View more laptops

Dell Inspiron Notebook PC

Dell Inspiron Notebook PC

3.6

fantastic

i thought this computer was great. it is really user friendly and has a lot of perks

also i liked how fast this computer was. i really didn't find much wrong with it. i mean come on, its quick, small, reliable, and like a said before user friendly. i really also like the sleek build to it. the only thing i didn't like about it was getting set up. i didn't really like all the steps it took to set up the computer. i really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really like it.

Heavy but nice

I agree with the other reviews in that this is a heavy computer for a laptop.  I hauled mine around for about 3 or 4 years.  What finally made me break down and buy a new one was the blue screen of death.  It all started after adding new memory.  I'd get the blue screen of death about once every other day.

I never tried taking the memory out because it was just too slow without it.  Then, after months of getting frustrated about the computer shutting down on me, I just bought a new one.  A Dell of course.  I had a Dell desktop that also went tits up on me after adding memory.

Advice?  Don't add new memory to a Dell...buy it with all the memory you think you'll need!

This Inspiron 8600 is really great - no problems at all

from San Antonio, TX

Comments about Dell Inspiron Notebook PC:

I have been using this Inspiron 8600 with the dedicated docking station for about four years and have been very pleased.  I've had no problems whatsoever with the system or the docking station.

This laptop is very sturdy and has been dragged through airports all over the United States and even to Hawaii three or four times and has always come through without a scratch.

The internal modem is very handy for those times when an ethernet connection is not available and the built-in external ports for VGA, mouse and keyboard are very handy for use away from the docking station.  I have a mini mouse and a roll-up keyboard that I carry in the bag when traveling.  There is also a real 9-pin d-sub serial port that most laptops do not have.  It's not used very often but it's sure nice to have on occasion.

The display is bright and crisp and does not reflect back like some of the newer screens.  This allows a very viewable screen even outdoors in bright sunlight.

The docking station is designed by Dell for this model and connects directly to a pin strip on the bottom of the laptop.  This allows all of the ports in the laptop to "carry-through" to the docking station including the serial port.

A very solid and well built machine.

Not a fan of Dell Inspiron 8600 Notebook PC

from Chicago, IL

Comments about Dell Inspiron Notebook PC:

I prefer PC over Mac laptops, but this product was way below average. The hard-drive crashed 3 times in less than 2 years before it had to be completely replaced. The battery completely died forcing me to carry around my plug everywhere (new battery wasn't worth the cost).

A Dependable Behemoth

from Bellefonte, PA

Comments about Dell Inspiron Notebook PC:

This was my first laptop purchase - back in 2003.  I still have the laptop, and it still functions, but I switched to a Mac two years ago.  This thing put up with a lot of abuse from me.  It did come down with a slew of viruses and what not that severely curtailed its functionality for awhile, but it still works, it's just slow now.  But aren't we all when we get older?  I love the large screen.  It's great to watch movies on, but the sound isn't the best - you may want to hook up speakers.  But it does weigh a ton, so it isn't the most convenient to lug around - but I did lug it around traveling and to coffee shops for years.  It eventually came down with a green pixel strip - right down the center of the screen, one pixel wide.  It's always there, a green line dividing the screen in two.  With all the abuse this laptop suffered, it's surprising that's the only thing that went quirky on it.  I understand that Dell doesn't make these anymore.  If you can find a used one to refurbish, go for it.  It is a sturdy, dependable laptop.

everything has been replaced atleast once

from Chattanooga, TN

Comments about Dell Inspiron Notebook PC:

oh dell, where do i begin. if i didn't not purchase the 4 year warrenty i would have been screwed.

i have now owned this computer for 5 years and have gone through 6 Adapters, two wireless cards, two touch pads, two hard drives and countless other pieces. currently the screen as broken and i can not close it..lets just say that my next computer will be an HP.

Heavy but nice

from Mountlake Terrace, WA

fantastic

from Puyallup, WA

Comments about Dell Inspiron Notebook PC:

Wrth the money, but not outstanding

from Baroda, MI

Comments about Dell Inspiron Notebook PC:

This laptop is worth the money, but is not outstading, is great for someone who does work with pictures or likes to watch movies. A downfall is the weight, it is a little too heavy for a laptop, but the large screen makes up for the weight. Dell has better buys and much better laptops, but if you are looking for an average laptop and nothing fancy this should suit you quite nicely.

Some issues but good product overall

from Mesquite, TX

Comments about Dell Inspiron Notebook PC:

Purchased the computer as a christmas gift for my daughter and she just loves it. She is currently writting a book and has the computer with her at all times. When on vacation we down load pictures and printed on the spot for sprapbooking the vacation. Also with wireless internet found and map place to visit. Lots of memory for storing video games and other programs. The price was just right and I didn't have to do any rebates for the great price.

Our laptop is still going strong

from Jeffersonville, IN

Comments about Dell Inspiron Notebook PC:

Our Dell laptop is still going strong after several years of use.  Just as fast as the new ones.  Dell has the best and that is indesputable as far as I am concerned.  I also bought 2 Dell Inspiron 6000's which have been going strong for over two years.  I think the battery may need to be replaced soon due to charge runs out quickly when unplugged.  Other than that we are very satisfied as we use these amchines daily, ALL day.

Mike, Jeffersonville Indiana

Dell Inspiron 8600 - a good general purpose workhorse

from Bowie, MD

Comments about Dell Inspiron Notebook PC:

Dell Inspiron 8600 - good for downloading music, game playing, photos, and general word processing.  I've used my every day for the past 4 years and have no complaints.  Sound quality is a bit tinny, and the key surfaces have worn some, but I've taken it everywhere with me, and it's worked well, even to other countries and back!  Good solid performer.