View more laptops

MINI 10V
Dell Insiron 1011 PC Notebook

Dell Insiron 1011 PC Notebook

Dell Mini is a great base laptop

I have had the Dell Mini for about a year and a half now and I love it! Obvsiouly, as with any laptop, the Dell Mini is not meant for gaming, watching videos, or even streaming music; although, I have done a few of these, but it's not the best quality computer for these hobbies. I do, however, use the Dell Mini every single day for general computer use, internet use, Facebook, writing, etc. and it works wonderfully! I have never had any mechanical issues with this computer. The only cons that I have experienced are the following: there isn't a DVD drive and the laptop tends to get really hot really fast so I have to use a cooling tray constantly. I haven't experienced any further cons so far regarding this product. It was also a fantastic price for a laptop computer! My husband also uses it from time to time and he has no problem using the slightly smaller keyboard. A wonderful product I would highly recommend to my friends and family!

Easy to use because of it's size. Great for trips. Great for use at home on the couch, too!

Battery Life
My battery life usually lasts for about two hours and then I have to plug it in. I am a heavy user of it though. Sometimes it lasts a little less than two hours, depending.

Great as an additional computer but not as a primary one

I got this Dell Mini laptop for free from Comcast for signing up...it's a nice little laptop but I wouldn't reccommend keeping it as your "primary" laptop/computer.  I haven't had any major issues yet, other than it's so small that it's difficult to do any basic web browsing on it, and doesn't really stay in your lap well if you are watching tv.  It isn't the fastest (it has an Intel ATOM processor inside, not sure if that's supposed to help) and it's honestly a little too small for me.  I am lucky that I have an external monitor, and am able to connect the two so that I can view everything as if I had a regular full-size computer.  It would drive me nuts though browsing just off of the laptop directly.  Once I have the money I would like to get a real computer-this one is not ideal for being my only computer.  It has no cd drive at all on it so which I found odd, although it does have a good amount of USB ports.  The keyboard on it is also wide (as wide as the laptop) which I do like - wheras some laptops have a really tiny keyboard making typing difficult.

cheapest hachintosh around

from Bellflower, CA

Comments about Dell Insiron 1011 PC Notebook:

dell made the grave mistake of making this netbooks trackpad integrated with clicking which makes it really hard to use. If you can get past that portion then this is a pretty decent upgrade as owning a dell mini 9 the keyboard is much easier to use. Also you can upgrade the hd but requires the removal of the keyboard and some screws. Now if you want to upgrade the memory which can be done but let me tell you this is not for the faint of heart. The hard drive is sata so theorhetically you can toss in a 500GB and be all set. This also can support windows 7 with aero no problems at all. I actually have osx snow leopard and windows 7 on dual boot updated without any lag delay sound / sleep / webcam works. Windows 7 does not require any driver installs for dell. Though this netbook is discontinued if you can find it for a good price I would buy it.

best dualboot hacktintosh ever

from Bellflower, CA

Comments about Dell Insiron 1011 PC Notebook:

So I bought this with the intent of upgrading it and keeping it for myself. And let me start off by saying the memory is a pain the in butt to upgrade. But once it's upgraded this can handle alot more without being slowed down with the memory limitation. so it handles 2gb of ram, hard drive is fairly easy to remove. The one thing I hate the most which is why im selling my 10v is the mouse pad / trackpad this is the one thing that is so hyper sensitive. No matter what driver or setting I cannot get used to it. So the one con is the trackpad. Another thing is there is no Activity led so you dont know what the hard drive is doing. Then again I have yet to see a netbook have a activity led. Has a nice bright screen supports windows 7 on the fly and also osx I have both of them updated and running. If anyone is interested let me know i can upgrade these things very fast.

Great but could be better

from San Diego, CA

Comments about Dell Insiron 1011 PC Notebook:

We've had our Dell Mini 10v for about a year now and overall I'm impressed. As a pretty advanced computer user I was hoping for light and relatively fast, got these two plus a bit more. The tv tuner is an interesting addition (we hardly use it and the atom processor doesn't do well with HD content). If you're looking for light and functional, this is for you, if you're looking for a laptop replacement, probably not going to cut it. The sound quaility is definitely subpar (not sure compared to other Netbooks but I was disappointed). Also, as a Linux Ubuntu user I was disappointed with several Dell choices, most notably the graphics card which is only partially supported in Linux (despite the system being shipped with Ubuntu). Graphics card support in Linux lacks HDMI output as well as full screen capability for videos (I know....not acceptable)

The mouse is a bit too sensitive but for all the day to day easy things, the system is above average.

Great netbook

from Los Angeles, CA

Comments about Dell Insiron 1011 PC Notebook:

This little computer is a great portable device. Aside from the small screen, I have no negative things to say. The one I bought was loaded with windows 7 and it runs flawlessly. One of my favorite things about this netbook is that it has a pretty decently sized keyboard so it doesn't feel odd typing in it. It also has a really great battery life which is great for travel. The touchpad is not the most responsive but I use a USB wireless mouse so it doesn't affect my use. The computer has several usb slots as well as a card reader. Unlike other netbooks, the screen is not too small but it's small enough to make it really portable. It doesn't weight much so it's great for taking notes in class or just to carry anywhere you go. Another feature that I really like is that i comes with bluetooth capabilities.

it is a netbook after all

from Elk Grove, CA

Comments about Dell Insiron 1011 PC Notebook:

These things are very portable! Love it for surfing on the go and watching lower res. movies but not too much else. As with alot of netbooks go the power behind it is lacking for more processor intensive chores. When buying one dont think this will do what the more expensive and capable notebooks will and you'll be fine. The keybord is a bit small (3/4 size I think) for my hands, light typing is ok but I would not consider it for essays. The trackpad is a little small but adequate. Some complain that this thing has no optic drive but look at the price point. This netbook works for me!

Dell Mini is a great base laptop

• Speed/Performance:

The best hackintosh

from Sunnyvale, CA

Comments about Dell Insiron 1011 PC Notebook:

The only reason I got this unit was that I can turn instal mac osx on it and use it as a hackintosh. They call it hackintosh because it wasn't made by apple. The setup was prety simple, it take about 2 hours to complete and afterward it's very similar to a mac. everything simply work, sound, wifi, usb, etc.

After I used the mac for a month I had to convert it back to original to use it because, I am not fond of Mac.

I can tell the system run really smooth, the keys are a bit small but I don't mind since my hand isn't that big either.

it's a netbook so don't expect anything fancy like playing intense graphic games. Everything on the web is perfect, streaming video, to web surfing.

From time to time, I wish this machine has a built in DVD rom. But I guess limiting some items allow this netbook to be light and thin. In term of battery, it last roughly 2.5 hr on a 6 cell battery. Most laptop don't even last that long anyways.

Dell mini netbook is nice and portable

from Worcester, MA

Comments about Dell Insiron 1011 PC Notebook:

The dell mini 10v netbook is a nice and portable way to acccess the internet and work on some projects. It is a really nice slim and light weight design which makes the dell mini netbook a wonderful computer for those of us who are on the go and the fact that it is small enough to fit in a backpack, diaper bag and even some purses is an added bonus.

There are a few things about the dell mini that I personally do not care for and those are as follows:

the touchpad and very particular to say the least, you have to really hit it hard to get it to do anything for you, it also has a really uncomfortable feeling/texture to it as well.

the other thing is that the screen is so small that it makes it very hard to view many of the pages that you would want to properly, for example facebook you can only see part of the page unless you decrease the font, but then that makes it even more difficult to read as well

if small and portable are what your looking for this is the netwbook to get

Dell Mini 10v is a great netbook

from Laguna Niguel, CA

Comments about Dell Insiron 1011 PC Notebook:

I have had my Dell Mini 10v for a little under a year now, and I am really enjoying this netbook. It is very compact for a netbook but has a pretty good keyboard for this size. The sceen is pretty average and gets the job down. The Atom processor is really showing its age and doesn't do a great job when it comes to HD video and beefier applications. The 3 cell battery that came with my Dell mini 10v gives about 2 to 3 hours of battery life, which is typical with the brightness on average and wifi on. One draw back to the Dell Mini 10v is how hot the body gets when used for an extended period of time. Its very hot to the touch and will warm up your lap pretty fast. A laptop cooler will fix this issue and using it on a table also fixes the heating problem. Another drawback to the Dell mini 10v is the lack of a DVD/CD drive to accomadate the small form factor. This is not a huge drawback because you can buy an external disk drive for around 20 bucks. Overall, the Dell mini 10v is a great netbook for the price and is very good for the person on the go for light web surfing and email checking.

Great Little Netbook That Runs Windows 7 Like a Pro!

from Chesterland, OH

Comments about Dell Insiron 1011 PC Notebook:

The Dell Inspiron Mini 10v is a Windows based Netbook that was released in July 2009. The Dell Mini 10v comes packaged with Windows XP as the installed operating system, however there was also a Linux version available. The Mini 10v comes built with 1GB of RAM (upgradeable to 2GB), Intel Atom N270, and a 120GB HDD. Although the Dell Mini 10v comes with Windows XP or Linux preinstalled, you can install Mac OS Snow Leopard through a process known as Macintosh. If you prefer a Windows operating system, Windows 7 runs great on it. I've currently got a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium installed on it and this little Netbook runs like a champ! As you'd expect this netbook can't run very many games, however it can run almost any flash based game. I have been playing Tetris Friends on the Netbook and it runs near perfect, with a few hickups here and there. The Dell Mini 10v also plays YouTube videos very smoothly. Overall I highly recommend this Netbook to anyone who wants a small PC that's easy to travel with, runs flash games, great keyboard, and overall is very good for what it is!