View more routers

DI-624
D-Link Wireless Router

D-Link Wireless Router

3.9

I get rock-steady connectivity from my D-Link DI-624.

I've had a D-Link DI-624 wireless router in operation in my home for about three years and it has been quite reliable. Any computer with a wireless adapter can connect to it, provided I install the password for access.

**What It Is**

The D-Link DI-624 is a small wireless router that connects to my Verizon DSL modem. In turn, I connect a hard-wire Ethernet cable from one of the four Ethernet ports on the DI-624 to my main computer, which happens to be the computer on which I'm typing at this moment. The DI-624 then has wireless connectivity throughout my small home and it provides a strong signal anywhere in my home. I have two other computers that I regularly connect to the DI-624 wirelessly, and sometimes a guest will bring a computer that also connects with no problem -- as long as I supply the password.

The DI-624 can connect at speeds up to 54 Mbps, which is MUCH faster than my DSL service. In reality, that speed is theoretical and probably only available if the networked device is within a couple feet of the DI-624. The fact is that I can easily get the maximum speed of my DSL service to the two computers that are about 20 feet away and through a couple of walls. That's fine for my needs.

**How Does It Work?**

Setting up the DI-624 was a bit tricky. The initial unit I brought home failed in a day or two, but the store replaced it with no problem. The second unit needed to have the latest version of its firmware installed, as well as passwords saved and several settings (such as the firewall) enabled. I had to call D-Link for assistance, which was helpful and reasonably prompt. Once the unit was finally configured, it has been rock stable -- even through many power failures and long-term outages. Today, I can plug any of my computers into the DI-624's Ethernet ports or connect wirelessly and the unit works fine, no questions asked and no hassles given.

The bottom line is that the D-Link DI-624 has been a paragon of reliability for me, and that's something I value.

**Summary**

Once past the initial configuration stage, the D-Link DI-624 has been absolutely trouble free and does exactly what it is supposed to do with no fuss at all. That's something I can recommend.

Had intial issues, but has been ok since.

The D-Link AirPlus Xtreme G DI-624 router was one of those devices that seemed to be most compared to a Microsoft product.  At the time it was the cheapest 108 MBps wireless router, which is the main reason why I bought it.  Originally I had issues with it constantly dropping connection as well.  I ended up finding out that the majority of the issues were from the built in wireless card in the laptop.  In order to take advantage of the fast speeds, I bought a D-Link AirPlus Xtreme card that functioned at 108 MBps as well.  The connection is very fast, however I was still having frequent issues with it dropping.  Occasionally I would take the laptop elsewhere and would not have issues on any other wireless network.  Finally I found that there was a firmware update that said it would fix the dropping issue.  I did the firmware update, and now it would drop connection and stay down.  When I would check the router, all the lights on it would be lit up solid, and I would have to unplugg it for 30 seconds to do a full clear.  Tried resetting the router, but still had the issues.  Finally, I found that there was another firmware update that was newer than the one I had on there, so I figured what the hell.  I have not had a single problem with it ever since.  Setup is fairly simple, and it does the job pretty well if you ask me. It has been up for over a year now without a single issue, and all it took was two horrible firmware updates.  For this reason I rate it average, because all thought it was terrible before this last firmware update, it has been functioning as I would have dreamed it to function ever since, however I refuse to do another firmware update on it just in case.

04 zone d/3 - bloc bat - n 568

from yes

About Me High bandwidth user

Pros

• Easy To Set Up
  • Fast
  • Highly Compatible
  • Secure
  • Small

Cons

• Bulky
  • Insecure
  • Slow
  • Unreliable

• Home
  • Large Office
  • Secure Networks
  • Small Office

• Primary use:
  • Personal
  • Computer Platform:
  • PC

Had intial issues, but has been ok since.

from Campbell, OH

• Setup & Ease of Use:
  • Service & Support:

Even I was able to set this up and make it work.

from Cincinnati, OH

Comments about D-Link Wireless Router:

I purchased this from an on line supplier with a rebate offered.  This made the price very reasonable, even with shipping.  I am not the most computer literate person when it comes to setting things like this up.  But even I was able to set the wireless router up with no problems.  The only problem I have had is setting up a secure link.  I followed the directions and still wasn't able to make it a secure network link.  I just turn it off when I am not using it.

Easy to use, lots of features

from Oklahoma City, OK

Comments about D-Link Wireless Router:

Highly recommend this wireless router.  Loaded with features and security that are missing from many other routers at this price level.  Easy to use web based interface - you can use your favorite web browser and configure a very secure wireless network in about 5 minutes.  The ability to disable the SSID broadcast - which hides your network's "name" from snooping hackers - and use WPA with a preshared key (WPA-PSK) makes solid security a breeze for anyone from the novice to the advanced user.  They also deliver solid connections regardless of the wireless card or device in use - unlike some others which only like their brand of wireless card installed in your notebook or desktop PC.  D-Link is the brand I recommend to my customers, friends and family; as well as the brand of network hubs, switches and routers I use in my home and home/office.

one of the best wireless routers for your connection!

from Bellaire, MI

Comments about D-Link Wireless Router:

This wireless router is a need and is a must for anyone with a poor or a lack of a fast or regular connection!! People have a slow or dial-up connection and need to have a high speed internet connection so they do not know what the heck to do. i advise you to get this wireless router for your computer or laptop pc if you need to get a high speed connection where one is found or located. get this as a holiday gift for christmas and do your computer work with speed and accurate connections!!

Easy and reliable

from Osseo, MN

Comments about D-Link Wireless Router:

This router could not be more easy to use. You honestly just plug it into the wall, and your computer picks up the wireless signal. I have never had any problems with it.  I love the simplicity.  The instructions it comes with are also very clear, and easy to use.

Works Well at our home!

from Walkerton, IN

Comments about D-Link Wireless Router:

It works well at our home, but it would be nice if it had a little more reception, but over all a good unit!  We are business owners and are constantly on our computer.  It is very important that we have a unit that is reliable and easy to use.  Not only do we use it for the buisness but we also use it for personal use as well!

It has good points, but I think it's over rated.

from Saint Louis, MO

Comments about D-Link Wireless Router:

I think this router has it's good points. It's fairly simple to set-up. I was able to walk thru it with my ex girlfriend over the phone. I had to send her the manual in the mail, but she was able to follow along with me.When you get everything set up, there is very little maintenance. You'll only need to touch it to reset it (and in my experience, you will need to reset it).Cons: The default name is "default", so if other people have the same router, (in the same apt building, for instance) you may not know exactly which D-Link Router is yours. You may have to connect to "default (2)" or "default (4)" or something to get to yours, depending on how fast your wireless card picks up the signal. The whole point is to be "wireless", so it sucks that you have to be hardwired with an ethernet cord to configure or update the firmware on the router.

Love it

from Chicago, IL

Comments about D-Link Wireless Router:

It was all you can expect and a little more. Sometimes wireless is advertised as the best but with too many interferences they just don't do the job you need them to do. This one is better than any other wireless routers I have used. Good value for the money.

D-link wireless router works but not fantastic

from Boise, ID

Comments about D-Link Wireless Router:

The d-link wireless router was cheap and worth it because it works for all my needs. Because the wireless router has a pretty Fast connection. The router has a fairly long range for connectivity but like all routers the signal drops a little bit as it goes through walls. The router is cool because it has a removable antenna which can be useful if you want to replace the antenna with a nicer one. You can go into the settings of the d-link di-624 and actually configure your firewall to your own liking. The router is very compact and lightweight which is good for mobility and transportation. The bad things about the router include the fact that it is lacking in a stand for the router leaving you clueless as how to place your router on a desk. It can get to hot for horizontal positioning and so a vertical stand would fix that but there is no such stand. It has problems occasionally connecting to different devices like certain acer laptops and iphones but to fix that you have to reset wireless settings on the device that can't connect. The DI-624 is fast, and it combines easy installation with advanced security options, making it a good choice for homes and offices alike.