND I USE, AND MORE I USE IT, THE MORE I WANT TO USE IT! NON OF ANY OTHER NOTEBOOKS BRANDS CAN BE COMPARED TO IT, ESPACIALLY IT THAT PRICE! WISH I BOUGHT IT MUCH EARLER, SO THAT ALL MY PROJECT COULD BE DONE MUCH EASER AND FASTER, WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS AT ALL! I COULD NOT BE MORE HAPPIER WITH THAT PRODUCT! CHEERS!

Good Durable Business Computer

from Fowler, MI

Comments about Dell Latitude D630 Notebook PC:

i have had my D630 for about 3 years now. I use it daily for extended hours, and it has proven to be quite durable. (yes, I have dropped it a few times). It does seem to get very warm when I work with it on my lap, but not sure any warmer than other brands/models out there. I have had the system board replaced, and found the dell support to be good and the technician that did the work was very good as well. I found the keyboard to be more durable than some of the other laptops I've owned as well as no keys popped off or have gotten stuck. I do have occasional problems with the machine locking up, but believe that is due to the build or software conflicts in the image I am running. I also find the size to adequate. For a machine I use a lot I would not want it any smaller like some of the newer devices out there, and I don't think I would want it any bigger because I do need it to be portable. It does seem to be a bit heavy for the size, but I think that contributes to the durability.

This Dell Notebook is great"

from San Antonio, TX

Comments about Dell Latitude D630 Notebook PC:

As a student going to college I am require to used a loptop to write my notes. Handwritting with a pencil is very hard especially for 3 hour classes but having this laptop can change your life. I have been using this model "Dell Latitude D630 Notebook PC" for over 3 years and has work great. As an economic and affortable product, this device is extremely reliable for a student going to college. To start with the features, this notebook has basic features that are easy to use and easy to follow. I have never had a complain by my relatives when they use this device to pay bills online. The size of this laptop is great not to big and not to small. The screen of this laptop has a great resolution, with perfect color display, and bright enough to be used in the pitch dark. The only problem with this device is the wifi feature. Mainly not being the device fault but the wifi service that my school offers it may sometimes be hard to connect to the internet when trying to surf the web. The best feature that this device has to offer is the great keyboard that is inside the laptop. The keyboard is very user friendly and has regular keyboard buttons that makes it easy to type fast, especially if you need to write in matter of seconds. The cover of the device is very smooth and has a great backgound color even do I will prefer a different color than gray. This device also has a very nice mouse path that is easy to navigate and click to icons. In the end, anyone wanting to buy this product I as a current user will truely recommend this product to new users because its easy for first time buyers to get along the feeling of how to function a new loptop.