Other Bakewares:

DeMarle Silpat Nonstick Silicone Baking Mats

Pros

Cons

• Doesn't Stick:

Nonstick but doesn't last long enough!

Silpat is a product that takes the place of using aluminum foil or parchment paper for baking; According to advertising, the mats never need oiling if cared for properly. According to Demarle, *the Silpats are nonstick sheets are made of woven glass coated with food-standard silicone.*

Demarle advertises a useful life of 2000-3000 uses or 2 years, whichever is less. Note that you cannot use the Silpat under the broiler. It will ruin the mat and void the warranty.

You can use these for just about any kind of baking: cookies, breads, chicken nuggets, pizzas, etc. The advertising is true. Virtually nothing sticks to the mats!

Cleaning is really a breeze. Just use a sponge with hot soapy water, rinse, and when dry you can roll it up to store in your cabinet. **Do not** use any kind of abrasive cleaner or scrubber. You may wash the mat and then feel that the grease from the food never really came off. If you followed directions the mat will be clean.

The mats are wonderful except that while taking care of them as directed, we have never gotten one to last the advertised number of uses. We use them several times a week and take care of them as directed. After a while the mats start to turn brown. I wrote to the company and the reply was, "* Unfortunately, what you're experiencing is a normal stage at the end of the life of a Silpat.The Silpat is a fiberglass weave coated with a layer of silicone. This silicone is porous, and will begin to absorb the fat/grease from the items cooked on it over time. As the silicone absorbs more fat/grease, it fills the valleys between these peaks, and creates more surface area for the mat, causing more friction. It also will start to appear stained. *

Now with that said, even having to replace the mats every couple of years I believe they are a worthwhile investment!!

Not as good as they claim

I purchased the DeMarle Silpat Nonstick Baking Mat at a home party.  I was able to sample some vegetables that had been baked on it and they were tasty and crisp.  The consultant also claimed that this mat was excellent for microwaving frozen pizza by using the Silpat mat in the microwave instead of the silver tray that comes with microwave pizzas.  I bought the Silpat and the baking tray, as I was told that the mat doesn't work as well on a regular cookie sheet, so you really need both the Silpat mat and the metal baking tray.

As soon as I got it, I began to experiment.  First with Mozzarella sticks in the oven....these came out crispy and good, but I didn't feel they were any better than when I've used a regular baking sheet.  Then I tried microwave pizza....it turned out a bit soggy, which is disappointing since the saleswoman claimed that the pizza would be crisp, as if it had been baked in an oven.  Wondering if I had just bought a brand of pizza that wouldn't be good no matter how it cooked it, I tried another one on the regular silver tray that comes with the pizza.  The pizza cooked on the silver tray was still a bit soggy, but I thought it was better than the one cooked on the Silpat mat.

In short, it's a good idea, if it worked, but I would save your money and just use regular baking sheets.

Warranty is useless

Comments about DeMarle Silpat Nonstick Silicone Baking Mats:

When product fails, company and sales rep refuse to honor warranty. Product was in a 325 degree oven, not near open flame. Caught fire. Company says impssible. The impossible was witnessed by 6 people. Without the warranty, Not worth the money.

Works great until it catches fire

Hard to get crevices clean

Caught fire.

Doesn't Stick
Overall, food doesnt stick. But food doesnt stick to many less expensive products.

• Doesn't Stick:

Fantastic addition to any kitchen!

Comments about DeMarle Silpat Nonstick Silicone Baking Mats:

I absolutely love my DeMarle Silpay Nonstick Silicone Baking Mats. These mats are an essential part of my kitchen and have really revolutionized my approach to baking. My sister gave me one of these baking mats to try, and I was completely hooked as soon as I used it. The feature that I like the most about these mats is how versatile they are and how many uses I have found for them in my kitchen. I have a mat that I keep on each of my cookie sheets. One of my cookie sheets is designated strictly for baking cookies and using this mat has made a very positive change in the overall quality of the cookies that I made. I find that my cookies do not spread much at all and most importantly they do not burn on the bottom. My other Silpat is used to bake bread products. My bread bakes evenly and it does not burn on the bottom. The only challenge I have with these baking sheets is cleaning them. There is a residue that accumulates after continued use, and I find that it is difficult to fully clean these baking mats.

• Doesn't Stick:

Silpat-Awesome non-stick baking/cooking mat-use w/Perforated Pan

Comments about DeMarle Silpat Nonstick Silicone Baking Mats:

This Silpat mat used with the Demarle Perforated Pan is absolutely amazing. This is truly a non-stick mat and it does not absorb odors. This is so easy to wipe clean-even my shelled raw peanuts that were roasted with light corn syrup, brown sugar & salt was easy to clean-I just wiped it off-would have taken forever in a regular pan. I use this product almost every day-from making kale chips to grilled cheese sandwiches-you don't even have to use butter & it tastes delicious. While you don't have to use any oil, I often spritz my vegetables with olive oil & salt before roasting. My next Demarle purchase will be the Sunflower bowl.

This product is such a time saver & allows for much healthier eating by eliminating the need for oil. Several sprays of olive oil adds a wonderful taste to roasted vegetables with very few calories. I've only had this product for several weeks and have just begun experimenting with it. This would be very easy to bake salmon or any other fish or chicken or whatever you wanted to cook.

So easy it's unbelievable.

Doesn't Stick
Truly amazing-even a very sticky item was easy to clean up-no soaking-it was surprisingly easy!

wonderful product

from La Rue, OH

Comments about DeMarle Silpat Nonstick Silicone Baking Mats:

Being an avid baker with two daughters who are constantly begging me to bake something for them, these DeMarle Silpat Nonstick Silicone Baking Mats are absolutely perfect for me. Gone are the days of greasing and flouring pans for baking, or lining pans with parchment paper, or buying those flimsy disposable aluminum pans. Nothing sticks to these mats, they work as promised and they look really nice. They are relatively inexpensive, which is a good thing because they only last an estimated two years. And they are easy to clean. They do cause a little smoking in the oven sometimes, but it isn't anything major or serious. I especially like that, when you are not using these mats, you can just roll them up so that they take up less space in the cabinets. That is a wonderful feature for me since I have so many pieces of bakeware and cookware: which mean that my cabinet space is limited. If you like to bake, I really suggest that you try the baking mats.

loves

Comments about DeMarle Silpat Nonstick Silicone Baking Mats:

i absolutely love my demarle silpat nonstick silicone baking mats. they are so convienent. i use them all the time. they are professional quality. they work great for candies. because they are non stick. and i absolutely love they are free from all that toxic stuff. they are reusable so they are good for the environment. because you are using a ton of parchment paper that will just be thrown away. they come in all different sizes so you can add them to the bottom of your favorite baking dish. i love using them for cookies. if i take cookies off when they are still hot they dont end up sticking and making a huge mess. they are so easy to clean. you just wipe them off with hot water and dish soap. you can roll them up so they can fit anywhere. they can withstand hot temps and cold temps so they can be put in the freezer if you need. they save a lot of money and time. i dont know what any baker would do without out the help of these handy things.

DeMarle Silpat Nonstick Silicone Baking Mats are great

from Arlington, TX

Comments about DeMarle Silpat Nonstick Silicone Baking Mats:

You have to buy the DeMarle Silpat Nonstick Silicone Baking Mats if you like to bake because nothing sticks to them! You can make cookies, meringues, macarons and so much more! You can put the baking mats into the oven and they will not melt either. The baking mat will not fit into some of my baking sheets but that's fine because they still work. The DeMarle Silpat Nonstick Silicone Baking Mats are quite expensive but I think that it will save you money in the future. Think about how much you save by not using non stick sprays or endless rolls of wax paper. These baking mats will replace them for you. They are really easy to clean and I just scrub it with soap and water. My baking mat got a little brown on me but that did not affect its performance. I have to tried to buy imitations of the DeMarle Silpat Nonstick Silicone Baking Mats but I always go back to this original because it works better for me.

DeMarle's Silpat Baking Mats Make Baking a Breeze

from Grand Rapids, MI

Comments about DeMarle Silpat Nonstick Silicone Baking Mats:

I love to cook and bake. It is one of my favorite things to do. That being said I hate to clean up after cooking. Especially items that have stuck on due to spills. This is why I absolutely love DeMarle's Silpat Nonstick Silicone Baking Mats. They truly are one of the best inventions every.

I love these silicone mats because they allow me to bake cookies without the dough sticking to my cookie sheet. They also are great if you are cooking other items. I make a rolled sandwich that includes cheese and it was a huge pain to clean up my cooking surface after making it, until I got these baking mats. Now the cheese wipes right off without a mess.

These mats also last forever (mine is over 10 years old and still going strong). I also like the fact that these mats are easy to store and take up almost no room in my tiny kitchen. I highly recommend these mats to everyone from casual cooks to those who cook every day. They make baking and clean up so much easier.

Makes cleanup so easy

from Bala Cynwyd, PA

Comments about DeMarle Silpat Nonstick Silicone Baking Mats:

I received my first two Silpats as a gift and wasn't sure what they were. After using them on my cookies, I promptly went out and bought two more. I love my Silpat Nonstick Silicone Baking Mats. They are the best thing invented for baking. No more greasing pans or laying down parchment paper. The cookies slide right off and I have never had any burn. I also use them for rolling out dough for cookies and pies. They clean up well and I just drape them over chair backs to dry. I now own eight and they come in very handy especially at the holidays. I just line them up on the table and put my cookie doughs on them and as the trays come out of the oven, I just switch the cooked ones for the unbaked ones. It saves so much time as you do not have to wash the pans after each use. I just wipe the Silpat Silicon Baking Mat with a paper towel between each use and just wash it at the end with soap and water. Nothing special needed to clean them. I would recommend them for anybody as they are great time savers and an excellent product.

Silpat Nonstick Silicone Mats are a Must-Have

from St. Louis, MO

Comments about DeMarle Silpat Nonstick Silicone Baking Mats:

Ok, maybe Silpat is not necessary, however, I think they are totally worth it if you love to bake cookies often. I think the worst job when it comes to cooking is trying to clean baked-on grease off of sheet pans, and cookies are terrible about that. Silpat's silicone coating eliminates the need for endless scrubbing, as the cookies slide right off, and, apparently, so does the grease.

I have had a silpat for a year now and have never had anything come remotely close to sticking to it. The silicone does wonders to keep your cookies from being broken up by the difficulty of trying to remove them from sheet pans. The silpat also works great for pizza, which is notorious for producing hard-to-clean grease. Cheese and pepperoni grease wash right off and the pizza slides off easily as well.

Since getting the Silpat I have left my days of scrubbing with gritty pan cleaner behind me, thank goodness. All you need for cleaning them is a little soapy water.

My silpat is only a year old and is still looking pretty good. However, I have friends who own them and have seen that they do start to fall apart after a couple of years. A sheet pan lasts a lot longer than that, especially if it is a good one. But, then again, with a sheet pan you have to use pan spray or parchment paper, so you may not be saving any money by not having to replace it. I think it is probably worth the price and having to replace the mat every couple of years not do deal with parchment paper and scrubbing.

Beautiful Before & After Baking

from Little Elm, TX

Comments about DeMarle Silpat Nonstick Silicone Baking Mats:

Silpat Baking Mats have a beautiful, classy feel and look before and after you bake with them. They also do a fantastic job to keep foods from sticking. Use them for baking round bread loaves, cookies, meringues, etc. Everything turns out just right, projects are less likely to burn, and the clean-up is easy.