3.8

Curves Fitness Center for Women

3.8

Pros

Cons

30 minutes is all you need!!

I was extremely overweight and I had tried every diet and workout program and couldn't find anything that worked well enough that I would stick to it. I decided I would try curves because it gave me a chance to get out of the house and have me time, while I worked out. I liked that you worked in a circuit and every month or so they would rearrange the equipment so that it never got boring. I loved that they measured you once a month so that you can see your progress, and the people were SO supportive. It was all women so you never really have to feel uncomfortable like in a regular gym. I saw results within a month of going there, and I lost more weight and inches than I had ever lost before, and it wasn't as hard as I had imagined it would be. I feel that curves it a great program that anyone could get excited about. They walk with you every step of the way so that you never feel alone or confused.

Too social a setting for me.

I really needed to get in shape, and having tried other 24 hour type places, I thought I'd be more comfortable in a women's gym.  I chose CURVES.  It seemed to have it all, as it was within a mile of my house, i could walk there & get a bit of cardio as well a a workout.  The first few times I went, it was quiet, and the owner left everyone alone unless someone needed help with a machine.  As I continued going, I enjoyed the streching and workouts alot, but the atmosphere inside changed, and not for the better.  My schedule varies from day to day, but generally, mornings are best for my workouts before 10.  My CURVES center hired some new people after a few weeks, one of whome was quite a busybody, and encouraged the other ladies to be the same way.  I started this gym a a way to comfortably workout, not to make friends or have early morning conversations about BillyBob's cousin's baby!  I even wore earphones & music to try to distract & discourage the talking, but it didn't work.  I spoke to the owner who told me to come at different times.  UGH!  All i wanted was peace and quiet!

Surprising results in one month

from New Windsor, NY

Pros

• Boosts Energy
  • Easy to Manage
  • Easy To Use
  • Great Staff
  • Helped Lose Weight
  • Improved Joint Movement
  • No Side Effects
  • Works Quickly

Cons

• Body Toning
    • Daily Use
    • Energy Boost
    • Weight Loss

Comments about Curves Fitness Center for Women:

I never expected to see such great results in just one month of joining Curves. The staff was supportive and I felt very comfortable getting back into a daily exercise routine. I had concerns regarding my arthritis and old knee injury but with their help and encouragement each workout got only better each day. I'm looking forward to each visit and hope to reach my goals. Thanks so much Curves!!!

• Gender:
    • Female
    • Where did you hear about this product?:
    • Friend or Family Member
    • Which of the following is the most important to you?:
    • Convenience, Price, Quality

For elderly beginner exercisers ONLY!

Comments about Curves Fitness Center for Women:

If staff and owner does not believe in strengthening and improving the health of ALL women, Curves is not the fitness center for women. The club I recently went to obviously caters to elderly women who want to socialize...not exercise.

Not effective for developing strength nor cardio health in women who are beyond beginner fitness level.

Side Effects
    Encourages socializing....not improvement in strength, flexibility, or improvement in cardio health beyond beginner exercising.

Real easy to use equipment. Yet staff has to be competent enough and willing to assist women on the use of the equipment.

• Side Effects:

Joys of Working Out in Harbor Springs

Comments about Curves Fitness Center for Women:

Harbor Springs Curves in Michigan is such a warm, caring place for workouts. The venue is attractive and well-maintained. The owner and staff are professional and attentive, as they encourage members to reach fullest potential. It is beneficial to my health and well- being to exercise in such an outstanding facility.

It's ok for beginners

from Hendersonville, NC

Comments about Curves Fitness Center for Women:

If you are just getting started on your weight loss journey or just trying to get more in shape, Curves may be a great place to start. It would be a good idea to take advantage of their one week trial that you can get for free so you are able to see for yourself if it is worth signing up and joining. You pay by the month, but you sign a one year contract so you will have to pay a fee if you decide to cancel your membership within the year. The great thing about Curves is that when you are just starting out learning how to go to the gym, you are more likely to be uncomfortable if surrounded by a bunch of weight lifting guys and gals. It is intimidation that often causes us to skip the gym, and Curves is a very relaxed environment and you are surrounded by a bunch of women just like you. The only problem I have with Curves is that it is easy to become bored with the routine. The zumba circuit is great, and they offer a lot of wonderful nutrition advice but if you are seeking the full gym experience, then you may want to look elsewhere.

Women Only!

from IN

Comments about Curves Fitness Center for Women:

When I first heard about Curves Fitness Center for Women, I assumed it was just like every other gym out there. I was pleasantly surprised to find out I was wrong! This is a facility dedicated to women, from the purple interior to the all women staff of fitness experts. I love the station intervals, moving from exercise machine to spring board keeps me moving, motivated and working all different body parts. I received one on one instruction when joining, something that costs extra at other gyms, all the women in the workout area are friendly, there is no sense of competition as we are not there to become body builders, but rather lose weight at a healthy pace. Curves weighs and measures you to help you track your progress and keep you on track for your personal goals. The monthly membership fees are very reasonable, I am able to have them directly paid from my account, so I do not have to remember to bring a check in each month. i personally feel Curves is the best place for women of any age to come to exercise in an upbeat, friendly environment where they will be supported along their fitness journey!

Curves; fitness program geared to women

from Moundsville, WV

Comments about Curves Fitness Center for Women:

I tried a free session at one of the local Curves. I loved the program overall, but would prefer to take the sessions at a slower pace, at least while starting out. I did have medical clearance for the exercises, but do have some mobility limitations and there weren't too many options to adjust. The trainers were great and did help with some modifications, but it is a regimented routine carefully timed out.

For the majority of women, it is excellent! As my mobility issues have improved, I'm considering trying it out again. Be prepared to sweat!

The pricing is affordable and the group/class atmosphere helps everyone push themselves to do their best. I felt comfortable working out there.

Do try it out, you owe yourself a more fit life!

Good Exercise, Bad Facilities

from Hartford, CT

Comments about Curves Fitness Center for Women:

A friend of mine religiously works out at Curves several times a week and she gave me a free one week trial so I could accompany her on our lunch break. I figured it couldn't be too bad so I went along with her twice.

I really liked the friendly atmosphere and the women only clientele. It was great that the workouts were only 30 minutes so you were in and out and could get it done during your lunch hour and still have time to spare.

I really felt like the employees and other women exercising were really positive and encouraging, helping this newbie along.

I found the exercises to be a bit fast paced for this newbie, but I'm sure I would have caught on quickly. I didn't like having to jump up every few minutes to move to a new station. I never really felt like I finished an exercise and I was on to a new one, like Alice at the tea party.

The ultimate deciding factor for me is that this is a workout facility with no showers! You get all sweaty and then they expect you to either drive home sweaty and nasty or go back to work sweaty. Um, no. Not going to happen. Thankfully my company has showers so I was able to take advantage of those, but I had to walk several blocks back to work looking sweaty and greasy. Thankfully I did not run into any fellow employees!

Overall, this may be good if you're just going home afterwards and don't mind driving home sweaty, but it is absolutely NOT for lunch time exercise!

Lost interest rapidly with this mundane workout!

from Stoughton, Wi

Comments about Curves Fitness Center for Women:

I was a member of Curves fitness center for women for approximately three years and I have to say that initially I was impressed with my experience. During the first year of my membership, I lost 18 pounds and dropped three dress sizes. I liked the fact that they weighed and measured you frequently which really motivated me to continue working out. However, I seemed to reach a plateau during my second year of membership and I was not impressed with my weight loss. I did maintain my initial loss of weight and inches but I could not seem to drop more weight! I think one of the biggest problems with this type of workout is the lack of variety with the exercise. It seems like your body just becomes accustomed to the workout and it ceases to be effective! I did feel more muscular and trim but the lack of variety bored me to tears! It became such a chore to get motivated to get myself to Curves, even though it was only a 30 minute workout! I thought if I heard the phrase, "change circuits now" one more time it would put me over the edge! I suppose any exercise is better than nothing at all but I would not recommend Curves for a long term commitment. It just lacks the variety I need to keep me interested in exercising!

Not for the young

Comments about Curves Fitness Center for Women:

Overall when I heard about Curves fitness center for women I was so excited. When a Curves opened up close by I jumped to the chance to give it a try. When I went to sign up the manager was so friendly. I felt their customer service was amazing. They gave me a trial free week to decide if I wanted to sign up. Curves is essentially a circuit training gym. They have several stations and when it's time to switch stations there is a loud beep on the stereo that plays in the gym. I loved that it was women only. Sometimes at big gyms you can feel very intimidated. I didn't feel like I was being judged so I did think that was wonderful. I did notice that most of the members were over fifty. Ordinarily this wouldn't be an issue but I'm in my twenties and I was finding it hard to be motivated. I never actually felt like I received a good workout at the gym. There are no weights on the machines they are just resistance. I think this is a perfect gym for a woman just starting her journey with working out.

More for beginners

Comments about Curves Fitness Center for Women:

When I first started going to Curves Fitness Center for Women I wasn't very impressed. It's okay, but not at all the best. There wasn't very much equipment to workout on, and I just wasn't satisfied. I thought it would be convenient due to the closeness, but it wasn't worth it. I would only recommend this to someone who is just starting to workout.