Other Elliptical Machines:
Cybex
600A
Cybex Arc Trainer

Cybex Arc Trainer

A crazy looking cross trainer that just might beat my elliptical

I am not an expert in exercises equipment, not even close, so I won't pretend.  All I will say is that I have been using Life Fitness and Precor Elliptical for the last several years and I saw the **Cybex Arc Trainer** at the gym and tried it out.   It is a little crazy looking, but I have to say, I felt like the inclined climbing motion gave me a better work out in my thighs than the elliptical does.

It is like an elliptical although the pedals seem to float and it provides a climbing motion that works different parts of your body.  I have tight hamstrings and it seemed to really get them warmed up.  I was sweating more after 30 minutes on this machine than I normally do on the elliptical.

The web site says: "it provides the "right way to work out." The Arc Trainer was developed with the "correct arc of motion," a user-friendly path that reaches new heights in biomechanics. It delivers a safe, effective workout based on body basics, not fitness fads"

From the other reviews I have read on the web it is a big hit and it looks like they have just released a home version as well.

There is a company paid for study that compares the eliptical to the Arc Trainer:  http://www.cybexinternational.com/Products/Data/Docs/620A/Arc Trainer vs Elliptical Study.pdf

Cybex Arc Trainer is user friendly and gives a good workout

The Cybex Arc Trainer gives a good workout as far as elliptical machines are concerned but I have found the incline changes slightly confusing (the Arc Trainer has inclines ranging from elliptical to fit hiker) but I use it at the gym - perhaps if I had the manual it would be clearer. However if you are looking for something with a wide range of incline for different workouts and with a wide range of resistance, this is for you For a more basic elliptical machine than this might be more than you want. Lots of different preset workouts to choose from (for both hikers and non-hikers alike). This machine is great for hikers who are looking to keep in shape during colder months and still be able to climb those steeper inclines in the spring. Also great for giving a wide variety of workouts with just one machine. Arms get a workout too - and you can workout different muscle groups depending on the way in which you stride during your routine.

Favorite machine

Comments about Cybex Arc Trainer:

The arc trainer is my favorite elliptical in my almost 15 years of working out. I love how comfortable it is to use yet it gives you a great workout. I sweat the most on this elliptical so you know you're burning calories. The pedals are comfortable and glide smoothly whether I go fast or slow. I think the smoothness makes my workout easier because you forget a little that you're working really hard. This is my favorite at the gym!

This machine always makes me sweat but is fun to use because of the smooth motion.

Comfort
I like the smooth glide of the pedals which are big and treaded so my feet don't slip.

I like how easy and fast I can program in my desired time, level and program.

Very sturdy; always felt safe on it.

I like the design because I had handles, water bottle holder and little shelf for phone and music player. I like how big the display is and how I can hide or show how much time passed or is left.

• Comfort:

can't live without the elliptical

from Torrington, CT

Comments about Cybex Arc Trainer:

This is the one and only thing i do at the gym.  Gives me a great workout and i feel great afterwords..  something that works upper and lower body..  You can use only your arms, pulling the weight of your body, or even just hold on to the handles and let your legs do all of the work!!!! Next time your at the gym try the elliptical for about 20 min

The Cybex Arc Trainer is a really great cardio workout!

from Evanston, IL

Comments about Cybex Arc Trainer:

I injured my knee a couple of months ago, and my doctor told me to stop running for awhile. Not just running-pretty much any cardio activity that requires me to bend my knee, eliminating both a stationary bike or elliptical machine from the picture. I really was missing working up a sweat for awhile and looked for other options. I saw the Arc Trainer at the gym, and thought I would give it a try.

Let me tell you-this is a great cardio workout! I have been SO happy to have found a machine that does not have any knee impact. As a matter of fact, I do not bend my left knee at all while on the Arc Trainer. I burn a surprising number of calories with almost no resistance (still need to be a little gentler than normal because of the knee). It works both arms and legs, similar to an elliptical but with even less impact on the knee.

I would highly recommend the Cybex Arc Trainer for anyone looking for a great workout that has knee troubles!

Arc trainer- the closest you cna get to running

from Travelers Rest, SC

Comments about Cybex Arc Trainer:

After 2 intensive knee surgeries I found myself unable to run for quite a few months.  This was a huge sacrifice for me being a college runner and semi-professional runner.  I joined a gym looking for an exercise that would give me a great cardiovascular workout and still allow me to train all of the muscles that I would train while running but without any impact.  I am blown away by the arc trainer.  It is better than running in many ways, mainly that since it is not weight bearing you can workout at a high intensity every day.  The arc trainer mimics all of the movements of natural running. This arc trainer even allows you to make adjustments for your stride so that you don't feel like you are over extenindg yourself.  An eliptical does not allow for this.  The arc trainer is easy to use and has multipe settings for whatever workout you like.  I reccomend the hill workout or the interval workout. Remember to set your stride first.

It is a much tougher workout then some other ellipticals

from Joliet, IL

Comments about Cybex Arc Trainer:

This is one tuff machine.  You literally feel like you are climbing a moutain.  This machine has many different settings so you can mix things up as much as you want to.  What I don't like about this machine is the placement of the bottle holders and for other micellanous things.  It is a far reach if you are a book or magazine reader and want to turn the page or  when you want to change settings on the machine it feels like you really have to stretch your arms out to reach the controls.  It could be that I have short arms, but I don't think so.  You can really feel the machine working your quads and glutes.  The machine has a great range of motion.  You can go from feeling like a casual walk or like you are running a marathon up hill to the highest mountain.  You can also change the direction of pedaling from forward to reverse to get that momentum broken up a bit.  I think this machine is a fantastic bank for your buck!

horrible experience for joints

from Houston, TX

Comments about Cybex Arc Trainer:

They say that this is the next generation in elliptical trainers. In fact many gyms that I have joined have said this. But don't get fooled. This is just a poor excuse for not being able to buy a real elliptical trainer. The cybex arc trainer can perhaps be a good machine for some people, but for most people who use ellipticals (for the purpose of having less stress on joints) this machine does the opposite. Yes it does not stress the knees so much but the swinging movement is really really bad for the ankles. Some people have strong ankles and for them, this machine is great. But for me, it put so much stress on the ankles that I had to stop. In the whole workout, the ankles stay stiff as you swing your legs back and forth, in a very unnatural and uncomfortable motion. I feel like if I don't pay attention to the work out (i.e. read something or watch some tv) then I'll injure myself badly on this machine. Don't buy it!

Easy to operate

from San Mateo, CA

Comments about Cybex Arc Trainer:

I am reviewing the Cybex Arc trainer eliptical machine. I use this machine at my local Snap Fitness gym. It's a great machine for many reasons.It's very user friendly so it's easy to get your work out started. The machine has a huge variety of work out options from pre-programmed work out routines to a free workout that you can pace yourself.I really love this tredmill! My mother baught one and I have benifited greatly from it! It has plenty of differnt settings to use including speed and incline! It's a great workout for anyone who doenst have time to get out there and run around the block everyday! The treadmill has some impressive features.  There is an easy to read display console so you can see your workout numbers by glancing at them.  The controls which include power incline on the Proform 750 treadmill are within easy reach so adjustments can be made without stopping your workout. I had never used an elliptical until about a year ago, and i love it. I have lost 113lbs in a year. It is easy to use, even my daughter likes to get on it.

Arc Trainer seems to hit the Glutes well. Great Cardio Machine

from Yuba City, CA

Comments about Cybex Arc Trainer:

Just got a few of these in the gym i work out. Kind of awkward at first but you can really feel it in your glutes (butt ;)) when you are using it. It is a nice change from classic elliptical, bike, and treadmill.

Cybex's Arc Trainer is my favorite cardio machine

from Indianapolis, IN

Comments about Cybex Arc Trainer:

It took me a while to build up the courage to try out this machine at my gym.  I have been exercising on elliptical for years, but I wasn't quit sure what to think of the Cybex Arc Trainer because it looks similar to the elliptical trainers most people are familiar with, but the movement is different in a way that is really hard to explain.  You just have to see it for yourself.  Long story short- I now use this machine every time I do cardio and rarely use the traditional ellipticals at the gym.  This machine is smoother (which is especially great for me because I have bursitis in one of my hips and have to be careful to minimize impact) and a better overall workout.  My gym offers models both with a without moving handles.  I definitely recommend the model with moving handles for maximum calorie burn and a full body workout.  I like that there are heart rate sensors on the handles.  I am routinely able to maintain a higher heart rate on this machine than on others I have tried.  I especially like the results I get on the interval program.  Also, I am tall and I sometimes have problems with my knees hitting regular ellipticals.  This machine is a a good fit for my long legs.

Cybex Arc Trainer is my favorite cardio

from Orlando, FL

Comments about Cybex Arc Trainer:

I tried it the other day at my sister's gym and loved it. We have only 1 Cybex machine in my gym...I think it's the best kept secret. I think people may not like how it looks, not so glamorous, but man does it do the job!!

- This machine gives a fuller more complete leg motion than the elliptial

- Thighs get a great workout

- Great on joints