3.5
CB-5BCHSA
Cuisinart SmartPower 5-Speed Blender

Cuisinart SmartPower 5-Speed Blender

3.5

Sturdy blender with some flaws

Comments about Cuisinart SmartPower 5-Speed Blender:

We have always appreciated the excellent quality of Cuisinart products and own a variety of small appliances from this manufacturer. The blender is heavy and sturdy and does some forms of blending well, but I would likely purchase a different brand once this unit stops working if not sooner.

When using ice in the blender, it regularly jams up and does not create a very smooth texture. Incorporating yogurts or milk to the mix improves the smoothness, but the blender should be able to handle chopping of ice much better for the price point.

When used for purees, this works well in the absence of a better suited food processor. In a pinch I have used this blender to puree baby food, whip up salsas or other dips, and blend veggies for various recipes. I have not found a good way to end up with chunky chops of vegetables, but if you are going for a puree this blender does the job.

While there are some limiting functions with this blender, it has held up with over the years and does serve a purpose in some instances. Don't expect great blender drinks from the Cuisinart blender unless you plan to smooth out the ice chunks with ice cream, yogurt or milk.

• Blending Power:
  • Versatility:

It Has Been a Part of The Family for Over 10 Years of Hard Use

Comments about Cuisinart SmartPower 5-Speed Blender:

We bought our CB-9 when it was at CostCo a long time ago. Over the years we've used it A LOT. I make smoothies, including frozen strawberries, 3-4 times per week and my wife discovered making a great vegetable drink (try it - collards, kale, frozen strawberries and banana, plus a little honey if you like). I'm ordering our third blade assembly, but the motor keeps on going.

• Blending Power:
  • Versatility:

Average blender

from Lees Summit, MO

Comments about Cuisinart SmartPower 5-Speed Blender:

This blender is a true middle of the road choice. It can blend for the most part, but it does need a bit of coaxing when adding ice or really frozen items, and you have to be conscious of the liquid to solid ratio to really get a good "blend" going with this blender. Once you learn it's limitations and capabilities through trial and error it can be a useful tool. I like that it has a wide base at the bottom and seems like a solid piece. It has not fulfillef all my blending dreams and doesn't do it's thing quickly enough to make it a feasible thing to use daily to say blend a quick smoothie. I usually make enough for several and then freeze 1 cup portions to make the time and cleaning of this worth it. I have yet to meet a blender that I really loved so I am just thankful that this one is still working motorwise and that doesn't get that smoky smell that some do when working hard.

Not bad, but not great either!

from Clayton, CA

Comments about Cuisinart SmartPower 5-Speed Blender:

I purchased the Cuisinart SmartPower 5-Speed Electronic Blender because I was hoping for a blender that would hold up and take a pretty good beating.  On the plus side, this blender looks nice sitting on my counter top.  Some of it's more promising features are the 2 oz. Measured Pour Lid, which allows me to measure and add ingredients without removing the cover.  It also has a 40 oz. glass jar so it holds quite a bit, and has remained leak-proof thanks to the rubber gasket that holds the glass jar snugly in position.  The Cuisinart SmartPower 5-Speed Electronic Blender also crushes ice, which is nice when you are making a frosty adult beverage, or a smoothie for the kids.  Now for the downside.  With 5-speeds I really thought this blender would do a great job of chopping nuts, grinding hard cheeses and spices, and grating citrus zest.  However, I have found that it only takes the grinding just so far.  I am constantly having to turn this blender off and stir whatever it is I am grinding, so that it grinds everything, not just a few pieces.  This gets extremely frustrating when I just want to grind and go.  With 2 kids and numerous sports activities, I don't have time to keep stopping the machine.  Even with smoothies, I am finding more and more that I have to stop, take off the lid and stir what is inside to get the contents all nicely blended.  I've tried adding more liquid to see if that helps, which sometimes it does, and sometimes it doesn't.  This is the main reason I am only giving the Cuisinart SmartPower 5-Speed Electronic Blender 3 stars.  If it had a little more power I think it would have earned 5 stars.  Again, it does look very nice on my countertop.