View more dVRs

Dish Network
DISH Network - DVR- DTV Receiver 100-Hours Video Recorder

DISH Network - DVR- DTV Receiver 100-Hours Video Recorder

I love skipping commercials

I can't watch live TV anymore! I can watch my shows in less time which means I can watch more shows in my limited time. It also means that I don't have to plan my life around my favorite shows. I can go out any night I want and not have to worry about missing my shows. Then when I have down time I can watch what I want to. Or if someone comes over in the middle of watching a show i can pause it and not worry about missing the end. I don't know if I could go back to not having one!

Record Your Favorite Shows for Future Viewing

Satellite television is something I never used in the past. With the popularity of standard cable and the competitive companies to choose from, I always stuck with basic cable for my television needs. But today, I have a new home in a new state so I decided I would try out satellite television for the first time. I selected DISH Network (the one offered in a bundled package with my phone service) and with this I now have the **DISH Network DVR-625 DTV Receiver**, a device used to operate Dish Network's satellite television system and record television programs. **Receiver/Recorder Commentary:** Dish Network satellite is one of several communication options available for residential use and it's one of the many products I have seen and heard about in the past but had no desire to use. I had heard too many negative comments from others about the reliability of Dish Network service and I could see no reason to switch from the service I was using if it meant possibly getting an inferior product. But with a new residence, I decided to give in and accept the offer to try Dish network and with the deal, I received this DVR recorder and receiver. Since that time, I have discovered a roughly equal share of pros and cons with this device. Among the cons, there are two things that are taking time to get used to with this device and one of them is the menu system. With the television set and receiver turned on, there are several ways to search for a program to record. If you already know what you want to record, then you can go straight to that channel. But if you would rather look for something to record for later viewing, you can use the menus to look up shows by subject. There is, for example, a Themes menu that lets you search for programming based on category, like sports, family, education, music, etc. Once the program is located, it's only a matter of setting the Record function. The other thing that is taking time to grow on me is the remote control that comes with this receiver. It is *loaded* with buttons and I still find myself pressing certain keys accidentally. Depending on what sequence of keys have been pressed in error, it isn't always easy to get back where you started. Sometimes, I get frustrated with the whole mess, shut off the television and receiver, then restart everything in order to get the receiver and the menus to reset. I am slowly getting the hang of this remote, however, and it is slowly becoming easier to use. Going back to the recording capabilities of this DVR receiver, I like the fact that the recording does offer some flexibility. One really nice feature is the option to start and/or end the recording of a program a few minutes early or a few minutes late. This is nice because it better ensures that part of the program won't be accidentally "cut" off from the recording. Also, if the DVR timer has been set for a sporting event, it automatically sets a late time of 60 minutes, to protect against a sporting event going into overtime. As far as the picture quality, this DVR receiver offers some very good quality- just as good as with a regular television program and every bit as good as the quality from watching a DVD. About the only difference I can see is when a program is paused. With a DVD, the image is frozen and looks perfectly clear. With the DISH Network DVR- 625 Receiver, the paused image is blurred a little bit. This usually doesn't matter to me since I use pause strictly to temporarily stop a program to take a break and have no interest in looking at the paused image on the screen. But this blurriness could be a problem for those who pause a program so they can take a closer look at the frozen image.

**Bottom Line Viewpoint:**

Overall, I am fairly satisfied with my DISH Network DVR- 625 DTV Receiver and it has worked well for me so far. There are several features that are available that I do not use, like the ability to play computer games, pay your Dish Network bill on your television set, etc. But from what I have used thus far, this seems like a good DVR receiver with good picture quality and good recording options. I might like it more once I master the menus but it seems like a good product from the Dish Network and I'm glad I received it as part of my introductory package deal.

Great DVR!!

from Ardmore, OK

Comments about DISH Network - DVR- DTV Receiver 100-Hours Video Recorder:

I used to have this DVR in my home until recently upgrading to a multi-room unit. This DVR is great and it will definitely make you think twice about ever watching anything Live on TV. You will learn to watch Television when you want to, not when your show happens to be on. It's a great device, but it would be so much better if you could record two programs at once. This is the main reason why we do not have this unit any more. Other than that it is great.

The menus are nice and the device is simply really easy to use. My wife's grandmother has one and I was worried about the learning curve. But after about a 10 minute lesson she was setting all kinds of DVR timers for her favorite shows. She is truly addicted to it! A lot of people don't like the fact that you can't add more storage and that this unit only holds 100 hours of programming, but once you think of it 100 hours is quite a lot if you aren't a television show/movie hoarder :)

Overall, this was a great introductory to a DVR and it certainly does change your "TV watching" life :)

• Capacity:
  • Recording Quality:
  • Settings/Features:

couldn't live without dvr

from Galesburg, IL

Comments about DISH Network - DVR- DTV Receiver 100-Hours Video Recorder:

ok, I could live without it but I wouldn't want to.  I't great for me because there are a few shows that are on before 8, tht I don't think my kids should watch.  I can watch them after they goto bed,   And I do work some evenings, so I can watch them when I get home.  LOVE IT!!!  and I have soe kids movies on there, so when they can't sleep, or I need thm to be dstracted or something, I just take them and put them on my bed and push play.  This is one of the things that makes life just a little easier.

Once you use a video recorder, you will never turn back!

from Rowland Heights, CA

Comments about DISH Network - DVR- DTV Receiver 100-Hours Video Recorder:

When Dish Network came out with their own video recorder, I got one right away because I knew Dish Network is reliable and has competent employees that could help me set it up and explain to me how it works. I never got Tivo because I didn't want to go through the trouble of setting it up and learning how to use it on my own. Once I got the video recorder, I was able to record all of the shows I normally would've missed when I wasn't home, got to watch all of my shows without any commercials, and got to save the movies I really liked in case I wanted to show it to others. Of course my favorite feature is being able to fast forward to pass up all of the commercials. I am so spoiled now that I hardly ever watch anything that is aired live. I always have to record it so that I can watch it later without any commercials. I can't believe I used to sit there and watch all of the commercials. Also, I can now go out without having to worry that I am going to miss my favorite show. It's well worth the extra money!

Love this Dish Network DVR...

from Hillsboro, OR

Comments about DISH Network - DVR- DTV Receiver 100-Hours Video Recorder:

I've been a Dish customer for many years now, too many to count possibly. I'm very happy with this particular DVR because I am able to record my favorite programs and enjoy them for much more than once. If I travel and am unable to watch tv, I can set my DVR and watch the programs when I get home. It provides great picture quality and it is easy to use for any Dish network customer because the interface is very similar to the other receivers. Being able to record up to 100 hours of video is what drew me in into this specific receiver. The Dish network programming is a plus but can be costly if you don't have an automatic payment set and/or paperless billing. I think that this receiver could use some improvement though, maybe have more storage but at least it's a start towards more advanced receivers. I would recommend this to current Dish customers and future customers as well. I am pleased with this receiver.

this dish dvr is great

from Denver, CO

Comments about DISH Network - DVR- DTV Receiver 100-Hours Video Recorder:

This dvr is good because it has alot of hours for people who like recording shows. its nice to be able to record the shows you like without having to use a vcr. and dish network is the best cable provider i have seen or used. ok so here are some positives about the dvr and later ill write the negatives. ok so the menus on the dvr are very easy to use and navigate you dont need to be tech savy to know what your doing. also its easy to find shows you want to watch and has a search button on the remote that lets you search for shows your gonna want to watch in the future and lets you set them to record or to automatically tune to that show at its specific time. it also saves you time when you need to record your shows because you dont have to set the start time and finish time you just click on the show you want and hit record and your done. ok now theres only 2 things i dont like. the fact that you cant record 2 shows and watch another while your recording the shows and that they should make something to where you can transfer shows from one dvr to another even if there not in the same house.

Hi, my name is Liz & I am a DVR-OHolic!! LOL

from Cleveland, GA

Comments about DISH Network - DVR- DTV Receiver 100-Hours Video Recorder:

If there was ever a rehab for this DVR then I need to check in ASAP! Soon our children will be asking the question did we ever have DVR's when we were growing up. They will be such a part of our culture that we wont be able to go without them! As of right now I have 168 shows saved on mine to watch! My husband gets mad because I now refuse to watch a show right when it comes on tv so I can skip the commercials! It takes less time to watch things and you are not strapped down to the tv afraid you will miss your show. Plus I watch alot of shows that come on at the exact same time and so this Dish Network DVR records them at the same time. My only complaint would be that I wish I could record more shows at once! LOL. In fact I have CSI on pause right now as I am typing this review! We were trying to cut some of our costs one time and my husband wanted me to send the DVR back and well.....lets just say I still have it! LOL

DVR makes life more convenient.

from Canonsburg, PA

Comments about DISH Network - DVR- DTV Receiver 100-Hours Video Recorder:

The DishNetwork HD DVR is absolutely amazing. It has given me the ability to not have to worry about missing tv shows if something unexpected happens. I have all my favorite programs set to record automatically. It has given me the ability to watch my shows when I feel like it instead of when the networks decide to show it. The ability to skip commercials as well is also an amazing feature. Now instead of watching the same old commercials I can skip them all together and watch the show without interruptions. The DVR was very easy to set up as well because I didn't have to do a thing. DishNetwork technician came to my home to set it up. The menus on the guide are very easy to navigate and easy to very user friendly. I can't believe how many years I went without a DVR. its a truly liberating feeling when I think back to the old days with out a DVR. It has really allowed me to live my life on my time schedule.

Love the DVR.

from Holcomb, KS

Comments about DISH Network - DVR- DTV Receiver 100-Hours Video Recorder:

The last time we moved we upgraded the network we were using and switched over to DISH Network, so naturally we got the DVR receiver/ recorder. This thing is great! I work all day and so when I can't be home to watch shows I can get them recorded. One of the nice things about the DVR is that you can set the recording to start a few minutes before the program is scheduled to start and then set it to record a few minutes after the program. This is nice when the What will happen next week? part comes on. One of the bad things is that you can't record programs that are right after each other, but on different networks. But it is a great luxury to have and I do mean luxury it is somewhat expensive. You can only record two programs at one time, which isn't too big of a deal. Another thing is be careful when selecting items to delete off of the DVR, maybe its the remote but there have been a couple of times I deleted things I didn't mean to and those shows are gone.

Love my Dish Network DVR- 100 Hours!

from Belcher, KY

Comments about DISH Network - DVR- DTV Receiver 100-Hours Video Recorder:

I don't think I could live without my Dish Network DVR Receiver that holds up to 100 Hours of television, movies and HD channels as well! I switched to Dish at the beginning of the year and love this company! Their service is better than any other network cable or satellite provider I've ever experienced. The DVR is unsurpassed by any of it's competitors and was the reason we acquired satellite television in the first place. I love the quality and ease of this DVR. It is so simple and it's remote has awesome features such as; pause, rewind, fast forward, play, stop, view live tv, switch to other recording. That's the neatest thing I've ever seen a DVR do, I can actually record two shows at the same time on different channels and watch a recording from the DVR at the same time. I can also pause in one room and then move to the other to resume the exact same program position I was in before! That's amazing! I highly recommend this to anyone!

I LOVE MY DVR!

from Middleburg, FL

Comments about DISH Network - DVR- DTV Receiver 100-Hours Video Recorder:

I signed up for DISH network a little over a year ago. So that is how long I have had a DVR-625 DTV Receiver and I don't know how I lived without it all those years prior. I had been so disgusted with the local channels' commercials and shows that I had just about quit watching them all together, not to mention that I would always forget to turn on the TV to see the shows I did want to watch. But with the DVR I can pause live TV so that I can take a break from my show (to tend to the kids or whatever) and come back and watch from where I left off, then be able to fast forward through the commercials. I can also record the shows I want to see and watch them when it is convenient for me. Then there is the 100 hours of space on the DVR that I can record and watch anytime. It is better than buying DVD's because when I am bored with the movie I can delete it off the DVR and replace it with newer movies or shows. I have already and will continue to recommend a DVR to everyone!