View more laptops

3.9

Pros

Cons

• Speed/Performance:

Dell Laptop, Inspiron 1525 Customizable, but hate the screen.

The Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop was a Christmas present from me to me.  I bought it online because I was able to customize it with things I knew I needed.  I play a lot of games on my computer, and it takes up a huge amount of space and memory.  I also like to beta test games and some are very large programs.  If I find a bug in a game I sometimes get a free game or a discounted price.   This results in lots of different kinds of games building up on a computer.

By customizing a computer you can pick the size of the memory and  the Operating System.  I don't like Windows Vista which seems to be bundled with all new computers.  This particular laptop allowed me to "downgrade" for a price, and have it come with Windows XP.  This also includes the ability to install Vista at a point in the future.  You may want to, but not me.  XP is a very stable system and very familiar to me, so I'll be sticking to this as long as possible.

I was not able to customize the screen which is shiny like glass.  I would have preferred to have some kind of matt finish, but this was not available.  Dell gave me tons of choices on the color of the cover, but not on something that changed the shiny display which gives me a headache.  Any rear source of light either from a window or a lamp or a ceiling light will cause terrible glare. My old eyes can't take it.  I keep pushing the screen back and forth trying to get the glare to stop, and even move around the room.  I can't stand that shiny screen.

I've also found that the touch pad can be so sensitive, that when using my Microsoft wireless Optical Mouse my hands accidently create a movement that causes unwanted changes.   This is also frustrating when typing a long email, or a letter because the sensitivity factor suddenly has you overtyping or moving the cursor to another area that you didn't direct.  I still don't know how to stop this so I put my 18" long gel wrist rest over the top of the touch pad.  I also prop up the rear of the base because I can't type with it totally flat.  I have seen other laptops that have a tab in the rear to engage when you want the keyboard to be at an angle.

If money is no object, the customizing can get you bigger badder batteries, HW insurance so you can get 24/7 Dell assistance (otherwise you have to PAY), more of everything.  Some third party SW comes with the laptop, but they are samples only and last a short time.  Then you have to pay to keep it,   The Wild Tangent games they say come with the machine, but  are not full games at all.  It is the opportunity to test drive a source of games that you have to buy tokens in order to play them.  I'm not thrilled with Dell's truthfulness about what you are actually buying and keeping for good.

There are many programs bundled with the laptop that fill up your hard drive, and you probably won't use 1/2  of them.  Be careful what you are buying is what you actually need, and will use.  Otherwise the item will be more pricey than necessary.  Talk to a friendly neighborhood geek or your computer teacher in school.  Since I do lots of games and photos, I need something different from the person who only wants to get on the Internet and do E-mail.

Asking for advise is very smart and prudent.

Dell inspiron 1525 an awful piece of junk

My daughter bought me a Dell Inspiron 1525 as a Christmas gift in Dec.2008. She put everything together and I started using it in Feb 09. I loved the baby green color, light weight and slightly bigger screen. I was so excited to have my own laptop. My happiness didn't last very long at all. I started having problems such as sticky touch pad, and then "jumping cursors". So when you click on one thing the computer clicks on whatever it wants. So my first service call was made in March 09 again numerous times between then and July 09.   I also had a non working Wireless Card and the computer shuts down as it pleases. The computer heats up so much after an hour use.

Each time we call the technical help line, you have to spend two to three hours on the phone. They did all kinds of trouble shooting, Rebooted the system couple of times, Restored the computer back to factory settings twice, they've done preboot system assessment and tells me each time it is fixed. It works for couple of days and again problems comes back.

I don't have any more energy to fight with them and before the warranty runs out I want to make sure I have a working computer. Now they want me to send it back so they can fix the problem. They refuse to replace it because no parts have been replaced on it. It will take more than three weeks to get it fixed and they refuse to give loaner computer.

Everytime they reset the computer to factory settings, we have to reload our microsoft office, antivirus programms etc which I had to buy again because each one can be used only twice. Dell Inspiron 1525 is a total waste of money, energy and time. My daughter said her friend also bought the Dell Inspiron 1525  at the same time and have lots of problems with it too. Please save yourself from Dell Inspiron 1525!!!!

Very nice

Pros

• Fast
  • Long Battery Life

Cons

• Poorly Designed Keyboard

• Business Use

Comments about Dell Inspiron Notebook/Laptop PC:

I know this kind very well, and I can promise I will recommend my friend to buy one , its fast and the battery life is long

• Primary use:
  • Business

Dell Inspiron 1525

Comments about Dell Inspiron Notebook/Laptop PC:

Dell provides easy customization .Very good for businessmen and travelers. When I firstly searched to buy a notebook. It was difficult to find appropriate one to my requirements. In dell I can customize as I want.

Inspiration 515 is very appropriate for using business uses, internet, games and very comfortable for travelling

Battery Life
Battery life is 4 hours, its good but would be better to improve it to 7-8 hours two times as more as possible because many customers need it . and important thing is do not increase the price of it or little bit increase in it.

Support & Service
from 1 to 3 years warranty

Speed/Performance
Speed of internet connection is excellent. working in word excel is very good also playing a games and fastest of them is very exciting. especially last version of call of duty game can be played with better performance

It is seen that product design is worked by professional designers. It looks very classical with very thin screen

good

• Speed/Performance:

Perfect for personal, school or small business.

from Luling, TX

Comments about Dell Inspiron Notebook/Laptop PC:

The Dell Inspiron 1525 is a great computer for personal or small business. It has a fast processor and lots of memory which allows usage of larger programs.

Battery Life
The battery life is not what I would like. A fully charged battery will only last about 2 hours if I'm lucky.

Support & Service
Any service I have required, I did online. The Dell site is excellent when it comes to online diagnostics and repair. Simply by entering the required repair tag number, you go through a series of steps, then through the internet, they check your computer and repair it if possible.

Speed/Performance
I don't do a lot of high speed gaming, but for the basic gaming, online surfing, and processing I do, there is plenty of speed and performance.

The Dell 1525 is very durable. I have dropped mine, dumped coffee on it (that had sugar and cream in it) and have dropped food on it and it cleaned easily and I never had to have it worked on. It continued to perform as it always did.

Dell inspiron laaptop

from Cordova, TN

Comments about Dell Inspiron Notebook/Laptop PC:

I bought my dell about one year ago and I can promise I will never buy one again. I have no children in the home so it is only me that uses it and I take care of my stuff. In the last year I have had to buy a new battery, charger ( that does not charge my laptop) and a laptop fan. My laptop has lasted about 10 months and I am missing keys that have just fallen and now it overheats and shuts down at the most important times. like in the middle of writting a review. I would uy a desk top but never again a laptop.

Dell Inspiron 1525: Okay for the Value, Beware Malfunction!!

from Harrisburg, PA

Comments about Dell Inspiron Notebook/Laptop PC:

The Dell Inspiron 1525 Laptop is a fair computer system for the amount you'll pay for it ... However, considering the tendency of the 1525 to crash or break down, you may wind up spending more money on repairs than you'd like. In my experience, I had the Inspiron 1525 for six months before it had a fatal crash; the hard drive completely died after a simple system restart after installing updates. After replacing the hard drive, the video drive had limited functionality, including an inability to properly process the color red in DVDs and some online content. The system also tends to run a bit hot after as little as forty minutes of use.

Overall, the system has great speed and easy functionality. The touchpad is fairly reliable, only losing functionality after one particular system update which somehow uninstalled the touchpad driver; you may have to beware of certain updates, and attempting to update the system yourself, as certain changes to the system can have drastic results. The computer also loses a lot of its battery functionality after only a few months; as the battery begins to "die" after the first time you use the laptop without the powerchord, it's not surprising to lose some battery life, but despite Dell's promise of a few hours of use without the powerchord, the Inspiron 1525 averages about 1.5 hours on the battery after a few months of use. This is a good system for a first laptop, but be prepared to look for upgrades or a new system after about two years.

Dell Inspiron 1525 Good

from Waco, TX

Comments about Dell Inspiron Notebook/Laptop PC:

First thing I want to note on this laptop is the sole reason why I purchased this is because of the price. During that time, it was a pretty good deal going on, I believe they were selling this for 490ish which came out to be around 500 total including tax.

I was due for another laptop so I was a little desperate to look for one. There are a few downsides to this however. The first one that I want note is the integrated graphics card so this does not allow to play the higher end graphic intense games such as Starcraft 2 and this Inspiron 1525 also has a difficult time keeping up with Warcraft 3 unfortunately. I am also a huge fan of Command and Conquer, and it would barely run Command and Conquers Generals. I placed all of the games on the lowest setting, and the game play was still very very sluggish.

I believe that is the biggest complaint which I am currently using to review this product.

I must have the only one that works great!

from Gallatin, TN

Comments about Dell Inspiron Notebook/Laptop PC:

**Not sure what all the bad reviews are about, even though I read them all.  I have had virtually NO problem with my laptop, it has performed as it should since day one.  I use this computer daily for hours at a time, it has always given me excellent service and I have thoroughly enjoyed using it.  I don't use it for gaming or anything high tech so maybe that's why I have experienced no problems but I don't think that is it.  It does everything I want and I have had it for 3 years now.  I leave it on all the time and usually use it plugged in but when I do have to take it somewhere and use it without being plugged in, the battery lasts the length of time expected.  It's fast, it's fun to use and I have been completely satisfied.  My one "complaint" is the "paint" on the keys has rubbed off and even though I do know how to type, it would be nice to be able to see the letters on the keys.  That is my only complaint on this  computer, I have just had no issues l like some of the others have had.  I love it!**

The Dell Inspiron 1525 is average.

from Arden, NC

Comments about Dell Inspiron Notebook/Laptop PC:

I've owned a few laptops over the years and the Dell Inspiron 1525 was probably one of the better ones but still not my favorite. It was very user friendly and intuitive to use. The operating system was Vista and was very slow compared to other operating systems that I've worked with. The startup, loading of applications, downloading, and even the shut-down process was all very slow. (Yet, I had upgraded the memory so it should have been fast as lightening). I had issues watching certain DVD's that would play on other computers or laptops. Being windows-based, there were constant updates and notifications and I eventually became so frustrated that I switched to an Apple-based laptop (which I couldn't be happier with!) Relative to the macbook, the Dell Inspiron is average at best. It is slow, and prone to malfunctions. I had problems with it from the very beginning and eventually sold it while it was still less than a year old. I'm not sure that I could recommend it in good conscience after all the issues I had with it. I would highly suggest looking elsewhere.

don't waste your money

from Ravenswood, WV

Comments about Dell Inspiron Notebook/Laptop PC:

This laptop is nothing but a huge waste of money. Since I have had it it has died twice and has required another charger. Dell eventually replaced all of these things but it took a lot of screaming. This computer was supposed to replace my entire system but instead because of all the problems I had to go and purchase another in between downtimes.

On the days that this piece of junk decides to work it makes really loud noises. The screen changes colors, the mouse pad doesn't always respond the way it is supposed to and sometimes the USB ports decide not to work. Oh yeah, not to mention that is slow. It takes forever to boot up and then even longer to load programs. And it crashes a lot. Seems like I'm always closing down error messages.

I really feel bad that I hate this computer so much. It was a gift and was supposed to be the answer to all my problems: money, school, and living in a very small apartment. Instead it has done nothing but cause me multiple headaches. Trust me people avoid this at all cost!

If it wasn't a gift I would've thrown it away a long time ago

from Ravenswood, WV

Comments about Dell Inspiron Notebook/Laptop PC:

I hate this laptop. The only reason i keep it around is because was  birthday present from my brother. I feel so sorry for him paying a lot of money for something that doesn't work half the time. in the two years that I have this laptop my hard drive has crashed twice and I needed a new replace for the keyboard. The people at Dell eventually sent me the parts or had me send them my computer but it took A LOT  of phone calls and a lot of yelling. Not to mention time away from my laptop that i really needed. I started online classes and everyone thought this would be a great idea for me to upgrade from my laptop I customized in 1998 to this one in 2008. It was a compaq and that was the best laptop ever.  Now because of all of the trouble I have had with the laptop I had to go buy a desktop, an HP and I love it! I still use the laptop from time to time, mainly when I need to try and sleep (it's so slow it works better then Ambien) . People pass this computer up!! Don't waste your money!