Other Facial Cleansers & Scrubs:

Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face Wash

Pros

Cons

Favorite face wash!

I had tried the dessert essence facebar soap, but it never really did anything for me.

I have bad acne that I'm taking medication for but my dermatologist recommended I try something specially formulated for my face to wash with that encompasses my vegan values.

I saw this at whole foods and decided to give it a try. It had the ingredients that my dermatologist recommend I get in a face wash!

I've been using this for about a month and it's so great! It doesn't dry out my face so I don't have to use a moisturizer afterward and my complexion has greatly improved and others have noticed too!

It's really watery so some people recommend using it in a foam pump.

I use this twice a day and wash with cold water as recommended and it certainly has helped the redness swell down in my face. I'm going to have to get this in bulk. Smells very fresh and clean too. Like really good actually. My friend used it once and I kept smelling it on him as we were hanging out in my room and I mentioned how good he smelled haha. I was trying to figure out what it was, and then I realized it was this facewash.

As a side note, I also use mostly dessert essence products. I also use their tea tree shampoo and conditioner and heat protectant.

A very natural way to cleanse

Good product, all natural, and always a good value at Trader Joe's. Cons: tea tree oil is strong so I highly recommend using care when trying to remove eye makeup. This product is best used for daily facial cleansing, with less emphasis on eye makeup removal. Do follow with a light moisturizer as this formula can be slightly drying.

Stops excess oil, but may burn skin

from Westchester, IL

Comments about Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face Wash:

My face produces more oil than normal especially during the summer for some reason so I sought out for a product that would alleviate this problem. A pharmacist recommended that I try Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face Wash. I wet my face first and pumped a pea size amount onto my middle finger. I proceeded to gently massage the liquid over my face for about 30 seconds. For those 30 seconds it felt like I had hundreds of tiny cuts all over my face. Once time was up I immediately rinsed off the cleanser with cold water. It took several minutes for my face to cool down and when it finally did my skin was painfully dry. I couldn't make any facial expressions without my face flaking and stinging. I was able to combat the dryness by applying a moisturizer. I was able to go the entire day without using oil blotting wipes because there wasn't any excess oil, but I noticed that I had a tiny burn mark on my right temple. I used this cleanser once again before bed and the next morning I woke up with a tiny burn mark on my nose. Both burn marks scabbed and went away after 4 days. I decided to stop using Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face Wash because the threat of constant burn marks are more harmful than excess oil.

• Ease of Application:

Beware if you have sensitive skin!

Comments about Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face Wash:

I was disappointed to find that Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face Wash was so harsh on my skin. I really liked the fact that this face wash is made out of many natural ingredients, because I'm health conscious and also have sensitive skin that can't tolerate many skin care products. When I first used this face wash, it left my skin feeling very clean and refreshed, giving my skin a silky feeling. However, after just a few days, that all changed: it started stripping my skin of moisture and irritating it. I really believe this product is just not for sensitive skin, regardless of what the packaging on the back may say. If you have oily skin, this might work for you. If you have dry skin, sensitive skin, and maybe even aging skin, I wouldn't recommend this product. Unfortunately, it's just too potent of a product. I really wish Desert Essence would make a sensitive skin version of this face wash, because I think it has potential in a milder, more soothing formula.

Ease of Application
Squirts out thin liquid quickly, so you have to be careful.

• Ease of Application:

great for oily acne prone skin

Comments about Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face Wash:

been using this for 7 years I wish I knew about this in my high school years.. It really gives you a thoroughly clean wash.It dries my acne without drying my skin and it shrinks my pores. i love this product I even use it all over my body, Its my staple face wash

Ease of Application
I find its best to rinse off with cool water almost like it zaps your pores shut

Favorite face wash!

from Lothian, MD

Comments about Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face Wash:

It's really watery so some people recommend using it in a foam pump.

• Ease of Application:

Will NEVER use another face wash!

from Las Vegas, NV

Comments about Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face Wash:

I love this face wash... if I could get away with leaving just a 5 word review, I would end it there. I have dealt with acne since a young teenager and tried everything I could to get rid of it. I even was on Proactiv for a few years and although it worked wonderfully and cleared up my skin, I dealt with drier skin, occasional skin inflamation, and bleached out wash clothes (from the peroxide). I started becoming more conscious of the various amounts of chemicals in beauty products and how they are absorbed into the body and began looking for other skin care alternatives. I began reading up on more natural skin regimes and read about the effects of tea tree oil on acne. Several people on a site said they had switched to tea tree oil products from Proactiv. I thought I would give it a try, came across Desert Essence's tea tree oil-based products and I haven't looked back! I have a bottle of this face wash in the shower, on the sink, and on the tub. I also have a huge bottle for refills that I keep under the sink. I use it all the time and will only stop using it when Desert Essence stops making it (which I hope will never happen)!

A very natural way to cleanse

from Livermore, CA

Comments about Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face Wash:

Desert Essence thoroughly clean face wash

from Phoenix, AZ

Comments about Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face Wash:

At last I found the cleanser that is natural, simple, very reasonably priced and effective! Love, love, love it! I buy mine online (iherb), and it's cheaper there than in our local farmers market store. I have a pump bottle which got me started and now I always buy a refill (32 oz) - it's so much cheaper this way. Yes, it's very thin but this is what the pump bottle is for - to make the whole process easier for us and it does a great job. I find the smell rather pleasant but I really don't mind the smell of the tea tree oil either. It may feel a little greasy at first but it does cleanse your skin thouroughly and gently at the same time without harmful synthetic chemicals. It burns your eyes pretty bad so be careful and keep them closed while using it. This cleanser is the proof that you don't have to pay much to get a quality face care product.

Fantastic!

from Sewickley, PA

Comments about Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face Wash:

This is by far the best face wash I have ever used. My skin in very acne prone, and I've used probably every face wash available in stores without really noticeable results. One day I was looking through organic face washes online and came across this product. With all the rave reviews it received I had to try it, and I've never looked back! My face is more clear now than it ever has been my entire life!

The only complaint I can see having for this product is the smell. It is a very strong smelling product (my boyfriend absolutely hates it). When I first started using it I could hardly stand the smell myself (I had to hold my breath to use it lol) but now that I'm used to it I can hardly smell it at all. It also can be a bit drying. I use [Kiss My Face Peaches & Cream w/AHA ][1] after every use and it balances my skin out very well.

If you have any sort of acne problem or are just looking for a great natural face wash, this is highly recommended!

[1]: http://www.viewpoints.com/Kiss-My-Face-Peaches-Cream-w-AHA-Moisturizer-reviews

Smooth skin, clear conscience

from Ellington, CT

Comments about Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face Wash:

Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face Wash is an excellent product. It's basically just pure castile soap and herbs -- no scary, evil, or toxic ingredients. My dad introduced me to this product when I was a break-out prone adolescent and I fell in love. Most of the face washes on the market - all of which used forms of salicylic acid as the primary ingredient - did nothing to cure the breakouts but did manage to irritate and dry out my skin. This product, on the other hand, really did help clear up my skin leaving it smooth and soft.

Now that I'm pushing 30, I still love this product. It doesn't cost an arm and a leg; I feel good about buying something that is cruelty-free and petroleum-free; and it still works great.

Tea tree oil, a natural antibiotic, is a primary ingredient, and I have found this product to be excellent at cleansing other bacteria-prone regions, like feet.

The smell is an, um, acquired taste. I actually kind of like it, but I've had years to get used to it.

All in all, though, I highly recommend this product.

Natural Cleansing

from Pittsburgh, PA

Comments about Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face Wash:

I like Desert Essence face wash because it is an all natural cleanser with tea tree oil.  It does not have any chemicals or pore clogging elements.  A little goes a long way as well. One squirt and thats all you need. I have been using this product for about 2 years and i've only had to buy it 3 times!  An 8 oz. bottle can last 6 months or longer!  They also have a large refill size for the 8 oz. or travel size bottle.

I use prescription acne medicine that cannot be combined with Salicylic Acid or any other harsh chemicals that are found in many acne washes.  It is gentle on the skin.

The only thing I do not like about this product is that it can leave skin a little dry but nothing that a good moisturizer can't remedy. I usually try to apply my moisturizer as soon as I am done washing my face so dryness does not occur.

This product can be purchased at Whole Foods- I have not found it anywhere else so far.  It is the best natural cleanser I have found- I have looked at Jason's cleaners and they just don't compare in terms of ingredients and price. Hope you like this product as much as I do!