View more laptops

Dell Inspiron Notebook PC

Dell Inspiron Notebook PC

3.2

The Dell Inspiron 6400 is enough for my needs and prob free

The system has all of the functions that I would use in  day to day situations. I have had only a few tech challenges that were a result of my ineptitude more than any real problem with the unit. From viewing show or movies that I choose to editing my vast picture library the Dell Inspiron has met every need.

There are still many functions as with most systems that I have never used. Many are just things that I do not do and probably will not. The keyboard and scratch mouse I have gotten used to. I actually prefer the scrath mouse compared to any point and click. I find that function much easier to use as compared to the standard point and click. Much less taxing on my wrist.

In the last few months I have run in to a probloem with the screen though. There seems to be some sort of degradation in the viewing. Not sure what this cause could be. I have an area about one and a half inch in from the left side where there is an area about 3/8 of an inch wide from top to bottom that shows colored lines from (reading left to right) green, orange, yellow and then various reds. Unit has never been dropped. I am guessing that due to its wide nature (15.4) and from constant opening, has caused this degradation.

Overall I am still pleased and somewhat attached to the unit.

Terrible laptop

Bad laptop, dell make your mind up cuz this is one slow, crashing vista laptop at £500 it isn't worth a penny of it. The only good point is the design, though why would you put a Usb Stick at the back where you can't see or reach. At least it could come with linux or XP, as vista is a total cock of a OS.Sorry Dell, But the Dell I6400 is a bad waste of money.

Always a Dell for Me!!!

from Renovo, PA

Comments about Dell Inspiron Notebook PC:

After a very expensive laptop from **Gateway** was added to the trash heap, I purchased my Dell Ispiron. What a good decision. Dell is top of the line in every aspect of the computer sales business. Thay have the terrific products but something even better is their customer service! I have never been treated better. They are so eager to please and helpful. It is truely refreshing! More companies need to follow their lead, I am sick of automated voices and hours on hold.You won't find that at Dell!

Great Computer, decen price

from Alachua, FL

Comments about Dell Inspiron Notebook PC:

I have had great success with my Inspiron 6400, although after seeing the docking station of my friend's Latitude D830, I am jealous.  When looking into this option, it was not available, next time I will get a Del Latitude.  XP and Vista worked well with this laptop, but you have to download the proper drivers for Vista to work properly.  I ordered my laptop with XP, before Vista had been tested.

Was better the second time around

from Glendale, CA

Comments about Dell Inspiron Notebook PC:

When I first got this laptop directly from Dell, it came with Vista. It crashed right out of the box and customer service was horrible they kept telling me to reformat and start over, even though I hadn't done anything). I returned it to Dell and was 'fortunate' to find a used one with Windows XP on their site. It's been a year and a half now and I have had very little problems since.

The screen size is very good for the graphic and video work I do and it's not so heavy as to make it a nuisance. I really appreciate having the firewire port and wifi built in.

Battery life diminishes quickly though and I've had to replace mine twice. That's been a real drawback, especially when trying to work while traveling. Always have your adapter handy!

Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop

from Ooltewah, TN

Comments about Dell Inspiron Notebook PC:

My husband bought this laptop for me approx 5 yrs ago. I have gone thru 3 batteries. Although I have found it easy to use and love the flexibility of a laptop I wouldn't buy another one of these. The first big problem I had with it was after approx a year it started overheating, I have used cooling pads underneath eversince. But is has shut down because it has got too hot probably 3 times. The second problem I've had is short battery life, I'm on my third and have given up, I will only use it plugged up to the AC now as the batteries just don't last and are too expensive to buy every year. I have used my laptop a lot, but I am disappointed by the problems I've mentioned, I wouldn't buy another.

The Inspiron 6400 is very capable

from Houston, TX

Comments about Dell Inspiron Notebook PC:

I got this Inspiron 6400 laptop 4 years ago. One major thing I need to point out is that the battery died. The laptop hasn't even been used that heavily, especially on battery power. I think Dell laptop batteries are just not that great. This laptop is running a Core Duo 1.66GHz processor and 1GB of ram. I purchased it with the Radeon x1400 graphic card. It was a pretty decent laptop when it was new. The most demanding games I've run on it is probably Battlefield 2 and Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. The games are definitely playable, of course just not at the high settings. The laptop is pretty durable. The physical construction is decent. The screen hinges feel a bit loose and can be a little annoying. The laptop has become pretty slow recently. I attributed it to the 5400rpm HDD that came with it. The Inspiron 6400 hard drive is pretty upgradeable. It's easy to remove the hard drive and insert a new one. I installed an Intel SSD into the laptop and installed Windows 7. The laptop performs pretty well for its age. It can play 720p with no problem and 1080p is a little laggy. It's really no problem because the screen isn't 1080p anyway. The screen is not the best, but it's not horrible either. The colors aren't as bright as I would have liked. Overall, the laptop is good enough for everyday needs. The hardware has begun to show its age, but it's holding up fairly well.

Dell 6400 Is A Great All Round Computer for the Money

from Prattville, AL

Comments about Dell Inspiron Notebook PC:

I've had this computer for 4 years and it has been used for tons of things.  Storing and sharing pictures and music, command central through me wedding, and for printing coupons, shopping online, and it has been a dream through every one of those tasks.  Computer never freezes, and is always working great.  I would recommend this to a friend for use at college.  This computer has an awesome 19" monitor which is great for viewing just about anything.  I don't recommend it for travel due to the limited battery capacity and weight, but it's great for any room at home and weekend travels.

Dell Inspiron is a solid reliable laptop.

from Tucson, AZ

Comments about Dell Inspiron Notebook PC:

We have had our Dell Inspiron 6400 for about four years now.  It has served us well.  We have had to wipe our computer twice I believe in four years due to "blue screen of death" issues.  Also, it easily overheats,we have to keep it propped up so the fan can vent as well as possible.  Definitely do not leave it lying on a couch or bed or soft surface, will overheat in minutes.  Other than that it has been reliable and has stood the test of time.  It still seems to be going strong for the most part.  Screen, keyboard, mouse all components working fine.  Its a Dell, it is what you would expect from a Dell. The hot keys on the front of the laptop for when you are watching a DVD are nice.  We use those often when we are traveling as we use our laptop as a protable DVD player as well.  My husband is pretty maticulous about taking care of it properly so that has increased the longevity I am sure.

I want to throw my Dell 6400 through the window daily!

from Hazelwood, MO

Comments about Dell Inspiron Notebook PC:

Sorry Dell, I tried..I really really tried! I have had so many problems with this computer. Viruses galore, the slowness is killing me, why Vista?, the constantly having to restart it...the list goes on and on. Its sad, I like the pc set up, i don't want to have to learn windows but i for see it in my future. Something will have to change GREATLY in order for me to ever buy another DELL.

The laptop is average, but the battery life is terrible.

from Houston, TX

Comments about Dell Inspiron Notebook PC:

I have had the Inspirion 6400 computer for 2 1/2  to three years and and acutally typing on it now :-).  It didn't take long (maybe 9months?) before the battery life started to wear. It progressively got worse over time, and it now only lasts about fifteen  minutes on battery power.  After reading reviews and searching for new batteries (which were very expensive, by the way), I come to find out that the Inspirion notorious for poor battery life.  Other users also said that the battery typically stops performing after a year.  I'm too cheap to buy a new battery, and just stay plugged in all the time, because in a few years I'll probably need a new laptop anyway.  The computer itself is fine, a little on the heavy side.  I don't usually go for the high end electronics, so from this perspective, the price was in line with what I was willing to pay.  So, overall an average/ "good enough" laptop, but nothing to write home about.

The Dell Inspiron 6400 is enough for my needs and prob free

from New Market, MD

Comments about Dell Inspiron Notebook PC:

Overall I am still pleased and somewhat attached to the unit.