View more desktops

Dell Dimension desktop computer

Dell Dimension desktop computer

Great Desktop Computer!

Comments about Dell Dimension desktop computer:

My organization owns one of these computers for my workstation. I have had some troubles (caused by myself) with this computer but once I reformatted the hard drive, I have not had any troubles since. I love this computer and will be very sad when my organization upgrades its technology and disposes of this computer.

It is a great computer that I have no troubles using.

Hardware Quality
I had a few troubles with the CPU, but that was the IT departments fault (they replaced it and the new CPU was not properly installed). The new CPU was the same as the old one.
On a separate note, I think there is an excess of hardware with the two blank ram chips.

Support & Service
I have not had to call the manufacturer since I started using this thing.

The computer has apparently survived several drops and the case barely opened. I am amazed that it is so durable.

They need to go with a better case design that is not overly complicated. Also they could leave out the blank RAM chips.

On a rare occasion, the computer acts slowly, but it doesn't inhibit the performance much.
NOTE: it only acts slowly when I am connected to the internet. I think my internet card is failing.

• Hardware Quality:
  • Support & Service:

This is a wonderful machine.

from Warren, OH

Comments about Dell Dimension desktop computer:

I bought this 8400 system 2 years ago.  It is a great machine, with few problems.  When I did have a problem, I called Dell and they walked me through the procedure to fix the minor glitch, and it was all done within 30 minutes.  The service is slow, but the computer is great.  I definatley recommen this unit.

A very reliable, no hassle system.

from Fremont, IN

Comments about Dell Dimension desktop computer:

I love my Dell Dimension 8400.  It was a breeze to set up.  It's been very reliable.  The only problem I had was with the monitor when it first arrived.  There was a defect to the screen.  I called customer service and I had a new monitor in two days time, free of charge.  This is my second Dell desktop computer.  My first is still being used by my children.  I would highly recommend Dell computers.

Quick for its time - buy the warranty!

from New York, NY

Comments about Dell Dimension desktop computer:

I purchased a Dimension 8250 in 2003 and actually received an 8400 as a replacement (8250 had the blue screen of death, go figure) in around 2006. I no longer use it, as I'm on a brand new XPS 8300, but I'll review the 8400, for when I had it. For it's time, it was a very quick computer. Tasks were completed with ease and I could multi-task with no hesitations, with the 3.6Ghz processor combined with Hyper-Threading technology. It was class-leading at the time, for a consumer personal PC. It never actually let me down, but of course, as the years progressed, the technology became older. My PC had about 2GB of memory, which is still available in todays computers (although, very slow) and overall I loved it. However, it had one major drawback. Even after reinstalling the OS, the fan would run very loudly, and if I tried to open any program, or the internet, for example, the fan would come on and stay on for a long time. It didn't really affect the peformance, but it was quite annoying. I never fixed the problem, but was told it was either a bad fan or heatsink issue. Other than that, my 8400 was perfect, combined with my 18" Ultrasharp LCD from Dell. Buy the warranty - you'll most likely need it (4 years recommended).

good enough

from Harlingen, TX

Comments about Dell Dimension desktop computer:

I have had this computer since April, 2005. Have only had one problem with it, hardware-wise, and that was taken care of during the extended-warranty period, though the component failed just after the basic year warranty had run out, so I would have been in trouble I had not bought an extended warranty from Dell. Their support, when I had to use it, which is rare since I can usually figure out problems on my own, was pretty good. I must admit I have a philosophical problem with Dell's decision to use offshore services for their support staff, but I understand the economics of it.

The main reason I purchased the Dell was because of some credit issues I was having that required some rebuilding and I knew I would qualify for their over-priced credit.

I have never really liked Dell because of their propriety electronics. The only things easily interchangable are the drives (as far as I know) and the pci slots are standard. But if you need a new main board or other component, you might be SOL if you don't want to buy from Dell.

The PC itself has worked flawlessly. The monitor has been ok, except for the on/off switch, which failed within a few years. While I likely will not buy another Dell, as long as you check out the reviews before you buy, their computers should meet your needs