3.7

3.7

Pros

Cons

• Convenience:

If it wasn't for Jamie Lee Curtis, I wouldn't be writing this!

**If it wasn't for Jamie Lee Curtis, I wouldn't be writing this** ... but first, a flashback by way of explanation.

A few years ago, upon the...Read complete review

A few years ago, upon the occasion of my retirement, a well-wisher who dropped by my desk asked me what I was going to DO now and I replied:  "*I'm not going to eat lunch at the same time every day*."  After 42 years of working full-time downtown, I wasn't tired of the work assigned to me but the sparkle had worn off OTHER things:  commuting in bad weather, office politics, wearing nylon stockings every day ... and especially the **routine **of it all.

If it was 7 a.m., I was eating toast or cereal at home.  At 11:30 a.m., I was heating something in the office microwave or buying lunch in the cafeteria.  Dinner was predictable too because I had to go to bed at a reasonable hour so as to begin the routine over the next day.  Hordes of hard-working people are striving to sock away millions or perhaps buy a second home.  God bless them but as for me, it was enough that someday I would be able to follow my own schedule.

I love being retired but alas, a *schedule* was one of the first casualties.  Gone are the days, my friends, when I ate breakfast at 7 a.m. or sometimes even breakfast at all.  Often I end up doing "brunch" at 2 p.m., hours after even I have been up ... or maybe I do breakfast at Noon and LUNCH at 3 p.m.  Dinner hour yo-yo's up and down wildly, especially on those numerous occasions when I don't "turn in" until 3 or 4 a.m.  Sometimes I eat wierd things in strange combinations, as my confused digestive system wonders what I'm doing or what I am going to eat next.

Without going into clinical detail, there is probably not a digestive ailment or symptom lurking out there that I have been spared, including occasional pains which were sometimes sharp enough to cause me to lie down for a while.  I didn't appear to be seriously ill as much as I was "overdoing it" generally speaking.  So I was intrigued with the flurry of new products developed to "promote regularity" but a little afraid of whatever possible laxative effect they might have.  I hadn't viewed a potential purchase with such dark suspicion since the day someone tried to sell me a live lobster at Dominick's.

One day as I read about foreclosures in the Sunday Tribune, I heard a familiar voice and glanced at my television screen where Jamie Lee Curtis was sitting on a bright green sofa, holding her own newspaper, and commenting that 87% of other Americans were as screwed up as I was, digestion-wise.  She held up a little container of something called Activia and ... as I watched with paralyzed fascination ... she knocked back a spoonful and smiled confidently at the camera.  Such is the power of p.r. and commercial advertising that I figured if Jamie Lee Curtis had something good to say about something (even if she was being paid to say it) whatever it was had to be good enough for me.

I picked up a four-container package of Activia (business appeared to be brisk, as other people must have seen the same commercial) and targeted my experiment for a day when I would be home (near the bathroom) all day -- good judgment, as it developed, because although nothing too dramatic happened, activity was brisk between the rest of my home and the bathroom.  By the end of the day, I had used up most of a roll of toilet paper but there I was with those three other 4 oz. containers of Activia which I hated to throw away (besides, the flavor of this product was really delicious).  So I forged ahead and tried another one and LO!, I have hardly had a digestive problem since.  After that first day, most of my adverse adventures in digestion have disappeared.  It has turned out that 4 oz. of Activia is the perfect sweet little "nightcap" at the end of the day (whenever that day may end!) and there are a lot of good things about this product, listed right there on the label.

A single 4 oz. serving contains 110 calories with only 20 from fat.  There are 2 grams total fat, 1 gram saturated fat, zero trans fat, 10 mg. cholesterol, 70 mg. sodium, a respectable 230 mg. potassium, 19 grams total carbs, 17 grams sugars, 5 grams protein, and even 15% (D.V.) calcium ... plus the mysterious "*Bifidus Regularis*" destined to flush us out and sooth our g.i. tracts.

The enterprising folks at Dannon have developed a "Light" Activia also, which tastes even better and contains only 70 calories with zero calories from fat per serving, in addition to zero total, saturated, and trans fat, 5 mg. cholesterol, 80 mg. sodium, the same 230 mg. potassium, 13 grams total carbs, 3 grams fiber, 8 grams sugars, 5 grams protein, and 15 % (D.V.) calcium.  **(Caution:  "Light" Activia also contains Sucralose which *has* been known to have a laxative effect in some people.)**

Of course, digestive problems deserve medical attention and no one is suggesting that we just self-medicate even with Activia, but I suspect that a lot of people will probably benefit from this product.

**TASTE TIP:**

Try freezing for about 20 minutes and stirring before enjoying Activia.

Side Effects

If you don't have IBS you might not want to try Activia. I have had one little container a day for 4 days and am sick - literally!

Dizziness,...Read complete review

Dizziness, nausiousness, throwing up, cramping, rumbling tummy!

I am not eating any more. I have been searching online for side effects and I have found a few people with the same side effects. Not sure why or what is in the product that would cause this but I don't like it at all.

Activia is Excellent

from Riverdale ,GA

Comments about Dannon Activia Yogurt:

I bought Activia 1 week ago. I've been eating on every morning. The second time I had eaten it. I instantly felt the discomfort of bloating that I've been dealing with for a long time disappear. Activia is great it's helping with my digestive tract also. I love Activia and I've told many of the people in my running group to buy it!

Packaging sucks

Comments about Dannon Activia Yogurt:

I love activate but the packaging sucks. I went to break apart a 12 pack and tried to get one container of peach yogurt. The container ripped causing the contents to go all over the inside of the refrigerator . This is the third time this happened. PleAse do something about packaging.

Delicious, multi-purpose yogurt!

from San Antonio, Texas

Comments about Dannon Activia Yogurt:

The strawberry Dannon Activia Yogurt has been a favorite of mine for years. I'm prone to sickness so I try to use more probiotic products in my daily routine. The yogurt containers are small enough to where they can fit in any bag or lunchbox without taking up a lot of space. Better yet, the seal is secure and I've never had a problem with containers breaking or coming from the store with damaged packaging. The texture is great and the taste is sweet enough to where you don't think you're eating just any bland health food. The strawberry taste doesn't seem artificial at all, and the yogurt can be mixed with berries, granola, ice cream, and so much more. This is a relatively low calorie food, so if you are dieting or want to avoid heavy snacks, Dannon Activia Yogurt is a good choice. I also give my niece these packs as everyday snacks, so kids also enjoy this yogurt's sweet, dessert-like taste!

• Convenience:

Eat Activia....If you enjoy writhing in pain

Comments about Dannon Activia Yogurt:

Within minutes after eating Activia I felt as though someone was wringing out my intestines like a wet sponge. It was some of the worst pain I've ever experienced. I limped to the bathroom doubled over in pain and cursed myself for ever putting that yogurt in my mouth. Intestinal cramping and pain, as well as explosive diarrhea.

• Convenience:

Great tasting, and good for your health

from Stroudsburg, PA

Comments about Dannon Activia Yogurt:

My doctor always used to recommend me to eat Dannon Activia when I would have disgestive problems or when I would get a urinary tract infection. The probiotics in the yogurt really help with/prevent UTI's, as well as IBS, and yeast infections. Because the yogurt has good bacteria in them it prevents, and lessens the amount of time that I have had a UTI.

Anyways, I have to say besides making me feel better, the Dannon Activia yogurt also tastes really good. My favorite flavor is the strawberry banana. It's really smooth and rich tasting. It's one of my favorite regular yogurts.

I would definitely recommend it, because it's a great quick way to get probiotics in your system.

In case you are interest, here is the nutritional info: 110 Calories per serving, 2 grams fat, 5 mg cholesterol, 60 mg sodium, 160 mg potassium, 17 g sugar, 4g protein, 15% calcium, and 10% vitamin D.

It isn't the most protein rich yogurt, but it great tasting. If you are looking for a yogurt with a higher protein content I wouldn't recommend this one, but it is still very healthy for you.

Flavor/Taste
I always used to get the strawberry banana flavor. It is my absolutely favorite. For a regular yogurt it is very delicious, and has a great taste, flavor, and consistency to it.

Variety
Dannon Activia has a lot of different flavors and varieties such as vanilla, peach, black cherry, peach, and blueberry just to name a few. Dannon Activia also has Greek yogurt, fiber yogurt, and they even have yogurt drinks as well. So if you like the Activia yogurt, but want to try sometime different they have a wide variety of different things to try and choose from.

Consistency
It has a regular yogurt consistency. It is a thinner yogurt but it is very smooth and creamy.

Convenience
These are very convenient because they come in small containers that are easy to pack, and eat quickly when you are in a rush. You can get your daily yogurt in even when you don't have a lot of time to eat.

from Saint Petersburg Fl

Comments about Dannon Activia Yogurt:

I happened to try this as my wife had bought it and I was very surprised. First of all it doesn't tase like a healthy probiotic food. It's really smooth and creamy and I thought it would be different than it is. I was thinking based on the TV commercials that it would be bland and not very good. I was wrong. It's worth trying.

Flavor/Taste
Great taste, creamy, smooth and it satisfied my craving. On the plus side, it's supposed to be better for you than the average yogurt. It's a great alternative to ice cream or something like that as it has much less calories and still satisfies your craving.

Variety
I don't know much about the variety because it was my wife that bought it.

Consistency
It was very good from the first spoonful to the last and I had two containers. I'm a big guy so that's why. It's a very good yogurt. I recommend.

Convenience
Well it's pretty convenient. You simply pull the foil tab off and start eating. That's as simple as it gets.

Comments about Dannon Activia Yogurt:

This is a really good idea that Dannon had coming out with this yogurt. It has live culture probiotics in it that help naturally clean you out and keep you regular. This is a very tasty way to stay healthy and have a healthy digestive system when you do not like having to take pills. I would strongly recommend to eat one and only one a day, or even every other day, or you will be running to the bathroom a lot! I eat these a few times a week and they have made me less bloated and just make me feel better. They have a lot of really good flavors too.

Flavor/Taste
It tastes just like regular yogurt, smooth and creamy.

Variety
This yogurt comes in a ton of different flavors and flavor combos. They are all very good.

Consistency
It is very smooth and creamy with big chunks of fruit throughout.

Convenience
Very easy and convenient way to stay healthy while also getting a tasty snack in. It fills me up so I like eating them in between meals to avoid snacking on junk.

Will never buy again!!

Comments about Dannon Activia Yogurt:

If you enjoy constant diarrhea with severe lower back pain/cramping then by all means buy this product :/

The taste is good, but its not worth trouble, I think I'm off of
yogurts for good. (and no im not lactose intolerant and I do not suffer from chrons disease).

• Convenience:

BEWARE, Please read before eating!!

Comments about Dannon Activia Yogurt:

After seeing the Activia commercial my husband and I started eating it hoping it would help our digestive problems. BIG MISTAKE. Within a few days my husband became very ill and was in excruciating pain. I called an ambulance and he was takin to hospital, two hours later he was in surgery having his gallbladder removed. End of story?? No. A week later I woke up in excruciating pain, nauseous and having trouble breathing early one morning. My husband rushed me to hospital and needless to say I to ended up in surgery having my gallbladder removed. Doctors couldn't believe husband and wife going through that days apart until they found out we had been eating Activia!! The company needs to warn consumers of all the dangers of eating their product..

• Convenience:

Great yogurt choice to keep your digestive system healthy

Comments about Dannon Activia Yogurt:

I was a little hesitant about trying Dannon Activia yogurt because of the active cultures that it contains. I have a very sensitive digestive system and I thought this yogurt might be too harsh on my body. I was able to combine a high value manufacturer's coupon with a sale at my local grocery store and decided to try this yogurt because it was relatively inexpensive when I combined the coupon with the store sale. I am very glad I tried this yogurt. First, the taste is wonderful. Some brands of yogurt leave a funny aftertaste, but this brand does not leave an aftertaste at all. Second, I love the variety of flavor choices. I started with the vanilla flavor but soon added the fruit flavors to my weekly grocer list. Finally, I love the texture of this yogurt. It is smooth and creamy. Overall, I am very happy with Dannon Activia. It is not harsh on my digestive system and is a healthy breakfast or snack choice.